• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. I haven't tried it myself, so I'm just giving you book-learning. Maybe someone with experience will post, but time's a-wasting for your day's potato salad. The Instant Pot cookbook that I mentioned just before your post says this about potatoes: Potatoes, large russet / quartered, for mashing: 4 minutes at High pressure; Natural release for 8 minutes, then quick release. Potatoes, red / whole if less than 1.5 inch across; halved if larger: 4 minutes on High pressure; quick release. I'd guess that the red potato treatment is closer to what you want for potato salad. For hard-cooked eggs she uses Steam, High pressure, quick release and then right into an ice water bath. This is for eggs right out of the refrigerator, but note that she isn't doing it on Low pressure so it isn't the same technique and I don't know how it would compare to what you're after. I'll dig around some of my electronic books and look for other information, in case nobody with experience posts here!
  3. They're beautiful! Thanks!
  4. Yeah, every home recipe I've seen (and most pro recipes) are way too sweet. I usually go for a sucrose-equivalent sweetness (POD) of around 120g/1000g. Trehalose has roughly 40% the sweetness of sugar (possibly less at low dilutions), so you had the equivalent of 98g sucrose / 750g, or a POD of 130. Sucrose and dextrose in combination also give lots of independent control over sweetness and freezing point.
  5. BonVivant

Dinner 2019

What I've been eating: A small but very thick piece of liver I ask the fishmonger to save all the roe for me (he even charges less than other fishmongers). In Lyon it costs about 30 euros per kilo. Ouch. I pay 1/3. All kinds of roe from flatfish and herring etc. Lightly dredged in flour and fried in duck fat. Seared salmon SV goat's leg.
  6. BonVivant

Lunch 2019

Smoked fish Cooked in cream is always nice when one does not have bbq weather (and it's almost June!). Rosette de Lyon because I have many hanging in the house. And I made a mess whilst transfering the eggs to the plate. Clumsy perfectionist.
  7. Today
  8. Darienne

Greetings from Israel

Glad to meet you, Kasio. eGullet is a good place to be.
  9. I found this, but unfortunately DE 95 powdered glucose is for all practical purposes dextrose powder, which I have plenty of sources for. I ended up buying this on Amazon, which is the right stuff but seems like a terrible deal.
  10. lemniscate

Camping, Princess Style

The bottoms are unglazed.
  11. lemniscate

Camping, Princess Style

The doors were open once we got there. Looked like an orderly line to get in and then shoppers disperse to about 20 separate shelf units to browse. It was very civilized as far as no grabfest, just wander and examine. Some bring a folding cart or wagon to put their items in. Otherwise you carry your items, no shopping carts provided. There were two separate check-outs, cash and credit, cash was the shorter line and my choice. HF Coors provides boxes and wrapping paper. I think we were there no longer than 30min total. I bet there were 100 people in the factory area shopping and there was plenty of elbow room. It may be busier in the winter months. May is when things slow down as far as winter visitors to Tucson.
  12. ElsieD

Dinner 2019

How crucial is the cardamom? Do you think I can use something else?
  13. I just can't believe it ! I mis-placed my iPot notebook ( red ) and therefore ask for a little help Id like to pressure steam eggs right out of the refrigerator , as I have don in the past on the Low Pressure setting hoping to get a white that is tender , and a yolk that is custard like I know some of you do this. and A High pressure steam in of New Potatoes cut into large chunks , in the basket above the 1 cup of water Time ? release ? a good day for potato salad here : going to over 80 ! many thanks
  14. HungryChris

Lunch 2019

Mortadella and marinated zucchini ribbons on rye. HC
  15. Welcome! Please jump right in and share some of your baking recipes with us!
  16. Ann_T

Dinner 2019

@TdeV, not sure which recipe you wanted. If it is the Leek Spinach Tart I found the recipe here: Leek, Spinach and Feta Tart The only thing I did different was to add some roasted red peppers and to use homemade pastry. The pastry recipe is on this blog post: First Rhubarb Pie of the Season
  17. CatIsHungry

Meeting-friendly snacks to bake

We don’t eat a lot of commercial foods, either - I just don’t think the extra stuff in it is good for my guys ... I do make the odd exception for some things (like cookie butter - Peanut Butter- chocolate chips - yogurt - some things like that. Personally, I don’t think the odd exceptions i make here and there is going to kill them - ymmv.
  18. Hi! Very glad to be here)) Love baking, travel and singing
  19. Darienne

Meeting-friendly snacks to bake

Thanks Elsie, but I had already found a recipe for cookie butter and will try it soon. I figure it's because we don't eat out much and don't eat commercially prepared foods that we are still alive and kicking...
  20. HungryChris

Dinner 2019

Why, Thank you, @CatIsHungry, I am pleased to read that. HC
  21. liamsaunt

Dinner 2019

Friday i made tuna burgers Last night I made grilled chicken and black bean quesadillas
  22. Wow, congratulations! Those bowls look great, and the price is wonderful. I don't recall even seeing them in the shop. I'd love to see a side view if you're so inclined. Please tell more about it being "organized for chaos". What happens when the doors finally open? Is it a mob scene as reported for Black Friday post-Thanksgiving sales in shopping malls and Walmart, or are people more polite? Was there time to browse and go back to something you'd seen earlier, or did you have to grab fast?
  23. Last night we tried the Chicken Thighs with Salami and Fennel recipe from JAZ's Ultimate Instant Pot® Cookbook for Two. This is a very nice flavor combination. I tend to be leery of fennel because of its association with anise, but the sweetness of the bulb comes through and the licorice flavor doesn't. I need to use this vegetable more.
  24. lemniscate

Camping, Princess Style

@Smithy I made it to the Saturday sale! I thought getting there at opening bell was the smartest thing, however, it was already mobbed because people get there at 0:dark:thirty to wait in line to get the best selections. It was quite organized for chaos though. I needed bowls so I was looking more for shapes instead of design. I found these almost raku-like bowls that are great sizes and I love the colors. I don't even know the patterns name. I think I spent `$70 for 10 pieces. (water bottle for scale)
  25. Duvel

Dinner 2019

Sunday night ... Pizza with mushrooms and salami White pizza with shaved green asparagus and Camembert
  26. chromedome

Food recalls

A couple of recent alerts that came in while I was busy packing and moving: Nationally, salmonella in some Compliments brand (ie, Sobey's, Safeway and related stores) chicken strips. http://inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-05-24/eng/1558738971471/1558738974286 Quebec only, Pousses et Cie branded spicy microgreens mix might be contaminated with L. monocytogenes. http://inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-05-22/eng/1558549526741/1558549527573
  27. JoNorvelleWalker

Dinner 2019

Reprise of Dorie Greenspan's Fresh Orange Pork Tenderloin. Vanilla ice cream not shown.
  1. Load more activity