• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Ducks may say “quack quack” when they speak English but in Chinese they say 呷呷 (gā gā). I suspect Lady Quackquack doesn’t know that! S: 鸭蛋;T: 鴨蛋 (yā dàn), duck eggs are my default egg purchase here in China, as they are for many people. Specifically, I buy sea duck eggs from nearby Qinzhou in southern Guangxi. These birds live by the shores of the Gulf of Tonkin and are prized over other ducks both for their meat and eggs. Qinzhou sea duck eggs Larger than chicken eggs, and generally more ethically raised (no battery ducks, methinks) the eggs taste great. The fresh ones are noted for their deep yellow yolks and even richer taste. Duck eggs make for awesome scrambled eggs. Contrary to some people’s expectations, the ducks don't generally eat fish, so aren’t at all fishy in taste. They mostly eat insects and are even used in paddy fields as natural insecticides. The eggs have noticeably thicker shells so less chance of breaking them on the way home from the grocer’s shop. Every store here carries duck eggs. Sea or land. Again in many forms. And in many colours; not that colour is any indication of anything else. They can be white, green, blue-shelled and more but what’s inside is the same. Most salted eggs and most pidan/century eggs are made from duck eggs. Salted duck egg These are alsoso;d individually wrapped as snacks. Eat a traditional mooncake at Mid-Autumn Festival and you’ll bite into a salted duck egg yolk representing the moon. Yolks are sold seperate;y for this and similar applications. What they do with the whites, I don't know. Mooncake with salted duck egg yolk I’m told duck eggs are good for baking, but I’m no baker so take that as you like. I guess, given their larger yolks versus white, some adjustments may be necessary to your recipes. Unlike other birds' eggs these are also sometimes sold roasted, which would please the English poet Alexander Pope who wrote in The second epistle of the second book of Horace: imitated by Mr. Pope. "The vulgar boil, the learned roast, an egg." Learned eggs Finally, S: 吃鸭蛋; T: 吃鴨蛋 (chī yā dàn), to eat duck egg(s) is a figurative expression in Chinese meaning to score zero in a test or competition. Massive fail!
  3. These are good answers, all. I appreciate it. Out of curiosity though, can repeated refrying it extend the shelf life in the refrigerator indefinitely?
  4. Today
  5. Here's an interesting method from Jacques:
  6. NadyaDuke

Breakfast 2024

Leftover stacked enchiladas (see Dinner thread) topped with a traditional egg.
  7. Katie Meadow

Corn Cob Stock

@Shel_B Options above are worth trying, since we're talking little money and an easy experiment. But have you tried Berkeley Bowl for fresh corn? They have had fresh corn, presumably from Mexico, all winter, and usually it's been decent. We bought some just two weeks ago to make corn and mushroom quesadillas. Not as sweet as local summer corn, but worth using in various dishes.
  8. blue_dolphin

Corn Cob Stock

I think frozen cobs would work for this purpose. I usually make my cob broth in the Instant Pot. See Kenji's comparison of a stove top simmer vs pressure cook for corn cob broth here.
  9. liamsaunt

Dinner 2024

Tuesday we had a simple Macomber turnip soup. Last night was chicken, broccolini, and pepper stir fry
  10. Another one from Snacking Bakes by Yossy Arefi. Date and Pistachio Coffee Bars... The picture in the book looks like they were made with light brown sugar but I used the dark brown called for in the recipe. They had a nice chew, and the flavour profile was coffee with a very dark, almost bitter, caramel note. The coffee and coconut combo is a new one on me; I couldn't taste coconut, but could tell there was something different to the coffeeness. I quite like unusual and somewhat challenging flavours like this. I'd be interested to try light brown sugar next time, just to see if the dark, bitter character is the point of difference.
  11. gfweb

