• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. It just occurred to me that the thing I was thinking of using them on is probably a bad idea. I was thinking that they would be great on my KA mixer. It is SO heavy and it sits far back in the only corner of my counter top. That is really the only place for it and it's a pain to pull out to use. But if it has the sliders on it, I'm betting that it would slide right off the counter when I'm mixing something heavy. It already shimmies a bit. LOL. I think I'd better stick to manhandling it. Thank you!
  3. Kim Shook

Lunch 2024

We went for a short (1 overnight) trip to the Northern Neck (a region in Virginia off the east coast) to celebrate our 42nd wedding anniversary. Stopped in Tappahannock for lunch at the To Do Café. I had the “pick two” with oysters and shrimp: Served with hush puppies, butter beans and excellent onion rings: Mr. Kim had the catfish, hush puppies, and housemade potato chips: Everything was great – we just happened upon it online and picked it because it was close to the museum we went to, and we liked the menu! Mr. Kim was out of town judging a BBQ competition, so I was on my own for Sunday brunch. I gave a nearby, but never yet visited Chinese restaurant a try. I’d heard that they had a Sunday buffet and I love buffets, but Mr. Kim doesn’t so it seemed perfect timing. Well, they don’t have a buffet, but I went ahead and had lunch with mixed results. Spring roll and hot and sour soup: The spring roll was fine – nothing special and the soup was incredibly peppery. Even Mr. Kim thought so when he ate the leftovers. The Mongolian beef: The menu said that this was flank steak fried with spring onions and bamboo shoots. It was easily half assorted mushrooms and lotus root. Really vegetable heavy, but the flavor was good – not overly spicy. The side dish of fried rice was a nice surprise: Nowadays when they ask if you want white or fried rice with your meal, I feel like you’re not really getting fried rice when you choose that option. Even at good places, it always just tastes like unseasoned plain brown rice. This was definitely fried in a wok with seasoning and some vegetables. I don’t imagine I’ll ever go back there with Yen Ching (“our place”) around the corner, but I’m glad I tried it after almost 30 years of living within 2 miles of it! Another lunch was leftovers from a dinner out the night before: Half a Sailor and some hard to find Wise salt and vinegar chips – the best! A Sailor is a Richmond VA sandwich tradition. Knockwurst, pastrami, and Swiss on grilled rye bread. It’s probably available all over the place, but if you Google “Sailor sandwich”, the references are all Richmond. I’m trying really hard to get through a bunch of OLD stuff in the freezer and pantry. So weird meals that other people purchased but aren’t eating. These taquitos were yesterday’s lunch, I guess: They were crunchy 🙄😑.
  4. FeChef

Corn Cob Stock

He comes off as a dweeb, but his Mongolian beef recipe is on point.
  5. FeChef

Corn Cob Stock

I have heard of it, I don't like corn in my chili or soups, but i think corn stock would be a good additive.
  6. Let’s talk S:火鸡; T: 火雞 (huǒ jī). Literally meaning ‘fire chicken’ this is Meleagris gallopavo, the turkey, probably not a bird you associate with China and you’d be right. Between 2001 and 2005, China imported 386,000 tons of turkey from the USA. 386,000 tons of turkey may sound a lot, but works out to just over ¾lb per person over five years - 2½ ounces a year, if my mathematics is correct! If not correct, and it seldom is, it’s still a miniscule amount. Little has changed in the last 25 years. China does raise turkeys but on an extremely limited scale; it just isn’t a bird on people’s radar. They know about turkeys but see them as some sort of grotesque, mammoth lump of meat that they wouldn’t fit in their wok. Most turkeys sold for meat are sold to American and Canadian ex-pats in Shanghai and Beijing for their respective Thanksgiving celebrations. For 15 years, I did have a second home in the countryside next door to a man who was a part-time hobbyist turkey breeder. He sold the meat for pet food and the feathers to the garment industry and theatrical milliners. He didn’t sell eggs. The reason he and most turkey breeders worldwide don’t sell usually sell the eggs is simple economics. They birds are to blame! They reach optimum age for selling as meat before they begin to ovulate and even then only lay one or two eggs a week, if they’re in the mood. The cost of feed etc while waiting for the eggs makes little sense to the farmers as they’d have to sell the eggs for a minimum of around 4元 each, which few would be willing to pay. I can buy a dozen hen’s eggs for the same price while the farmer can make more from hatching the eggs and raising and selling more birds. Turkey eggs PD Image That said, if you do get hold of one they are perfectly edible. About 50% larger than the average (50 gram) chicken egg., they taste much the same but are a bit creamer. Yes, I have eaten one, but not in China.
  7. Kim Shook

