• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Shelby

Lunch 2024

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!! @Kim Shook
  3. Our local chile, chile peron, is reliably hot but probably not available in your area. It's yellow, sometimes bright red, with black seeds. Those of us in the know make sure to exclude the central veins, which is the hottest part. Another name is chile manzana, apple chile, because that's kinda what it looks like--round and squat. It's popular among thrill seekers to drink mezcal from a hollowed chile peron (seeds and central vein removed) for a real kick. Often it's something that one does only once, unwilling to repeat the experience. For the most part we use serranos because they're reliably hot, but we use chiles peron for guacamole. I've never found poblanos to be mild and/or tasteless. I use them routinely for chiles rellenos or other applications like a poblano-cheese-egg breakfast dish I often make.
  4. I see what you mean; I opted to not put them on Zo bread machine for the same reason. My big KA mixer lives on a rolling cart so I didn't want them on it either.
  5. The dangerous things about antibiotics for farm animals are not that drug is retained in meat we eat. The danger is resistant organisms engendered by the drugs that are in the waste from the farm and pumped into the environment ...and infections in farm workers ...and resistant organisms recoverable from supermarket meat. And remember, the drugs aren't given to treat infection they are growth stimulants (see above).
  6. Today
  7. ...and finally we reach S: 鸵鸟; T: 鴕鳥 (tuó niǎo), Struthio camelus, the largest bird on earth, the ostrich. The bird is a multiple record holder. It can run at 55 kmh / 34 mph) for sustained periods but reach 70 kmh / 40 mph in short sprints. This makes it the fastest land bird on earth. It also lays the largest eggs but not while running! And it lays the smallest eggs when compared to body weight. Native to Africa, they have been introduced in Australia, New Mexico and Israel where they have gone feral. They are also farmed on varying scales across the globe. There are a large number of farms in China, especially in the central-east. Distracting the birds while collecting eggs on a farm Although, in theory, ostrich eggs can be cooked the same way as any other eggs, in practice, they do present their problems, nearly all related to their size. An ostrich egg is usually said to be the equivalent of 24 chicken eggs and weigh around 1.4 kg / 3 lbs. They each contain about 2,000 calories. Ostrich and Chicken eggs The shell is thick and hard (they can bear the weight of a man without breaking) necessitating some mechanical aid in accessing the contents. A drill or kitchen saw is the normal method. Then you need appropriately large pans and kitchen equipment not found in the average kitchen. Boiling an ostrich egg to medium takes an hour; hard boiled need at least 90 minutes. I suppose you could poach one in a bathtub. Or sous vide for a week or so. Omelettes are the way to go if you can find a big enough pan for a 24 egg omelette. Someone has made a scotch ostrich egg, perhaps in a wok from a commercial kitchen. A British chip shop fryer might manage it, but if you don’t have a chip shop, it would be a problem. Ostrich eggs sell for between 100 and 200元 / $14-28 USD a piece. Those at the lower end tend to misshapen although the contents are the same. As with emu eggs, the shells are used as ‘çanvases’ for decorating, so pristine shapes are preferred. Happy Easter to those who celebrate. Easter eggs are not something I can find in China. Yet. (All images in this post from Meituan food delivery app, China)
  8. I love this version of Irish Soda Bread. Mom made it for decades, I've made it for decades and I've shared it many times. Everyone loves it.
  9. Ann_T

Dinner 2024

Last week, the first week in season Thrifty's had it on for $4.99/100gs, but this week it is up to $5.49/100gs. Which is still not bad, considering by the next week or two it will probably be up to 6.99/100gs. We don't have Sobey's here, but I think Thrifty's is owned by the same company. Does your Sobey's have a full seafood and butcher department too, like Thrifty's?
  10. pastameshugana

