• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Well, it seems I am about to buy a new house and move across town. The kitchen is what sold me on our choice. Here are a few pictures: I expect the small table will go when the current occupants move, so I'll be looking to get a small island for the center. But a big goal will be for all the stuff that lives on top of my counters now to find a new home in a cabinet somewhere.
  3. lemniscate

Trader Joe's Products (2017–)

I opened the cherry tomatoes yesterday. So tender with none of the chewiness, tooth space jamming up of the jarred versions. Think butter soft and sweet sweet sweet.. I ate them on crackers with olives and cheese. That was dinner. I was happy. I am going to buy lots of these tomatoes, I never liked sun dried tomatoes due to the texture previously. Next up are those artichokes.
  4. eugenep

Dinner 2019

wow - that's impressive. thanks for sharing. I see there is an IPA, an American invention I believe, that's +1 for the Americans. I see that it is more refined than the typical can of beer too. Hmmm...I do wonder if European pork retains more fat and flavor than American hogs
  5. lemniscate

Meeting-friendly snacks to bake

For a Game of Thrones viewing party, I wanted to make cookies with a rose jam the hostess had brought back for me from a trip to Poland. I made Split Second Cookies, which to me were an even easier version of thumbprints. I did rose jam and apricot jam versions.
  6. I haven't....yet. I will look into getting some. I do have some Styrian pumpkin seed oil (I forgot I had it until now), I bet that would be good drizzled over the veg.
  7. blue_dolphin

I used some of the semi-dried cherry tomatoes in a quick pasta with broccoli and hot Italian sausage Flavor-wise, they're similar to sun-dried tomatoes packed in olive oil. You can probably tell from the photo that they retain more moisture than regular sun-dried so their texture is less dry and more tender. And since they're little cherry tomatoes, there's no need to chop them up, a nice convenience for me at the moment. I need to make some bruschetta with them next.
  8. Today
  9. BonVivant

Dinner 2019

First meal in Lyon, France. Pork scratchings and Rosette de Lyon, the most famous of all Lyonnaise sausages. A giant pike dumpling served with lobster sauce. Reminds me of Norwegian Fiskeboller/fish balls but then a lot more refined and fancy. Cut open The dish I wanted to order wasn't available yesterday so I got this braised pork shoulder. Came in a perfect disk shape, smelled and tasted stronger than typical pork. (Aesthetically uninteresting before slicing in 2 pieces) Fan of French gastronomy who hasn't met a potato she didn't like, especially cooked in cream. I love cream, butter, and most dairy products!!! I don't have this quality of baguette at home. The texture is like sourdough. People tell me "if I eat like you I'd be fat fat fat". Now I can say "if I eat like Lyonnaise I'd be fat fat fat". Haven't seen a fat French person yet since my arrival last night, and they eat twice as much as I do. Usually full 3 course meals and lots of wine. Menu on a little chalk board brought to your table soon after your arrival. Buchons are traditional restaurants serving traditional (heavy and delicious) home-style food. Dishes listed are all typical Lyonnaise. I was the first to show up, 5 minutes later the place was completely full. I wouldn't be able to make this photo then. Authentic Lyonnaise buchons are always always always full so if you don't have reservation then too bad for you, unless you are very lucky that day. Only authentic certified buchons are bestowed this honour. Exterior of restaurant. It's very small inside. Back at my lodging shortly after. This is Lyon, I expect no less. Chips with black truffle. 0,25% truffle
  10. tschaefges

Wood Fired Pizza Oven

We've had a Forno Bravo Casa oven in our kitchen for about 15 years. It's been great.
  11. I wanted to come to this so badly, but it looks like this year is out. We've got some mental health issues with one of our kids that hasn't been resolved like we'd hoped, and end of the school year means stress will be even higher. It would be a lousy time for me to be gone. Have a ton of fun, folks!
  12. Maison Rustique

I will definitely check out the artichoke hearts and the mango sauce. I could potentially see using the mango on grilled fish, chicken or pork.
  13. TicTac