Breakfast 2024

@NadyaDuke – I am extremely judgey about hashbrowns and those Hawaiian ones look amazing. March 20th was our 42nd wedding anniversary. We took a little one night trip out to what’s called the Northern Neck of VA. It’s a lovely little area between the Potomac and Rappahannock rivers on the Chesapeake Bay. Tiny, charming riverside towns and villages. Interesting stores, antiquing, and surprisingly good food. We had breakfast on our anniversary at the Kilmarnock Inn where we were staying. These lovely, tender, still-warm little scones were an amuse: I got the eggs Benedict: Probably my all-time favorite breakfast dish. If it is on the menu, I’m almost always going to order it. This was really good. The ham was top quality, the hollandaise the perfect texture and the egg was cooked exactly right: They put it on a biscuit instead of an English muffin, which would have been fine, but the biscuit was a bit tough – like it had spent too long in a steam drawer. Mr. Kim got the scrambled eggs with spinach, bacon, onions, and Swiss cheese: Both breakfasts came with their country style potatoes, which we loved. Went to a great little bakery called Out of the Oven bakery in White Stone and got some goodies, including this pumpernickel loaf: A few meals have featured this including a couple of breakfasts. For this one, I toasted some slices and served it with what was intended to be a cheese omelet: It was a mess, but tasted good. This morning was an orange blossom muffin that I got at Old Farm Truck Market in White Stone last week. It got buried in the breadbasket and I forgot about it. I figured it was stale when I unearthed it this morning, but when I heated it on bake/steam in the CSO, it was fine. Nice crumb and beautifully scented with orange: A little while later – 2nd breakfast: Heavily buttered toast, baked beans, scrambled eggs.
  8. NYT Darina Allen (Ballymaloe) Irish Soda Bread..I substitute 50 g Odlums very coarse wheat flour for 50 g AP. increase buttermilk by probably another quarter cup, because of the extra coarse flour. But…a wet dough makes a better loaf, internal temperature should be 205-210*. I bake in a Corningware Soufflé shaped dish, ( parchment) covered for probably 25 minutes, remove cover, let continue to brown, about 10 more minutes, if browning too much, replace cover. Wrap in a towel immediately and let cool before cutting. Interior temperature is critical or bread “ could” be gummy.
  9. Today
  10. Shel_B

Corn Cob Stock

Great to know. I got the inspiration to use corn stock from Jason Farmer who used the Instant Pot.
  11. Shel_B

Corn Cob Stock

@Katie Meadow, thanks for the tip. I hadn't even thought about looking for corn this time of year. I'll check BB when next I'm over there.
  12. Yesterday
  13. @Dave W well put . something else is going on . be interesting to see what exactly NAIHM allows.
  14. Can you really spot treat animals for illness at this volume? they’re pure commodities. Sick bird is trash bird, sadly.
  15. mgaretz

Dinner 2024

Pizza with mushrooms, salami and baby arugula. Her half with cheddar, mine with moz.
  16. these items are a fine idea. newer iPots have a cord that unplugs from the unit . wonder why iPot ( or others ) didn't do that some time ago. my AF plug does not unplug from the unit. odd.
  17. One of my trainees gave me these today at the end of her 6 month rotation in General Practice.
  18. I only have my CSO and Kitchen Aid mixer on the counter so I didn't need the sliders*. All my other "countertop" appliances live in cabinets and I sometimes manage to inadvertently lasso one appliance with the cord of the one I'm pulling one out to use so I ordered the little adhesive cord organizers (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) that you mentioned. I put them on my coffee grinder, food processor, immersion blender, Philips indoor grill and Paragon induction burner. The grill has a very wide, flat cord that doesn't quite slip under the loop to fasten it at the end but, other than that, they're all working quite nicely. I use the coffee grinder every day and thought it might be annoying to have to unwind and rewind the cord each time but it's not a problem and worth the effort to avoid having the cord drag the citrus juicer out of the cabinet and on to the floor and they're much easier than zip ties, twisties or Velcro straps. I think I'll put the last one on the Instant Pot. Thanks for the tip! * Edited to add that I am the cleaning woman and I'm not all that thorough 🙃
  19. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. Finally today I started adding these to some of my countertop appliances. I was worried at first because most of them already had some kind of buttons on the bottom to prevent slipping. However, so far I've not had and problems applying them. The ones I've done slide beautifully and they're super easy to apply. I have about four more to go but I give them a big thumbs up.
  20. Kerala

Breakfast 2024

Prosciutto cotto and gorgonzola grilled on toast. A nice supermarket tomato, olive oil, grey sea salt. Very satisfying.
  21. Flipped through it. I think it’s pretty good, a lot of Indian and Asian fusion going on that I hope to try out. If you need a pasta book, you could do a lot worse.
  22. blue_dolphin

Lunch 2024

Spicy Cauliflower Ragu with Lemony Breadcrumbs from The Cook You Want to Be by Andy Baraghani: I thought this was OK, not great. The cauliflower gets blitzed in the food processor and, in the header notes, he describes the smaller pieces as becoming "velvety" like long-cooked meat in a ragu. Perhaps I should have cooked it longer but they were just cauliflower particles, not velvet. Good flavor from onion, garlic tomato paste and lots of anchovies. Using the tangy, crunchy breadcrumbs instead of cheese is a nice touch.
  23. once you've got a batch of stuff full of loverly bacteria, re-heating is not likely to do it - sterilization, ~270'F for 10-15 minutes after the coldest part of the batch has reached temperature, might do it.
  24. As much as I love JP, that bread gives a bad name to soda bread😂. I realize he used milk and baking powder rather than baking soda and buttermilk, but soda bread should look like this. I also used a pound of flour as he mentions, but 50g. are very coarse Odlums wheat flour. I bake covered in a deep Corningware bowl. I happened to make this in the morning to finish off the rest of the gravlax.
  25. Really old thread, but I was looking through the Southeast section. The Choo Choo has been remodeled recently, and it's still in progress. It's been taken over by a hotel and the boxcars are all being redone. It's looking really nice. But, the prices are going along with it. We stayed at the hotel while it was being worked on. A music venue called the Signal moved in and its a nice place for concerts. They have added some good restaurants. Nic & Norman's and Stir are two that have nice brunches on Sunday with $2 double Champagne and Mimosa's. That area has changed quite a bit. Really good places to eat, nice coffee shops, Chattanooga Distillery is across the street. And a great bakery (Neidlov's) and Italian restaurant (Alleia) are right behind it. I wish they would spiff up the Choo Choo sign though. It still looks pretty ragged.
  26. My instinct says maybe the oil (and other ingredients) degrade with repeated re-frying and maybe it won't taste as good?
  1. Load more activity