• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Thanks for sharing that! The spiced sugar mixture sounds kinda like toast dope, some form of which I usually have on hand so this would be easy to try even with just a few leftover sheets.
  3. @rotuts and other TJ's winos, you many want to look for this Trader Joe's Platinum Cabernet from the Napa Valley. It's $20/bottle. At my store, they were limiting it to 1 bottle per person and said they didn't have much. My wine guy raved about it and said it was a $100 bottle of wine. Maybe call and see if your store has it.
  4. Margaret Pilgrim

Dinner 2019

It seems their numbers are recovering . Clicking on suppliers, it serms that Berkeley Bowl is mentioned. You might call ahead since they are seasonal.
  5. As I nearly always do, I caved to the enabling here and ordered the Joule (on sale at Amazon for $159+ change) along with the Everie container. Delivery comes Monday. Can't wait to try some beef. A couple of years ago I tried the Anova and just didn't like the whole process, gave it away. Now I'm psyched to try again after seeing the photos here and hearing about how well it works.
  6. Today
  7. liuzhou

Dinner 2019

Vegetarian? Good Lord! I can be accused of many things, but vegetarian? I do occasionally make vegetarian dishes - like some salads. Or a poached egg. But please be reassured, this was not in the least vegetarian. 晒兰 (shài lán) is ham, ham, ham! Any rumours to the contrary are fake news and lies.
  8. While at the grocery store this morning, I came across Smoked Pork Neck Bones, a product I had never used before. I picked up a 2 lb. package, along with several cans of Navy Beans, and decided to make Pork Neck and Navy Bean Soup in my Instant Pot for dinner tonight. First, I softened some celery, carrot, onion and garlic in some peanut oil in the pot. Then added chicken stock, some more carrots, a couple of bay leaves, some dried thyme and black pepper to the vegetables in the pot. I only used half the pork necks and put the other half in the freezer for another time. After these photos, I added the rest of the chicken stock (4 cups total) to cover the pork and cooked them on Manual, High Pressure for 20 minutes and 20 minutes Natural Release. I removed the bay leaves and the necks, and the one pound of necks yielded almost 7 ounces of meat, which I shredded... ...and added back to the pot... ...along with the four cans of drained navy beans. The soup is now on a one hour Slow Cook to bring all of the flavors together. Notes for next time: Use low sodium chicken stock for better control of the salt and wait to add the extra carrots with the beans as they were softer than I wanted after the pressure cooking.
  9. I have several 6 qt iPots , as I wanted a spare I succumbed to Amazon's black friday and have an 8 qt iPot its , of course , resting comfortably in its box. Im wondering if anyone has an 8 qt and can give me the inner dimensions of the Pot itself im looking for a SS pot to do larger amounts of rice in it I have this for the 6 qt : https://www.amazon.com/Tovolo-Stainless-Steel-Mixing-Quart/dp/B001C0B02E/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=1.5%2Bqt%2Bbowl%2Bfor%2Binstant%2Bpot&qid=1575737327&sr=8-4&th=1 the 1.5 qt version thank you . I like this brand , but the next step up currently is the 5.5 qt , and that 10" + in diameter Id love to find a similar Ss pot for the 8 qt , maybe 3 - 4 qys thank you
  10. I did another successful cook of pork chops, carrots and asparagus on the PAG. First cook on it since my wife was home, so I went with a success. (She is suspicious of new kitchen gadgets unless and until they produce good food.) Didn't bother to take pictures. These chops were thinner than the previous night's so I cooked them for 5 minutes per side. Perfect.
  11. weinoo

