• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. robirdstx

Dinner 2019

We had an early dinner at Michiru in Webster: GYOZA (shared) BEEF SZECHUAN STYLE (for him) with Hot & Sour Soup and Steamed Rice C2 ROLL (for me) Filet mignon, fried crawfish, avocado, steak sauce, spicy mayo, garlic chips
  3. Is the link supposed to go to the recipe?
  4. Yesterday
  5. A lot of the blame for the unreparable appliance problem I think lies with the Walmart and Targets of the world who demand lower and lower prices for appliances. They’ve reached the point where repair is more expensive than buying a new one.
  6. It's on the back of the packaging, but you have to zoom in on the image on their product to read it.
  7. I checked the Modernist Pantry powdered glucose page when @paulraphael posted. Where does it say the DE number?
  8. Modernist Pantry sells a powdered glucose with a DE of 95+. I don't know if that's what you're looking for though. Modernist Pantry also sells N -Zorbit in retail quantities, if that's the type of maltodextrin you're looking for.
  9. CatIsHungry

Meeting-friendly snacks to bake

Cayenne?! Hmmm 😀 I will have to give that a try in one of my next batches - thanks for the tip! ... A few years ago I turned my son on to cookie butter so I will oft sub cookie butter for Peanut Butter- that is his fave version, of course ... Oh - Kolaches!!! That was another big winner with the meeting crowd - I did a variety of fillings - apricot - cream cheese - apricot / cream cheese - prune - cherry - cherry / cream cheese - etc ... And the Savoy Scones - not like a typical American scone at all - these were good! - oh these are so delicious - so light - soft - absolutely heavenly. Haven’t made them in a while - I used figs instead of sultanas - the recipe is at fairmontmoments.com - I’ve made full recipe (makes a fair amount) and halved it no problem) ... the double egg wash absolutely makes a huge difference.
  10. http://fixitclinic.blogspot.com/
  11. Katie Meadow

Artichokes

Okay, I'm crazy for artichokes. Of course I love them steamed whole, with something for dipping and that's always easy. Here in CA the artichokes have been very good and not too pricey this season. Gabrielle Hamilton has a relatively novel way to steam artichokes currently, but as with some simple ideas, hers can take a turn for the labyrinthine. I swear she could write several pages on how to butter a slice of bread. Lately I came across a simple technique which is rather clever: cut off the top third and steam them cut side down over lemon water. They cook a little faster that way. But my favorite way to eat them is also the most labor intensive: peeling away a lot of the raw leaves (on large chokes), cutting them, scraping out the fuzzies, putting in acidulated water. Then I dry them briefly with a cloth and sauté them in oil or butter until they are crispy. Prepped like that they are then fabulous whether they are on top of spaghetti, in a lasagne or, my favorite way, as a pizza topping. But that's a lot of work and, sadly, I'm getting kind of lazy. When chokes are not in season or I want an adequate substitute, I'm looking for a short cut. I don't want marinated in oil; I'm not after a salad. I can't stand canned artichokes. I tried the Spanish style roasted chokes from TJ's, and the texture was okay, but they were so heavily seasoned I had to wash them off. Plain frozen artichokes seem like they have more potential, but even thawed and drained they are pretty watery and flabby. How do I get them to dry out a bit without overcooking them? Are all frozen artichokes pre-cooked? Or are there any frozen raw ones? So far any artichoke that isn't fresh seems not very good. I shouldn't be surprised; it isn't as if I eat many frozen vegetables. I suffer through corn withdrawal ten months a year. If anyone has a clever way to deal with this dopey problem let me know. My husband has volunteered to prep fresh artichokes so I don't have to do it, but I'm not sure he knows what a pain it is and to be honest I am worried that he will stab himself with a knife or a leaf tip or a grapefruit spoon when removing the fuzz.
  12. I'm looking for someone who sells retail quantities with reasonable shipping prices. Most importantly, I'm looking for products that report DE numbers. Almost everything I see is mystery ingredients. In a perfect world, I'd be looking for very low-DE values. Thanks!
  13. weinoo

Adorable Gummies

I love gummies, but I don't know if the type I love I'd give to the kiddies. Leggos or not.
  14. Wow, never seen such a big mulberry! Here the biggest ones reach 4 cm top, most trees give fruits that are less than 3 cm long. I know only one tree here that gives the white ones, they are my favourite, such sweetness and fragrance! Mulberries are totally forgotten and overlooked here, there are plenty of trees in the fields, but nobody harvest mulberries anymore. There's a long bicycle path that is surrounded by mulberry trees, when in season the asphalt becomes purple, yet people keep their eyes on their smartphones, really sad. Teo
  15. Shelby

Dinner 2019

I've been meaning to tell you ever since I saw your post that every time we went to Chi Chi's this is what I ordered too!!! Came sizzling on that very hot plate along with rice and refried beans. Heavenly. I'm sure that yours were even more delicious using the real stuff
  16. Shelby

Dinner 2019

Oh they are so good. SO much better than I can get at the store. I'm very lucky that she gives me some of hers. That's why I try to keep her in fresh caught fish and ducks and geese.
  17. ElsieD

