• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Darienne

Mozzarella: what to do with it?

You know, I think I could go for Arancini. Sounds delicious. Yes. I'll make some. Thanks, @BeeZee.
  3. What sort of knives you thinking?
  4. Curls.....who needs ladels when we can use plastic cups....?....lol
  5. Chimayo Joe

Carl's Jr. - 2019 and beyond

I hadn’t been to Carl’s Jr. in years, but I watched a Good Mythical Morning YouTube video where Carl’s Jr. won their chicken tenders shootout. I don’t usually put much credence in those guys’ taste tests(or anything else), but that Carl’s Jr. beat out even the chicken places including Popeyes caused me to give Carl’s Jr. a try. Lo and behold, their chicken tenders are really good. I’m sure it helped that they cooked them to order while I was sitting in the drive-thru, but they were still really good when I got home half an hour later.
  6. Darienne

Mozzarella: what to do with it?

@cdh: oops. Never thought of that. It's simply the firm block style. Thanks. @pastrygirl: Not much for fondues...but we do have two large always looking for a treat dogs. @BeeZee: I've already run it through the food processor for slices...Carpal Tunnel thingy... Have to Google arancini...yes, it's that bad... We use a lot of cheese and I have this wonderful cheese cracker from Williams Sonoma that I make regularly which can take a lot of different cheeses...but not Mozzarella. We're not much for Mozzarella. It's just not a favorite.
  7. DJ Silverchild

flavored cocoa butter colors

Whoa so isn't that another version of the Valrhona Inspiration line? Also I would much much rather use a natural color additive over titanium dioxide. Inn fact, titanium oxide is why I don't use colored cocoa butter.
  8. Today
  9. Amber Waddell

Sun-dried Tomato and Goat Cheese Pasta

This is a recipe for about two people. It depends on how much your family eats. I normally make a pound for my family of four and we have some leftovers.
  10. This looks good. How many people does it serve?
  11. I grow mushrooms too, I like the log medium the best as you get bigger harvests than those indoor kits. I put in a morel mushroom patch outside in a corner of my yard. We have a couple of threads going on this somewhere here. I grow shitake, maitkake, brown, blue and pearl oysters, morels, lions's mane etc. Fun stuff to grow.
  12. Thank you @&roid - I will check it out! And by check it out, that means passing it along to Mrs Tac, as she does most of the baking, whilst I handle the cooking.
  13. In Chicago there's a fraternal organization of beer and meat called "Man-B-Que." Being a fan of meat, beer, and Tocqueville's view of American civil society, I joined the organization with much enthusiasm. Unfortunately, I lived an hour outside the city when I lived there, and now live 13 hours from the city. So my time there was brief and fleeting, but I think my ManBQue piece on MSG was pretty good. I took some photos of my own glutamate stores, but they didn't survive the migration to the new website. The formatting is now also a disaster. Oh well... that's creative destruction for you, I guess. Anyway, here's a link: MSG: Meaty Savory Goodness I'll leave it for others to decide if there were any choice quotes. I provide a lot of references, which are sorely lacking in what passes for most "science journalism" these days. I use less MSG now than I used to, as I have many more non-synthetic sources of free glutamic acid in my pantry now. I still add a dash of Accent to my stir fry. It's so necessary!
  14. rotuts

Food funnies

I found this recently somewhere: """ 7-Eleven store Two nuns were shopping at a 7-Eleven store. As they passed by the beer cooler, one nun said to the other, “Wouldn’t a nice cool beer or two taste wonderful on a hot summer evening? The second nun answered, “Indeed it would, sister, but I would not feel comfortable buying beer, since I am certain it would cause a scene at the checkout stand.” “I can handle that without a problem,” the other nun replied, and she picked up a six-pack and headed for the checkout. The cashier had a surprised look on his face when the two nuns arrived with a six-pack of beer. “We use beer for washing our hair,” the nun said. “Back at the convent, we call it ‘Catholic shampoo.’ ” Without blinking an eye, the cashier reached under the counter, pulled out a package of pretzel sticks, and placed them in the bag with the beer. He then looked the nun straight in the eye, smiled, and said: “The curlers are on the house.” "" bit sad I am No dip.
  15. Toliver

Carl's Jr. - 2019 and beyond

"Carl's Jr. Turned Its Western Bacon Cheeseburger into a Seasoning and Put It on French Fries" Uhm...where can I buy this special seasoning/salt? I love their Western Bacon Cheeseburger. I wonder if they could make it with a grilled chicken breast instead of a burger? They do have a BBQ grilled Chicken sandwich which I do order once in a while, but it's not the same as the WBC which is my fav. And I wish they had larger sizes of the fried zucchini sides. I convince myself they're a healthy side to order because zukes are veggies.
  16. teonzo

Adorable Gummies

Brace yourself for incoming doom. Teo
  17. SLB

Adorable Gummies

Thanks!
  18. sbumgarner

Drinks! 2018

A recent experiment that wasn't horrible. 1.5 oz Sotol .5 Mezcal .75 amontillado .5 Giffard banana .25 Bigallet Dash mole bitters Stir, strain, coupe. I like this one. Could maybe use a small pinch of a fruity, moderately hot ground chili pepper on top?
  19. suzilightning

Dinner 2019

@Ann_T, dinner here is inspired by you. Chicken piccata, pasta and sautéed zucchini. John didn't make it home from Poughkeepsie yesterday so he has to eat what I want and I want chicken piccata. On the horizon are bison burgers, pasta and shrimp(for John) and some salads for me.
  20. Several stories on this today. Jamie Oliver restaurant chain collapse costs 1,000 jobs
  21. From my BookBub email: "Ikaria: Lessons on Food, Life, and Longevity from the Greek Island Where People Forget to Die" Kindle Edition $1.99US From the Amazon info page for this cookbook: Part cookbook, part travelogue, Ikaria is an introduction to the food-as-life philosophy of the Greek island "blue zone" and a culinary journey through luscious recipes, gorgeous photography, and captivating stories from locals. Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see a couple of recipes. Also there is a recipe from the cookbook on the Amazon info page. One partially negative review said that because the recipes are from an island, ingredients were limited. I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.
  22. suzilightning

Joe Beef, and getting sober

Read both of these and love, love, love the honesty in them. I have worked in restaurants and know quite a few restaurant professionals who deal with this issue.
  23. Kim Shook

Dinner 2019

Here you go! You should know that I made these ahead of Christmas and these were in the freezer since November. I just thawed and heated in the CSO at 350F. I sliced them in half and added a little bit of butter, but the best way to eat them is to slide a slice of country ham into them.
  24. Kim Shook

Adorable Gummies

The Legos ones were at Dollar Tree.
  1. Load more activity