• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. I wasn't being snarky, I really wanted to know where it was from! There are a couple of sea salt producers here on the Island (scroll down to see a few). I usually buy from Clever Crow Farm which is very near here. It's a very small operation, Lia slowly simmers the salt water on the stove in her farm store and has a drying room for the salt (and herbs) on the lower level. Thanks for checking on the source! 🙂
  3. Ann_T

Dinner 2019

We had dinner at our neighbours last night. Clif and Barbs. It was Clif's birthday and dinner was a feast of fresh King Crab. Clif put in a request for the marbled cream cheese brownies that I make which are his favourite. Cream cheese layer is quite yellow thanks to the eggs from a friends farm.
  4. I agree with @dcarch - everything has a "resonant frequency" - if you match your vibration to the resonant frequency of the jello you will get maximum wobble with minimal power. Otherwise, you will have to tune your jello's resonant frequency (by means of its viscosity) to the phone's vibration frequency which I think would be a LOT harder to do. If part of the art exhibition revolves around people calling the "phone" to make it vibrate, there are ways around that too. You can use an inexpensive Raspberry Pi with a simple Python script to trigger the vibratory motor from a phone call, text or email or other stimulus.
  5. (facepalm) Duh...I've done that with chickpeas, and quite enjoyed the result. Should have thought of that one myself. ...which, of course, is exactly why I've started this thread.
  6. These got thumbs up all around. They would’ve been eaten the same day but as I have noted, after a few days they became very crumbly.
  7. Seapoint Farms sells bags of roasted black soybeans as a snack - what about if you cook them and roast until crunchy?
  8. After a few days I understand better what you were talking about. They were still tasty but they were now extremely crumbly probably the rice flour would have taking care of some of this “crumblingness”.
  9. BeeZee

Lunch 2019

leftovers from Saturday, gnocchi with arugula pesto and grilled chicken
  10. This is what I would do: 1. buy a micro motor vibrator, they are very cheap less than a dollar. They are very tiny, size of a large pea. They run on 1.5v battery, draws very little power. 2. Get a variable resister (rheostat), or a low voltage controller, ( about a dollar). 3. a cheap non-functioning phone. 4. make your jello with everything in it except the battery and voltage controller, which will be wired to the vibrating motor hidden remotely. ---------------------------------------- The reason for this setup is because just like a violin, the jello will have a very specific vibrating frequency, with the adjustable motor rotation (vibration) synchronized , you will have the jello really dancing. (Note - all components can be purchased on ebay.) dcarch
  11. Today
  12. The full first episode of this second season of The Chef Show is available on YouTube for those non-Netflix subscribers among us:
  13. In addition to resurrecting a weekly, stand-alone food section, the LA Times recently launched a 10-week series of short videos titled "Off Menu." In the first episode, Thai Town restauranteur Jazz Singsanong, owner of Jitlada, accompanies the host, Lucas Peterson to a giant Los Angeles Asian market to shop then back to her restaurant to cook some home style dishes. It's available freely on YouTube, though the accompanying recipe for nam prik goong may be behind a paywall. I had to laugh when he said that you could find anything at LAX-C, the market they visited. It may be true that everything is there but I can attest that finding it in that huge market can be quite another thing!
  14. 1. That's a really unpleasant thing to do to somebody. 2. iPhones are, clearly, waterproof with cling film 3. It turns out you do get network coverage through jelly. I didn't think his one looked that good though - it looked pretty hard too. I'll see if I can do better. I've got almost two weeks, so why not?
  15. There was an article on the Cosmic Crisp in the LATimes the other day: Move over, Honeycrisp: New Cosmic Crisp apple to debut at grocery stores It noted: I'll keep an eye out to see if any of them make their way down here. Meanwhile, I'm still eating some of the Macs I bought when I was back in northern NY a few weeks ago. I can buy Macs at the local farmers market here in So Cal but they're never as good as the ones from home!
  16. blue_dolphin

Costco

That Groupon is no longer available so I guess it's just as well that it wasn't a good fit.
  17. Hard to believe we are the nation's top apple producers here in Washington, but until this year we hadn't cultivated an apple in the state. Washington State University created the "Cosmic Crisp" which is just now in markets. From what I've read it takes years to cultivate a new apple so I'm sure they've been at it for a while. They will own exclusive rights to sell the apple for 10 years. I haven't seen it yet, but it's described as a cross between the Enterprise and the Honeycrisp. They say that it has a long shelf life and does well stored in the fridge. It's best for eating they say with a good balance of sweet and tart and very crisp. I'll try to buy some when it shows up locally. It's already in markets in the Seattle and Yakima areas.
  18. This guy put his wife's iPhone in Jello and it still worked.
  19. Anna N

