• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Spent what seems like most of the morning going through this topic. Don't know how I missed it the first time around. Wow! Would I love to have been there, if only to try all those wonderful looking treats, both from the eG gang and from the various stores and restaurants. Talk about a good time must have been had by all! Loved the Victorian candy machine video.
  3. TdeV

Dinner 2019

Looks great, @Kim Shook. Recipe?
  4. Way back when on eGullet, there was an eGullet member with the user name NeroW. New-ish to the internet at the time, I assumed, incorrectly, that NeroW was male. She posted a soup recipe (with a ripe banana as one of the ingredients!) that a lot of members made and said they enjoyed. Very Nero Wolfe-ish!
  5. So for the purposes of starting to plan next year - I wonder if the participants would give some thought to what we should be sure to have that they found lacking this year. I’ll start the list with 1. sufficient silicone spatulas 2. Plastic bowls 3. Scrapers 4. Offset spatulas thoughts also on what we should do the same and what we might do different
  6. Amber Waddell

Sun-dried Tomato and Goat Cheese Pasta

Hey everyone! I wanted to share my recipe for a quick and easy pasta recipe, perfect for a weeknight meal. This pasta has sun-dried tomatoes, artichokes, goat cheese and lemon zest. It's creamy and totally delicious. But more importantly it's super quick. I made mine vegetarian this time but you can easily add a piece of grilled chicken or sausage to bulk it up a little. Here are the ingredients: 1/2 pound of any kind of pasta you like (I like using long spaghetti like linguine, fettuccine or angel hair) 4 tablespoons of sun-dried tomatoes in oil, chopped 2 handfuls of fresh arugula 3 ounces of goat cheese 5 quarters of marinated artichokes, chopped 1 cup of your favorite white wine 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest 1/2 yellow onion, chopped 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder OR 2 cloves fresh garlic, chopped 1 cup of reserved pasta cooking water In a sauté pan, pour some of the sun-dried tomato oil in on medium-high heat. Once hot, put in the chopped yellow onion. Let sweat for a few minutes until translucent. Chop the sun-dried tomatoes and artichokes and add it to the pan. Cook for 3 minutes. Pour in the white wine. Let it cook until it has reduced by about half. Meanwhile, bring a pot of water to a boil. Once it comes to a boil, add a good handful of salt (you need to season your pasta water, it's super important!!). Cook the pasta until al dente. Once it's cooked, drain the pasta but reserve a cup of the cooking liquid. Add the pasta to the pan with the tomato/artichoke mixture. Then add the cooking liquid. Cook for a few minutes in the pan until thickened. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the goat cheese, lemon zest and arugula. Toss until everything is combined and the goat cheese has melted in to make a creamy sauce. I really love this recipe. It's great for lunches or dinner and can be easily adapted. I hope you all enjoy! Don't hesitate to ask questions!
  7. kayb

Dinner 2019

Sigh. I'll cook again, someday, I guess. I hate moving. The thought of the new kitchen is sustaining me. On the other hand, today all the books got finished packing and loaded into the trailer that is living in our driveway. Now I have room to pack other stuff.
  8. kayb

Adorable Gummies

God forbid my six-year-old grandsons every discover gummie Legos!
  9. BeeZee

Mozzarella: what to do with it?

If it is the firm block type mozz (ie, not the ball in brine) you can cut cubes and make mozz stuffed meatballs, or arancini. Neither uses a tremendous amount of cheese, but mozz (if in a sealed pack, I'm thinking of the stuff like Polly-O in the US) will keep for a while in the fridge if unopened.
  10. pastrygirl

Assuming the firmer brick type, it's pretty melty so how about a fondue or rarebit? Bump up the seasonings since mozz is milder than gruyere or cheddar and/or add a small amount of something extra strong like Parmesan or blue. Cold smoke some for variety if you're crafty that way. Dog treats?
  11. @RobertM sounds some exceptional for those who have a calling for woking w chocolate , and making it a calling or an exceptional find calling at home I , and only me , possibly would enjoy a simple description on those items the members got to take home just to put my personal individual perspective on Chocolat {ed.: there is a book : https://www.amazon.com/Chocolat-Novel-Vianne-Rocher/dp/0140282033 and a movie : the movie does decent justice to the book : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chocolat_(2000_film) }
  12. Today
  13. cdh

When you say mozzarella, what do you mean? Did he bring home balls of the fresh stuff sitting in whey brine? Did he get bricks of the dried stuff? Bags of the shredded dried stuff? Lots of things get called mozzarella commercially... knowing what you've got would help us come up with recommendations... see e.g.: https://www.foodrepublic.com/2015/10/01/12-types-mozzarella-know-love-melt/ and https://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-deal-with-low-moisture-mozzarella-and-when-to-use-it-256664
  14. We have some AMAZING sponsors to our little group, and to each of them we hold deep gratitude. We truly could not do what we do without their continued support! After dinner, we held our drawing for the things that our sponsors sent to us.....
  15. Just noticed that the Oster French Door oven is on sale at $109.99 at Costco Canada. That is the best price I have seen on it. If I had the space I would buy a second one.
  16. Alex

If you can find some decent hothouse tomatoes and some fresh basil, make a caprese salad or a variation thereof. If you like Italian subs, try some mozz instead of provolone.
  17. Saturday evening we had our dinner at The Chocolate Pig.... Chicken Fried Brussels Sprouts with a Buttermilk sauce... these (in my not so humble opinion) were the “hit” of the meal.... proclaimed by another eG attendee as “f......ing delicious”.....and everyone agreed (and I don’t like Brussels Sprouts)
  18. Darienne

Ed, he who does the shopping now and always manages to floor me each time with what he buys 'extra', has bought way too much mozzarella. Besides putting it on pizza or using it in Lasagne, how else can I work it into our lives? Thanks.
  19. Saturday and Sunday at the Community College.... some worked alone, some worked in pairs, or groups, and everyone gave of their time and expertise. We shared ideas, we shared techniques, we talked about concepts and we tested new ideas.....
  20. Shelby

Dinner 2019

Venison tostadas Garden asparagus and roasted chicken quarters Venison chili
  21. Before we regrouped at the college, Kerry, Ruth and I headed West to Nathaniel Reids’ bakery, on a quest for Kouign Aman and to see what other delicious delicacies awaited ..... we were not disappointed, and while we were settling up our tabs and “schmoozing” the gal behind the register says....let me see if Nathaniel can take a break and come talk to you.....
  22. liamsaunt

Dinner 2019

Sunday I made a tomato, Israeli couscous and chickpea soup from the current issue of Cook’s Country magazine Last night I made spicy turkey lettuce cups with crispy ginger and garlic and smashed cucumber salad, both NY Times recipes
  23. Then...off to (back to) Bulrush STL for the ice breaker/meet and greet/grip and grin... I was pulled off to a “special project” and didn’t get to mingle with everyone as much as I would have wanted... as usual, there was some truly amazing things brought to Friday night, which just goes to show how truly creative and amazing our folks are.....
  24. Friday night before the regrouping some of us decided on BBQ, Pappy’s Smokehouse is about 2 blocks from Bulrush STL so it seemed like a good choice..... turned out, it was a great decision As it turned out, if you’re famous, they have you sign a menu where it is put on the wall. They didn’t recognize Kerry or Ruth, so, we need to go back.....
  25. Master Class at Kakao. We were shown their production of marshmallow, caramel, toffee and pate de fruit lunch was from Bolyards....(I had the beef) O
  26. A special thank you to John for the delicious wine selection!!
  1. Load more activity