Corn Cob Stock

I've made it occasionally. It doesn't take long to cook...and hour maybe. Just water, corn and some salt. I've done frozen cobs and it worked fine.
  12. I do the same for Japanese curry paste.
  13. My replacement oven is going back to Anova today and they are sending me a new one. So this will be oven #3.
  14. Chocolate is a food group? If so.......
  15. Breakfast sandwich of egg omelet with mushroom, green onions, red and green Thai chilis, herbs and cheddar on rye with tomato and lettuce.
  16. Even more proof that dishwashers are horrifically underpaid. Most of us customers have no idea about these things. I hope the dishes get rinsed thoroughly--I wouldn't want to ingest any of that stuff!
  17. Shel_B

Corn Cob Stock

I often enjoy hoe cakes, sometimes called Johnny cakes, and also by other names. It's a simple recipe that has its roots in Native American cooking. Over the years, the original recipe has been "improved" with the addition of other ingredients besides the original corn and water, such as white flour, sugar, and so on. I make mine by closely following traditional methods. Yesterday I saw a video where someone made stock from corn cobs which were left over from cutting the kernels from the cobs. I want to try this, and use the corn cob stock instead of water in my hoe cakes. Unfortunately, there ain't no fresh corn around here at this time of the year. However, I've seen frozen corn-on-the-cob and I'm wondering if the frozen cobs would make a decent stock. The ingredients are just cobs and water, and maybe a touch of salt. Would I be wasting my time using frozen cobs, or do you think it's worth a try? I'm inclined to give it a shot, but would also appreciate some feedback. Another thought would be to use frozen kernels, whiz 'em around in the Vitamix with some water, and then heat and strain the results. Any thoughts on that technique?
  18. Duvel

