• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. The French Pastry School in Chicago has 3- to 5-day classes on bread as well as a 10-week professional baking program. Depending on where you live, it may be easier/cheaper than going to Vermont.
  3. How is this different than cooking in a pan?
  4. Me too! I made a quick one dish meal in the ceramic insert yesterday. Just ground beef, some cut up vegetables, some tomato passata and some orzo.Made enough to freeze two lots!
  5. Today
  6. A4 Box has another online special, better than black Friday one (25%), now 30% off for next few hours. Snip from email. Christmas is coming and the best gift is presence of family wrapped with love. So to celebrate Christmas with your friends and family we are offering 30% discount on A4Box. Enjoy cooking your and families favorite food this holiday and spread happiness with A4Box. If you've been waiting to get it, now is the best time. Use code- CHRISTMAS at checkout to get 30% OFF. Only lasts for next 48 hours. You can do so here: https://afourbox.com/products/a4box
  7. I finally opened my A4 and put it to use recently. I decided to use it on the patio, I'm kind of a feral cook, felt like the most fun environment for it. One night we did cod and scallops with sauteed tomatoes, the next we did Tiger shrimp and fried rice. So far have just used the griddle part. I really, really like this tool. I can definitely travel with it. The dial control is simple. Not sure what the next insert to be used is, either the pancake one for potato pancakes or the takoyaki one for meatballs. Also, I'm seriously considering a shabu shabu night on the patio with the deeper insert. Never had that possible outside of a shabu shabu restaurant until now.
  8. On a somewhat related note: https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/12/judge-serves-up-sizzling-rebuke-of-arkansas-anti-veggie-meat-labeling-law/
  9. liamsaunt

Dinner 2019

Dinner last night was supposed to be chicken parmesan, but husband requested chicken broccoli pasta instead. I had a piece of broccoli in the fridge, so changing the menu was not a problem.
  10. shain

Lunch 2019

Hummus with roasted peppers, feta, sumac.
  11. It's a good thing I'm up for the challenge!
  12. Sour cream, apples and pecan cake. With maple and brown sugar,. A middle layer of chopped pecans, cinnamon, cocoa. Chopped apples in the batter. Maple glaze.
  13. scamhi

Dinner 2019

in this pile of food is a skinless bone in chicken thigh. a can of san marzano tomatoes, bacon, shiitake mushrooms fresh rosemary,, thyme and parsley. it was very tasty.
  14. iPot cookbooks seems to be multiplying like , well you know. I have Hip , The Instant Pot Electric Pressure Cooker Cookbook: Easy Recipes for Fast & Healthy Meals Indian Instant Pot® Cookbook: Traditional Indian Dishes Made Easy and Fast The Essential Indian Instant Pot Cookbook: Authentic Flavors and Modern Recipes for Your Electric Pressure Cooker Vegetarian Indian Cooking with Your Instant Pot: 75 Traditional Recipes That Are Easier, Quicker and Healthier I stopped there. my library system as a huge number of them and there are now probably iPot books for every cuisine. this mexican one Ive had out from the library a few times : The Essential Mexican Instant Pot Cookbook: Authentic Flavors and Modern Recipes for Your Electric Pressure Cooker
  15. suzilightning

Dinner 2019

John has actually been home lately so a bit more cooking than when he is gone. I've been testing a recipe for a friend for crispy salmon and have it just where it should be. Been playing with several sides. Made a Martha Stewart recipe for shrimp scampi. That was interesting because it incorporated shrimp stock into the sauce. He liked it a lot. Yesterday I was craving pork. I stopped at the local butcher's and got a bone in and boneless pork chop. I baked off several sweet potatoes(white and garnet) then took them out of their jackets then mashed them with some butter and toast dope. I steamed some green beans. I mixed up a rub with some salt, oregano, mixed peppercorns and ground garlic, patted the chops dry and put the rub on them. Seared on all sides in some olive oil then into a 400F oven for 10 minutes. Out and rest for 5 minutes then slice and serve. The boneless chop served both of us now I will cut the chop from the bone and then roast the bone a bit in the oven for the cook's treat.
  16. The one on the right seems perfect, so you got the correct settings for your oven. Now it's just abount finding your favourite recipe, eating the trials will be a huge sacrifice I suppose. Teo
  17. Anna N

Breakfast 2019

The last of the lunch leftovers from The Keg. Prime rib on toasted rye bread which was slathered with horseradish mayo. A little horseradish mayo on top also.
  18. Ann_T

Dinner 2019

@mm84321, that dinner looks amazing. I really want the chicken. Pizza tonight. Dough was in the fridge since yesterday afternoon. Vegetarian pizza for Matt - Artichoke and Pesto And Pepperoni and mushroom for Moe and I.
  19. Can anybody point me to this thread? @DiggingDogFarm?
  20. If you are making 6 flavors / 270 pralines then you are setting yourself up for failure no matter your workflow...it's no way to be efficient and make money. I understand that when you start out you want to have as many flavors as possible to be attractive to your customers but for 270 pieces you should have 2 flavors at the most... That amount in 2 flavors would take me about 4-4.5 hours....that's with my own optimized workflow (no access to a continuos tempering machine)....somebody else may be faster or slower. I would recommend the following things: 1. Buy an EZtemper or equivalent machine. 2. Buy more molds...only one style that is easy to clean and polish (eg. Hemispheres) 3. Don't go crazy with the designs on your shells...keep it simple....most of the fancy designs you see on Instagram are very labor intensive and made by people that sell "masterclasses" but don't sell chocolates 😉 4. Temper your ganache before filling, it will set a lot quicker and you can cap them sooner. Hope this helps 😊
  21. Rolling pin: be careful what you wish for edition... The RLB rolling pin went back. To take its place I reached out to my favorite kitchen supply, McMaster-Carr. Tonight was delivered my new pin: a two foot by 13/4 inch, food grade, polytetrafluoroethylene* rod. It fits comfortably in the dishwasher with no room to spare. And no gecko will ever stick to it.** The only problem, it weighs 2.25 kg/5.5 pounds. By comparison my stainless steel rolling pin weighs 2 kg/4.4 pounds. Knowing the density of PTFE, 2.2 g/cm3, I could have calculated the weight. But I figured: "How heavy could plastic be?" In any event, the new pin arrived too late to roll the second half of the dough batch before dinner. *in some circles known as Teflon. **disclaimers and restrictions apply.
  22. Margaret Pilgrim

Dinner 2019

Home from the country via a 7 hour, multi-pit stop drive, meager fresh foods OH. Even less energy or interest in cooking. -> Grapefruit (Frozen, packaged) lobster ravioli. Package said = 2 1/2 portions, We ate the whole thing. Husband commented, "These are really good,"
  23. Anna, which size is your Kinto donabe? (Assuming, of course, you don't have more than one.)
  24. Nope - I was wrong - these are what I was thinking about -
  25. Darienne

Food recalls

Spoke to a friend on the phone this morning and they had been eating Salinas lettuce all last week and are fine. (I wouldn't have done it.) And later in our local library, the librarian told me she has a friend who had eaten some of the same brand without knowing of the problem and she has been ill for days. But then I have friends who still feed their dogs treats made in China....
  26. Yesterday
  27. Hi, Jake! Welcome to the forum. Nice looking website. Might I suggest a preliminary, introductory "landing page," explaining the website and blogs are new and will shortly be populated with entries? Any special focuses you're planning?
  1. Load more activity