• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

More fun with Peeps

sparrowgrass

Thanks, sparrowgrass! This was quite funny. One of my favorite lines:

Unfortunately, mild deformation of the patient resulted

:biggrin:

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
[This year]adoration [of Peeps] has become a little more formal: Several leading newspapers, including the Washington Post, the Seattle Times and the Miami Herald, are sponsoring Peeps-inspired art and diorama contests.

(Those interested in just what a Peeps diorama might look like can check out peepsshow.com, which features Peeps dressed up in mock wedding ceremonies, packed into vast chicken coops, or--disturbingly--wedged into a Kentucky Fried Chicken bucket.)

Full story in MediaPost's Marketing Daily.

I can't stand to eat marshmallow Peeps, but I love what's being done with them artistically! :raz:

Edited by SuzySushi (log)

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

• 3 weeks later...

And then there's jousting with peeps.

Carefully disconnect a pair of peeps (a sharp knife works well).

Give them a toothpick lance apiece.

Array them in the microwave, facing one another.

Start the microwave.

First one to melt loses the joust.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

And then there's jousting with peeps.

Posted a few years ago to a local forum in New Orleans:

Some friends who grew up with Peeps brought many colors of them to an Easter party and demonstrated the "Peeps Joust" in a microwave oven... It was bizarre, the two foam candy animaloids warped and distorted into grotesque, unnatural shapes.  Putting little animal figures into a chamber and nuking them seemed an odd amusement, with even sinister overtones -- the sort of thing associated with ghastly dictatorships, or idle students at MIT.

• 2 months later...