Dinner 2024

Warm enough to fire up the BBQ outside, but not warm enough to dine al fresco (at least not for everyone 🤭) … Meats: sausage, Grillfackel (spiced pork belly wrapped around wooden skewers), pork collar steaks and chicken filets. Homemade herb butter bread … Tomato mozzarella pesto … Roasted courgettes with dried tomatoes and feta cheese … Potato “pockets” with cream cheese filling (hooray for air fryers) … Kartoffelsalat with bacon and cucumbers … There was also an off-dry Riesling and copious amounts of a new lime mint soda - no complaints 🤗
  19. We care about our staff and these concentrated chemicals can dangerous and even cause permanent blindness or eat through your gas pipe next to the range(don't ask how we know!). Their SDS's are too long to print/post or even read/remember. So we made this simple all encompassing sign to post, all compressed nicely down. Thought we'd share for those like minded: COMMERCIAL DISHWASHER’S 3 LIQUID-CHEMICALS HANDLING/WARNINGS These Are Highly Concentrated, NOT Like Your Home’s Mild & Slow Dishwasher Products. *Hazards: Chemical Skin Burns/Holes/Permanent Blindness* A Delayed/Sudden Burning Sensation Can Be Indicative Of Skin Exposure. Handle With Care & Avoid Exposure. Wear PPE, Eye Glasses, Gloves & Long Sleeves. Immediately After, Thoroughly Water Rinse/Mild Soap Wash: Hands/Any Potentially Exposed Skin Areas/Clothing & Spills. Eye Exposure: Water Rinse For 15+ Minutes. Remove Contact Lense If Present, Once Easy To Do. For A Serious Exposure/If Needed: Seek Medical Attention Protect Containers From: Damage/Fall/Impact. Acids/Other Purpose Chemicals. The Reach Of Children. Remedy Any Leaks & Avoid Stacking. May be Highly Corrosive To Pipes/Metals. Store In Suitable & Properly Labeled Containers. 1. DETERGENT: Removes & Suspends Soils & Grease/Oil. Typically Contains: A Very Strong Alkaline Formula, Such As Sodium Hydroxide. 2. RINSE AID: Speeds Drying, & Reduces: Hard Water Spots/Streaks. Need For Hand Drying/Polishing, For A Sparkling Shine. Typically Contains: Citric Acids, Alcohols And Other Things To Help Water Slip Off. Concentrated Rinse Aid Is Relatively Skin Safe, Compared To Detergent Or Sanitizer. 3. SANITIZER: Germicide/Disinfectant. Typically Contains: Chlorine Based Bleaching Agents. Never Allow This To Mix With Acid/Ammonia: Creates A Dangerous Chlorine Gas. (For Ingestion & More Info: See Mfg’s Online S.afety D.ata S.heet) = Take Care! COMMERCIAL DISHWASHER’S 3 LIQUID-CHEMICALS HANDLING/WARNINGS These Are Highly Concentrated, NOT Like Your Home’s Mild & Slow Dishwasher Products. *Hazards: Chemical Skin Burns/Holes/Permanent Blindness* A Delayed/Sudden Burning Sensation Can Be Indicative Of Skin Exposure. Handle With Care & Avoid Exposure. Wear PPE, Eye Glasses, Gloves & Long Sleeves. Immediately After, Thoroughly Water Rinse/Mild Soap Wash: Hands/Any Potentially Exposed Skin Areas/Clothing & Spills. Eye Exposure: Water Rinse For 15+ Minutes. Remove Contact Lense If Present, Once Easy To Do. For A Serious Exposure/If Needed: Seek Medical Attention Protect Containers From: Damage/Fall/Impact. Acids/Other Purpose Chemicals. The Reach Of Children. Remedy Any Leaks & Avoid Stacking. May be Highly Corrosive To Pipes/Metals. Store In Suitable & Properly Labeled Containers. 1. DETERGENT: Removes & Suspends Soils & Grease/Oil. Typically Contains: A Very Strong Alkaline Formula, Such As Sodium Hydroxide. 2. RINSE AID: Speeds Drying, & Reduces: Hard Water Spots/Streaks. Need For Hand Drying/Polishing, For A Sparkling Shine. Typically Contains: Citric Acids, Alcohols And Other Things To Help Water Slip Off. Concentrated Rinse Aid Is Relatively Skin Safe, Compared To Detergent Or Sanitizer. 3. SANITIZER: Germicide/Disinfectant. Typically Contains: Chlorine Based Bleaching Agents. Never Allow This To Mix With Acid/Ammonia: Creates A Dangerous Chlorine Gas. (For Ingestion & More Info: See Mfg’s Online S.afety D.ata S.heet) = Take Care!
  20. By far, the most widely eaten eggs in the world are laid, of course, by female Gallus gallus or Gallus domesticus – chicken hens. S:鸡蛋; T: 雞蛋 (jī dàn), chicken eggs are no less popular in China. Note that in Chinese the bird is always specified, 鸡/雞 (jī) being ‘chicken’. According to Statista, in 2022, China had over 5 billion chickens, more than any other country by a wide margin. Indonesia was second with 3.5 billion and the USA was 5th with a paltry* 1.5 billion. Of course, not all of these were layers, but most were. I should note at this point that eggs are never refrigerated here in China. In fact, they aren’t in most places. I’ve never put eggs in the refrigerator in my life. The USDA regulations mean that most eggs are washed before sale, removing the natural protective coating eggs have, without which they have to be refrigerated. Also, in most of Europe, chickens are vaccinated against salmonella. This NPR article explains in further detail. As usual, in China the eggs are sold fresh (by weight unlike in some countries where they are sold by number), but again also come in disguise. They are often boiled and eaten on the hoof or dropped into noodle dishes. They are, of course, used in egg fried rice. They are