• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. I can thoroughly enjoy one beer. But I have no desire for a second beer for at least a month. Obviously my brain is not the same as the poster’s brain.
  3. This relates more to the business side of brewing than the tasting side, but here in New Brunswick (where out-migration to other provinces is often driven by lack of jobs) a recent survey by the CBC showed that the province's craft brewers account for more jobs than mainstream brewers like Moosehead and Molson-Coors. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/craft-alcohol-producers-now-employ-nb-workforce-twice-the-size-of-traditional-brewers-1.5353978 When I moved here in 2007, the only local craft brewers (AFAIK) were Pump House in Moncton and Picaroon's in Fredericton. Now there are 70+, with more emerging all the time. Incredibly, Nova Scotia has a still-higher number of craft brewers per capita despite its larger population. It's just not possible to keep up without making it a full-time job (and having another, lucrative full-time job to pay for all the beer) but I try to make sure I taste something new a couple of times each month. My current favorite is an IPA-style rye beer from Trailways, one of the brewers featured in the article. It's called Rype, because it's a "ryePA." It's on the fruity end of the IPA spectrum, but with interestingly spicy undertones from the rye.
  4. Sorry, I did not. I've moved to the other side of town and don't get in as often now that it's not my local beer stop (one of the ANBL outlets on my side of town has six taps for growlers, covering a range of local breweries, so I'm still well served in that respect).
  5. Today
  6. My mom had one of those when I was a kid, and used it a lot for slaws and such. Goodness knows, it might still be in the back of one of her cupboards somewhere.
  7. Possibly my favorite David Lebovitz post ever https://www.davidlebovitz.com/comte-cheese-ripening-and-tasting/
  8. liuzhou

Dinner 2019

Your dad's poultry allergy stops you eating Yorkshire puddings and mashed potato? Sorry, you've lost me there! The post I was responding to references neither poultry or lobsters.
  9. My nearest neighbor actually sells the stuff. Fed Ex and UPS are there delivering her orders all the time. When she first moved in and invited me to a party, I thought maybe it was just a way to meet her new neighbors. Nope, she has a least one party per year at her home and Lord knows how many she puts on elsewhere. My late MIL was a tupperware queen. When I got married she sent me three bowls from a set of six. Told me, since the marriage was sudden she would wait and see how it worked out before sending the rest of the set. She's gone and we're still married and I found the rest of the damn set while cleaning out her house. The first three were long gone so I never did have the complete set at the same time.....
  10. MetsFan5

Dinner 2019

actually I do. My inlaws do the same old traditional Thanksgiving. I’m not a huge fan, because my dad has a poultry allergy so as a kid/ teen we’d both enjoy lobsters. But I think popovers would be a really great addition. Do I need a special baking pan for them? Oven space will be limited despite having two.
  11. The Instant Pot Understands The History Of Women's Labor In The Kitchen by the ever-interesting Bee Wilson. Worth a read.
  12. A promise is a promise but these are perhaps the weirdest loaves I've shared. And as with everything there is a story... I decided to try my bread machine for mixing. It had not seen the light of day for many moons. Not wanting to confuse too many variables I used my usual recipe and mixed to a "shaggy mass" in the KitchenAid. After thirty minutes I transferred the dough to the Zojirushi. After some while the Zojirushi was beginning to develop some gluten strength. But then the machine shut down saying it was hot. And indeed the dough batter was hot. Apparently Zojirushi activates the heating element even when preheat and bake are turned off. Ritual suicide is too good for the designer. Only thing keeping me from hauling the whole mess to the dumpster was the light in the parking lot burned out. I ran the hot sticky dough several times though my PolyScience 300 to cool it down. Then in an attempt to dirty every appliance in the kitchen, and some not in the kitchen, I removed the dough to the Precise Heat Mixing Bowl -- not to heat the dough but to mix it in the baby bowl with the teeny tiny dough hook. Indeed in the small bowl the dough hook achieved some purchase that I can't get with the 8 quart KitchenAid. I then carried on as normal with folds and resting. The resulting baguette was not a pretty sight but it was quite tasty. Have not yet cut into the boule.
  13. liuzhou

Lunch 2019

No. The Yiddish has no 't' either. The OED lists three alternative spellings for English - schmaltz, shmaltz and schmalz.
  14. liuzhou

