• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. heidih

Dinner 2020

Oh at least here in the 80's it was the girl at the pick up bar always "chardonnay". Heavy oak and yucky then. Food follows the path of life travel... we do move on
  3. Hassouni

DARTO pans

I have that one, it's an utter behemoth
  4. There's the 35 cm paella. Do you really want to be flipping a 35 cm steel pan with one hand?
  5. Margaret Pilgrim

Dinner 2020

ABC, "anything but chardonnay," became wine snobs chant some years ago, referring to not well made bottles. These same people slurp white Burgundies.....so go figure.
  6. JoNorvelleWalker

Dinner 2020

Beautiful beet greens but you lost me with the chardonnay invective. All that comes to mind is Carol Kane in The Dead Don't Die, but that is probably not the reference ("...cheap chardonnay," as Bill Murray adds).
  7. Me too... many years ago - I found it at a truck stop on the highway somewhere.... actually very tasty
  8. KennethT

DARTO pans

do they make any saute pans larger than their 27? My All Clad LTD saute pan (which I'll be replacing since I'll be moving somewhere that I'll only have induction burners) is a 12" diameter... I use that size all the time.
  9. Tastes great! Yeah, I guess I'll have to start over, this batch has just been so much work it's hard to lay it down. I've seen people use an immersion blender, is that meant to be after reaching temperature and taking it off the heat?
  10. I'm currently reading Monisha Bharadwaj's The Indian Cooking Course. In her discussion of karahis (the Indian cooking vessel) Bharadwaj describes having seen karahis that can "hold 5-6 people". I believe she means this literally.
  11. Margaret Pilgrim

Dinner 2020

Mimi Thorisson's chicken standby: lightly seared chicken breast, splash of marinara, melting cheese -> oven until chicken is cooked through and cheese is melted. Here, with garlicky beet greens. Husband invoked a corollary of the 90's chardonnay invective: ABC....ANYTHING BUT CHICKEN. Sorry, Mimi. Even you can't revive his saturation with this meat.
  12. Today
  13. robirdstx

Dinner 2020

Instant Pot Country Captain and Jasmine Rice
  14. I had Pocket Caffe several years ago, my sister’s Sicilian MIL brought some as a gift...mmm
  15. liamsaunt

Dinner 2020

Shrimp scampi style on linguini and garlic knots. There was also a Caesar salad
  16. liamsaunt

Breakfast 2020!

It is a Thomas brand "sandwich size" English muffin.
  17. Yesterday
  18. Yes, steam/bake. I'd start at 325 for 15 minutes and then temp. I wouldn't go over 325, but I'd check to make sure the cheese wasn't getting overly done.
  19. My lovely sister got me these for my birthday. Dishoom is a kind of deep reverie on Bombay life and history through cafe and restaurant food. Rick Stein's book is a more straightforward travel cookbook. His recipes work solidly, but it's his passion and humour that keep me coming back for more.
  20. The soup is actually “passatelli in brodo” and there is a special tool to make it here, what the neighbor brought in generally know in the rest of Italy as chiacchiere, elsewhere they call it cenci or bugie, it’s typical for Carnival. Carnival is know for fried treats, still long time to enter the carnival, next month, but I’ve been seeing on internet people already frying Love the puntarelle among the other crudités, also looooove that type of salame!
  21. Have not started yet, so, thank you for the useful info.🥰
  22. I’m sure you’re all heated up by now so no help here. I'd reheat at 325-350F, stir and taste at 10 min intervals, then add the cheese for the last few minutes, switching to broil if you want it browned.
  23. Thought so! I feel much better.
  24. Kerry, did you happen to see any new bar molds close to 135x55 mm? I wish I had better quality than the Tomric molds I have.
  25. Yes, that's what I've done. If you are willing to graduate to a fresh noodle or some udon you can make the flavor-pack last for several meals, as long as you have some stock on hand. The you can take the packaged noodles and break them up and use them in a retro sixties or seventies nostalgia salad or slaw type thing. I know all these revisions eventually result in something less easy and slower than just using the whole original package as intended.
  26. Dinner tonight again with Bianca’s parents. Bitters and apps these little immature peaches(?) with truffle - very intriguing Stracciatella soup - she puts nutmeg, lemon zest, breadcrumbs and Parmesan with eggs and extrudes it through something akin to a ricer gratinized tomatoes, onions and red peppers cenci - a neighbor makes it panattone wars - https://cremeriacapolinea.com/panettone-artigianale-reggio-emilia/ @Alleguede’s chocolate pannatone was a strong second. Gelato there is a chocolate called Pocket Caffe - a shot of espresso in a bonbon - we dissected one to see what made it tick - like a liquor chocolate with a sugar crust.
  27. lindag

DARTO pans

Thank goodness! I was feeling like real slob when I looked at mine!
  28. That's my stunt double (aka back-up) CSO 🙃
  1. Load more activity