• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. I forgot the fruit. Traditionally, oranges are seen as lucky and these lucky "orange trees" appear all over the place, Mainly outside commercial premises. This one is outside my nearest posts office. For the last couple of years, every vacant shop has been briefly transformed into a pop-up fruit store selling all sorts. They will sell you a couple of apples if you insist, but they are really looking to sell fruit baskets or cases of fruit to be given as gifts,. Little of it is actually in season, but forced. By the end of next week, they will all be gone.
  3. Cooking with Madhur Jaffrey's Vegetarian India

Just a word to anyone unfamiliar with asafetida, don't let the odor of it scare you away. Cooking with it transforms it.
  4. Today
  5. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

Looks delicious. I can and have eaten capers by the teaspoonful. Hope you were safe in this weather.
  6. Apparently they're aquarium tweezers. I didn't know that was a thing. I suppose I overpaid.. Oh well. Giant tweezers...
  7. Use those alll the time to clean up cacti and weed in tight containers. Its a thing. - seriously
  8. Bought the ingredients, going to go experiment.
  9. Let's compromise and call it fusion Smørrebrød ?
  10. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

Dinner for a wintry work night: Leftover chicken cacciatore over linguine. Capers. Wine.
  11. Happy Chinese New Year!

I thought that was Mexican.
  12. Cooking with Madhur Jaffrey's Vegetarian India

It's probably in 2/3 to 3/4 of the recipes. I've made some of these same recipes without it and they are still delicious, but its flavor is certainly present when you include it. So there's nothing wrong with omitting it, but when you get it you should make the dish again to see what changes.
  13. Camping, Princess Style

I've heard that freezing excess avocados--did you ever think there could be such a thing as excess avocados?--is a reasonable way to preserve a bountiful harvest. I believe the technique is to puree them with a big pinch of salt and the juice of a lime or 2, though I would like something chunkier, or even slices for sandwiches. The puree would suffer less deterioration of texture, I think. Think smoothies, green goddess dressing, even guacamole, though we prefer our guac more on the chunky side. Ice cream is quite wonderful because even without dairy the richness of the avocado makes it deliciously creamy. Soups, cheesecake, cookies, sauces--the ingredient can benefit a lot of baked goods, among other things.. I think it substitutes very nicely for some if not all of the fat in baked goods. I make a quite tasty chocolate fudge that uses avocado as well as a small amount of butter. In your case I'd start pureeing and freezing because the puree is very useful in many other applications. I find avocado needs salt, and a generous squeeze of lime never hurts. We like them sliced and dressed with lime, coarse ground sea salt, and bit of fresh black pepper. Save the best ones for using fresh--the others will be just fine in other applications, like puree. It's a lovely thing to have too many avocados. Admittedly it starts to feel like an obligation and you may despair of being able to use all of them. But with a little creative giving away and having enough freezer space to accommodate the puree, you'll find a use for them. There's a restaurant in Morelia almost directly across from the Cathedral that serves a fish fillet coated in coconut with a slightly piquant avocado sauce. There are many delicious items on the menu but I find I always order that fish. Partly it's the coconut and partly it's the sauce. in fact I'm going to give that recipe a try one of these days. It's not a complicated dish, but the flavors work together brilliantly. In the past the fish has been dorado (mahi mahi) but now it's trout. I think I'll try it with grouper fillets (frozen of course). So rejoice in your windfall. And enjoy the many good things you can do with avocados. We have a tree that has been very good to us. Nancy in Pátzcuaro
  14. Kosher Barbeque Competitions

Sadly, Lamb's is no more. Nor is the Curb Market. However, the old Sears Crosstown has been turned into a gleaming new retail/office/apartment development.
  15. I can't speak for all of the various brands but the Paasche airbrushes I bought came with all 3 nozzle sizes. They came with a 6 foot hose as well but I'm seriously considering grabbing a 15 or 20 foot so I can mount the compressor somewhere out of the way and just run the hose to my work table. I'm using a Paasche compressor so there was no issue with connections to deal with but they sell specific hoses designed for using different combinations of other airbrushes and compressors with their airbrushes and compressors so I'm assuming there is no universal standard.
  16. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

Happy New Year! Lunar New year, It's the Year Of The Dog. Have been invited to a couple of New Years feasts. Amazing food. Although not feeling to cook another big meal, still need to celebrate to bring good luck. For Year Of The Dog, Hot dogs seem appropriate. :-) dcarch
  17. Dissolved to make a new product.
  18. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

or as my hero, Yogi Berra, said when asked if he wanted his large pizza cut in 4 or 8 slices..... "Four. I don't think I can eat eight."
  19. Fresno eats?

Just got back from my week-long trip. I'll be honest, I didn't eat out much. Fresno seems to be chain-restaurant heaven, but luckily, I found two gems near my office. First was House of JuJu https://www.yelp.com/biz/house-of-juju-clovis They serve gourmet burgers and craft beers. Delicious! I got the Dragon Lady Slaw Dog (I didn't know any better, I should've gotten the burger) and my co-worker got Betsy Ross, basically their version of a cheeseburger. They were both delicious but the winner was the burger. They also serve meal-sized salads. Next was Kuppa Joy Coffee House https://www.yelp.com/biz/kuppa-joy-coffee-house-clovis They make delicious cappuccinos with foam art! They also have fresh-made pastries and their almond croissants were just as good as any bakery in Las Vegas. I'll write more detailed reviews when I get the time. I hate to link Yelp (They deleted my negative review on Colton's Social House, another restaurant in Clovis. Could they be any more corrupt?) but it's the best I can do for now. I'm sure I'll be going back Clovis a few more times this year, so I'll be sure to add to this thread.
  20. Update: I made the basil marshmallows - it worked, but tasting basil in a sweet application will take some getting used to. Maybe if it's paired with another flavor... Also, I'll be curious to see if the basil suspended in the mallow browns after a few days.
  21. Happy Chinese New Year!

There is something else? (Except for canned bacon of course.)
  22. Cooking on a Big Green Egg

Just got back from my trip, I am so glad to be home! I went to the Kamado Joe Fontana, CA roadshow and it's not what I expected. I thought he'd be outside doing demos. Nope, he only had a few 13.5" grills out, charcoal bags and cast iron cookware. He said he might be getting some 18" later this week, but I needed to check with him. $969.99 and it included the divide and conquer and a bag. If I were to get a demo grill (where was the demo?) I'd get cast iron flat top, a bag of charcoal and a CI dutch oven, same price. It's 20% less than at Home Depot. He'll be in Fontana till the 25th. I'm still debating... I wish he had some today, it's a long drive for me. I might wait and get it at Home Depot instead of driving to Fontana again. Or if Costco sells the Pit Boss again this year I may get that and wait till next year for the KJ. I wish they were still $779. What a deal! I wonder why they went up so much? Hope it wasn't me.
  23. No pejoration intended towards N. America. It's just that the "North American" nuts are ten times the same price as the identical, more local ones and probably aren't North American at all. Any pejoration is aimed at the buyers. Yes, the butter cookies are the much like those we also get in the UK at Christmas. Most are Chinese made, although one brand is labelled Danish Butter Cookies. Hmmm. Maybe.The only thing most locals know about Denmark is Hans Christian Andersen and butter cookies.
  24. Buying Japanese knives (UK)

I'd love another Watanabe but I can't decide what. I seldom butcher octopus.
  25. @kayb what a beautiful color on the meringue.
  1. Load more activity