• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. How to make a sweet bread even sweeter! Sounds like something my wife would do Those appear more like dinner rolls then buns - or do my eyes deceive me? I plan to try this recipe next month - some friends are coming and have never had 72 hour pulled pork BBQ sandwiches (from MC)
  3. I questioned him last night on Twitter. He hasn't responded yet.
  4. No! There used to be available a well designed stainless steel ladle that had a flat edge so that it could be used for both scraping and scooping—but a cursory search hints that it has disappeared! I can't remember who, exactly, sold it. I think it was seed vendors or sausage making supply vendors. It may also have been Lehman's Hardware in Ohio.
  5. Nope! Nothing special! I bent it on the edge of a stainless steel work table. Two bends. I flipped the spoon over so the bowl rested flat on the edge of the table, then I bent the entire handle downward. When that was complete, I flipped the spoon back over and bent the handle near the middle so that the upper part of the handle is close to parallel with the rim of the bowl.
  6. Today
  7. Tunnel or not I sent a photograph by text to my granddaughter who wanted to know if she could drop by after she finished work at 9 pm and grab what was left of the loaf! She felt quite sure she could plug the tunnel with some Nutella.
  8. @Mmmpomps Wow. That makes me want to rush out and buy an eye of round.
  9. Uses for leftover cola?

ROFL! That's the best idea to use cola.
  10. Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

I am not Kim but I know something about roasting shrimp. These are the best. No reason for your other (and equal) half to object, promise.
  11. is there anything new in the Naan bread techniques or recipes in book 5?
  12. Interestingly there is a modernist option for working with smaller quantities of dough: "The same bowl can be used for mixing the dough, bulk fermenting it, and the final proofing period." (3-219). The device in question is of course the KitchenAid Precise Heat Mixing Bowl.
  13. This dough had me worried at a few different points: my scale only goes to .5g of accuracy, so there was a decent margin of error on the ascorbic acid, and I had some pretty wet, sticky doughs for a while there, that didn't seem terribly intent on maintaining much structure, forming "surface tension" / boule skins, etc; maybe I didn't knead / develop the gluten as much as I should've. And my first boule didn't get quite as much rise as I would've liked. But the second—with an extra 45 minutes of proofing—seemed to develop a little better in the oven. (Dutch oven for both, FWIW.) That said, the would-be lesser of the two disappeared plenty quick at friendsgiving last night, so I'm not losing any sleep over it. I did have a question (probably more than one, but there's only one I can remember at the moment): loading temperature? Is that just for brick / wood-fired ovens? Or is that something that applies to the average home range, too? (I'm on a humdrum electric range.)
  14. Interesting some of us have been challenged to get enough browning on our bottoms. Nice picture.
  15. What Are You Cooking Sous Vide Today? (Part 3)

Do you have a picture after it was cooked?
  16. Time to throw my hat in the bread rings! Since life and bread schedules aren't always compatible, I threw this in the fridge once all of the ingredients were mixed after the autolyse, then I added an extra half hour and four edge fold to the bulk ferment phase. I'm pretty happy with how both loaves came out! (Size difference mostly due to uneven dividing, though I think I got a little more rise out of the second loaf with the longer proof; I did these one at a time in a dutch oven.) I will note that the bottoms of these (and my country-style loaves) came out a little blacker than I'm used to. I followed the cooking times to a tee, which are a little longer than I'm used to, for better or worse. That said, I like the color I got on the rest of the bread, and the bottoms weren't inedible or anything, so I'm not sure how much I care?
  17. Scratch Guacamole - Labor Intensive

I was wondering if you've done a cost comparison of various sizes of avocados. I notice that with small ones, sometimes the pit is small, so most of the fruit is edible. Many times, however, the pit is large, meaning that there is less to eat. Obviously, the ratio is better with larger fruit, and, less prep time would be involved since fewer fruits would need to be opened, pitted, and scooped. I like the grid rack technique; speedy and consistent.
  18. Scratch Guacamole - Labor Intensive

I also think the best guacamole is chunky, not a puree. Alex Stupak makes his here by pressing avocado through a roasting rack grid. that's all.
  19. Scratch Guacamole - Labor Intensive

the serious Mexican chefs I've talked with agree that although plenty of lime juice will keep it from turning brown, it will also become the predominant flavour. Instead they mash right before serving. To me that's always the best. Assemble and serve. If you have to keep it, press cling film tight against the surface and refrigerate.
  20. This is lamb after a quick sear. It’s still pink nearly ALL the way through. you’d need a micrometer to spot a gradient.
  21. the gradient, such as it is, in sous vide cooking is generally tiny. The edge of my duck breast might be 134F and the inside 133F (if it's even that much different) after a few hours. It's negligible. does searing create another 'gradient"? certainly! But one only has to LOOK at the result to see that it's a tiny band of maillard reaction on the edge (which is what we like) rather than a continuous black, to dark grey, to grey, to pinkish, to pink, that broiling or roasting gives you.
  22. Bought Tasting Rome, reading Opa! The Healthy Greek Cookbook at the moment.
  23. Any protein that you like cooked edge to edge to a specific "doneness" (most often rare to med-rare, because well-done is easy in any method), will benefit greatly. I like ALL of the steak or the duck breast or the chicken or the pork cooked to med-rare. And to the exact same degree every time. Then I can treat the outside as I like according to mood.
  24. Have you vermin in your kitchen? I solved my bottom problem with a preheated aluminum sandwiched Cuisinart baking dish* that just fits the CSO. I had my fill of soft, white powdered bottoms in my youth. And I hate the smell of A&D. *the bottom of a Cuisinart chicken steamer.
  25. What Are You Cooking Sous Vide Today? (Part 3)

I'd say sous vide most shines for tough meats like chuck, some beef steaks, poached chicken breast, pasteurized eggs, and corn. On the cob.
  26. Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

Please tell more about roasting shrimp: time, temperature, coatings? That's a new idea for me, and might be worth trying in our house although I suspect my other half will object to having to peel shrimp at the table after it's been served.
  1. Load more activity