• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Toliver

IHOP

IHOP, formally known as the International House of Pancakes, is entering the fast food restaurant genre: "IHOP introduces new restaurant, Flip’d by IHOP, with faster service and Pancake Bowls" How nice of them to pre-abbreviate the name for all of the texters out there.
  3. heidih

Breakfast Cereal

Aww but the whole point of the Kisses is pulling the paper and revealing the chocolate
  4. Toliver

Breakfast Cereal

"Hershey's Kisses have officially entered the cereal aisle" Interesting. If you find this in the cereal aisle, please buy a box and take one for the team.
  5. Thanks so much for coming back after your torture to take us through those last steps. As someone who mostly cooks for one and the owner of a smallish side-by-side fridge/freezer, the notion of 30 lbs of ANYTHING in the freezer boggles my little mind! I love, love, love following along with every episode of this blog!
  6. I think breadcrumbs are sometimes labeled as a filler by mistake. My mom always added milk-soaked bread to her meatloaf. Unbeknownst to her, she was actually making a panade which helped make her meatloaf tender. I've posted about this before but when I grew up and moved away, from home, I decided to make her meatloaf but without the "filler" of the bread. It turned out to be the heaviest doorstop of a meatloaf I'd ever eaten. Just terrible. I learned my lesson that not all filler is filler.
  7. Do you have Modernist Bread? I've always thought that if I wanted to get serious about bread that working through those volumes would be my first step. Just something to think about if travel to VT in mid winter is not your cuppa. I have no direct experience with the KAF courses but have only heard good things about them. It sounds like you have given this a lot of thought and identified a specific goal: If you don't get the feedback you've asked for here from former KAF students, I'd encourage you to engage with their staff to make sure you are choosing the best classes to fit your goals.
  8. More grilled veggies (with tri-tip cooked SV). Note that in the first picture the veggies look over-cooked and they were. I grilled the squash for 15 minutes and the peppers for 10 minutes. They looked great. The I thought I would turn the grill to keep warm while I seared and sliced the tri-tip. That's when they over cooked. They were on keep warm for about 7 minutes. Second night (and second pic) same timing but no keep warm. Lesson learned - keep warm does more than keep warm! So what else can we use keep warm for?
  9. mgaretz

Dinner 2019

Tri-tip, cooked SV then seared, served with grilled veggies and a glass of OZV Lodi Zin.
  10. Toliver

Popeyes

And they're in the seasonal news again... "Popeyes debuts a chicken-inspired ugly Christmas sweater"
  11. Today
  12. Weinoo, Sorry for such a late reply. I have substantial medical issues and I've been out of commish. Just to say thanks for your posts. I've a better idea now.
  13. Yep! This is exactly what @JohnT calls for in his recipe. Three slices of bread to one pound of sausage.
  14. Welcome, @Seva! I'm with @kayb - really eager to see some Russian home cooking! I'm very much looking forward to your posts!
  15. I am working on making caneles. I made the batter couple of days ago and baked the first ones yesterday. The results were uneven but they sure tasted great. I have been posting my progress on this thread: https://forums.egullet.org/topic/8090-please-help-with-cannele-recipe/page/12/ I got a couple of suggestions on how I might improve the results from @Theo and @kayb and am taking their suggestions and baking the last four this afternoon. Hopefully, I'll see an improvement.
  16. I'm back from the big city. Had a periodontist appt. Got my stitches out after over a month of having them! *happy dance* and I have a little break before a next yucky appt. So, yesterday we did the grinding. I know I've posted about it before, but this leg of the blog seems incomplete if I don't do it again Pot of meat that I dumped into cold water in the sink--the guys did a really good job of cleaning it up so there really wasn't much for me to do. Beef fat to grind with. We have a big pork roast too. The next deer we will grind with that. First run through the grinder Second run through Wrapped in cling wrap Then butcher paper Got about 30 lbs now in the freezer I'll go ahead and post last nights dinner here since it ties in. We're always hungry for fresh burger after we're done so I saved some and made mozzarella stuffed meatballs Again, thanks for keeping me company this week and I'll see you back here maybe in the spring , for sure next fall
  17. Looks pretty scary. I for one would have promptly returned that $14 abomination for something palatable!
  18. I view Pinterest.. too But would love a few referance too
  19. I've done a few classes at KAF, and they were great. But I second those who say pick a book and work your way through it, and/or find a local bakery to stage at. If you already have the basics, you'll get more out of a class.
  20. @teo the molds were put on a wire rack and the wire rack was put on a sheet tray. They were baked on a middle oven rack. Those were the instructions I had. I like @kayb 's suggestion. I have some batter left so will bake some today at 400F, (convection?) And will preheat the oven with a pizza stone and put the tray on that. Thanks for the suggestions. This is my first batch so I am completely new at this.
  21. I'm curious if this is related to Kenji's trick of parcooking sweet potatoes to convert the starches to sugars, so they taste sweeter and brown better. It's basically the sweet potato equivalent of the beer brewer's mashing grain. https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/11/food-lab-sweet-potatoes-mashed-science-not-sugar-thanksgiving.html
  22. Never made a cannele in my life, so this is purely theoretical. Would it help if you preheated your oven blazing hot, with a baking stone, then cut the temp down to baking temp, and put the pan and molds on the stone?
  23. Welcome. There are some members here with experience in commercial kitchens, and many others with much insight on the scientific side of food prep. I'm sure you will find many sources of info that will be helpful. Me, I'm just a home cook, and I love learning about experimenting with and learning about the traditional cuisines of other lands, so I'm waiting eagerly for anything you'd like to share about Russian traditional cookery.
  24. Asking for a friend . . .
  25. Hi Seva, and welcome to the forum.
  26. @teonzo good points, thanks. They were well wrapped and look and taste fine so yes more of an ethical question. I'd thought they were frozen in May or June and had no problem with that, turns out the date on the box is last December so I paused to worry. 🙄 What's 6 more months at -15F? We haven't lost power or anything weird in that time.
  27. It will be interesting to see how popular the fast food Beyond products become. My husband and I recently travelled to Disney. Most of the food was good and I posted about it in the Florida thread. Disney has committed to offering a vegan option at every location where they sell food, which is admirable, but at the fast service locations, that translates to Beyond Meat burgers or sausages (there are better options at the sit down places). and they have no idea how to cook this stuff. I ordered a Beyond sausage at some location in the Magic Kingdom, just to see how they handled it. Behold. This was $14, by the way. One bite and into the trash it went.
  1. Load more activity