• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. The vegetarians I know eat cheese (and wear leather, but not fur). I suspect that this is because originally, they were unaware of the rennet element, and if and when they did find out about it, they figured they may as well go on eating cheese. This is just my hypothesis: I've never asked! The vegetarians I know best (including everyone else in my immediate family, lifetime vegetarians) are neither intrusive nor political about it, so I've seen no point in bothering them about this.
  3. Today
  4. Just curious, @MetsFan5, do they offer you any way to provide feedback on the meals? Personal taste is one thing but burnt pasta or pasta soup sounds like a real failure of their products that I’d hope they'd want to correct. It is interesting that the pasta meals are their most popular as quick pasta dishes are my go-to meals to toss together in a hurry so I probably wouldn’t pick them. Thanks for all the updates!
  5. I have tried various sets from the meals. The Udon is as good but the rest is absolute trash. To be fair, I don’t have high expectations but one time the pasta burnt at the top and the other time it came out like a soup. That said, the proteins cooks well and are juicy and flavorful. From my experiences the over steams most of the time and then bakes and sometimes broils. Their Asian centric meals to me have been the best. Yet the pasta meals are there most popular. As someone who tends to make sauce from scratch I know I should stay away from Italian (for lack of a better term) meals.
  6. Rennet essentially remains in the whey so it is present in very limited amounts in the final cheese, but it is enough to generate concerns for those who don't want to enjoy dead animal products in their food. That's why it makes rennet-made cheese "not vegan" or "not vegetarian", but it is ok for "flexi..." or whatever terminology is correct to define those who does not negate all animal based products the right to be digested inside their stomachs (I often got lost, in case of doubt and need, I would directly ask regarding the product as much specific as I can )
  7. I will try to do it as soon as possible ... usually my wife or my mother cooks the meals for us ... so i never tried to learn cooking properly ... but maybe next year i will have to move to a different country and then i will have to cook food for myself ... so i better start learning this without wasting much time ... Thanks for your cooking tips
  8. Honkman

Dinner 2024

Mushroom stew with cremini, white mushrooms, portobello, shiitake and oyster, shallots, garlic, thyme, paprika, rosemary, coriander, tomato paste, cilantro, chickpea flour (which gave a really nice velvety texture) and vegetable broth
  9. Here's what's on my aluminum sheet pan, the stuff is slick and nothing sticks to it. It's also quite resilient, hasn't come off despite scrubbing for several years now. Is this a reasonable goal on the waffler? Somehow, I suspect it won't be possible...
  10. haresfur

Dinner 2024

Yes, I'd call that a schnitzel, or in the vernacular of my country, "a schnitty"
  11. That's interesting. I did a quick check for recipes and found a few. Seems easy enough to make but it would be nice to compare them with what you come up with. Thanks so much.
  12. If you did end up with extra apple butter, you can use it in cake or muffin recipes. Do a Google search for baking with apple butter or apple butter in cakes, etc. Or ask here for a recipe! 🙂
  13. There is also something called applestroop, or apple syrup. If you're interested, I can find a Dutch recipe for you tomorrow. It tends to have fewer spices and may be better as a glaze than apple butter.
  14. Thanks so much for your suggestions and info. I will start with a small batch on the stovetop, and keep it simple for the first batch. The recipe you've linked to seems like it will be a good starting point.
  15. Thanks so much for the link and the translation. For some reason, truly unknown to me, I thought the origins of apple butter were in England. Since I've only had apple butter once, probably about 50 years ago, and never as a glaze of any sort, I really don't know what I'm looking for. However, when I make apple sauce, I like to keep it simple, and never add sugar or flavorings with the sometimes exception of a touch of lemon juice. I'll start simply with a small batch on the stovetop. I don't own a slow cooker, although I understand that the Instant Pot can be used as one. Maybe I'll look into that. Anyway, thanks again.
  16. YvetteMT

Dinner 2024

Elk steak, mushrooms, scalloped potatoes
  17. Yesterday
  18. Norm Matthews

Dinner 2024

I thought I was out of eggs so I got a carton then when I got home I discovered I got a carton yesterday.. oh well I have been craving Scotch Eggs lately.
  19. NadyaDuke

