• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vegetarian Eats - London

Heya all,

My father is coming for a visit next weekend and we'd like to go out to dinner. I'd like to bring my girlfriend along. London is not Paris, however, so I'm wary of just finding a spot and crossing my fingers.

I'd like:

1. Somewhere quietish where we can have a conversation

2. Somewhere not too far from Zone 1 (easier for all involved)

3. Somewhere where there are a few vegetarian options

4. Somewhere with good service

5. Not too expensive! £20-30 without drinks per person.

No restrictions on cuisine type...

I live in Cambridge so I don't get around London restaurants that often. Any suggestions would be welcome and appreciated!

You're right, London's not Paris, so you can assume that most places will be able to do a couple of vegetarian options without resorting to steamed veg and cold quiche.

Having said that, the really serious veg-friendly places (Morgan M, Rousillion) are a bit far into zone 2 and too far up the price scale.

It's my experience that herbivores tend to like mezze or tapas, perhaps because the communal ordering of lots of small stuff means they don't look quite so fussy.

Salt Yard and Tapas Brindisa are excellent but chaotic and noisy, meaning you'd probably be better with Noura Central or Fino.

Of course, if it's you and your girlfriend who are the vegetarians and your dad's a strict steak and chips man, then the admirable thing to do would be to go here, here or here. You won't starve.

The "admiralty" on the strand is also supposed to do a great vegetarian menu, Arbutus in Frith street also has a couple of great veggie options and is worth a visit.

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

The "admiralty" on the strand is also supposed to do a great vegetarian menu

Indeed, although that great menu has now accompanied Morgan Meunier to the wrong end of Islington. What remains is the usual combinations of goats cheese/wild mushroom/beetroot ravioli/gnocci/risotto (delete as applicable). Okay if you get a deal, but not worth making a detour for otherwise.

I always think Indian is a good option where veggies are involved. South Indian for preference. You could try one of the Rasa chain, or Mela. Alternatively, for the adventurous option, Szechuan at Bar Shu.

I always think Indian is a good option where veggies are involved.  South Indian for preference.  You could try one of the Rasa chain, or Mela.  Alternatively, for the adventurous option, Szechuan at Bar Shu.

Mela has some lovely vegetarian dishes.

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

On the Indian theme, there's also Woodlands (one in Marylebone Lane and another in Panton St - both Z1) - tasty thalis and relatively good value...

The Tas chain has a good mix of carnivorous and vegetarian dishes - locations in Waterloo and Borough - Turkish/Anatolian style so lots of grilling, but none the worse for that, and certainly in your price range. EV is a Tas spinoff near Waterloo East Station - has a different menu and is a bigger space. They have a lovely shop next door selling very good homemade breads and excellent Turkish Delight :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all!

I ended up going to Noura Central, on Jermyn. Exactly what I wanted - we ordered mezzes to suit our varying palettes, and some Lebanese wine that was on offer. Had a wonderful time, good service, very nice surroundings...

Thanks all!

I ended up going to Noura Central, on Jermyn.  Exactly what I wanted - we ordered mezzes to suit our varying palettes, and some Lebanese wine that was on offer.  Had a wonderful time, good service, very nice surroundings...

I was recently impressed by a meal at Carnevale in Whitecross St - near the Barbican centre:

http://www.carnevalerestaurant.co.uk/

The reviews at

http://www.carnevalerestaurant.co.uk/reviews.html

agree with my experience ...

David Stocks

Thanks all!

I ended up going to Noura Central, on Jermyn.  Exactly what I wanted - we ordered mezzes to suit our varying palettes, and some Lebanese wine that was on offer.  Had a wonderful time, good service, very nice surroundings...

I was recently impressed by a meal at Carnevale in Whitecross St - near the Barbican centre:

http://www.carnevalerestaurant.co.uk/

The reviews at

http://www.carnevalerestaurant.co.uk/reviews.html

agree with my experience ...

David Stocks

It is indeed a truly wonderful restaurant for veggies. Just very small and so hard to get into. The cafe style Indian next door (or two up, I forget) is also quite brilliant

It no longer exists, but it was lovely.