• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Maybe. What I was getting at was the fact that, although there's nothing like a fresh warm flour tortilla, they seem more amenable to being reheated on a comal. In NM I was surprised by how delicate the flour tortillas were. I'm so used to TJ's ones that I had forgotten that style.
  3. Adding my wishes for your husband's continued recovery. I know quite a few women who know absolutely nothing about the workings of the RV so good for you for having a handle on it all!
  4. Today
  5. Maison Rustique

Dinner 2024

Best done with garlic naan, but I only had plain, so I made do. Fast food!
  6. rotuts

Dinner 2024

@Maison Rustique what a fine idea.
  7. i always thought it was the fat but gluten could well be part of it, too.
  8. Maison Rustique

Dinner 2024

Naan pizza--made plenty so I'll have multiple meals. Trying to get the hang of cooking for one.
  9. To me, the term "more forgiving" means flexible, soft, bendable. Might it be the gluten in flour tortillas that gives them those properties?
  10. rotuts

Passover 2024

@BeeZee consider adding some fresh good quality curry powder to carrot soup . transformaional if you like curry. and it dissent have to be hot curry powder .
  11. They are 59 cents/lb at my local Shoprite, which would make an individual banana less than 24 cents. Maybe just a Trader Joe’s pricing adjustment?
  12. The Panama Canal is low on water, therefore the fewer bananas that they ship, then the boats will float higher requiring less water, simple 🥸 My local Walmart sells them for $1.30/Kg and organic for $2.14/Kg 😒 p
  13. My vote is the lack of rain that’s plaguing the Panama Canal is affecting the banana crop this year. Pure speculation though.
  14. S: 银耳; T: 銀耳 (yín ěr) is this silver tree-ear fungus, Tremella fuciformis, available in most supermarkets. They are approximately 15cm / 6 inches in diameter and weigh 190 grams / 6.7 ounces when fresh. They are more often found dried. However, today I found these: S: 小银耳; T: 小銀耳 (xiǎo yín ěr), Tremella fuciformis, small silver tree-ear fungus. They are about 5 cm / 2” max in diameter. I guess they are dropped into hotpots. Amusing more than anything. They certainly have no taste. Another one of those texture things, Chinese cuisine loves so much. ¥68 / $9.40 USD for 500 grams, but 500 grams would be a sack-load. They weigh almost nothing when dried.
  15. Best wishes for a speedy recovery and safe travels. I appreciate the updates, but also understand when posting to random strangers in the internet is not your top priority.
  16. I’m so sorry @Smithy, I find that when I am stressed, depressed or anxious food has little appeal. But your tabouli looks fantastic and is such a smart choice to eat during times of stress— easy on your tummy, filling, fresh and healthy. Best wishes to you and your love.
  17. Honkman

Dinner 2024

Oven-fried cod (coating made with crushed melba toast, egg whites, mustard, thyme, cayenne, garlic powder) with seared cauliflower with panko crumbs and garlic and mashed potatoes with pureed dried tomatoes, olive oil, basil and parsley
  18. Maybe flour tortillas are more forgiving. Maybe corn tortillas need to be eaten hot off the press!
  19. Me alleguede RobertM Chocolot Sue PEI and sister Jane Diana D curls VistaGardens Eat.Choui Wendy Peterson Britney Audrey Brown and Melanie Willow and a promising R handed employee Gwbyls +1 Anniebakes RanaNM Madam Bonbon Delna Matcha Wizard - aka Jenna Rob K JanM Omar C
  20. Yesterday
  21. blue_dolphin

Lunch 2024

I hope you like it. I wasn’t planning to get the book but the shrimp and coconut grits made me buy it. Not everything has been perfect but it’s earned a spot on my bookshelf!
  22. Neely

Lunch 2024

I wanted to thank you @blue_dolphin for the times you have mentioned in reference to the meal you’ve made “The Global Pantry Cookbook”. I finally looked it up ( takes me awhile lol) and was available through Amazon. Sometimes, some books and products aren’t available here in Australia. So I got it through Kindle and it’s a terrific read as well as a recipe informer despite its little quirks. I do have most ‘global’ things that are mentioned in my pantry but we will have to differ on kimchi, maybe I’ve just had bad ones. The other book you mention Tenderheart, well I’ll explore that another time. I like reading recipes but not so good at following them, using them more as a reference to the ingredients I have on hand. Occasionally I’ll shop specifically for ingredients for a particular recipe.
  23. I love this! What a great silver lining! Thanks for the kind words, and the insights. I hope you continue to recover.
  24. Captain

Dinner 2024

Crumbed chicken tenders and salad dressed with salsa.
  25. weinoo

Dinner 2024

A pretty tasty sushi dinner the other night out... Kanoyama. This is what they call their sushi special. The big roll is toro, hotate next to it, and uni/ikura.
  26. I immediately thought that maybe it had something to do with the Key Bridge collapse in Baltimore, but when I looked, turns out most of the bananas arrive at the Port of Wilmington, in Delaware.
  1. Load more activity