Lunch 2024

We went for a drive to scout out a potential camping spot and ended up for lunch at a small town burger place that was stellar. Bacon cheeseburger and fries for him, avocado bacon cheeseburger and onion rings for for me. Plus a strawberry shake. We took a lot home including half the shake! Bonus pics of some of the beautiful spring foliage we’re getting. Beautiful day for a drive.
  20. https://www.eefkooktzo.nl/apple-butter-appel-boter/ Apple butter originated in Holland and Germany. Here is one recipe. Translation of ingredients in order: Apples, peeled and cored Light brown sugar Vanilla sugar Cinnamon Nutmeg Ginger Cloves All spices are ground. Eetlepel is tablespoon, theelepel is teaspoon. Put everything in a slow cooker and cook for 10 hours on low, stirring every now and again. Puree. Put back in a pot and reduce to desired consistency. I read some of the reviews and a few people thought the spicing was a bit heavy. Someone suggested using half. Personally I'm not a big fan of cloves so I'd reduce that for sure. Anyways, I hope this is akin to what you're looking for.
  21. I'd say translucent is the stage before browning.
  22. In my experience, browning, sweating and caramelizing all require different times. Sweating I think simply means cooking on very low heat until they are very soft without letting them get any color. Caramelization can take up to a half hour on low heat, but the goal is to make them sweet and they will definitely get golden-brown. "Browning" takes the least time of the three and doesn't need to be done on super-low heat. Just my three cents about onions.
  23. Katie Meadow

Passover 2024

The NYT has a recent recipe for Alemandrados, almond-lemon macaroons. My contribution has always been charoset, but if I were given the dessert task I think I would make them.
  24. Norm Matthews

Dinner 2024

This is the first time I have made it in such a long time that I don't remember but the recipe notes say you can make it the day before and that it is still crispy three days later. OH PS You can cut the recipe down if it is too much. The one I made was with a quarter head of cabbage. It was easy to cut the rest of the ingredients by quarters or halves.
  25. blue_dolphin

Lunch 2024

Roasted Cauliflower Salad with Quick-Pickled Raisins from The Global Pantry Cookbook The cauliflower and onion slices get tossed with olive oil and ras el hanout and roasted. The raisins are microwaved for a minute in a flavorful brine that's supposed to be made with Banyuls vinegar. I had none and used an aged Pedro Ximenez sherry vinegar instead. I liked this but would probably do something other than turn it into a salad.
  26. I was kidding! I know you are a storehouse of knowledge and your explanation of Hercules is the only even half plausible one yet, except of course for mine about the lion! I don't blame anyone for making stuff.up. I have a good friend who is also a fount of information, arcane or otherwise, and gets teased about the fact that if she doesn't know the answer she tells you anyway-- ESPECIALLY when it sounds sort of good. .Have you ever played the Dictionary Game? You chose a word from the dictionary that people with you swear they don't know and you write the definition on a piece of paper.. Then everyone writes down what they think is a good definition of the word. The answers get read out loud and everyone tries to guess the real definition. Some people are really great at sounding like their absurd idea is convincing.
  27. AlaMoi

How big is an onion?

'stuff' sold by weight - i.e. a 5# bag of . . . there is usually some 'pre-sorting' for size/weight, but in order to make the bag as close as possible to the specified weight selected smaller size/weights is added to the reach an acceptable tolerance. I'd dump out my last bag and take a pix - but I've already used up the small ones . . .
  28. I would love to see Breville make a 2400W (240V 10A) version for non-US/CA markets. However I'm guessing that they'll only be selling them in the US for a while for a few reasons (such as the U.S. probably being their biggest market by far for it, potential issues for residential support networks outside the U.S., etc.). Additionally, I'm not sure if the new slimmer model is designed to dissipate the kind of heat necessary for 2400W induction cooking. It might be. I really don't know. But I would not be surprised if they designed and optimized this model for the US/CA market with the idea of creating an "international" version later if the U.S. version sells well enough--and that may mean that the circuitry is not sized for 2400W. I'm planning to get one of the new Control Freak Home units. Right now though I'm mostly looking forward to seeing the reviews. The automated programs in particular are the part that's most interesting to me--especially if it's possible to input multi-step custom programs. I'm also hoping that they post a manual sometime soon. I looked on Chefsteps.com, but I couldn't find one.
  1. Load more activity