Dinner 2019

You need an excuse?
  15. Another place to get both real teas and flower or other teas, which I prefer to call tisanes, are these outlets. This one is very near my home, but I've never bought anything, despite its obvious popularity. It is called 瑶山凉茶 (yáo shān liáng chá) which literally means 'Jade Mountain Cold Tea'. This does not mean it is iced teas; just room temperature. Her selection includes some real tea, but most are tisanes. Her shop is at the entrance to the local market, a busy place, so she does just fine, I guess. She stays open from early morning, well into the evening.
  16. It's amazing how much dissension there can be over holiday traditions. Food seems to be one of the most contentious, as in "These people put corn bread/oysters/sausage/kale/green chile in their stuffing!" We've all heard it before. The point of sharing meals is sharing traditions that might not be what we're used to, in the hopes that someone else's favorite might taste pretty good to us if we give it a chance. Unfortunately it's the "give it a chance" part that turns out to be the problem. I think your compromise, taking Thanksgiving to your mom at the nursing home, will be very satisfying. Wish her a happy Thanksgiving from us. Nancy in Pátzcuaro
  17. Not @rotuts, but here's Mr. Kim's method. I started The Gravy today. Turkey necks, onion, celery, carrots, Bell's seasoning, salt, pepper, olive oil, and tomato paste ready to roast: Roasted: Lots of good fond brought up with some white wine: I made the stock in the IP instead of the slow cooker like I usually do. It took 90 minutes of pressure cook and 15 minutes natural release, instead of all night. Looks, smells, and tastes wonderful: It's all in the fridge now. I'm hoping to make the actual gravy tomorrow. I'm not really sure when this will get used. We often have our "holiday dinner" in January. We will invite parents and various strays who aren't too tired of turkey. My MIL has made it pretty clear that Jessica and I won't be contributing to Thanksgiving. She told Jessica that "her family" likes very traditional food. I admit this makes me feel weirdly left out. And honestly pissed on my daughter's behalf. Her cousins grew up being schooled in pie-making by this grandmother, so they will have their "traditional" sleep over at grandma's Thanksgiving Eve to make pies. I know full well I should get over it after all this time. I'll try again this year. 🤐😉 It actually might get used this Thanksgiving. My MIL is probably going to have dinner at 5pm. I will go to the nursing home at 2pm with a Thanksgiving dinner for my mom and me that will look for all the world like I made it. 😁 I have found a place that does a really nice Thanksgiving dinner plate with all of Momma's favorites. A nice dollop of my gravy should help.😉
  18. Cut it in half and start with 350 for 8 min on bake steam. May need more time and a flip.
  19. How would you reheat this behemoth of a popover/Yorkie? Not sure what they called it - Jessica brought it home from Salem MA. It is sitting on a half paper towel.
  20. Kim Shook

Dinner 2019

One of the men that Mr. Kim plays poker with once a month had a birthday last Friday. They decided to make poker into a dinner and poker celebration with everyone bringing something. We provided a baked potato bar. I used chuck-eye steak for the steak and cheese topping: Salted and ready for the refrigerator: They stayed in the fridge overnight and were rinsed and dried on Friday. I seared them in a cast iron skillet set on HIGH: They got a nice crust: but were basically raw: Cut up and steamed on 210F in the CSO until as done as I wanted: Inside each of those little cubes, the meat is medium-rare to medium. I’m so thrilled I found this method. I made cheese sauce based on a James Briscione recipe: Steak and cheese potato: I also used the cheese sauce to do a broccoli sauce: We also provided sour cream, butter, bacon, and chives. Mr. Kim said they loved it all and the birthday boy was very happy about the menu. Dinner Sunday night started with salad with Momofuku ranch dressing: And leftover baked potatoes with steak and cheese sauce. Dinner tonight started with tomatoes, carrots, and radishes with Momofuku ranch: Cornbread: Pinto bean soup with ham: This is from the IP pintos I made last week. I saved the extra cooking liquid and put them together tonight. So good.
  21. Smithy

Lunch 2019

What a bittersweet time, @Kim Shook. I'm glad there are plenty of happy memories for you, and that you could indulge in some nostalgia at some favorite restaurants.
  22. heidih

Lunch 2019

cuz bread is the staff of life
  23. My cabinetmaler when I was building a new kitchen said "so here is where tupperware can go" - I bent over laughing cuz I had none!
  24. Kim Shook

Lunch 2019

Went for one last visit to my grandparent's house before it goes up for auction in December. Lot's of good memories and a bit of sadness, too. One last Short Sugar’s BBQ for a long time: Sunday brunch at Mr. Kim's favorite Greek/Italian place. Their great bread: Why do Greek restaurants always have such great bread. Even when the restaurants aren't all that great, the bread usually is! Salad: Baked spaghetti w/ meatballs: Mr. Kim got the same baked spaghetti, except with all the meats. I ate about a third. Had another third for lunch today. I'll probably finish tomorrow. 😁
  25. Resurrecting yet another thread to show some stuff I found at my grandmother's house. I didn't keep them. They are all brand new - never used. My Grandma Jean couldn’t any more go to a direct sales party hosted by one of her friends and not buy something than she could have gone to church in her nightgown. So, we found a few weird, unused pieces. A canned ham holder: It was HUGE. For those really big canned hams: LOL. I don’t remember her ever serving a canned ham. An absolutely useless looking shredding/slicing/grating/storing piece: The top flipped over to offer other options. I can’t imagine that it would have stayed sharp very long. The last was a container to make/store a fancy looking congealed salad in: She never used anything but a Pyrex baking dish to make her congealed salads in.
  26. Margaret Pilgrim

Dinner 2019

I am reminded of the first meal I cooked for my husband returning from our honeymoon. A small beef roast, popovers, apple pie. Of course, I neglected to test the oven of our new apartment, so we had VERY RARE roast and blond apple pie, but by then I had jacked up the oven temp so the Yorkshires/popovers rose to their peaks, to the heights of the oven, and were decapitated as I pulled them from the oven. I had a lot to learn....
  27. Ann_T

Dinner 2019

I want this. Roasted a small Sterling Silver top sirloin roast. An excuse to make mashed potatoes and Yorkshire pudding.
  1. Load more activity