• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. gfweb

funnel dispenser

Use it as a mold.
  3. gfweb

Dinner 2019

@Shelby https://www.amazon.com/BIA-Cordon-Bleu-Porcelain-Plate/dp/B00004S4WA/ref=sr_1_16?keywords=deviled+egg+plate&qid=1555951373&s=gateway&sr=8-16 Price seems high. I bet t hey upped it for Easter.
  4. gfweb

Cooking plain old chips

Medium to high depending on the volume of oil. The thing can go quickly.
  5. BeeZee

Lunch 2019

Leftovers from Saturday's dinner (not so sad desk lunch) - saffron quinoa pilaf, sliced chicken breast, thai carrot salad.
  6. Today
  7. Try looking at the pre-existing topics on this very subject before starting another! There was one started just yesterday!
  8. ElsieD

Cooking plain old chips

What heat setting do you use?
  9. ElsieD

Ice Cream!

I have made this recipe too. It is really good.
  10. Three pages and no hot cross buns?!? 😲 I made a couple of batches this year. The first, from Lyle's, seem to garner plenty of Insta-hype so I thought I'd give them a try. They were fine, without rocking my world... So I made Thomas Keller's, which uses quite an enriched dough... I should have proofed them closer together for a bit more height and less spread. Oops. Bizarrely, he doesn't spice the dough, so I rectified that error (sorry Mr Keller). He's also a bit stingy with the dried fruit, so more of that went in plus some stem ginger (candied ginger)... And I don't usually bother with the icing, but decided to dress one for the good folks at eGullet. 😀 Happy Easter.
  11. Well recently I tried making some chips by a method which Heston Blumenthal follows or he came up with, I am unaware of that, but it's the process that he shared in his cooking series called " How To Cook Like Heston ". I felt to talk about it because the output was so good. He recommends following steps: - As we all know we start by peeling and cutting the potatoes into long batons, common stuff. - Then he suggests to sort of par boil the potatoes, starting up with cold water, cooking them till they are still raw in the middle but the outer layer is cooked. - Strain them after around 20 minutes, make some tiny holes on them with a pin or something that tiny and freeze them. - Freeze it for an hour. - You keep the oil on a low flame, and fry them. Take them out and now you increase the flame to high and fry them again. These steps give a really crispy from the outside and soft on the inside chips, just the way I like it. Throw some salt and pepper, fry some fish and enjoy ! I would like to know other methods that you all might have experimented or tried. But till now this was the best method I came across. Cheers to Chef for sharing !!
  12. DJ Silverchild

Question on Using Guitar Cutter - Chablon

I had the same problem cutting through Valrhona Gianduja actually. There's a whole thread about my disaster. I ended up just molding it.
  13. Shelby

Dinner 2019

I NEED one of these egg plates. Do you remember where it's from? Have I asked you this before? I unearthed some tuna steaks during the great freezer clean out...a bit past their prime, but decent enough with a little sauce made from jalapeño, soy, lime, ginger, a pinch of sugar and a bit of oil. Sweet and sour tofu and egg rolls to go with. Ronnie found a 4 lb prime rib for a decent price, so that was Easter dinner last night. Done in the CSO at 200F until it hit 125F in the center (about 2 hours). Then rested for about 30 mins and after that put in on broil at 500F for 10 minutes. See? I need an egg plate. Pickled stuff Pea salad Wish I'd had some asparagus from the garden, but not enough yet. So, lettuce salad had to suffice. Annnnnnnd this is why I'm not a baker. I wanted pound cake to go with strawberries and whipped cream for dessert. First of all, maybe this recipe is for a different kind of pound cake than I'm used to, but it was more like yellow cake. It tasted good, just not like the pound cake I was thinking of. Second of all, even with all of my buttering and flouring of the bundt cake pan, this happened: Oh well, still was a good dessert
  14. KennethT

Best First Cookbook

My first cookbook was used as the textbook in the professional cooking class for non-professionals that I took in college... I don't know if it is still in print, but at the time, it was a great book that not only had good recipes to illustrate the theory that was taught, but had chapters on knife skills, sanitation, etc... It was "On Cooking" by Labensky and Hause... I'd highly recommend it.
  15. gfweb

Cooking plain old chips

You might try the cold oil method which is my usual for small batches I use this with Yukon Gold potatoes and do fine. Cut potatoes...rinse off surface starch (which browns fast), dry them put in a cold pan with just enough oil to cover them. turn on the heat and remove when they are brown and cooked through (test by eating one). They aren't greasier than a regular fry because the wetness in the potato excludes the oil from penetrating.
  16. Okanagancook

Cooking plain old chips

Use the edit feature to delete.
  17. Shelby

Ice Cream!

I don't know that you're looking for different ice cream recipes, but I thought I'd share this one: Buttered Popcorn Ice Cream My mom introduced me to it and it's a big time favorite of ours. I've never tried it with the Cracker Jacks.
  18. @gfron1 I possibly missed it so just in case what are the walnut turned pieces ? beautiful place , I can see a lll the hard work everybody has done love the colorful " Drip Wall " best of luck !
  19. Last two local articles. This first one is glowing, which is amazing because I started off on the wrong foot with this writer a few years ago: HERE And this one from our the Post-Dispatch, our big paper HERE I have a couple of slower days now, so I'm looking forward to sharing my thoughts later today or tomorrow about the process.
  20. Fof

Cooking plain old chips

Guys Thanks for all the comments. I suspect it is a potato variety problem. To the best of my recollection, we just bought 'generic' potatoes from the local shops. These were always whites. I do recall the name King Edwards, but whether these were the generics or not, who know. It was quite a few years before I knew anything about such things as floury/waxy, or red skinned with white or yellow flesh. Now I buy the 'generic' potatoes from the local shops, and the results are very underwhelming. I know I can double/triple cook, but more hassle. I am one of those guys who pretty well decides what to have to eat when I enter the kitchen. Meat will have been decided and set to thaw, but as to what I do with it, depends on my fancy at that moment in time. I like spontaneity😵😓😓 I guess I have start to try different varieties😓 Fof ps how to delete misplaced Emoji?
  21. lindag

Ice Cream!

Actually, yes, I have. My favorite source for dried fruits and veg. happens to be sold out of strawberries at the moment.. But I will definitely order some when they're back in stock. North Bay.
  22. CatIsHungry

Ice Cream!

Have you thought about pulverizing some freeze dried strawberries to bump up the flavor? (of course it will affect the color, so blah blah blah etc)
  23. I'll be closing reservations this Sunday at midnight. Please spread the word so we don't miss anyone. But at that point I"ll have to lock down the dinner and facility needs. Thanks.
  24. Kerry Beal

funnel dispenser

One of their promo pieces is a condom!
  25. Right you both are!
  26. Great stuff, especially the chicken card! Teo
  1. Load more activity