Lunch 2024

Congratulations!
  11. Continuing up the scale of largeness, next we come to the second largest bird, S: 鸸鹋; T: 鴯鶓 (ér miáo), Dromaius novaehollandiae, the emu. Native to Australia and New Guinea, these reach up to 2 metres / 6 foot 6 inches tall and weigh up to 45 kg / 99 pounds. They are flightless but can run at up to 50 kmh / 31 mph and can also swim when necessary. The females are a little larger than the males and after laying here eggs, she abandons them and her mate. The male then incubates the chicks and stays with them for the next year and a half until they reach independence. The female, in the meantime, goes off in search of new mates and starts over again. Raised on farms for their meat, eggs and oil, emus have been imported to China and farms are now producing limited numbers. I’ve never seen the eggs in any store, large or small, or in any market, but they are available on-line. The eggs weigh around 350 grams and are hard-shelled with a deep bluish green colour. They are said to taste just like good quality free-range chicken eggs and have similar nutritional qualities. The eggs are rroughly equal to between 8 and 12 chicken eggs, so one egg can easily feed a large group or family. They can be prepared in the same ways as chicken eggs, but boiling one will take over an hour! Emu Eggs The problem I have is that they are often sold pre-fertilised for people wishing to farm them or raise them as pets (not a great idea in the city – they need a lot of space and exercise. Also they also come as empty shells. The shells are drilled at the wide end and the contents drained leaving the shells as ‘canvases’ for egg artists who then paint or carve them with all kinds of imagery. Some are beautiful and are found in museums and art galleries. Some are amateurish – as with any art form. A bit of a disappointment though, if what you were after was a nice, but expensive omelette. More on Emu Art here Painted Emu Eggs The eggs sell for around 180 元 / $25 USD each. I can’t see them being a regular purchase for the average home cook. All images from Taobao.com - home shopping service.
  12. Duvel

Dinner 2024

Had another “German food, but light” request from the in-laws. Inquiring minds need to know, so I asked: it seems that the Catalan gastrointestinal system is sometimes overwhelmed with pork products (not entirely sure, how this manifests itself - surely inquiring minds don’t want to know). So, an easy pork-free weekday dinner: Pumpkin-cheese bread rolls with three dips: Obatzda (ripe Camembert with butter, fresh cheese and spices), Heringssalat (pickled herring, red beets, apple, onion, sour cream) and Fleischsalat (smoked vegetarian bologna, cornichons, onion, mayo). Fresh Brezel … Some of which where prepared with herb butter, parsley and chives … Weisswurst (all veal version: some popped during the tempering, but they were great. Mildly spiced with mace, lemon peel and parsley, these actually felt light) … All in all a great success. The lightness of the meal was underlined by me serving only Riesling, (and one Duvel for me) and the lightest of Japanese whiskey in my portfolio as a digestif 😎
  13. C. sapidus

Lunch 2024

Firstly, congratulations! Have you ever tried the lobster rolls at NN Burger in Tappahannock? Best I have had south of Connecticut. 😃
  14. I have two more eggs to go, but before doing so, here is an image of the eggs I've mentioned so far showing relative sizes. I took this some time ago for my granddaughter, at her request, to use in her infant school class. She is the teacher; not a student!
  15. FeChef

Dinner 2024

Damn you. I love this dish. My wife doesn't like this dish. She hates when i make it. But she will drown regular tomato based spaghetti with buttermilk ranch dressing. SMH.
  16. Simple solution…don’t purchase that shit. Tyson chickens taste like crap anyway. Chick whatever is a horrible company. Etc.
  17. While we may not be able to get turkey eggs, when we want a big egg, S: 鹅蛋; T: 鵝蛋 (é dàn) are easily found (many supermarkets have them) and particularly tasty. These are from Anser cygnoides domesticus, the Chinese goose. Unlike turkeys, these geese are native to China. This beautiful white variety are prolific layers producing 60 – 100 eggs per season. They are also sometimes known as ‘swan geese’. About the equivalent of three hen’s eggs (150-200 grams), these eggs are richer and have a larger, more deeply coloured yolk. Geese have to be raised in open pasture, so they are at least semi-free-range and free to peck at insects, worms etc which contributes to their eggs’ tastiness, although they mainly eat grasses. You do have to be careful opening the eggs. The shell is much harder than that of a chicken or duck egg and requires some force to crack, leading to the possibility of breaking the yolk. If you need the yolk whole, go slowly. I’ve never seen them other than fresh and selling at around 10 to 15元 / $ 1.50 to $2 USD each. They aren’t made into century eggs or salted like other eggs, although I can’t see any reason why not. I’m told they are particularly valued for making pasta or Chinese style egg noodles where they impart more flavour than chicken eggs. They can also be used in baking, but I don’t go there. I usually use them for making omelettes. Goose egg omelette Interesting facts corner: Chinese geese have excellent hearing and eyesight (unlike us, they can see ultra-violet light). They are also very territorial and very noisy. This combination makes them great guard dogs geese. When I was a kid, I used to see the geese guarding Ballantine’s Whisky maturation warehouses every time we passed. They were the security guards. Sadly they were made redundant in 2012 and replaced by modern technology. The story is here. Image: Chivas Brothers Archive
  18. Honkman

