• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Today
  3. Check previous post. It was edited.
  4. I have a book "Cooking Light Global Kitchen. I'm curious to know if you would consider that a diet book. I really like some of the recipes in it, tonight I am making Korean Stewed Chicken with Spinach.
  5. ElsieD

Dinner 2019

@Ann_T I checked today at a local store and they were not waxed.
  6. Indeed - even to import to Canada is a bit of an issue. I first discovered this company when I bought Rose Otto. I paid pennies on the dollar compared to what it costs now.
  7. Thanks for the info and for the link, really useful. The essential oils I find here are generic, never seen the differentiation about origin. So I assume English lavender should be milder than the French one, good to know for the next time. They have great prices too, I was asked 120 euro for 5 ml of chamomile essential oil, here it costs $17.40, just a liiiiiittle difference. They have stuff I've never seen too, like magnolia essential oil: I knew they make magnolia pickles in Japan, but never seen this flower used anywhere else. $1 samples are a great idea too, wish more sellers had them. Only problem is that I'll go through import hell if I try to place an order. Teo
  8. I have a well-trained, commercially licensed pandora station that uses Brett Dennen as my starting point. All songs are mid-tempo, mid-pitch, with only about one in 10 being popular enough to be recognized. We've been testing various volumes to try to encourage noise, but not so much that folks have to yell to hear each other. And as for those "golf tees," don't worry yourself too much. Nothing will fall off them. They are simply for serving macaron, bonbon, caramels and such. That area is an add-on for post-dinner.
  9. So that's a tri-dimensional chess table! Trekkers will rejoice! Teo
  10. JoNorvelleWalker

The Ladies Who Lunch (Part 3)

...and you had?
  11. A friend and I went to Table Sodam today. She had the Soy Dak Gang Jung, boneless chicken with sweet & soy sauce with corn cheese. It cane with pickled daikon. I had the Dak Gang Jung which consisted of boneless chicken with Spicy Sauce and an assortment of side dishes, which were, left to right, mushrooms, cucumber, kimchee, salad with nut flakes, soup and rice. Very yummy except I find kimchee to be too salty. John enjoyed the leftovers.
  12. Ha! Totally called it! What do I win?🤣
  13. Toliver

Food recalls

This has been ongoing and the cases of salmonella poisoning have been increasing. "K2D Foods Recalls Raw Ground Beef Products Due to Possible E. coli O103 Contamination" And possibly related: "Grant Park Packing Recalls Raw Ground Beef Products Due to Possible E. coli O103 Contamination"
  14. Beautiful golf tees but it looks like something is about to get broken.
  15. blue_dolphin

Popsicles

First popsicles of the season. Back to basics with straight up strawberry and strawberries and cream:
  16. "Mint KitKat! Hershey's announces first new permanent flavor in a decade" For me, the mint flavor can make or break a confection/candy. From the shade of green on this KitKat bar, it looks like the green of the Andes mint candy...subtle and nuanced. My favorite mint would be the bold peppermint in the York Peppermint patties. Anyone else have a preference?
  17. What gorgeous photos - they did a beautiful job capturing the various textures and especially the glow of the natural woods. I liked the linked photos to their party that shows people enjoying the space, the food, drinks and each other. I really need that coffee table ....and someone to come in and present me with an after dinner experience on the regular 🙃 When you have a moment, a couple of questions based on previous discussions here. First, what did you decide to do about music? From listening to some of Dave Arnold's rants on Cooking Issues, it seems like such a difficult thing to manage both control and rights. Second, you mentioned the potential use of Alice Ballard's meditation bowls. I'd love to see how you will use them. After you mentioned her, I purchased a few of them myself and love their shapes, textures and colors.
  18. JoNorvelleWalker

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

Well, yes, that's what I was getting at.
  19. From this morning's BookBub email, I am hesitant to post it because it's a "diet" cookbook which I normally don't post. Some of the negative reviews point out that there isn't much revelatory in the recipes or the ideas presented inside: From the Amazon info page for this cookbook... Winner of the 2018 James Beard Foundation Book Awards Winner of the World Gourmand Cookbook Awards Finalist for the IACP Awards Shortlisted for the NCIBA Book Awards, Best Cookbook Deepa Thomas'S "Deepa's Secrets: Slow Carb New Indian Cuisine" Kindle Edition $1.99US Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes. I believe this next cookbook has been previously posted but I am posting it again because of the author and his previous cookbooks: Yotam Ottolenghi's "Jerusalem: A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $2.99US I am a US Prime member and the you see may vary.
  20. It all looks, beautiful. I'm glad to see all the great publicity!
  21. Here's the professional shots that the architect did for their website. And for those of you who have been patient you can finally see what the golf tees are for: HERE
  22. Ive purchased the three vac'd veg boxes above. Ive tried the Mediterranean pack and found the artichokes OK , and the rest mushy and flavorless. the pack says the veg are in EVVO , but the oil is completely tasteless to me the Tapas artichoke 1/2's were better , simply because they were just artichokes. the oil is sunflower , and thus tasteless. I have not tried the tomatoes yet , but Im not optimistic .
  23. Not one you'll find in stores. It's from Annatolian Treasures. It's English Lavender - don't see it on their list anymore.
  24. It always seems exotic to me even now after more than one visit. I have never seen anything like the food they serve here served anywhere else. The portions are astronomically large and could probably be shared by a whole table but I appreciate the leftovers. They will keep me going for days.
  25. Ann_T

Dinner 2019

Now that is a great looking pizza. With my favourite topping too. I bet the rim was nice with lots of airy bubbles.
  26. blue_dolphin

New house, new kitchen

Beautiful! Looks like a bright and beautiful space to cook in.
  27. gulfporter

Lunch 2019

Lunch was brunch today, as we acclimate ourselves to Lisbon's time zone. Eggs benedict, but with a ham more similar to a Spanish serrano and a nice slice of a hearty Portuguese bread instead of the English muffin. Two definite improvements. Hollandaise was excellent and the orangest egg I've seen in awhile.
  1. Load more activity