• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. They did. It is currently out of stock but they do make it.
  3. D'Artagnan (click) is currently having a 15% off sale on their "Roasting" collection.
  4. Regarding the family plates. In the 1940s there were a couple of companies who toured the midwest teaching and providing supplies for china painting, cloth stenciling, gadgets for "quick knitting" and knot and braid gadgets - a generation later would morph into "macrame" ... They would be in small towns for a week or so, long enough to give basic classes. Rural people on farms would participate a lot because in many places, similar to where I was born and raised, there was no TV and visual hobbies could be done while listening to the radio. I recall that it began soon after the war ended because my uncle Willard had just come home from the VA hospital with his new arm prosthesis and he accompanied my aunt to the first few classes and then joined himself because they also sold model-building supplies and he wanted to build model planes. After the customers painted the china, the company would box them up and send them to the factory to be glazed and fired and then shipped back. There were also little figurines - mostly elves - angels, butterflies and other creatures - one of my aunts painted an elephant sitting on a ball, remarkable only because the larger than normal eyes were crossed - which she did on purpose. My aunts were avid hobbyists and they went in for the more elaborate flower painting on china rather than the "family" portraits, mainly because there were way too many in my family. They would have covered an entire wall. I never was allowed near the china painting but I was allowed to do some stenciling on table linens, pillowcases, and even was allowed to use my own artwork on my pillowcase, (a portrait of my horse).
  5. Look in thrift stores and flea markets. I use a glass lid that fits an odd sized cast iron skillet that I have. it took me quite a while to find it but what I did was to take an old tape measure and cut it to the exact size I needed. I stuck it in my purse and every time I saw a lid that looked like it might work, I whipped the tape out and measured it. I finally found the right one and, by my good luck, it also fits my instant pot.
  6. I'd say "no". I think to be labelled "craft" you have to make your beer in quantities small enough that it's possible you could run out of it. I don't think Karl Strauss could qualify for that. It's ironic that craft beers can become so successful that they expand and eventually become too large to be called "craft" beers any longer. I think Samuel Adams is a good illustration of this.
  7. You will love the mini! I'm hoping they come out with a glass lid for it as it would be useful when I use some of the other functions, such as the show cooking one.
  8. I don't know where you are located in Missouri but I have a cousin that has a farm near the southern border and they are plagued with feral hogs. Some are very big. He doesn't let his kids wander around in the woods alone and when he goes out mushrooming or nutting, he carries a rifle, he says a 30.30 because of the shorter barrel and it doesn't carry as far but at close range can stop a hog. He shot a big boar last October while out gathering Hazelnuts and pecans. He says you can Google "feral hogs in Missouri" and get a map that shows locations.
  9. Christopher KImball and "Milk Street"

I've seen the book at our library. Didn't have much time to look through it.
  10. I was aware of this. As I wended my way through my daily Kindle ecookbooks offerings, I kept seeing a notice that I could pre-order his new cookbook. Since it was not what I considered a "deal", I didn't post about it. He appeared on the syndicated Rachael Ray TV show this week looking completely out of place, replete with his bow tie, while promoting his new cookbook and TV show.
  11. Dessert Pizza

I have a friend who makes a couple of dessert pizzas, both on a cooky dough crust. They are very good, if a little too sweet. I've linked them here: Pizza 1 & Pizza 2 . I've also had dessert pizzas made on actual pizza dough - sweetened cream cheese and what amounts to fruit pie filling. I really prefer these to the cooky dough ones. Like @shain, I really love the white pizzas with fruit (and NUTS!) - especially roasted pears or figs - but don't really consider them dessert pizzas. Hope this is what you were looking for @Theresa D!
  12. @liamsaunt Oh, what lovely memories you are bringing back. Mr. Kim and I were there back in the late 1980’s. The trip was a gift from his mother celebrating him attaining his Master’s. We adored it! We were still broke from graduate school and so we did everything on a budget! I’ve never met such lovely people. We still order the sherry pepper sauce to make the fish chowder we loved at the Hog Penny. It was our first trip out of the US and we were told by another couple (who had started their Bermuda trips with their honeymoon in the 1950's) that we had done things in the wrong order. Coming to Bermuda first would ruin us for the other islands - we'd never be satisfied with them. It was true! Thank you for sharing!
  13. I think there are Rx's to consider from the New Cabal : MS Im fortunate that the TV shows end up on my computer for very little effort. I learn a lot from watching Rx's vein made. the magazine is at my public library and I take a look. the book is there soon and Ill take a look. BTW the same day MilkStreet 102 was aired ATK had their own show. I learned from each : MS a bit about pastry dough and on ATK a pear upside-down cake that looked worth trying way back when I made all sorts of upside-down cakes , and the best was w canned pears. good luck to you finding a really ripe pear in N.E, its possible , but you will be disappointed for the other 50 weeks of the year. Ill just let them Churn. after all , as far as I can tell , none of each Cabal are Felons
  14. Today
  15. Yes it's quite frightening isn't it. But in a world where there are facts and alternate facts one should not be too surprised.
  16. "Use it up soup" made in the Instant Pot. No recipe. Found a smoked turkey bone and a couple of sausages in the freezer. Made some stock using up some Parmesan rinds. Tossed in some cooked and some raw vegetables. I think the Parmesan rinds make the soup.
  17. I got mine by accident to replace my other electric pressure cooker that blew up. And although mine is a Chinese knockoff, since the instant pot is also made in China I like to think of it as a brother or perhaps a cousin to the ones that all of you are using. But thanks to all you enablers, I plan to have my grandson bring me a mini pot the next time he comes to Costa Rica.
  18. @Beebs thanks for the ref. I didn't know they advertise at all ! I wish the iPot group the best. they seem to deserve it. maybe they can talk the Anova Group currently vacationing in BoraBora or its equivalent to get back to work on their Steam Oven
  19. Article in the Globe & Mail today "Instant Pot is a sizzling success thanks to home cooks – and Amazon logistics". I did not know the IP was designed in Canada, and also they didn't really advertise until about 2 yrs ago, relying on word of mouth. For my part, I impulse-bought mine, thanks to all you enablers here on eG!
  20. Aldi