Dinner 2024

Thai inspired soup with cod, leek, carrots, coconut milk, lemongrass, garlic, ginger, fish sauce and lime juice. Topped with some peanuts, jalapeño and cilantro
  19. Ann_T

Dinner 2024

Braised Lamb Shanks in a wine sauce over mashed potatoes with rutabaga and zucchini.
  20. It just occurred to me that the thing I was thinking of using them on is probably a bad idea. I was thinking that they would be great on my KA mixer. It is SO heavy and it sits far back in the only corner of my counter top. That is really the only place for it and it's a pain to pull out to use. But if it has the sliders on it, I'm betting that it would slide right off the counter when I'm mixing something heavy. It already shimmies a bit. LOL. I think I'd better stick to manhandling it. Thank you!
  21. Kim Shook

Lunch 2024

We went for a short (1 overnight) trip to the Northern Neck (a region in Virginia off the east coast) to celebrate our 42nd wedding anniversary. Stopped in Tappahannock for lunch at the To Do Café. I had the “pick two” with oysters and shrimp: Served with hush puppies, butter beans and excellent onion rings: Mr. Kim had the catfish, hush puppies, and housemade potato chips: Everything was great – we just happened upon it online and picked it because it was close to the museum we went to, and we liked the menu! Mr. Kim was out of town judging a BBQ competition, so I was on my own for Sunday brunch. I gave a nearby, but never yet visited Chinese restaurant a try. I’d heard that they had a Sunday buffet and I love buffets, but Mr. Kim doesn’t so it seemed perfect timing. Well, they don’t have a buffet, but I went ahead and had lunch with mixed results. Spring roll and hot and sour soup: The spring roll was fine – nothing special and the soup was incredibly peppery. Even Mr. Kim thought so when he ate the leftovers. The Mongolian beef: The menu said that this was flank steak fried with spring onions and bamboo shoots. It was easily half assorted mushrooms and lotus root. Really vegetable heavy, but the flavor was good – not overly spicy. The side dish of fried rice was a nice surprise: Nowadays when they ask if you want white or fried rice with your meal, I feel like you’re not really getting fried rice when you choose that option. Even at good places, it always just tastes like unseasoned plain brown rice. This was definitely fried in a wok with seasoning and some vegetables. I don’t imagine I’ll ever go back there with Yen Ching (“our place”) around the corner, but I’m glad I tried it after almost 30 years of living within 2 miles of it! Another lunch was leftovers from a dinner out the night before: Half a Sailor and some hard to find Wise salt and vinegar chips – the best! A Sailor is a Richmond VA sandwich tradition. Knockwurst, pastrami, and Swiss on grilled rye bread. It’s probably available all over the place, but if you Google “Sailor sandwich”, the references are all Richmond. I’m trying really hard to get through a bunch of OLD stuff in the freezer and pantry. So weird meals that other people purchased but aren’t eating. These taquitos were yesterday’s lunch, I guess: They were crunchy 🙄😑.
  22. FeChef

