• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. JoNorvelleWalker

Dinner 2019

Some may recall I was searching for a recipe for tenderloin: Dorie Greenspan, Around My French Table, Fresh Orange Pork Tenderloin. Tenderloin is browned in butter and grapeseed oil, then braised with black cardamom, orange juice, orange segments, orange zest, and shallots*. Will make again. Soon. Gave me an excuse to employ one of my battery of copper pans. Sadly black cardamom does not agree with me. A seed went in my shoe and caused me untold pain. *Greenspan calls for onions. Trust me, use shallots.
  3. jmacnaughtan

Writing in chocolate

I've always found it much easier using a very small paper cone - no more than about 10-15cm long. It makes it more like writing with a pen. Also, you can put the tip directly onto the surface and write like a pen, too.
  4. sartoric

Tasting Japan

From Tokyo we bulleted to Kanazawa for more delicious food, sake and sights. The Nihishi fish market has much more than fish, one could almost live there. Two little stools to sit and enjoy your fresh seafood. Not inexpensive. Bamboo shoots and forest vegetables were in season. A walk through sashimi bar where you pay first, then eat standing, moving along as necessary. We had salmon sashimi and a giant oyster. Shrimp, salmon roe, pickled fish and others, oh my. The market was surrounded by restaurants, a basement brimming with food options and a feeling of safety not common in other Asian countries. We returned here several times in our 3 day stay. It was crowded at times.
  5. Ann_T

The Bread Topic (2016-)

Today's bake. Fed my starter this morning and decided I wanted to bake today. rather than make a biga and wait for it to double, I just added 80g of the discard into a batch of dough along with 3g of yeast. Starter doubled in less than seven hours and it is back in the fridge. I've been trying to remember to feed it once a week. Baked four batards and four small bun size rounds. Started each loaf off in the CSO using the bread steam setting. After 10 to 12 minutes moved the loaf to the Oster to finish baking. This method allows me to bake a number of loaves with the benefit of the steam, in a short period of time.
  6. JoNorvelleWalker

Dinner 2019

I got married in 1970. Lot of good it did me. But I kept most of the cookbooks.
  7. Ann_T

Dinner 2019

@Okanagancook, We got married in 1979. Will be married 40 years come August 25th. But we were together 6 years before we married.
  8. paulraphael

Best chicken?

I just wrote to Bo Bo to ask for a list of retailers. I used to get them from my old butcher on the lower east side but he's long gone. My understanding is that the birds they call "white plume" are conventional chickens that are just raised well. The black plume ones are the heritage hybrids and are completely different. They call the breed "barred-silver cross," if I remember correctly. No idea what that means. I'd love to try a poulet rouge birds. Does anyone have a source in NYC? And a price?
  9. liuzhou

Breakfast 2019

Well-done "Viennese" sausage (made in China) with poached egg (laid in China) on toast. The egg was just past prime poaching freshness, hence the visual peculiarity, but it tasted fine.
  10. heidih

Joe Beef, and getting sober

Yup In a similar vein Michael Solomonov of Zahav (James Beard "America's Most Outstanding Restaurant 2019") in a Roads & Kingdoms interview https://roadsandkingdoms.com/2019/making-hummus-winning-awards-michael-solomonov/
  11. Okanagancook

Dinner 2019

I just hope Moe does the dishes.😍 46 years, so 1973? We are 1974, may 24 Friends here in the Okanagan are 1974....married "between apples and pear picking"...former tree fruit farms.....= August Not many of us folks around Your chicken looks yummy as usual with the nice vermicelli Tonight with brother "Kootnaycook" I am smoking some Costco Pork ribs in the Bradley....I don't use this machine much and want to get more familiar with it. I will post later. But right now we are enjoying a fabulous Chardonnay, Attack, from Checkmate Winery down near Oliver, BC. Not cheap but stunning,,,,,,and delaying dinner, i might add.
  12. Duvel

Breakfast 2019

Soylent Green ... tastes a bit like beans, though.
  13. @gfron1 Maybe you mentioned this earlier but my mind leapt to you when I saw this blurb about Sean Brock: " In late 2019/early 2020, he will open a two-story restaurant in East Nashville, Tennessee centered around Appalachian cuisine. "
  14. Good article in the New Yorker.
  15. Ann_T

Dinner 2019

@JoNorvelleWalker, we worked that out 46 years ago. He is just happy to have a salad whenever I want to make him one. Tonight's dinner. I asked Moe earlier today what he would like for dinner and the answer was Chicken Piccata. So that is what we had. With a side of pasta Aglio E Olio. I always make it with green peppercorns because I don't like capers.
  16. The hubby is already into the caramel corn.
  17. I have one of these. I bought it, according to Amazon, on September 27, 2007. It still works fine, and is accurate. The display has gotten hard to read, there's some thing in between layers of hte display. I also have a little scale by american weigh scales. 1Kg by 0.1 g. It sucks. switch doesn't work right, the tare switch sticks, and it's generally chinese crap. Amusingly, for a while after I I bought it, Amazon was convinced I needed very small zip lock bags.
  18. robirdstx

Dinner 2019

Spicy Pork Tenderloin and Vegetable Stir Fry
  19. I think finding the antique machines might be the hardest part. This guy has several and makes nice videos. I suppose the key is cooling the candy just the right amount.
  20. jimb0

The Bread Topic (2016-)

I wonder, if the glutathione is denatured by simple heat, whether one might also quick toast the instant milk powder to achieve the same or similar results.
  21. JoNorvelleWalker

Gardening: (2016– )

First strawberry.
  22. One from my BookBub email today: Sort of in the vein of Taste of Home... "Fix-It and Enjoy-It: All-Purpose, Welcome-Home Recipes" Kindle Edition $1.99US No list of recipes, but use the "Look Inside" features to see some recipes from the cookbook. Also the Amazon info page for this book has 6 recipes from the cookbook. I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary. Edited to add another cookbook: "The New Persian Kitchen" Kindle Edition $2.99US Sort of Kindle Single-ish with only 75 recipes. There are two recipes from the cookbook on the Amazon info page for this cookbook.
  23. JeanneCake

flavored cocoa butter colors

See if AUI will give you a sample of one. My rep has been generous with samples when I've asked so if you strike with yours, I can ask mine.....
  24. Yesterday
  25. pastrygirl

flavored cocoa butter colors

I don't know. It would have to be pretty intense to get flavor from a thin layer of decoration. On one hand, freeze dried fruit can pack a punch, on the other, they can't be adding so much that the product is too thick. They're selling it as cocoa butter, not couverture so I'd expect it to be very fluid. The PCB Creations site also shows it mixed with I'm guessing white chocolate in various dosages. Here is their brochure https://www.calameo.com/books/005802807fd1cdaab6c9b
  26. Darienne

Meeting-friendly snacks to bake

Our local bulk food store, The Main Ingredient, carries ginger bits and I quite like them. I could ask about their provenance if you like. And where Ken, the store owner, gets them.
  27. I love ginger snaps. I just got my last order of ginger bits from Penzey's via my niece in Syracuse. Last because she and her husband are moving back to Canada in June and I doubt I will pay the shipping charges to get more. Anyone know of a good Canadian source for the bits?
  1. Load more activity