Dinner 2019

Scottadito!
  12. weinoo

Dinner 2019

Totally agree and it sucks. The Norwegian stuff is good quality, as is Scottish. Perhaps you can find some smoked, and use it like you would "novie!"
  13. I was given some small winter squash so I thought I would see what I could do in terms of grilling them on the Avance. This is a very small butternut squash although I suspect it goes by a different name. and here is another similar one on the grill after being peeled, seeded and sliced. Dinner was a mix of leftovers from yesterday and the freshly grilled squash I do not think I would bother repeating this grilled squash. It was simply boring. The option of glazing it with something like maple syrup did not appeal to me because I did not want to deal with burnt squash. I just think there are better ways of treating winter squash. YMMV.
  14. It's Saturday No deer gotten yesterday. They all came out just as the light was fading and too dark to shoot. Chum and the cats spent yesterday afternoon napping in the sun in the front room while I puttered around the kitchen. Dr. Lecter especially likes this and snuggles up to Chum--which she politely tolerates for a bit and then moves. The alarm went off this morning at the usual middle of the night time lol. Ronnie got up and got downstairs before Chum roused herself...you could tell she was struggling between going back to sleep and getting up to go. Getting up prevailed and she bounded after him. Back to yesterday: Trying to change things up, I decided to make breakfast burritos for this morning. Just the usual sausage, egg, cheese and a few pickled jalapeños. Then I moved on to the pork belly. I like pork belly done about any way you can think of. I usually do it in the IP--easy and melty delicious, but I wanted that crispy crust of skin on top and the IP isn't good for that. So, I looked around the internet and found a recipe. Yes, you shouldn't try a new recipe when you have company, but I did it anyway. The recipe said to poke holes in the skin with an ice pick--don't go through the layer of fat, just the skin. Out of all the utensils I have, I do not own an ice pick. So, I used a knife which wasn't the best, but I made do. Then you turn it over and rub Chinese cooking wine, 5 spice powder, salt and pepper into the meat. Turn it back over onto a tray, pat the skin dry and let it marinate in the fridge. It said 12 hours, but I did it for about 5. I'll get back to the belly later. Appetizers were definitely un-Asian. When I try to find appetizers to go with that type of meal, it always sends me to egg rolls which we eat with the main meal... Anyway, the ever solid Knorr veggie dip in a sourdough bread bowl and @Kim Shook's sausage pimento balls. I over heard our friend saying how much he loves these Next I prepped all the tofu and veggies and sauce for the drunken noodles. I need the veggies to be softer for me to eat, so I did the broccoli in the IP on 0 minutes quick release. Not falling apart, but not crunchy. Success. And, I like to crisp up the tofu in a skillet a bit. On to the baby bok choy. A glug of oil in the IP and sauté a couple chunks of garlic. Wash the bok choy, cut off the hard ends and place in the IP with about 1/2 cup of water or so. Again I needed the bok choy to be soft so I did 10 mins, quick release. Back to the pork belly: When ready to cook, you pat the skin dry again, brush with vinegar and cover the skin with rock salt. Bake at 350F for an hour. I did it in the CSO on steam bake. When the hour was up, I took the meat out until it was about 30 minutes before we were to eat. Then --still following the recipe--I brushed the salt off, put it back in the CSO and broiled at 500F for about 20 mins. I was terrified and I was starting to do that nervous sweaty thing. It didn't puff up like I thought it would...a few places were burned...a few weren't done enough, but I forged ahead. I picked off the really burned parts and cut the belly into strips and placed it on the platter like I was confident. Ha. By then the oil was hot enough to fry the egg rolls ( I made those last week and froze them) And yay, dinner was ready. Drunken Noodles Bok Choy drizzled with a bit of rice vinegar and soy sauce Egg Rolls And pork belly The belly was actually good despite my best efforts to screw it up lol. I need practice. Again, the skin wasn't exactly like I imagined it, but it was ok. I think our friend ate half of this platter lol. The meat and fat were meltingly tender and when you happened to get a bite that had the perfect skin ( I ate a tiny bite with the skin even though I wasn't supposed to ), it was like the angels were singing. The guys really liked the contrast between the skin and the rest. So, the plan is that they hunt for a while and then our friend wants to come back here and watch the LSU-Georgia game while they bone out the deer. I'm having them put all the parts in the fridge and I'll work on that either tomorrow or Monday. I have an assortment of cheeses laid out to "warm" up. Cheese always is better like that I think. I'm going to do a platter of nibble-y stuff for the appetizers and that's as far as I've gotten. Need to figure out dinner tomorrow. But first, I need to go start some laundry and I need to vacuum but I have two sleeping cats in here and I can't bear to wake them up
  15. Anna N

Dinner 2019

Vegetarian? Or is that some form of protein that I spot?
  16. Making Moussaka and Spanakopita for guests and suddenly thought...what will I do with the leftover phyllo sheets. Found this recipe Phyllo Crisps and whipped them up. Forgot that there were only the two of us to eat them...apparently they don't keep well...and we both ate too many. Oh well, this too will pass. However, they were easy to make, quick, no fuss...and delicious. Did not cut them correctly, but it made no difference as to taste. This morning they are still crispy...yes, I just tried one. Now will they last until Sunday night's dinner and the arrival of the guests? I put up a photo only to fulfil my eG obligations. I really am a poor photographer...
  17. shain