Dinner 2019

@Shelby I would really, really, like some of those berries. We are still at least a month away.
  18. My cousin and I are in Richmond for a quick visit. We were impressed by Virginia Museum of Fine Arts. And Edgar Allan Poe Museum is very interesting. But I travel to eat ;). Lunch at Sabai. https://www.sabairva.com/. Green papaya salad, pork belly, dry beef were outstanding. Calamari were not my favorite but my cousin loved it. Entirely too much food. Entirely consumed.
  19. Shelby

Dinner 2019

Pizza night again With dark chocolate pudding and more of those wonderful strawberries @rotutsall the green on the pizza is jalapeños so no worries
  20. David Ross

eG Cook-Off #82: Salmon

Thanks for the tips. I tried the salad cold but preferred it when I tried it room temperature. I love wood ear mushrooms so I'll try those next time.
  21. heidih

@David Ross Good combo on the salmon and japchae. I prefer the noodles room temp or barely warm - brings flavors out for me. The vendors I frequent do not always use red bell pepper and DO always use wood ear mushrooms. To me the distinctive flavor of toasted sesame oil is key as well.
  22. David Ross

Looks delicious. I'm having something similar for dinner tonight. (and I also make it for breakfast).
  23. Our tree is of the Afghan variety, and it's season comes to an end. There are just a few white mulberry trees around, and a somewhat more of the black type. There used to be a tree in almost every yard when I was younger - they used to plant them above the chickens cops for shade, back when almost every family had chickens. Here's one from my tree, with my hand for scale. They are quite long.
  24. Thanks, you are too kind, I have much to improve yet. Regardless, It's a long flight, but you are always welcome
  25. Mulberry season starts next week here, I'm happy, one of my favourites! Do you have the white ones where you live? Teo
  26. David Ross

Last week I was working on how to combine Korean flavors with salmon. I've been doing Chinese dishes for years and started dabbling in Japanese cooking a few years back, but have never done any Korean dishes at home until last year. One of the local Asian markets was bought last year by a Korean family and now it's my favorite of the three markets in town. They specialize in Korean ingredients and the lady and her husband who own the shop couldn't be more nice. When I was in the market looking for a specific Korean Doenjang soybean paste, she was curious I had the right one. She thought I wanted Japanese Miso, but when I explained the recipe she was quite pleased. She directed me to the correct package of Korean Japchae noodles for the salad I planned on making to go with the salmon. In this recipe I made a paste using Doenjang and slathered that over the top of the salmon. The salmon was grilled on alder planks on the outdoor grill. The Doenjang is stronger than Japanese miso and has a bit of heat, but I loved it. I'll use it again and test it against recipes for Japanese miso. Most of the planks sold for grilling are cedar, but I prefer the alder for a milder smoke flavor. The Japchae noodle salad wasn't something I've made before but I thought it was crisp and refreshing. The noodles don't have much flavor but I liked the texture and they went well with the vegetables in the dressing. I had some salmon leftover and put that into the salad the next day. Korean BBQ Salmon with Japchae Noodle Salad- Chilled Japchae Noodle Salad- 10 oz. Korean Japchae noodles-glass noodles made from potato starch 1 bunch fresh spinach ½ cup fresh bean sprouts ½ yellow onion, thinly sliced ½ red bell pepper, thinly sliced ½ cup julienned carrot 1 tbsp. olive oil 2 garlic cloves, mincd 2 tbsp. soy sauce 1/2 tsp. dried red chili flakes 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar 1 tbsp. sugar 1 tsp. toasted sesame seeds Heat a pot of water to the boil, then add the Japchae noodles. Cook the noodles until tender, about 7 minutes. Drain the noodles and rinse with cold water. Drain the noodles again. Place the noodles in a large bowl. Heat another saucepot of water to a simmer and add the spinach. Cook the spinach until wilted, about one minute. Drain the spinach then roughly chop. Add the spinach, bean sprouts, onion, red bell pepper, carrot and olive oil to the bowl with the noodles and toss to combine. In a small bowl add the garlic, soy sauce, chili flakes, vinegar, sugar and sesame seeds and stir to combine. Pour the dressing over the noodles and vegetables and toss to combine. Place the salad in a container, cover and refrigerate to chill, at least one hour while you make the salmon. Spicy Korean BBQ Salmon- ½ cup Korean Doenjang soybean paste ½ cup Mayonnaise 2 tbsp. Korean Gochujang chili paste 1 tbsp. granulated sugar 1 tsp. dried red chile flakes 2 tsp. grated lemon zest 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice 4, 6oz. salmon filets 1 tbsp. olive oil Salt and cracked black pepper 4 alderwood, (or cedar), grilling planks, soaked in water 1 hour 2 fresh lemons 1 tsp. black sesame seeds In a bowl add the soybean paste, mayyonnaise, chili paste, sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice and whisk to combine. Brush the bottom side of each salmon filet with olive oil. Sprinkle the top side of each salmon filet with salt and cracked black pepper. Using a spoon, spread a layer of the Spicy Korean BBQ sauce over the top of each salmon filet. Drain the alder planks from the water. Place each salmon filet on one of the planks and grill. Cut the lemons in half. Grill the lemons to create grill marks while the salmon is grilling on the alder planks. Serve the salmon directly on the planks sprinkled with black sesame seeds. Serve the grilled lemons with the salmon. Serve the chilled Japchae Noodle Salad on the side.
  27. Ed and I may just have to come and visit your kitchen one day.... You are an extraordinary baker.
  1. Load more activity