• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Today
  3. BonVivant

Tasting Japan

Did you do sake tasting at different breweries? I had a nice time in pretty Takayama. Did you visit the village in Shirarawa-go? Takayama is all about Hida beef and sake. Would go back for both. There are any sake tasting rooms if you want to test your liver's limit. I had barely scratched the surface in 3 days. At one of the most popular beef restaurants in town. There's always a queue there so prepare to wait. Almost 50 euros for the above plate. Rural Japan Buckwheat rows in the foreground. Most people grow fruits, vegs, even rice around their houses. Very typical in rural Japan. Kaiseki meals served at traditional inns are incredible and so beautifully presented. One of the highlights of eating in Japan. Mine came with a menu of courses served in this particular order. The food just kept coming and coming.
  4. SusieQ

Breakfast 2019

I love your breakfasts!
  5. SusieQ

Tasting Japan

WOW is right!
  6. liuzhou

Food funnies

from the Guardian
  7. liuzhou

Tasting Japan

WOW!
  8. liuzhou

Tasting Japan

Yes, I'm with you on that. I've eaten many places with no idea what I was ordering. A few times I was glad I didn't know, but usually it works out well.
  9. sartoric

Tasting Japan

In Takayama we enjoyed a traditional kasakei meal served in our room. There’s so much going on here, I can’t begin to explain. First the charming lady sets out the pieces. No English to explain, but we figure it out All exquisite little bites. Then the elderly owner of the guest house gives us a box of biscuits (German, but hey) And we retire to a warm onsen, bliss.
  10. sartoric

Tasting Japan

I think a lot of places had English menus, I didn’t always photograph them. Perhaps in our 14 days x 2 or 3 meals a day we were without an English menu maybe 7 or 8 times. Kinda made it more fun. Sorry again for the 🌽.
  11. heidih

Butterflied Leg of Lamb

often it is the lamb fat that drives peeps away. The meat itself as in a grilled butterflied leg is quite different. Congrats
  12. liuzhou

Breakfast 2019

This was breakfast No. 2 today. I had a draining day yesterday which included a two hour spell in the tax office doing something that could easily have taken two minutes. So, by 9 pm, I was exhausted and went to bed. Most unlike me. At 3 am, I woke up full of energy and there was no going back to sleep, so I got up and had a boiled egg sandwich for breakfast No. 1, then did the most boring work I could find for a couple of hours, which sent me back to bed and into a deep sleep until 9 am. Again most unlike me; I'm usually up and about at 7 am. 9 am, I made breakfast No. 2. Chicken and shiitake jiaozi. When I say made, I mean I boiled ones I had made earlier and then frozen. There were 10, but I ate two before thinking to take a photo. The dip is simple Sriracha sauce (bought in Sriracha).
  13. liuzhou

Tasting Japan

Great stuff, as (almost*) ever. I'm wondering. You showed one English language menu. Is it common or not for places to have English menus? It's been 25 years since I was in Japan and there were none then, that I remember. *You know what I am referring to! One lapse in judgement I can take! 😁 😁
  14. sartoric

Tasting Japan

Before we left Kanazawa there was pizza. Not bad, from this typical Italian joint. I love their food plastic A giant fish head just chillin on ice, on the street, waiting for the restaurant to open. Onwards to Takayama where we spend our 25th wedding anniversary This ramen bowl and gyoza were a mistake. Not because they weren’t delicious, we had no idea what was to come at our Ryokan Onsen.... later...
  15. liuzhou

Mozzarella: what to do with it?

I seldom buy what you are calling "brick mozzarella", but I call "American mozzarella". Instead I make my own Italian style ball mozzarella. So easy and so much better. The interwebs are full of instructions and videos.
  16. JoNorvelleWalker

Dinner 2019

Tonight's dinner: Yuanyaki salmon.
  17. JoNorvelleWalker

eG Cook-Off #82: Salmon

Yuanyaki salmon, Japanese Culinary Academy's Complete Japanese Cuisine, Mukoita I (pp104-105). A bit of googling tells me Yuan was the first Tea Master to grill with mirin. Good. Now if I only had a yanagiba.
  18. chord

Dinner 2019

My first home-cooked dinner after a long trip away...pasta with chicken sausage and vegetables.
  19. Smithy

Butterflied Leg of Lamb

I just went through the "I hate lamb!!" drama again, followed by the discovery that the protestor doesn't really hate lamb. Thanks for another delicious treatment!
  20. Regardless of what happened, I cannot take the risk of using that plastic again. I wanted a wider triangle, and VinylEase comes in sheets, so you can make the design whatever you want. But I had to put those four molds aside to be washed (someday), got out four clean ones (I knew that large purchase of custom molds would come in handy), found some 1.5" wide PVC (electrician's) tape, and it worked well. It kept the cocoa butter out almost as well as VinylEase, and left no detectable residue. So what's a day lost here and there, as long as there's a lesson learned?
  21. That stinks. But you've used the tape successfully before? Masking tape can be hard to get off of things after several days, maybe sitting overnight was the problem and the adhesive cured or hardened.
  22. pastrygirl

Cocoa butter

It's ok, at least it's fresh ... and my EZ Temper will never be empty again!
  23. Duvel

Spelt

Thanks, @food mom. I understand the logic dismissing the no-knead approach from a timing perspective. The hydration however is fine from my view, and takes into account that you want to have a properly risen loaf and not the famously dense whole wheat / ancient grain type loaves of the olden days. The durch oven that @trfl employs certainly helps with the load structure and makes best use of the high hydration ... And yet you are looking at a pizza, something with a large surface area compared to volume, so higher hydration is even more your friend and will lead to a more expanded base (especially on the rim), instead of a cracker-type, dry crust. If you are looking at neoneapolitan (e.g. New York style) pizza, you want chewy, foldable base with a defined, expanded rim. One thing that you could try is to balance the moisture content by adding yoghurt, which will add structure and give some chewiness. I do add yoghurt to make whole wheat / rye flour crusts (e.g. for Kassler Speckkuchen), and it works pretty well. So would a poolish, that you could bring to the workshop. If you have more time to research (e.g. for your next workshop, not today’s) please have a look at the technique described for the complete wheat Neapolitan pizza dough (90% hydration, btw) ...
  24. sartoric

Camping, Princess Style

Just catching up now and have to say thanks @Smithy for your warts and all peek into road tripping. I picked up lots of ideas. We hope to do some of the same next year, albeit in Australia, and extra albeit towing an off-road caravan. Hope you enjoy spring when it arrives
  25. Kerry Beal

Cocoa butter

Ouch!
  26. Kerry Beal

collapsed chocolate shells?

Would be equivalent to 0.7
  27. pastrygirl

Cocoa butter

My supplier decided that cocoa butter is now special order so I had to buy a case. And now I have an excessive amount of cocoa butter, anyone need any? Cacao Barry cocoa butter pistoles with a best by date of April 2021 $66 for the 3 kg tub or $22 per kg plus shipping.
  1. Load more activity