• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Goat's milk kicks ass, or at least cow

Fat Guy

A couple of weeks ago, on a whim, I bought a quart of goat's milk (from Coach Farm in New York). I don't know what I was expecting, but I was surprised upon tasting it that I liked the flavor of goat's milk far more than cow's milk. I bought another quart a week later.

Why isn't goat's milk more popular? I should say, why isn't it more popular all over the world, because there are surely places (e.g., Greece) where it's plenty popular. At US$3.99 a quart, it's not particularly competitive with cow's milk at 89 cents a quart in these parts. But it's better, and I'm sure with expanded production the price gap would narrow.

Are any of you fans of goat's milk? If so, what can you tell us about it?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I haven't experienced this myself, but I hear that baby vomit from babies that are fed goat's milk is exceptionally nasty-smelling.

My brother-in-law was allergic to cow's milk when he was an infant and was fed goat's milk for a while.

It doesn't taste like goat cheese.

It does taste sweeter and richer. I think it may, objectively, be sweeter and richer.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I prefer goat's milk to cow's but the price gets old fast. I would have it fairly frequently if it were less expensive. I particularly like it with cereal. It is also great to make cajeta, the Mexican dulce de leche or caramelized milk.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

My sweetie raised all three of her kids on fresh goats milk that she milked. I've never seen any of them with even a cold. Its the kids in the sterile city environment who are always getting sick.

Goat milk is expensive because goats only produce about a gallon a day and they don't produce anything for about five months a year.

Her one boy got in trouble in gramer school when the teacher asked the kids "where does milk come from?" He got into an argument with her because everyone knows it comes from goats.

When I was a baby I was allergic to everything under the sun. Including cows milk and could only digest goats milk.

Seems like I don't see it as often in stores any longer.

I can't remember if my 'regular' supermarket out here carries it but Trader Joes does.

I typically just use it making cajeta (delicious) as docsconz mentioned but maybe I should try tasting it more on it's own.

(Pretty cute story, StanSherman!)

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Been digging the Redwood Hill Farm goat milk yoghurt lately.

The plain makes an excellent addition to my morning oatmeal (with a spoonful of honey).

It seems to agree with my digestive tract a bit better than cows' milk.

I've heard they also make the goat milk yoghurt for Trader Joes.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I have been noticing Liberte' goat's milk yogurt in my local supermarket recently. It's pretty good.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz