• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Today
  2. Tropicalsenior

Dinner 2024

This is the recipe for enchilada sauce that I have used for years. Although the recipe calls for making it in a skillet, I often make it in the microwave. If you don't have the New Mexican chili powder, any good chili powder will work. I also sometimes add sour cream to it for a richer flavor. Ten Minute Enchilada Sauce A super speedy enchilada sauce with a truly authentic taste. 1/4 cup vegetable oil 2 tablespoons flour 1/4 cup New Mexico or California chili powder 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce 1-1/2 cups water 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder 1/4 teaspoon onion salt salt to taste Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in flour and chili powder, reduce heat to medium, and cook until lightly brown, stirring constantly to prevent burning flour. Gradually stir in tomato sauce, water, cumin, garlic powder, and onion salt into the flour and chili powder until smooth, and continue cooking over medium heat approximately 10 minutes, or until thickened slightly. Season to taste with salt.
  3. Dejah

Dinner 2024

Had been planning for Chicken Enchilada since we got disappointing take out from a local Mexican. I didn't make the sauce. We have a local Mexican / Latin grocery store that is well stocked. I might have to make my own sauce next time as the can was $6.99. However, we enjoyed supper with suateed bell peppers, mushrooms on top of the enchiladas and under the cheese. Sides were Cilantro Lime rice (Tilda packaged ready to warm in the oven), steamed green beans, and guacamole.
  4. blue_dolphin

Breakfast 2024

I do not. I usually just toss it together and eat it. I like the crunch of the fresh veg. If there are leftovers, the cabbage will indeed give off some liquid and I'll either drain it off or mix it in, depending on how it looks.
  5. Ive had them, they were too firm and lacked the tartness of pink lady and honey crisp.
  6. rotuts

Breakfast 2024

@blue_dolphin excellent ! do you salt , drain , rinse your cabbage before use ? its a lot of extra steps . for me these days , extra steps better sure be worth it
  7. blue_dolphin

Breakfast 2024

For my usual kimchi slaw, I just put some kimchi and kimchi juice in a bowl, use scissors to chop it up, add a little mayo and that's the dressing for a bunch of finely sliced cabbage and any other shredded veg (carrot, radish, turnip, broccoli stems, kohlrabi, etc) I want to use up. Now, today, I actually used a recipe in The Global Pantry Cookbook and more or less followed it: 1/3 cup mayo 1T toasted sesame oil 1t sugar 1/2 t salt 2 c finely sliced cabbage 3/4 c finely chopped scallions 1/2 cup finely chopped kimchi I eyeballed everything probably used less mayo and sesame oil and just a pinch of salt and sugar but you get the idea.
  8. rotuts

Breakfast 2024

@blue_dolphin Id like to hear more about that kimchi slaw. thank you.
  9. blue_dolphin

Breakfast 2024

Salmon croquettes again. This time with kimchi slaw. Edited to add that I mixed up the croquettes yesterday and fried a few for breakfast. I put the mix in the fridge and this morning, I shaped and baked the rest of them so I have a few more to enjoy.
  10. Yeah, given that I only just recently started washing my molds with dish soap, the idea of putting them through the dishwasher is an absolute hard pass. But not spending hours washing bowls, pots and utensils sounds appealing.
  11. Thanks for the info Rob, I passed it along to my landlord and he thought it was an excellent idea so hopefully we can find someone other than Sysco to use 🤞
  12. Just paid Kerry, sorry it took so long, just realized this morning that we are less than a month away! Anyone else feel like this year is passing by via light speed!?! 😬
  13. My only foray into freeze dried coffee was to freeze dry a cold brew concentrate for a company I met at the restaurant show to provide proof it can be done. Can’t recall if it was any good
  14. An interesting and amusing James Hoffman video about making your own freeze dried coffee. https://youtu.be/eRnonn7EhEc?si=JeG7iRrZ7aXqTJFa Any updates from those with freeze dryers? Lessons learned?
  15. thank you for the menu. Ive been to London late '60's /// early '70's you are correct . pretty grim in restaurants it was Chops , or at better restaurannts : Superb Indian. unless you passed a Fish and Chips take out first.
  16. rotuts

Lunch 2024

My favorite soup : Bean w Bacon Ive made and had very good ' Navy Bean Soup ' but this Campbell's version now w a bit less salt ' Heart Healthy ' is better I add granulated garlic , and Spanish Smoked Paprika . mashed w a hand potato masher to a medium consistency. window green onion garnish. sometimes w a pat of butter :
  17. Flicking through an old cookbook, I was tickled to see a recipe for Simpson's Treacle Roll. Simpson's-in-the-Strand (now closed) was one of London's oldest restaurants and a bit of an institution, celebrated for its roast meats. This particular pudding seemed a little incongrous for a supposedly 'fancy' restaurant, being just a square of suet pastry spread with golden syrup, rolled up like a Swiss Roll and then steamed. I was under no illusions as to what it would turn out like, but I enjoy a bit of nostalgia... It was as imagined: soft, fluffy pastry that had soaked up the sticky syrup within. Nothing remarkable, but pleasant enough. The recipe said to serve with extra golden syrup, but it would be unimaginable that Simpson's didn't have a jug of custard to hand if requested... I found a menu from 1974, and there it was for the princely sum of 35p (80c)... 1970s London must have been pretty grim if this is what passed for fine-dining.
  18. Here (at least in every store in NY that I've seen) the bin that holds shallots contains a mix of your original photo and the Spruce Eats one. And you have to feel all of them up to find ones that aren't too old....
  19. Shallots to me are more like this image from The Spruce Eats. More pointed than round. Image: The Spruce Eats / Diana Chistruga The Chinese name for those I posted above is 小红葱 (xiǎo hóng cōng), literally 'small red onion'. But sometimes the shallots I usually buy resemble these Spruce Eats examples and are described as 小葱 (xiǎo cōng), only missing the 'red'. I find the labelling of alliums is often confused and with multiple regional variations.
  20. Coincidentally, I found some nice-looking, normal-sized onions at the market yesterday. Like others here, I've been finding only large (grapefruit-sized) onions the past few months, and of poor quality, too.
  21. They look exactly like what they call shallots here.
  22. I've never seen them at the TJ's I frequent. There are a lot of items folks post that they've found at TJ's that we never see in El Cerrito. I sometimes feel like Joe's stepchild. Thanks for the review. For the most part, I've stopped buying fruit at TJ's. The quality just doesn't compare to the other local markets in the area, such as where I found the apples. And in some instances TJ's is more expensive. Thanks for the reminder about oxidation. I totally forgot about that.
  23. liuzhou

Lunch 2024

Supermarket frozen wontons (Mandarin: 馄饨 (hún tún) pretending to be ravioli, drizzled with EVOO and black pepper. Quick 2 minute lunch on a busy day.
  24. I picked up a few Wild Twist apples at Trader Joe’s. I thought they were pretty good. Light yellow flesh, firm but crunchy texture, flavor reminded me of a Delicious but milder. There's one sliced up in this photo I posted in another topic the other day: As indicated in that Speciality Produce link shared above, the cut surfaces do oxidize fairly quickly so I gave those slices a quick bath in acidulated water.
  25. liuzhou

How big is an onion?

I found small onions,
  26. A few days ago, I was muttering on @Shel_B's How big is an onion? topic about only being able to find bowling ball sized onions. Someone in my local supermarket must have read that. Today, they were stocking these. Mini red onions (the default type here). i have had them before, but not regularly. I use them like shallots. ¥11.98 / $1.65 USD per kg.
  1. Load more activity