• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. btbyrd

Food Safety Question

No joke! This is a rule I also follow. People should have a thermometer in their oven, but they should also have two in their fridge -- one on the top and one on the bottom shelf. And you should organize it so that perishable foods that can contaminate things (like raw meat) are physically lower in your fridge so that they only "contaminate downwards." It's the "trickle down" theory of fridge safety.
  3. Paul Bacino

Easter Menus

Italian Meat Boats
  4. Today
  5. lindag

Food Safety Question

I think a big factor is how cold your fridge is. i keep mine at maximum cold. Recently I put a frozen chicken in the garage fridge and three days later it was still rock solid. (I like my beer cold.)
  6. chileheadmike

Food Safety Question

Ten days is really pushing it.
  7. IowaDee

Trader Joe's Products (2017–)

My daughter gave us a pouch of the mango sauce and I have no idea what to do with it. I love all things mango though. Going to go and check out the reviews now.
  8. blue_dolphin

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

The other day, I picked up the Kindle version of The Dim Sum Field Guide: A Taxonomy of Dumplings, Buns, Meats, Sweets, and Other Specialties of the Chinese Teahouse by @Carolyn Phillips for $1.99 US, sadly not similarly reduced on Amazon.ca I'd been intrigued by this since it came out as it sounded terribly cute but I didn't want to spend $15 dollars on it. I knew the book contained the author's own drawings of the various sorts of dim sum and was worried that it might be awkwardly laid out in the Kindle version. The "Look Inside" feature didn't display any of the actual listings but I figured it was worth a try for $1.99 and was pleased to find that it actually works quite well with a hyperlinked table of contents, index and handy links to related items within the text. There's a nice intro to dim sum up front, which you can see via "Look Inside," followed by individual listings for a pretty wide assortment of dim sum items. It's a charming little book. Here's one of the listings, captured from my phone so you can see that it is indeed a field guide and not a cook book as some negative Amazon reviews apparently thought. The inclusion of a section on "Nesting Habits" cracks me up!
  9. chromedome

Easter Menus

That's pretty much how it ended up, except with cabbage in lieu of cauliflower. Pan rolls and buttermilk biscuits, because we had some who liked each so what the heck. The cobbler plus a cake and caramel sauce (a favorite of my sweetie, who's back on keto now that the holiday meal is over). Only 10 of us at table, in the end, though my GF's sister joined us via Skype from the opposite coast.
  10. Is t here anything to be made of the different shapes? Sphere vs. cone?
  11. Okanagancook

Food Safety Question

http://www.henkovac.nl/support/shelf-life-table
  12. That's my favourite argument for trolling Sicilians, 100% success. Teo
  13. I agree 100% with @jmacnaughtan: classics are classics for deserved reasons and call for classic aesthetics. I would choose your riz à l'impératrice over anything by Bachour and Grolet. One of the most frequent choice for home-made tiramisu is a product similar to graham crackers, they are thin as you'd like, but probably are too dense. I would not underestimate the use of stale bread, it's perfect for soaking with flavoured liquids. Teo
  14. Okanagancook

Food Safety Question

When in doubt...... Chicken is cheap enough.
  15. gfweb

Food Safety Question

lol Sniffing doesn't detect everything and the strongest immune system on earth won't stop a toxin that has built up in the food. But its a good start.
  16. From this morning's BookBub email: IMHO, generally speaking, this cookbook on tacos is on the same level as any cookbook on grilled cheese sandwiches...really? You need a recipe for this? "The Taco Revolution: Over 100 Traditional and Innovative Recipes to Master America's New Favorite Food" Kindle Edition $1.99US Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to view a couple recipes. I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.
  17. Fof

