• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. I didn't say you said anything about global warming or rainforests. I merely said that one food choice can have effects beyond the immediate. Whether or not you buy shrimp, is irrelevant; I only gave that as an example. My choices? I always buy live, wild shrimp caught locally (in south-east Asia where I live!) I nearly always eat the smaller shrimp/prawns because they are what I can get most easily live and from known sources, but also because they taste better. Most of the "beef" I buy is actually water buffalo and I buy very little of that. I don't eat avocados for the very reasons given in the article - deforestation and water diversion. Like you, I don't eat endangered species, but am aware that my food choices, even involving non-endangered species, have indirect consequences. I never eat what are usually called processed foods (although all foods are processed), so any palm oil consumption is low to negligible. I don't eat chocolate, because I don't particularly like it. My only real point is that this is a very complicated issue.
  3. Today
  4. Oops forgot to link my local ginormous avocado tree I had it in my 2011 eG food blog
  5. My doctor told me not to eat shrimp. So I don't buy it. When I used to purchase shrimp I did not source it from South East Asia. Similarly I do not knowingly buy chocolate from West Africa. Last I read Nestle has pledged to cease selling slave produced chocolate by 2020. Beef, lamb, chickens, and pork I eat. I eschew veal. I did not say anything about global warming or destruction of the rainforest. I prefer to avoid palm oil but I am not obsessive about it. Not in the same category for me as, say, child slavery. I stated my choices, what are yours?
  6. I am done with cattle and milk. The gas emissions are astounding. Avacadoes I buy if purchased from a farmer I know or a neighbor gift.(California - we do this) Octi do trouble me a bit but I do enjy the taste/texture.Prawns are troubling. I will only do wild and if budget allows Santa Barbara spots. The cod thing is a long standing documented issue. I think @Shelby farms soy - perhaps she can weigh in. Almonds are a huge issue in Caifornia - not pretty water-wise. Thoughtful shopping is the best we can do. https://oceana.ca/en/blog/fishing-cod-brink-extinction-what-lessons-can-we-learn https://newrepublic.com/article/125450/heres-real-problem-almonds
  7. Well, cattle are not an endangered species, but the amount being raised and the space that takes up involves deforestation etc could be endangering other lifeforms - including us! By the way when you buy shrimp, for example, how do you know that slave labor wasn't involved it getting it to you. I've never seen a product in any supermarket labelled "Processed by Slaves". Doesn't mean the product hasn't been. The problem is not simple as you seem to paint it.
  8. If it tastes good, not raised in unnecessary cruelty or by slave labor, not an endangered species, and not one of my 23andMe matches, I'll eat it.
  9. To eat or not to eat: 10 of the world's most controversial foods Guardian article. Although the focus is mainly on the UK, the issues raised are global. There are a few foods I'd add, but that is another story. Thoughts?
  10. Porthos

Food recalls

BrucePac, a Silverton, Ore. establishment, is recalling approximately 55,550 pounds of ready-to-eat (RTE) chicken sausage products due to misbranding. Contains pork Sausage Casings. Institutional product. USDA News Release here.
  11. CatIsHungry

kamaboku

For us, it was not a special occasion dish - we didn’t have it every day, but we had it often enough in a variety of ways ... any way we had it was my favorite 😁 😂
  12. In the US our ducks are generally American Pekin - derived from a breed brought from China in the 19th century. Big relatively mild tasting birds. I am not conversnt on the goose breeds. We had geese down the road. They would cross and stop in the middle of the road. Getting out of car to shoo them away was not a safe option. My sisterwas nipped in the calf too many times. My avatar dog. just turmed tail and hid.
  13. I enjoy it. There are days when people become annoying. My best, as mentioned above. was alone but in a tight seating arrangement. I ended up sharng with the tipsy couple adjacent. They were wine brokers and had been to a baker's dozen tasting. In quite a good mood. They ordered a ton of food and shared as did I. At Cochon in New Orleans. https://cochonrestaurant.com/
  14. Thanks. Yes, I've been to Yung Kee, too. Also, good.
  15. heidih

kamaboku

I do not like pink anything but this was the highlight for me of their annual Christmas party for me. It seemed so exotic and yet accessible.
  16. That just speaks to how enticing the food was Vietnamese is my comfort zone.
  17. I clearly remember my first gai lan maybe 27 years ago at yum cha (dim sum) in Sydney. Oyster sauce I think. It was amazing. Remains a favorite
  18. I hadn't heard of Yat Lok. We went to Yung Kee based on @hzrt8w's recommendation here: He was really helpful in planning our trip at that time. Love the gratuitous goose shot btw...
  19. I can't do more than 2 joints at lunch or I'm useless 😂
  20. tonyrocks922

Dinner 2019

Spaghetti Carbonara and Seafood Linguine from Piatto in Utrecht, NL
  21. tonyrocks922

Dinner 2019

Been lurking this thread catching up for a while. Some more notable dinners from the last few months: Prime rib from Prime and Provisions in Chicago Lamb shank with orzo from Ouzo Bay in Baltimore Snow crab legs boil and lobster boil from a restaurant I don't recall in Disney Springs, Florida. Duo of tartars from a random cafe in Bordeaux Dried sausage from Chez le Pépère in Bordeaux Cheese plate from L'After Work Beer Bar in Bordeaux
  22. Oh damn, I thought I had: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01IIAI9DI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00JJH1FL8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I'm sure they can be sourced worldwide, and maybe this one as well: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00VTDYTR2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Philip
  23. tonyrocks922

Dinner 2019

Pan fried chicken breast with spicy BBQ sauce, mashed potatoes, steamed asparagus.
  24. Joints? Maybe it's not what I'm thinking?
  25. I think a lot of the recipes have suffered over the years through various upgrades so probably one of them impacted your recipe. It would still be great if you edited it for those who might go looking for it. One day perhaps, when all the moons are aligned, even I might give it a try. I’ve always been quite intrigued by the idea and the name of this salad dressing.
  26. is it possible that with upgrades measurements have been lost? will find my original PRINT formula and edit it in the next few days.
  27. I adore dining out alone! I am almost never without a book and sitting enjoying a meal and reading is my idea of heaven. Since I quit smoking 9 weeks ago, I am missing the end of meal light up as soon as I leave the restaurant, but I'm getting used to it. Most of my lunches out are guilty pleasures (buffets, meat and 3 joints, etc.), but I'll be happy to play!
  1. Load more activity