• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. The instructions are straightforward enough. (I have always found PH a bit of an old woman with his (overly)stern admonitions.)
  3. Wolf

Lunch 2019

Today, I had to salvage some overcooked beans... My first refried beans.
  4. JoNorvelleWalker

Dinner 2019

How is this different from a cheese soufflé?
  5. Today I’m watching the Great American Baking Show (recorded from Thursday)/ Paul Hollywood’s Crusty Cob Loaf looks amazing. Could be a real challenge to make. Anyone game?
  6. Today
  7. Recipe or process? These look as if they were cut out rather than use of crumpet rings. Fabulous in any event...
  8. blue_dolphin

Breakfast 2019

Oeuf cocotte with rosemary whole grain baguette serving as toast soldiers A little speck, broccolini and unexpected cheddar went into the ramekin with the egg.
  9. weinoo

Dinner 2019

A couple of dinners, a couple of dishes in no discernible order or anything... Roasted red and green peppers, marinated overnight and served with Cantabrian anchovies. Scallops - Wednesday fish vendor (from Montauk) at Union Square. Also had nice looking porgy for $3.99/lb. This was great - white bean soup (cream, stock, mirepoix, pre-cooked Marcella beans from RG). Garnished with D'artagnan crisped ventreche and croutons fried in the renderings of ventreche. Not healthy but delicious.
  10. I think you'll find a lot of uses for them. I'm mostly using them in applications where I would add dried fruit or fruit sauce to the main dish. Very nice strawberry flavor. Of course they would also be delicious with dessert items... over vanilla ice cream, pound cake, pavlova, etc..
  11. mgaretz

Dinner 2019

Stir fry with riced cauliflower, chicken, cabbage, onion, mushrooms and asparagus.
  12. Shelby

Dinner 2019

Venison tenderloin--salad and potato on the side, but I was mostly obsessed with the steak Noodle bowls using up leftover pork belly Lemon chicken and taters with mushroom gravy
  13. I love this little lady. .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MZ0OLdTEDk
  14. Some Zojirushi stuff on Amazon Deal of the Day.
  15. liamsaunt

Dinner 2019

Steak frites, and a gruyere puff for the non-red meat eaters. There was also a salad, I promise!
  16. liamsaunt

Breakfast 2019

I baked a batch of English muffins for the weekend.
  17. My church always serves warm ponche and champurrado at the celebrations after services on Dec 12, the feast of the Virgin of Guadalupe. I've never tried it. I always thought it would be very sweet but I should give it a try sometime.
  18. Thanks for reporting on those strawberries. I've picked up the jar and put it back on the shelf a dozen times because I didn't know what I'd do with them!
  19. Oh yes, Schutt's does a terrific job. For those of you who are looking to order apples, my local place (70 miles from Schutt's, about a mile and a half up the hill from my house) also does a great job: https://ontarioorchards.com/ I regularly send my parents their dried apples.
  20. This Thanksgiving some of the family that lives in Rochester can down to help us celebrate. Since they were driving, I asked if they would mind bringing some apples from their favorite farm store Schutt's Apple Mill.... They brought a wonderful selection of cooking and eating apples. The majority of the cooking apples because applesause (I reserved a few to make baked apples). This made for one of the best applesauce batches I have canned in years. cook's treat 🙂
  21. Similar packaging to Trader Joe's Pitted Amarena Cherries, spotted these Italian strawberries on my last visit. Very tasty! First tried them with some cream of wheat. Will be part of today's breakfast, spooned on top of some Trader Joe's cheese blintzes.
  22. Anna N

Breakfast 2019

More fatoot samneh made in the A4 box. I wouldn’t normally post this since we’ve seen it enough times now but today I made it with a different pita. This one was labelled as Lebanese style and was much less doughy than the ones I have been using. And I used commercial ghee instead of my homemade. The dish made this way was also good but given my choice I prefer the thicker bread and the flavour of the homemade ghee. Yeah, I know. Not very scientific. Never change more than one variable at a time. But I was making breakfast not conducting an experiment. I forgot to add that after I tasted it I decided to add even more variables and sprinkled it with Trader Joe’s umami powder!
  23. Good for you. I haven’t done anything with it yet and my conscience is pricking me! Not quite enough yet to get me moving but sooner or later…
  24. What a coincidence. I had just saved this recipe to try. Ponche Navideno
  25. Hi @lindag and @DanM, Douglas Baldwin has tables for temperatures to cook meats, fish and vegetables. His book is Sous Vide for the Home Cook. You can find information about sous vide, Baldwin's tests for food safety, his education, and his articles and book on his website here. According to Baldwin, vegetables mostly require 185F(85C) except potatoes which require 175F(80C). I reference the tables in his book all the time!
  26. This is exactly what this is, a configurable electric induction skillet/hot pot. I do think its a thoughtful design, but I have only three "cooks" in it so far.
  1. Load more activity