• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. heidih

Dinner 2020

I thought the basket was a table service add on
  3. KennethT

Dinner 2020

I ahve a heavy pan - it takes a minute or two just to get it hot...
  4. KennethT

Dinner 2020

@weinoo If doing sticky rice, you could probably do it really well in teh CSO... I haven't tried it yet, but plan on it soon (I always forget to start soaking it the night before!), but in general, sticky rice is steamed, not boiled.... no woven basket required!
  5. And in the "no waste" era you tempura batter and fry the flowers
  6. liuzhou

Dinner 2020

I'd say 30 seconds.
  7. KennethT

Dinner 2020

I was thinking the same thing!! When I stir fry them, the whole thing takes about 3 minutes...
  8. We've had a lot of tree damage, power outages up here in the MA area over the past couple of days. At 11:00 this morning I had a box fan running on low, a LED shop light plugged in and on, and 2 refrigerators active, one that is a recent purchase 24" Bosch. The fan started running on high speed, sounding higher than it's usual high speed for about 30 seconds. Then died, acrid smell around. Same type of smell from the Bosch refrigerator. LED shoplight is now inoperable. No other appliances other than a modem, a router, and an Ikea gateway hub. Got a call into NationalGrid at 11:10, they're sending someone out. No outage, just a surge. And on it goes.
  9. Ahhh....I see. You'd rather store bought than home grown? I may know a guy, that may know a guy, that has an uncle who has an aunt. Or an aunt that has an uncle. I always get that mixed up. https://www.cultivatemass.com Google says about 12 minutes. There are closer places, but I've been told this is the better choice. My daughter prefers this one. What a strange twist this thread has taken.
  10. Most of my greens garden is in constant state of "bolt" I just cut off the flowering stalks and they keep going for years. Chard, sorrel, parsley, and of course chives. Sorrel patch is easily 15 years old, parsley 10. Chard is near the end of its run at around 5.
  11. I find it acts like cilantro. A pain. I usually buy it for super cheap at Mexican or Middle Eastern market
  12. heidih

Dinner 2020

I am not rule oriented about anything (says the lawyer). I've done plain tofu or crisped up under the broiler for textural variation.
  13. You nailed it. But thanks for the nudge. I should/will plant some seeds in our front entrance herb garden which get fair sun and is on automatic water.
  14. I think we paid about $9K five or so years ago. I recall a big variation in price depending on the installer. Now might be a pricier time, in the wake of whatever this storm was called.
  15. Oh my - Saudi fig newtons sort of
  16. Thanks. I check it all the time for scale/aphids/other pests.... right now, it's clean. Many years ago, my lime tree had scales and they almost killed it. I did what you did and like you said, it came back really well. I think I just need to be more patient. I don't think it needs more light - and I definitely don't need to upgrade my light - that light is currently only running at 60% output - it's a huge beast capable of putting out 1200umol/s/m2! Very few lights can put out that kind of PPFD.
  17. Thanks Heidi. I've googled tons about the curry plant - most of the results came from people growing them in India. Most of the stuff I had found said that once it started growing, it went like crazy - so maybe I just need to wait for it to really take off. Your article was good because it showed the relative sizes of plants vs age - I had never seen that before. So the light I'm providing should be fine, and the tree currently gets between 45 and 58% relative humidity. there's a temp/humidity gauge sitting on the white crate. Hiding to the right of the gas tank is a humidifier, although now that the other plants have taken off, it's not running because I'm getting enough humidity from the basil plant's transpiration and evaporation of the runoff from watering.
  18. I've had a curry leaf plant for about 5 years. Indoors all winter, then out on the patio in the summer. Some years it struggles badly and some years it gets that horrible dreaded scale all over it and I need to go over the whole plant with a q-tip soaked in alcohol to get rid of them. This past winter it was so badly infested with scale that I was going to either throw it away or cut it down to the stalk. I went with cutting it down - cleaned all the scale off the main stem and repotted into fresh dirt. And it came back better than ever! It branched out in several places and put out more leaves than it's ever had. Very pleased. Don't give up on yours. It's still a baby. Check it for scale or aphids. Probably needs better light but otherwise they are pretty resilient.
  19. How close u are to the store, for when I come to visit.
  20. Chervil is one of those super delicate herbs. I'm surprised you can't grow it between the city (too cool, not enough sun?) and the country (too hot, too much sun?).
  21. I have vigorous tarragon but have never been able to grow consistent chervil. eta nor is chervil regularly available in my markets.
  22. My favorite was the scallion pancake sandwiches - with roast duck!!
  23. Indeed - I was going to do a little more browsing (they have like millions of sauces and stuff), but someone was stocking shelves and my comfort level waned after a few minutes.
  24. Oh, to have a consistent supply of chervil and tarragon...imagine how French I'd become!
  25. weinoo

Dinner 2020

Oh, I'm sure they looked fine. Bok choy in the IP - what'd that take, like 30 seconds? I think we're all becoming Asian cooks!
  26. weinoo

Dinner 2020

Believe me, I'm confused too. But I will buy high-quality boneless thighs when necessary...from the freezer to supper then takes not much longer than if I were using fresh thighs.
  1. Load more activity