Corn Cob Stock

He comes off as a dweeb, but his Mongolian beef recipe is on point.
  23. FeChef

Corn Cob Stock

I have heard of it, I don't like corn in my chili or soups, but i think corn stock would be a good additive.
  24. Let’s talk S:火鸡; T: 火雞 (huǒ jī). Literally meaning ‘fire chicken’ this is Meleagris gallopavo, the turkey, probably not a bird you associate with China and you’d be right. Between 2001 and 2005, China imported 386,000 tons of turkey from the USA. 386,000 tons of turkey may sound a lot, but works out to just over ¾lb per person over five years - 2½ ounces a year, if my mathematics is correct! If not correct, and it seldom is, it’s still a miniscule amount. Little has changed in the last 25 years. China does raise turkeys but on an extremely limited scale; it just isn’t a bird on people’s radar. They know about turkeys but see them as some sort of grotesque, mammoth lump of meat that they wouldn’t fit in their wok. Most turkeys sold for meat are sold to American and Canadian ex-pats in Shanghai and Beijing for their respective Thanksgiving celebrations. For 15 years, I did have a second home in the countryside next door to a man who was a part-time hobbyist turkey breeder. He sold the meat for pet food and the feathers to the garment industry and theatrical milliners. He didn’t sell eggs. The reason he and most turkey breeders worldwide don’t sell usually sell the eggs is simple economics. They birds are to blame! They reach optimum age for selling as meat before they begin to ovulate and even then only lay one or two eggs a week, if they’re in the mood. The cost of feed etc while waiting for the eggs makes little sense to the farmers as they’d have to sell the eggs for a minimum of around 4元 each, which few would be willing to pay. I can buy a dozen hen’s eggs for the same price while the farmer can make more from hatching the eggs and raising and selling more birds. Turkey eggs PD Image That said, if you do get hold of one they are perfectly edible. About 50% larger than the average (50 gram) chicken egg., they taste much the same but are a bit creamer. Yes, I have eaten one, but not in China.
  25. Kim Shook

Breakfast 2024

@NadyaDuke – I am extremely judgey about hashbrowns and those Hawaiian ones look amazing. March 20th was our 42nd wedding anniversary. We took a little one night trip out to what’s called the Northern Neck of VA. It’s a lovely little area between the Potomac and Rappahannock rivers on the Chesapeake Bay. Tiny, charming riverside towns and villages. Interesting stores, antiquing, and surprisingly good food. We had breakfast on our anniversary at the Kilmarnock Inn where we were staying. These lovely, tender, still-warm little scones were an amuse: I got the eggs Benedict: Probably my all-time favorite breakfast dish. If it is on the menu, I’m almost always going to order it. This was really good. The ham was top quality, the hollandaise the perfect texture and the egg was cooked exactly right: They put it on a biscuit instead of an English muffin, which would have been fine, but the biscuit was a bit tough – like it had spent too long in a steam drawer. Mr. Kim got the scrambled eggs with spinach, bacon, onions, and Swiss cheese: Both breakfasts came with their country style potatoes, which we loved. Went to a great little bakery called Out of the Oven bakery in White Stone and got some goodies, including this pumpernickel loaf: A few meals have featured this including a couple of breakfasts. For this one, I toasted some slices and served it with what was intended to be a cheese omelet: It was a mess, but tasted good. This morning was an orange blossom muffin that I got at Old Farm Truck Market in White Stone last week. It got buried in the breadbasket and I forgot about it. I figured it was stale when I unearthed it this morning, but when I heated it on bake/steam in the CSO, it was fine. Nice crumb and beautifully scented with orange: A little while later – 2nd breakfast: Heavily buttered toast, baked beans, scrambled eggs.
  26. NYT Darina Allen (Ballymaloe) Irish Soda Bread..I substitute 50 g Odlums very coarse wheat flour for 50 g AP. increase buttermilk by probably another quarter cup, because of the extra coarse flour. But…a wet dough makes a better loaf, internal temperature should be 205-210*. I bake in a Corningware Soufflé shaped dish, ( parchment) covered for probably 25 minutes, remove cover, let continue to brown, about 10 more minutes, if browning too much, replace cover. Wrap in a towel immediately and let cool before cutting. Interior temperature is critical or bread “ could” be gummy.
  1. Load more activity