• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Front vs. Back

Chef, I noticed in your bio that you got your start in the front of the house. As you know, in many restaurants there is an unspoken rivalry between the front of the house staff and the kitchen staff. Does your experience in the front inform you behavior as an executive in any way? Do you think your perspective -- I assume most chefs have never worked the dining room as servers or managers -- helps with front/back relations in your restaurant?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

It certainly helps with relations front and back of house, normally to the good. It makes a chef more tolerant as you then know what the poor soul dealing with the recalcitrant diner is going through, or the woman who can't cope with the whole fish smiling at her. It doesn't always work with senior floor staff as it is easier to spot their mistakes and thje perceived criticism however well intentioned is invariably poorly received.

From an executive pioint of view it is invaluable as you understand all aspects of the business better.