Cooking plain old chips

Guys, Gals and any others out there. @liuzhou - Spot on. Yes I am in the UK. Will try Maris Piper @btbyrd - As you say " There is no "best" or "correct" way to do anything." I have had a few 'debates' over the years, regarding this, not just in cooking but in other fields as well. It seems that over the years, there has been a race to see who can make something simple, as complicated as possible. In cooking, Heston Blumenthal comes to mind, as a prime example. I am a simple person, who likes to do things the simplest way i.e. lazy. Enough of this though. Just for interest, I went down to my local store, earlier, and checked out the spuds. They had:- English Red - red skinned, white flesh, waxy. 2.5kg bag only. Maris Piper - floury. 2.5kg bag only White potatoes - floury but who knows what variety/varieties they are, ie generic. Loose medium sized spuds or bagged, small, medium and large ones. That's all my choices. Keep the comments coming, please. I am really enjoying this thread😁 Fof
  18. Toliver

McDonald's 2013–

I think their scaling back their menus wasn't an all-day thing but rather for late night customers. I imagine it would make it easier for the over-night crews if they didn't have to make complicated or "fussy" menu items.
  19. I had to turn off AdBlock and Ghostery, and then disable the native content blocking in Firefox as well. Ordinarily I don't bother, but I reasoned that I was unlikely to ever visit that site again...
  20. scott123

Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Budget? Portable or a permanent fixture? What kind of output are you looking for- ie, what's the maximum number of guests you plan on entertaining? Edit: What do you plan on using this for? For pizza only or are you planning on making roasts or loaves of bread?
  21. btbyrd

Food Safety Question

My immune system is a beast, so I usually just use the "sniff test." I'm very sensitive to off-flavors in poultry, so microbial safety is usually less of a practical issue for me than palatability. So if you're feeling frisky, I'd say give it a sniff and roll with it. But caveat eater. I probably wouldn't serve it to my grandmother or kid sister.
  22. kayb

Food Safety Question

OK. Got a question. I took a package of chicken breasts out of the freezer and put them in the fridge to thaw about 10 days ago, and forgot them. They're in a vacuum sealed package. Safe or not safe?
  23. Pastrypastmidnight

Wood Fired Pizza Oven

My friend has an uuni and really likes it. I think just the smaller one.
  24. blue_dolphin

Trader Joe's Products (2017–)

I stop in at TJ's often but usually on autopilot so I tend to miss new items. Thanks to @lemniscate's intro and @Maison Rustique's specific suggestion, I went in search of these and came home with 4 new-to-me items: All the veg are in shelf-stable packs at RT, the mango sauce was in the refrigerated section and has a "use by" date that is fast approaching. I'm looking forward to trying it on falafels, then we'll see what else it would work with. Most of the reviews I've found online give me the impression that its flavors are more mild than potentially more authentic versions. I have no experience to compare it to. The packaging on the veg and tomatoes say they are dried in ovens, so prob not sun-dried.
  25. Kim Shook

Dinner 2019

Dinner last night started with a butter lettuce salad w/ a saba and olive oil dressing: Main course was a breakfast casserole from Taste of Home – Eggs Benedict Bake with béarnaise sauce (packet): Serving with the sauce: This was good. Not great, but we liked it. It needed some oomph. It took a lot longer to cook than suggested and the Canadian bacon dried out a bit. I think if I do it again, I will get thick sliced ham from the deli and use chunks of it.
  26. What you need, sir, is an elaborate mould. Preferably in the shape of a game animal or architectural masterpiece. Then you can start to add your candied fruit, flowers, sugar paste, whittled candy, blown sugar, live birds, dancing ladies, etc. Then some kind of trolley to wheel it in on, plus various pyrotechnics to amuse and terrify your guests. I think that's very much the way to go with the old-fashioned moulded desserts. Thanks - I did think about that, but I wanted some kind of structural integrity and a relatively thin layer. When I use a sponge layer, it's down to well under a centimetre, and I think it would be a little complicated to do that with ladyfingers (which, incidentally, I make as the sponge layer itself). I think I may buy a brioche next time, slice it down and possibly toast it slightly.
  27. gfweb

Cooking plain old chips

I never said it was "the best or correct way" . I didn't imply it either. I described how I often make fries with the potatoes I have on hand.
  1. Load more activity