• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Homage to Philly BYO's

DTBarton

A look at the Philly BYO scene (and a bit of jealosy) from today's Post food section.

BYO is illegal in my home state of Mryland where the alcohol distributors have owned the legislature for ever so we can't join in the fun.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...7030600285.html

May require free registration.

Out of curiosity, why would the distributors care about BYO? A bottle sold retail equals a bottle sold by a restaurant, as far as they're concerned, no? I would think the hospitality industry would be the ones with a stake in keeping their markups.

I quite enjoyed the article, but then it's pretty much the way I've felt all along, so it was easy to.

Out of curiosity, why would the distributors care about BYO? A bottle sold retail equals a bottle sold by a restaurant, as far as they're concerned, no? I would think the hospitality industry would be the ones with a stake in keeping their markups.

I quite enjoyed the article, but then it's pretty much the way I've felt all along, so it was easy to.

Agreed. Whether you buy a particular bottle from a state store, or from a restaurant, it still comes from the same distributor. At least in PA. However, every state seems to be different. Perhaps in MD. the stores are able to bypass local distributors and buy direct from suppliers (wineries) or other sources. (I don't know if this is the case... just thinking out loud...)

__Jason

BYO story #6142: a friend who used to work at Audrey Claire swears that several years ago a party came in with tequila, margarita mix, bagged ice and a blender, and asked the hostess for a "table by an outlet."

Possibly apocryphal, but from the horse's mouth.

"I've been served a parsley mojito. Shit happens." - philadining

Agreed. Whether you buy a particular bottle from a state store, or from a restaurant, it still comes from the same distributor. At least in PA. However, every state seems to be different. Perhaps in MD. the stores are able to bypass local distributors and buy direct from suppliers (wineries) or other sources. (I don't know if this is the case... just thinking out loud...)

__Jason

I don't know why, just that it is that way. Like many states, lobbying from the liquor distributors maintains the prohibition against having wine shipped to you in MD also.

Perhaps this law stems from lobbying by restraunteurs who profit well on wine sales.

The bottom line is, this is MD state government. Logic usually doesn't enter into it, unless the logic lobby coughs up some serious coin! :laugh::angry:

BYO story #6142: a friend who used to work at Audrey Claire swears that several years ago a party came in with tequila, margarita mix, bagged ice and a blender, and asked the hostess for a "table by an outlet."

Possibly apocryphal, but from the horse's mouth.

I'm actually not suprised by that.

I'd be more suprised if that or something similar with other drinks/liquors/etc. hasn't happened at least a few more times among the many BYOBs around.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.