I noticed "Simply Natural" Golden Roasted Flax Seed on a shelf. They're tasty—certainly more interesting than regular flax seeds. 15 ounce bag—$2.19
  21. Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

Thank you so much. We have wild duck here but if I shot one, I'd probably gets strung up by my toes. I did see a whole frozen duck in an Asian market once and it was $55. We have great chicken here and I can get lots of good fresh lard so I am all set. How long will it keep in the refrigerator?
  22. Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

Oh I'm so glad you asked about chicken and yes! I do it with chicken. I keep the rub the same, but I'll probably cut down the cooking in the fat time by an hour. And it's delicious pulled apart and served with pasta. Sometimes I'll pull the skin off the confit and then crisp it under the broiler. I've always thought it odd folks, especially in my neck of the woods, don't eat more duck. We have many hunters who harvest wild ducks, but not many folks buy farmed duck. It's so delicious but I concede spendy. The Asian market sells two hindquarters for about 4 bucks. The frozen is about 11 dollars for two hindquarters. You can buy it online, but the darn shipping is nearly, or sometimes more, than the cost of the product since it has to be shipped overnight.
  23. Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

I can't buy duck in any form here. This looks so good. Could I make this with chicken? What changes would I have to make?
  24. rotuts, it was already as crispy as Melba toast. Further toasting would not improve it. No (or little) sugar, no caramelization, no colour. The method of applying heat doesn't even factor into the equation. For great toast you need not only a great toaster but also the appropriate bread.
  25. Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

Over the years I've gotten to the point where I've perfected the curing process for my duck confit and it couldn't be easier. I buy fresh duck hindquarters at a local Asian market, and if those aren't available, frozen from Maple Leaf Farms in the supermarket works just as good. A good measure of Kosher salt, some black peppercorns, fragrant bay leaves, crushed garlic and some crushed juniper berries. That gets sprinkled generously on both sides of the duckies, then covered and into the fridge to cure. This batch cured three days, which is my standard. Then rinsed off before going into the pot for cooking. I'm not a man of great means, i.e. in terms of spending shards of money to buy great vats of duck fat. So I use pork lard that I buy at the local Mexican market. Does a fine job in my opinion. So I melt the lard in a Le Creuset pot, in go the duck hindquarters covered in pork fat. Into the oven at 275 for four hours. Then I take the pot out, let the lard congeal, and the duck confit goes into the fridge until ready to use. I just reheat the pot to melt the fat and gently pull out one of the hindquarters. Then on a rack over a cookie sheet in a blistering hot over to crisp the skin on the duck. This was a good batch, not overly salty and the meat is so tender. Rancho Gordo beans are very easy to work with. Just a soak for about 4 hours in water. Then keep the soaking water to cook the beans, maybe add a little fresh water. Bring to a boil, then down to a simmer. This time I cooked them about 2 1/2 hours with a large smoked ham hock. The greens went in about the last 30 minutes. These beans stew off their own delicious bean broth, so you don't need to add much seasoning nor add something like chicken or vegetable stock. That's it.
  26. I would definitely make this the day before I wanted to serve it, just to let the cake set up and to let the flavors meld. I would have no hesitation to keep this for about 4 days in the refrigerator. I made mine with salmon and I wouldn't keep it more than 4 days. Anna's recipe might keep a couple days more, but if I planed to keep it for very long I would freeze it. This cake should freeze very well.
  1. Load more activity