scrambled with tomato; fried; steamed etc. Omelettes are made, but eggs are very seldom poached. Boiled eggs They are often sold salt cured. Salt cured chicken egg Also, a good proportion are processed into 皮蛋 (pí dàn), aka century eggs, 100-year-old-eggs, thousand year eggs, millennium eggs, and many other names. Pidan This is the unwary shopper’s danger zone. Often century eggs look exactly like fresh eggs. Read the labels! Pidan will be clearly marked 皮蛋 or 松花蛋 (sōng huā dàn), the latter being a prized version in which the egg develops a pattern supposedly resembling a pine flower, which is what the name means – they are nutritionally and taste-wise, identical. Pine Flower Century Egg Traditionally made pidan are easily identifiable. they are coated in rice husks, but factory made eggs, the majority today, are indistinguishable. Traditional style pidan Pidan are often served with chilli as a side dish or chopped in congee. Pidan with chilli dip My favourite breakfast is 皮蛋瘦肉粥 (pí dàn shòu ròu zhōu), century egg and pork mince congee. Century egg and pork mince congee S: 茶叶蛋; T: 茶葉蛋 (chá yè dàn) are sold in mom and pop stores or roadside. These are boiled eggs with cracked but unpeeled shells which are then stewed in black tea with herbs and spices. The tea enters the cracks and ‘paints’ intricate patterns while flavouring the eggs. A common snack. * Weak pun intended!
  21. The next egg to be laid is the one I see least often. And it will be the one I have least to say about. S: 鸽蛋; T: 鴿蛋 (gē dàn), pigeon eggs only very occasionally turn up in my local markets and stores, but I can buy them online. They are only a little larger than quail eggs. When boiled the ‘white’ takes on this strange looking blue-tinged translucent appearance. Otherwise, they taste just like quail eggs. I have no idea how people use them; none of my friends have eaten them.
  22. My next (not so) few posts are going to be about an ingredient that is used almost universally. The humble but amazingly versatile source of life itself – the egg. When I arrived in China, I was surprised to find almost every market and supermarket carried a larger range of eggs than anything I’d seen anywhere else. Not only were there eggs from more types of bird, but I also had to be careful within the choice from any one bird. Even small neighbourhood mom and pop stores carry more than one type of species and type. I’ll start with the smallest and work my way up. 鹌鹑蛋 (ān chún dàn), quail eggs. Not only are these sold everywhere; they come in different formats. Fresh quail eggs are boiled and served in soups, noodle dishes and hotpots. I’ve had them as a garnish with fried rice and fried noodles, as well as other dishes. However, also available most places are S: 咸鹌鹑蛋; T: 鹹鹌鹑蛋 (xián ān chún dàn), salt baked quail eggs. These are often prepared in-house by supermarkets but also sold individually wrapped as snack items. In the supermarkets, the eggs are buried in a mound of salt and baked. The salt is cracked open and the eggs extracted to be sold by weight. As you will see, the fresh eggs in the yellow bowl above look identical to these salted eggs. It took me a few attempts to buy the ones I really wanted! I had to learn to read the labels. This applies to eggs from almost all species. The individually wrapped salted eggs are sold like this. A bit easier. Another snack item is S: 卤香鹌鹑蛋; T: 鹵香鹌鹑蛋 (lǔ xiāng ān chún dàn), stewed, spiced quail eggs. They are usually stewed with 5-spice powder. For those who find peeling boiled quail eggs difficult or boring, they are sold peeled by some supermarkets. Several years ago, I had a student who was funding her studies by working part time in a large, local supermarket. Her main task was peeling the quail eggs. She taught me her secret method. The eggs are placed in a bowl and covered with a 50:50 mix of rice vinegar and water and left for 15 minutes. Lo and behold, the shells dissolve and leave prisitine peeled specimens which are then washed and sold. I've tried it and it works without leaving a vinegar taste to the eggs. Not a Chinese preparation, but I usually use quail eggs to make mini scotch eggs. Quail scotch eggs with duck meat and panko casing.
  23. Batch 35: 90g blanched Spanish almonds 90g apricot kernels 350g water 280g sugar 60ml Wray & Nephew Overproof In addition I made a batch with only 100g sugar and no rum which I froze into almond sorbet.
  24. NadyaDuke

Dinner 2024

Stacked green chile smoked pork enchiladas. My New Mexico cookbook assured me that sour cream and black olives are an acceptable alternative to a fried egg, which is what I’ve usually seen. I got a tortilla press for Christmas and made tortillas thinking I’d make my normal rolled enchiladas but these little guys seemed to want to be stacked. As you can see, I had a bit of sliding so I’ll be more careful putting them under the broiler next time! My cookbook said to put the lettuce in a wreath but had to settle for a crescent.
  25. Yesterday
  26. Well, when I say quick bread, I think of something baked in a loaf tin, without yeast. The breakfast cake does look good but might be messy to eat in a car or at a desk.
  1. Load more activity