• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Hi! Very glad to be here)) Love baking, travel and singing
  3. Darienne

Meeting-friendly snacks to bake

Thanks Elsie, but I had already found a recipe for cookie butter and will try it soon. I figure it's because we don't eat out much and don't eat commercially prepared foods that we are still alive and kicking...
  4. HungryChris

Dinner 2019

Why, Thank you, @CatIsHungry, I am pleased to read that. HC
  5. liamsaunt

Dinner 2019

Friday i made tuna burgers Last night I made grilled chicken and black bean quesadillas
  6. Wow, congratulations! Those bowls look great, and the price is wonderful. I don't recall even seeing them in the shop. I'd love to see a side view if you're so inclined. Please tell more about it being "organized for chaos". What happens when the doors finally open? Is it a mob scene as reported for Black Friday post-Thanksgiving sales in shopping malls and Walmart, or are people more polite? Was there time to browse and go back to something you'd seen earlier, or did you have to grab fast?
  7. Last night we tried the Chicken Thighs with Salami and Fennel recipe from JAZ's Ultimate Instant Pot® Cookbook for Two. This is a very nice flavor combination. I tend to be leery of fennel because of its association with anise, but the sweetness of the bulb comes through and the licorice flavor doesn't. I need to use this vegetable more.
  8. lemniscate

Camping, Princess Style

@Smithy I made it to the Saturday sale! I thought getting there at opening bell was the smartest thing, however, it was already mobbed because people get there at 0:dark:thirty to wait in line to get the best selections. It was quite organized for chaos though. I needed bowls so I was looking more for shapes instead of design. I found these almost raku-like bowls that are great sizes and I love the colors. I don't even know the patterns name. I think I spent `$70 for 10 pieces. (water bottle for scale)
  9. Today
  10. Duvel

Dinner 2019

Sunday night ... Pizza with mushrooms and salami White pizza with shaved green asparagus and Camembert
  11. chromedome

Food recalls

A couple of recent alerts that came in while I was busy packing and moving: Nationally, salmonella in some Compliments brand (ie, Sobey's, Safeway and related stores) chicken strips. http://inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-05-24/eng/1558738971471/1558738974286 Quebec only, Pousses et Cie branded spicy microgreens mix might be contaminated with L. monocytogenes. http://inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-05-22/eng/1558549526741/1558549527573
  12. JoNorvelleWalker

Dinner 2019

Reprise of Dorie Greenspan's Fresh Orange Pork Tenderloin. Vanilla ice cream not shown.
  13. sartoric

Tasting Japan

Breakfast at our Ryokan onsen was almost as special as dinner. There’s a flame under this beef. Onwards through beautifully coloured countryside to Kyoto. And these little treats, an egg batter filled with shrimp and fried in kinda mini muffin pans. Served with soup and Mitsuba. A modern day isakaya, four tables with room for say 24 at a pinch. Note the coat hangers for your jacket. Happy owner who made us very welcome Some gratuitous supermarket shots, round the corner and open 24 hours.
  14. Modernist Pantry just sent me an email promoting their glucose powder. What a coincidence!
  15. sartoric

Tasting Japan

@BonVivant yes we did sake tasting in two places. Didn’t get to Shirikawa-go, my motto is always save something for next time We did try the hida beef too, (even though I try not to eat animals these days which was difficult in Japan). Lovely photos.
  16. Dante

Dinner 2019

Tonight's dinner- steak tips with herbs de Provence, with Swiss chard, served over grits
  17. That should be somebody's tagline. (Maybe I'll change or augment mine!) If nothing else, it characterizes a great meal!
  18. We haven't made it there yet, but are looking forward to it. The VMA is an outstanding museum for a city the size of Richmond.
  19. TdeV

Dinner 2019

Looks fabulous, @Ann_T. Recipe please?
  20. Thanks, zooming worked. You'd think they would want to mention something like that in the product description.
  21. Had not made a patterned Joconde in quite a while so I made a hazelnut and chocolate mousse tort. Came out a little rough, but overall happy since it had been a couple of years. Rushed the freezing (or lack thereof) of the first mousse layer and the buttercream layer fell into it. Great practice and look forward to making more!! Chocolate spongecake base, patterned joconde, and ganache Layers from bottom: Chocolate spongecake, hazelnut praline feuillitine, chocolate mousse, Bailey's buttercream, Chocolate mousse, and ganache. Spongecake did not really go well with it and will change it up in the future.
  22. chef rubber has a glucose powder, you could inquire about DE https://shop.chefrubber.com/item/501214S/Glucose-Powder/
  23. If all goes well tomorrow - I will be making “my*” Coconut Filled Coconut Bundt Cake tomorrow ... *Its not mine - It’s a recipe on King Arthur Flour and it’s delicious. I sub the milk for coconut milk and don’t use lemon - I have an aversion to lemon. Coconut Filled Bundt Cake
  24. CatIsHungry

Thanks for posting that @ElsieD - that is the brand I prefer - although I hear many wonderful things about TJ’s brand of cookie butter. Cookie butter is a wonderful thing - sub it anywhere you would use Peanut Butter or nut butter - (or - since I introduced my mother-in-law to it - do as she does and eat it straight up — with a spoon 😉 ) ...
  25. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073FSY76/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=b4bbef4e-170e-463d-8538-7eff3394b224&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00JTNSB6O&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=WTPXM7WTR8F2TEJ7G27B&th=1
  26. Darienne

Wow! Never heard of cookie butter before. A whole new vista opens up. Thanks, CatIsHungry.
  27. Vague range in my world! A little more or a little less matters naught - a whole lot more - well it might over temper more quickly. I've reached the point where I can look at the amount of chocolate I have and figure out how big a scoop I want to put in there. I just pretend to use the scale most of the time.
  1. Load more activity