• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. Steve R.

Parkside

So, you took my advice and showed up here again. It figures that you chose to post about Parkside for your return. See you soon.
  3. Some while ago I looked into the Dynashake but in the end I didn't buy it. I have an inexpensive immersion blender that I hardly use. I thought the Dynashake might serve as a poor woman's homogenizer. But now I have an even poorer woman's rotor stator homogenizer. If I wanted a blender (which thankfully I don't) I'd get a blender. If I wanted a milkshake machine I'd get a milkshake machine. If you get the Dynashake I'd love to hear about it. Dave Arnold must be truly indolent. Tonight it took two and one half minutes to scrape my potatoes through the tamis. It was more work to pound the mace.
  4. Smithy

Dinner 2019

What seasonings do you use with that curry?
  5. Dante

Dinner 2019

Tonight's dinner:mango curry with tofu, yellow peppers and Summer squash, over rice.
  6. sartoric

Tasting Japan

More meals from Kanazawa. Breakfast at a cheap joint in the fish market basement. A sushi bowl with prawns, calamari and salmon roe, rice underneath. So fresh, sweet and fun to pop the salmon roe. Next to it a seafood okonomiyaki, also delicious and total cost about AUD $12. Crab croquettes, oh my. Served with a dipping sauce and daikon. Potato salad to go with, plus edamame. And special rice. Another great selection of sake on the bar. The sake is poured to overflowing, the box contains the overflow which you then drink. A gratuitous garden shot, the Kenrokuen Garden is peaceful even on a Sunday public holiday.
  7. sartoric

Tasting Japan

I think my favourite places to eat were the isakaya or local restaurants. Often there would be only room for 6 around the working area, counter like. In many places not a single sign in English or even a picture menu. Clearly we weren’t the target audience, but we were made extremely welcome. Google translate is miraculous. In this tiny place I had to set my semi vegetarian principles aside. I try very hard not to eat four legged animals, but here today pork tonkatsu was on the menu. We were served mountain vegetables with egg, pickles, salad, rice and miso soup. The owner produced three tastings of sake for us to try. Happily posed for the camera, see space of the kitchen behind ! Also note 3 sake cups on the counter. Not pictured are two other customers who engaged and made this a fun night.
  8. FauxPas

Kitchen photos

I really liked both your Before and After kitchens, but the After did have some nice storage incorporated and a cleaner look! 🙂
  9. FauxPas

Kitchen photos

@liamsaunt, did you plan for a designated spot for spices? That's the one that annoys a lot of us forced to live with older kitchens. Or is the pantry-type area next to the fridge used for that?
  10. sartoric

Dinner 2019

Husband away on business, so I started late afternoon with a snack platter, a glass of wine and a girlfriend to chat with. She stayed, it became dinner.
  11. Kerry Beal

Antique molds

The ones with bright tin will likely work well - buggers are heavy to work with when tapping for bubbles and turning over to scrape
  12. DayGameCandy

Antique molds

Not really, I only used them once or twice and sprayed a little canola oil on them ahead of time to get them out. I also tried to use a heat gun on the back to warm them a bit. That works for some clear toy candy molds. I wanted to try some chocolate in them which was there intended use I imagine. I was really asking how they fair vs a modern polycarbonate mold and is there any special considerations to use them. They have various degrees of tin coverage due to the age. Jon
  13. Ann_T

Dinner 2019

I really love my Breville PC. I was late getting home from work tonight. Didn't get dinner started until almost six pm. But we were eating by 7:10. Lamb shanks cooked in the Breville PC. Mashed potatoes, steamed green beans and radishes. ETA: And dessert is served.
  14. Kerry Beal

The Bread Topic (2016-)

I saw the french door oven at Costco here today for $99. Don't know manual vs not however.
  15. Kerry Beal

