• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Anna N

Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

Grilled sirloin, grilled onion and tomato and sugar snap salad.
  3. Today
  4. It has a conical lid. It's not shown in the video, but the product sheet denotes the special shaped lid holds in moisture.
  5. I am surprised that no one here has mentioned coconut. When I was in culinary school we learned that a goodly slice of the population (including me!) does not like coconut, and it's thought to be genetic, like cilantro soapy-flavor dislike. The number cited, but I cannot find a scientific paper on it online, was approximately 20%. I agree with the genetic part, because even as a small child, the smell of coconut has made me nauseous and I have no recollection of any negative associations. (it's hard for me to go to the beach sometimes because of all the coconut tanning oils) I can choke down toasted coconut to be polite, but I would never voluntarily choose to eat it. Obviously, this whole topic is important for anyone entering a cooking competition.
  6. RobertM

Meeting-friendly snacks to bake

1 cup Karo dark syrup 1 cup sugar 1 1/3 cup peanut butter 6 cups Special K cereal 6 oz dark chocolate chips 6 oz butterscotch chips bring the karo and sugar to a boil; take off heat and add the peanut butter. Stir/combine. stir in the Special K spread in a 9x13 pan melt the chips together and spread on top, let cool. cut into bite size pieces super easy. I've used a combination of dark chocolate and milk chocolate to great reviews.
  7. They custom make lots of stuff. They'd have no problem fitting it with a lid.
  8. That thing's really cool, but a lid is important for my purposes. I work with aromatic ingredients and want to keep them in. Flavors like coffee would be diminished by 30 minutes or more cooking and agitating in an open pot.
  9. Lisa Shock

Split peas (green, dried)

Beano used to make a liquid you could add, I guess it's no longer on the market. You can still take their tablets, they are an enzyme.
  10. Yes, I currently have Cacao Barry CB and I think the temp is set at 33.8 or 33.9. I've randomly pushed buttons to mixed effect.
  11. This is the other option I had in mind. The 16 gallon would be less than $2000 with an added agitator. A PID could be added, but I doubt that's necessary. http://www.maxantindustries.com/bottling.html
  12. Okanagancook

Yes, give them a really good wash in four changes of water then soak them overnight. Wash, wash again before cooking. This reduces phytates which reduce enzyme activity in the gut which inhibits digestion and increases the production of gas further down.
  13. Thanks, Daniel. After I stirred it, it definitely was not mayonnaise consistency -- more like a thick pastry cream. That's what worried me. Is the consistency of your cocoa butter mayonnaise-like at 33.8? I will inch up the temp tonight above 33 and see how it goes tomorrow. I will test it even if it's more fluid than I expect and see what results I get. I appreciate the quick reply. @Kerry Bealand I have been in contact about this, but as each brand of cocoa butter is different, I wanted to get input from those specifically using my brand. Much obliged!
  14. JeanneCake

Cake Memories

My memories start with a Humpty Dumpty on a wall cake that I made in Home Ec class for my little sister's birthday. My mother says I was never all that interested in "real food" - only what was for dessert. In our house we didn't have cake for dessert much; but I remember my mother making what was called Wowie Cake and Texas Sheet Cake (both chocolate cakes, both wonderful). The Texas Sheet Cake was my favorite. It does not surprise anyone in my family that I am a pastry chef and own my own bakery now....
  15. curls

Andrey Dubovic online classes

Yup, they have had it for a while. Quite an improvement on their old website!
  16. Rajala

Wow, they got a new, kind of modern, website I guess? Haven't seen that.
  17. ninagluck

Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

there is not much which is more simple: baked feta with lavender, thyme and honey.
  18. @jer_vic consider looking into it maybe you know some one in Bora-Bora ? it got close and then well Bora-Bora
  19. curls

Here is a link to Chocolate World's moulds you can filter the list by World Chocolate Masters and Chef's signatures moulds to see a number of the moulds used in this course. This includes the design that @Jim D. asked about. https://www.chocolateworld.be/winkel/vormen/kadervormen#0
  20. Why does it have to be a sealed lid? And how about a fire mixer? I think they're only $15k or so, and they heat and stir, but I wonder if it would be problematic that they're designed for cooking candy to much hotter temps than you need for custard. How low do they go? https://www.savagebros.com/p.1/firemixer-14-table-top-automatic-electric-cooker-mixer-with-plc-touch-screen-control.aspx
  21. So it's vapourware? Or if it's a steam oven, non-vaporware? Un-vaporware? No-vaporware? Vapourlessware?
  22. Orbit

Is there any cooking tip to lessen the gas problem when making split pea soup? Or is this inevitable?
  23. @Casey H. welcome to EG! I use Cacao Barry as my source for cocoa butter in the EZ Temper and have found it needed to be set to 33.8 for my needs. I’m sure each unit is just slightly different, but I can’t imagine it would need to go below 33. I also found that a slight bit of melting at the top is not an issue. Once I stir it around a bit it is the correct texture/consistency and tempers properly. Just my experience though and I’m sure @Kerry Beal can answer any technical questions about the machine.
  24. Hello y'all! Long-time lurker; first-time poster. I have read nearly all 19 pages of this thread; very informative! I just rec'd my EZ Temper unit Friday. HOORAY! I have twice added my cocoa butter (Cacao Barry tiny pellets; not old and still in temper) and warmed it overnight in the EZ Temper. First time, I melted at factory setting of 33.7; the result was too liquid with melted cocoa butter on top. 2nd time I melted at 33.5; same result. I am now melting at 32.9 and hoping that will do the trick. I've checked and I can hear the slight "whir" of the fan, so that shouldn't be the problem. For those who use Cacao Barry pure cocoa butter pellets, can you advise if there's a magic target temperature you use? @pastrygirl, I think you use Cacao Barry, right? I hate to have to keep testing this in tiny increments; I want to use this baby!!! Any advice would be helpful. Thanks all.
  25. My basket arrives today, along with extra sealing rings.
  26. blue_dolphin

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2018)

I had some leftover cucumber-yogurt-scallion-dill mixture that I repurposed into shrimp salad Served on toasted ciabatta with smashed avocado.
  1. Load more activity