• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. inputting 1 tsp: and that illustrates the issue.
  3. Not sure what you're looking at. When I do the search it says 6 grams per teaspoon (Edit: 0.2116 oz). I just measured 1 tsp of table salt and it was 7 grams (on my scale that only measures to the nearest gram). I measure salt by weight all the time (usually in greater quantities). Edit: Do people in Europe measure in ounces? I think America is the last bastion of that antiquated measurement system.
  4. I haven’t made these in years, but I found some really nice sun dried tomatoes at the Buford Hwy Farmers market. These are soaked in vinegar with sliced garlic, herbs, parm, olive oil and capers. Really good with goat cheese or burrata and grilled bread.
  5. wow. seldom have I seen more absurdity on the web.... using "1 tsp salt" the best it comes up with is 0.099 ounces per teaspoon. everyone in Europe - where tsp is not so common... - has a scale that will measure 0.099 ounces
  6. Or have Henry do it. The Airedales I've known have had disapproving glares down cold.
  7. Yes, in the app you can rate each meal and comment on any issues you’ve had. I’ve noticed some meals marked as “revamped” which I’m assuming means they changed something about the item to cook it better.
  8. Today
  9. I haven't read every page of this thread to see if this has been mentioned before, but wolframalpha.com does conversions from volume to weight (or vice versa) - often with the option to select specific products. For instance, if you type in '1 tsp salt', it will allow you to select among coarse sea salt, kosher salt, fine sea salt and kosher flakes (is just 'salt' table salt? I don't know) But sometimes with other products it gets down to specific brands.
  10. I downloaded the app. The Apple App Store says there’s a 3-month free trial then either $38.99/year or $3.99/month and that’s what I was offered. Not sure if there are better offers floating about. I haven’t entered my payment info so I can’t see any recipe details.
  11. Alex

New Guardian Feast App

I see only a 14-day free trial. It looks like there's free access for certain supporters of the Guardian (money level, I imagine).
  12. It is not yet available for android. They list monthly North American prices for this as $3.99 for US subscribers and $2.99 for Canadian subscribers. I have a feeling those prices should be reversed? In any event, I'll be giving it a test drive when they come out with the android version.
  13. No. Which is reprehensible, I'm sure. Notwithstanding that @gfweb can just stare sternly at his oven until it behaves.
  14. I’m not a bread baker so I can’t speak to that aspect but I would not be without a steam oven and would certainly take a look at the Gaggenau combi steam wall ovens when you are shopping. They have a clean 2-knob interface that allows you to control both temp and steam in small increments. They come in a generous 30” width with either a left or right hand door hinge Unlike a lot of the touch screen models that let you choose the food or dish and let it go, the Gaggenau expects the user knows how cook so there will be a learning curve if you are new to steam but it is programmable and lets you save recipes if you want. The downside is the cost. They’re $$$
  15. The Guardian have just released a companion app for their Feast supplement (weekly magazine that comes with the Saturday paper). https://www.theguardian.com/help/insideguardian/2024/apr/17/introducing-the-feast-app I've only had a brief look at it but it seems really nicely designed and has a few handy features like the ability to save notes for recipes and a cook along feature that keeps the screen live with easy step by step instructions. It also has in-app conversions for US measurements/temperatures if you're so inclined. The main draw for me is the recipe quality is really good, I love sitting down with my Saturday morning coffee and picking out a dish or two for our weekly menu. It's subscription based but at £29 a year it feels a decent deal. Six month free trial too. Example recipe which we had for dinner tonight was the chipotle chicken and black-eyed bean salsa from here
  16. I used one of the little Dorothy's cheeses I got at Trader Joe's to make this Throwback Baked Brie with Spicy Honey Upgrade from The Global Pantry Cookbook and really enjoyed it. The recipe calls for brie, honey, sour dried cherries, Calabrian chiles, thyme and toasted black walnuts. I say it's a great template for either a baked cheese appetizer or even a very upgraded grilled cheese sandwich Pick a soft, ripened cheese, a sweet syrup, a tart, dried fruit, something spicy, a compatible herb, a toasted nut and it will be delicious! I used that Dorothy's Garden Secrets cheese, a mix of unsweetened dried cranberries and dried sweet cherries, Bomba sauce, thyme and toasted walnuts. The recipe says to serve with crackers and apple slices. I say bread rules but the apples are good, too.
  17. blue_dolphin

Breakfast 2024

Yeah, I would. Takes a while but leaves you free to do other things and provides an alternative to quickly frying eggs at the last minute to put on top of something. I generally like a crispy fried egg but this is a pretty low fuss way to get that look of a pristine fried egg without any brown bits. It uses a fair amount of oil (at least 1/8") and starts in a cold pan so the yolk kind of bobs on the surface while the white cooks gently as the oil warms up on the lowest of simmers. I have small cast iron skillets that would be good for 1 or 2 or 3 eggs. For a crowd, you'd need a big skillet and a lot of oil.
  18. I've never used the self clean feature of my ovens. They look pretty clean to me....not sure why they don't get cruddy.
  19. I have an Anova Precision Oven (Combi oven, sous vide, steam, dehydrator, etc.) about which I'm mostly thrilled except that it DOES NOT HAVE A SELF-CLEAN FEATURE. Just to put this in perspective, every oven I've owned since 1997 has had a self-clean feature. 😡
  20. TicTac

Dinner 2024

Appreciate that. As fresh and awesome as the king salmon was, the star was the tuna, IMO. I highly recommend seeping some bonito in a good quality soy (you can also add things like sliced garlic or chives, which I used in this case) and then strain and apply. Great flavor. I think the VW might net you a few extra portions....
  21. rotuts

Dinner 2024

@Dejah scroll up on this thread I use ground turkey , Iused to make a 4 star meatloaf w ground turkey I do better w gr turkey than beef , ie flavoring etc. but now use the ' loaf ' for all sorts of things. my local brand , Shady Brook Farms simply presents a loaf in the standard sized plastic boat its ' thicker . 20.5 ox or so vs 1 lbs. its what I can easily get and work with its not worth a trip to find it , by brand , its ' wet ' etc but it goes on sale , and why pay more? some time ago in CA , at Detmiers their ground turkey was turkey they ground themself. not wet etc but this is what I can get an I can work w it.
  22. Dejah

Dinner 2024

OMG! I was looking back to see....There is such a song... I should just have checked this page! 🤪
  23. Dejah

Dinner 2024

@rotuts: Good afternoon, Have to post here as you cannot receive messages. I read your post about pan grilling a pad of ground chicken? turkey? for use in a salad. I thought it was a brilliant idea and wanted to try it for my next salad lunch as I have several packets of ground meat in the freezer. BUT, I couldn't find your post again, after going back several pages. Can you point me to the post / the page where it appeared? Thanks!
  24. Like @Dex said, 240V is technically available but little used here. In fact a 240V outlet is often referred to as a "dryer outlet" since that's one of the few routine uses. That Aussie 240V CF is awesome.
  1. Load more activity