Antique molds

Are you saying you have heated and oiled them to get them to release hard candy and now wonder if they can be used to mold chocolate?
  16. Dinner from Season with some modifications. Pulled Pork (not) Tacos with Apple & Serrano Slaw p 186. A version of the recipe is available online at this link. Red Onions with Coriander p 274. Recipe is included with another dish at this link. Cocoa-Spiced Bean & Lentil (not) Soup p 71. A version of the recipe is available online at this link. Shaved (not)Brussels Sprouts with Poppy Seeds, Black Mustard and Coconut Oil p 105. A version of the recipe is available online at this link. Clearly, that's not a tortilla so these are not tacos. I tucked the pulled pork, slaw & pickled onions into a whole wheat pita from the recipe in Shaya. Excellent, all the way around. No boneless pork butt to be found so I used package of country-style pork ribs, since they're pretty close on the pig. The pork is cooked in white wine, jaggery, apple cider vinegar and seasoned with amchur, Kashmiri chile, black pepper, cloves, bay leaves, green cardamom, star anise and a healthy amount of fresh ginger. After 3 hrs, the meat was still almost submerged in the sauce so on day 2, after skimming the fat, I simmered them uncovered for a while to reduce the sauce. I also thought it needed some salt so I added ~ 1t. I highly recommend the overnight wait for this as I thought the flavors were much improved. The Apple Serrano Slaw is fresh and delicious. I cut julienned the apples on the mandolin instead of grating as I think they look prettier and retain a bit more crispness. The recipe is simple: apples, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, cilantro, mint, serrano chile, white pepper. The pickled red onions are good on everything. I think pulled pork & slaw goes really well with baked beans on the side so for a Season version, I made a variation of the Cocoa-Spiced Bean & Lentil Soup with black beans & black lentils and used ~ 2 cups of water instead of 4 cups so it's thick and not a soup. Perfect side for this. I'd like to try the Brussels Sprouts per the book but needed to use up some black kale so I sliced it up into ribbons and used it in place of the sprouts. The black seeds on black kale lack visual impact but I like the flavors.
  17. robirdstx

Dinner 2019

Pork Carnitas
  18. DayGameCandy

Antique molds

Hi all, I acquired these over time to try with hard candies. Works ok if I heat the mold to release and/or coat with oil beforehand. I’m wondering if they can still be used with chocolate or if I need any special treatment to mold in them and get a clean release. Thanks! Jon
  19. Duvel

Spelt

From my viewpoint the @trfl recipe would do make a nice pizza dough. At very high temperatures (and shorter fermenting times, if it’s a workshop), you might want to up the hydration a little bit. Please share what kind of pizza / baking set / temperatures up you are aiming for: the term “American pizza” seems a bit generic, especially if you are fine with thin or thick crust.
  20. Yesterday
  21. Sorry there wasn't enough left, and now there is none. I'm about to go start a batch of vanilla. Since I've been reading The Perfect Scoop, I'll start with David Lebovitz's vanilla Philadelphia style recipe and add my emulsifiers and stabilizers.
  22. You'll find out tomorrow.🙂
  23. If I find any they may be too. What's wrong with ginger bits from the Philippines?
  24. weinoo

serving Iberico ham

Sorry I just saw this - absolutely on the PM - we had some wonderful meals on this, our 2nd trip to the bastard!
  25. weinoo

Kitchen photos

Yes, but it is still pretty workable...
  26. food mom

Spelt

@trfl: thank-you, but I am still looking for a pizza dough recipe, not a bread recipe. I personally first started working with spelt a few years ago after being allergy tested (not the method that invades the skin, I may add), where we found that I had an allergic reaction to wheat, but not gluten. It was to the glyphosats used in wheat production. Spelt, being an ancient grain, has not been modified, and is rarely sprayed/fertilized here. Without going into depth, it is tolerated by most people. Most people here who have this intolerance and know of their intolerance are aware whether or not they can tolerate spelt products. Common sense dictates that one would not sign up for a class on pizza w/out first inquiring as to the ingredients, but we all know what passes for common sense these days. But again, thanks.
  27. DJ Silverchild

collapsed chocolate shells?

Fascinating. I did recently rework my ganache formula to get a better shelf life and it worked in that I got an AW value under 7 but now I have these problems. I lowered the glucose from 8.81% to 5.8% of the total recipe. For the entire recipe, free water changed from 20.45% water and 29.05% sugar to 21.73% water 26.48% sugar. I just made a batch using the old formula and it came together much much better. I'll try it in shells next week. Should glucose be 50% of the free water? Thank you Kerry!
  1. Load more activity