Cooking plain old chips

You all give me a good laugh! Let's not forget the most egregious oversight....Ontario is but a humble Province in the great Country of CANADA!
  14. dcarch

Dinner 2019

Happy Easter and Passover! Instead of ham (too salty) I made SV rib steak . Instead of matzo balls, I made matzo star of David. With asparagus and radish from my garden. On grilled pineapple slices. dcarch
  15. rotuts

Wine leftovers

Ive never heard of Wine Leftovers. is it a new Chateaux ? a Domaine ?
  16. Owtahear

Dinner 2019

I turned the leftover lamb into a Sichuan style Cumin Lamb. It is completely improvisational, and I through in some veggies cause I felt the need. But it worked out well.
  17. gfweb

Dinner 2019

only $5 difference between ribeye and strip?
  18. chromedome

Cooking plain old chips

That's true as far as it goes, but there's always that pesky gap between theory and reality. I found myself constantly having to make adjustments based on the potatoes I was getting from my supplier. Hypothetically they should have been the same year-round (same supplier, same brand, same cultivar, etc) but that's never the case. Sometimes they were perfect. Sometimes they'd clearly not been out of the farm co-op's cold storage for as long as they should have been, and were still in their sugary "anti-freeze" state (and therefore a quick-browning PITA to deal with). At some point in the year there's the switch from old-crop to new-crop potatoes to dread, as well...that requires similar adjustment. I eventually mastered the necessary tweaks (longer soak, lower the blanching temp) but it was an ongoing battle, and I threw out a lot of fries in the process. The worst part? I also had to keep frozen fries on hand because a solid half of my clientele preferred those. 🙄
  19. Damon

Wine leftovers

Wine Digestif / Apéritif 1 cup of water 3-6 tablespoons of honey 1 cinnamon stick 7-10 pepper granules (red and black) 3-4 leafs of Pelargonium graveolens ~ 1 liter of wine. Boil the water for 5 minutes with cinnamon stick and pepper granules. Add the leafs of Pelargonium and furthered away the cooking pot from heat source. Wait until the water is cool enough to add the honey (max 60°C). Stir it well to make a sirup. Mix the sirup with the wine.
  20. MetsFan5

Dinner 2019

@Shelby can you tell me more about the pea salad?
  21. MetsFan5

Maybe fish tacos? I’m not familiar with the mango sauce.
  22. JoNorvelleWalker

The Bread Topic (2016-)

Curiouser and curiouser. Tonight I cut into the boule. It looked like something @Ann_T might have posted, with the open and pearlescent crumb. I'm thinking my pale crust was due to lack of sugar after the long fermentation necessary to build strength. I still have no idea why this batch of dough failed to mix, and I can't even blame it on rum.
  23. Damon

Chickpea enzyme in bread

Acidently you did a ancient Greek recipe. This recipe comes from Cyprus to Cretan until Thracia. Ingredients Measure Amount Flour 6 cup 660 gr Oil 1 tablespoon 10 gr Chickpeas 1/4 cup 45 gr Wheat 1 tablespoon 5 gr Salt 1 1/2 tablespoon 18 gr Water 2 cup 400 gr http://www.thefreshloaf.com/keyword/chickpea-leaven https://www.cyprushighlights.com/en/2014/08/10/arkatena-omodous/ https://www.thehungrybites.com/chickpea-starter-cretan-traditional-bread-eftazimo/ Add this http://www.sewhistorically.com/chickpea-leavened-bread-without-commercial-yeast/
  24. mgaretz

Dinner 2019

Yet another batch of Blasphemy Ribs. Served with steamed spinach in butter.
  25. This isn't really disposal related... but I just wanted to encourage people to get frying.
  26. JoNorvelleWalker

Ingredients via Internet

I started this thread about sourcing Vacche Rosse from parmashop.it. Oddly tonight amazon was recommending Vacche Rosse for me. Turns out Parmashop now has an amazon storefront for the convenience of those interested in such delicacies.
  27. Though I will put in a plug for Eat Your Books. Not all recipes have made it to the internet.
  1. Load more activity