• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

LF Alpharetta Butcher

NYC Mike

Hi All,

NY Butchers is no more and we are bummed since they were so close to where the kids have their practices etc at Newtown Park.

Now we have a problem :-), Publix, Krogers meat depts. are fine for a quick chicken or pack of chops in a jam but not really. Whole Foods and Harry's are really way too expensive and I'd prefer not to shop there at all if I can help it.

Anyone know a good cut to order butcher nearby? Google and Yahoo give me nada! I'd rather not drive intown if I can help it.

Also, anyone know a farm within 2 hrs-ish drive that butchers their own pigs for sale? Neiman Ranch pork belly is damn good but I think I can do better, cheaper and support locally at the same time.

Thanks!

-Mike

Edited by NYC Mike (log)

-Mike & Andrea

Looks like I am really up a creek with this one.

Broke down and called Harry's and the new Whole Paycheck in Duluth and neither had even heard of pork back fat although I did get the one of the guys in Duluth to try and say it real fast three times! The Harry guy tried to talk me outta wanting it lol! :laugh: You want your pork really lean he says.....

In-Town ATL or outside, anyone know a butcher? :raz:

-Mike

-Mike & Andrea

Looks like I am really up a creek with this one.

Broke down and called Harry's and the new Whole Paycheck in Duluth and neither had even heard of pork back fat although I did get the one of the guys in Duluth to try and say it real fast three times!  The Harry guy tried to talk me outta wanting it lol!  :laugh: You want your pork really lean he says.....

I once asked for pork belly at a Whole Foods and the guys working behind the counter (I guess I won't call them butchers) had no idea what I was talking about. They gave me a phone number to call back and speak with their boss if I wanted to.

edited to add: Sorry you lost your butcher and good luck with your search; it may be a ways off but you should be able to find something with Atlanta at your disposal. This scene is being played out in so many places across the U.S. My parent's are down to one German butcher where they live in central CT; down from 6 or 7 in the 70's. But I guess this is a another thread topic...

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I love the meat at Dekalb Farmer's Market. Seems like they have every cut you want, but I've never asked for pork back fat. Give them a call. Better yet, go in person and check it out. Worth going to whether they have your meat or not.

Agree with Voodoo: Dekalb Farmers Market will cut just about anything you can explain that you'd like. They do a lot of the butchering on site (though not the slaughtering), so the key will be managing to convey to the staff what you'd like. They've recently switched to a new pork vendor, and the meat is supposedly tastier and less fat-deprived than what's sold in the supermarket these days. I've purchased some, but keep managing to be away on those nights when it's served (by my husband, who can cook but doesn't think too much about it).

Can you pee in the ocean?

Agree with Voodoo: Dekalb Farmers Market will cut just about anything you can explain that you'd like. They do a lot of the butchering on site (though not the slaughtering), so the key will be managing to convey to the staff what you'd like. They've recently switched to a new pork vendor, and the meat is supposedly tastier and less fat-deprived than what's sold in the supermarket these days. I've purchased some, but keep managing to be away on those nights when it's served (by my husband, who can cook but doesn't think too much about it).

I tried the new pork (Berkshire Farms) the other day. I have been making the same pork chop recipe for a while now, 90% of the time with Farmer's Market chops. I noticed the difference immediately when I cooked up some Berkshire porkchops, and I wasn't even looking for it. It's pretty dang good.

YDFM is the best.