Dinner 2019

Potato and sunchoke gratin. Peas and egg salad, with a mayonnaise based dressing kept on the vinegary and light side, to complement the gratin. Dill, mustard, pickles.
  18. Katie Meadow

Dinner 2019

The King is dead. Long live the King. Yes, it makes me want to cry. Sockeye and Coho just aren't as good as west coast King / Chinook, but the days of fresh wild CA King salmon are just about gone. Sometimes we can get Alaskan King that's wild and usually frozen, but all stocks are depleted. Farmed Atlantic salmon is available as it is on the east coast, but I no longer have a taste for it; there's always something wrong with it and it makes me depressed. I don't know if any farmed Norwegian or Scottish salmon makes it out to CA; I've never seen it, but I've never looked for it either. I'm sorry for our loss and our ongoing stupidity. Forgive me! Seasonal Affective Disorder and xmas music always make December a hard sell for me.
  19. liuzhou

Dinner 2019

Cauliflower stir fried with 晒兰 (shài lán), green and red chillies, garlic, ginger, Shaoxing wine and soy sauce. Served with rice and wilted spinach.
  20. weinoo

Dinner 2019

I also wonder if I'm better off buying frozen wild Alaskan salmon - usually it's sockeye or Coho, not my favorites as they can also dry out very quickly in cooking.
  21. weinoo

Dinner 2019

Yes. This was definitely salmon geared to the mass-market. Like the chicken breast of fish. I've also had pretty good farmed stuff; some of the Norwegian and Scottish fish is quite good.
  22. Anna N

Lunch 2019

Yes there is a fair bit of pork but it’s quite tasty. I did report back on the duck egg in the breakfast topic. It was a little overcooked to my mind but I wondered if that was the reheating. I put it into a 50°C bath for 15 minutes.I was wondering how you went about doing the reheating before service.
  23. chromedome

Dinner 2019

It certainly can't hurt to try. It's quite striking the difference aquaculture practices make. There are two salmon-rearing operations in my immediate vicinity, and when I opened my restaurant I tried them both head-to-head. One is among the largest players in salmon production, and they cater primarily to the price-sensitive mass market. Theirs was just sad...pale in color (not that color *really* matters) and equally insipid in flavor. The other was a smaller operation targeting a higher-end market niche, and theirs was vastly superior in every respect. Better color, better flavor, thicker fillets, firmer texture. Their cultivation practices were better as well, with pen densities at less than 1/3 of the populations stocked by their larger competitor. They also produce their own feedstocks, as opposed to buying feed. You'll have little trouble guessing which supplier I opted to use...
  24. I had a similar mishap with my most recent pot of steel-cut oats. Thought I'd turned the pot off, but instead somehow had just lowered the induction hob to its lowest setting. Left it to "cool" for an hour, and returned to a smell of overdone oatmeal cookies. About 2/3 of the pot was salvageable, though I deliberately didn't scrape out as much as I could have in order to limit the whiff of scorched-ness. Too damned cheap frugal to throw it out, so that's been my breakfast the past two days and I'll finish it tomorrow. Next batch will be babysat with the vigilance one normally reserves for a 3-year old with ADHD and a bellyful of chocolate-covered espresso beans.
  25. That's what crossing the border feels like for a Canadian. There's many a hard-drinking New Brunswicker who can cite in detail exactly how much you're allowed to bring back after a given length of visit, and I'm sure the same holds true for border areas of the other provinces. If "Two-buck Chuck" had a Canadian equivalent, it would be "Ten Buck Chuck" or something like that (or maybe "twelve-buck").
  26. nickrey

Lunch 2019

Seems to be a lot of pork in the green pepper duck terrine. How did the duck egg go?
  27. heidih

Cooking Goose

Oddly appealing. Thank you. The oatmeal is an interesting touch. - says the girl reading her laptop in bed hugging a bowl of butter and sugar cuz it is so freakin cold and I want to make the cookies. Seems to be working - butter has softened.. The things we do for friends...
  1. Load more activity