Dinner 2019

Would never have thought of that! Thanks.
  20. Thanks Teo, I'll give that a shot. I'm currently trying one with a 1.8% gelatin ratio - according to a couple of sources, this is what you'd normally use for a wobbly dessert jelly. Doesn't 2.4g make it a bit "hard"? I also wonder what the vibration will do to its structural integrity. It should be OK, but I'm not sure it's been thoroughly tested I'm not sure I want to monkey around building jelly blocks. It will not go well.
  21. MelissaH

Costco

Thanks for the info. The shop card I'd use. The rest, not so much. Sounds like, at least for the way we shop, we're better off at Wegmans!
  22. I wonder how reception through jello will be ... what if you made two blocks of jello then carved a cavity for the phone and sandwiched them with the phone in the middle? While the phone would still be touching moist jello, it wouldn’t be submerged in liquid while the jello sets.
  23. lemniscate

Costco

@MelissaH Looks like there's a Groupon deal. I've never used a Groupon anything so I'm not familiar with the process. Article HERE. Groupon link HERE. To be honest, this is a fantastic deal. Also canceling a Costco membership is very, very easy if you are not satisfied. My advice is go for this deal, get the bennies and then test out Costco for your needs. I've been a member for decades and never once regretted it. Highlights of deal here: (LOTS of stuff included, nice things) Groupon is running a limited time offer for a Costco Gold Star membership. According to Groupon’s website, the package deal is valued at $148.98 when you take into account the membership fee and the additional goodies. If you buy a membership through Costco’s website, you can get a one-year Gold Star Costco membership for $60. So, what does this Groupon deal actually get you? Here’s what you get for the $60 Groupon Costco deal: A One-Year Costco Gold Star Membership. This includes a membership card for the Primary Cardholder and one additional Household Card for anyone over the age of 18 and living at the same address. A $20 Costco Shop Card. The gift card is valid towards any Costco purchase, including gas. Exclusive coupons for the following products (a $68.98 value) which vary depending on your Costco location Free Kirkland Signature Ultra Clean HE Laundry Detergent Pacs (a $17.99 value) Free Kirkland Signature Create-a-Size® Paper Towels (a $15.99 value) $10 off Fresh Meat. This includes beef, chicken, pork, or fish but excludes deli items. $25 off any order of $250+ on Costco.com
  24. Throwing this out there for suggestions. My late father had a restless mind, and was prone to sudden enthusiasms. One of those, a year before he died, was growing some backyard soybeans. There was some question for a few months as to whether my mother was lactose-intolerant (turns out she's not) and he thought it might be cool to grow some beans and experiment with making his own soy milk and tofu. He did both, but by that time they knew my mom wasn't intolerant and he quickly discovered that he didn't really care for soy milk and tofu. He used up what he'd made in baking their "special" high-protein, high-fiber bread, but still had several pounds of the beans left over. Those now reside at my house. They're a few years old, and therefore past their youthful prime, but I cooked an experimental batch and they did cook up evenly in a reasonable length of time. So here's my conundrum: I wasn't super-keen on them just as a plain cooked bean. I like me the odd dollop of black-bean sauce at the Chinese restaurant, but a) making it from scratch isn't something I feel inclined to take on right now; and b) I probably wouldn't use it up. I could just discard them of course, and that's their likeliest fate, but I *do* hate to waste food, especially when it's one of the last things my father grew. So I thought I'd call on the collective wisdom here at eG, and see what comes of it. Anyone?
  25. That was my first thought as well, as they're very white on the interior and make a good pie. They're my go-to, if I'm making a pie from a single variety (I often combine them for broader flavor). It's hard to tell by appearance, because Cortlands from some trees are all red, like the ones in the image, but more often they're streaked with green or half-and-half. I've been to the U-pick twice in the past few weeks, so this is all fresh in my head. On yesterday's trip I also got the season's last bag of Dudleys from one grower. They're a 19th-century variety that's popular in Maine and parts of NB, but which I had not previously seen. Looking forward to trying those. In recent weeks I've made dehydrated rings for the grandkids, replenished my store of applesauce, made a couple of apple cakes to share with the neighbours, apple crisp at my GF's request and an apple pie for (Canadian) Thanksgiving. None of them unusual or notable in any way, and no photos to show (I really need to start using my actual camera one day...).
  26. liuzhou

Dinner 2019

Duckburgers. Meat and some fat from duck leg. The bulk of the fat has been rendered and stored and the bones are currently turning into duck stock for tomorrow. More than one burger was consumed.
  27. We had something profoundly good last night. We purchased these beef ribs from Whole Foods a couple weeks ago. I don't remember the price, but it had to have been a decent deal for Ronnie to spring for it lol. We sawed them to make a little rack of short ribs and were left with these which we cold smoked at 185 F for 4 hours. Then I vac packed them and put them in the water bath on Saturday for 24 hours at 155 F. Ohhhhhh they were melty and tender, but not totally falling apart. Perfect.
  1. Load more activity