• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Today
  3. Ann_T

Dinner 2019

@mm84321, that dinner looks amazing. I really want the chicken. Pizza tonight. Dough was in the fridge since yesterday afternoon. Vegetarian pizza for Matt - Artichoke and Pesto And Pepperoni and mushroom for Moe and I.
  4. Can anybody point me to this thread? @DiggingDogFarm?
  5. If you are making 6 flavors / 270 pralines then you are setting yourself up for failure no matter your workflow...it's no way to be efficient and make money. I understand that when you start out you want to have as many flavors as possible to be attractive to your customers but for 270 pieces you should have 2 flavors at the most... That amount in 2 flavors would take me about 4-4.5 hours....that's with my own optimized workflow (no access to a continuos tempering machine)....somebody else may be faster or slower. I would recommend the following things: 1. Buy an EZtemper or equivalent machine. 2. Buy more molds...only one style that is easy to clean and polish (eg. Hemispheres) 3. Don't go crazy with the designs on your shells...keep it simple....most of the fancy designs you see on Instagram are very labor intensive and made by people that sell "masterclasses" but don't sell chocolates 😉 4. Temper your ganache before filling, it will set a lot quicker and you can cap them sooner. Hope this helps 😊
  6. Rolling pin: be careful what you wish for edition... The RLB rolling pin went back. To take its place I reached out to my favorite kitchen supply, McMaster-Carr. Tonight was delivered my new pin: a two foot by 13/4 inch, food grade, polytetrafluoroethylene* rod. It fits comfortably in the dishwasher with no room to spare. And no gecko will ever stick to it.** The only problem, it weighs 2.25 kg/5.5 pounds. By comparison my stainless steel rolling pin weighs 2 kg/4.4 pounds. Knowing the density of PTFE, 2.2 g/cm3, I could have calculated the weight. But I figured: "How heavy could plastic be?" In any event, the new pin arrived too late to roll the second half of the dough batch before dinner. *in some circles known as Teflon. **disclaimers and restrictions apply.
  7. Margaret Pilgrim

Dinner 2019

Home from the country via a 7 hour, multi-pit stop drive, meager fresh foods OH. Even less energy or interest in cooking. -> Grapefruit (Frozen, packaged) lobster ravioli. Package said = 2 1/2 portions, We ate the whole thing. Husband commented, "These are really good,"
  8. Anna, which size is your Kinto donabe? (Assuming, of course, you don't have more than one.)
  9. Nope - I was wrong - these are what I was thinking about -
  10. Darienne

Food recalls

Spoke to a friend on the phone this morning and they had been eating Salinas lettuce all last week and are fine. (I wouldn't have done it.) And later in our local library, the librarian told me she has a friend who had eaten some of the same brand without knowing of the problem and she has been ill for days. But then I have friends who still feed their dogs treats made in China....
  11. Yesterday
  12. Hi, Jake! Welcome to the forum. Nice looking website. Might I suggest a preliminary, introductory "landing page," explaining the website and blogs are new and will shortly be populated with entries? Any special focuses you're planning?
  13. @David Ross -- saving that one for sure. Do you see any reason why one couldn't freeze those after the putting the rolls on top of the caramel step, before the final rise? It occurs to me they'd be nice to gift frozen, so folks could put them out to thaw and rise the evening before to bake for breakfast....
  14. A few years back Chef Rubber carried a series of transfers with similarities to these custom ones.
  15. My wife and I will be in Christchurch for one night in about 2 weeks. Does anyone have any current recommendations of restaurants for dinner? We'd love something that serves local/seasonal or things that would be hard to find outside of New Zealand. Thank you!
  16. I created this sticky roll recipe years ago and have never changed the recipe. I remember when my nephew was about 5 he became really intrigued by this recipe which I always thought was funny. Every time I saw him he asked if we could make my caramel rolls. He grew to be a 6' 6" college basketball player and I also thought that was funny. This big guy still asking for caramel rolls. His son, my Grand Nephew, is not 15 months and I can't wait to make these rolls with him. (If I don't let his parents know he'll be knocked over by how sweet they are). Easy to make the only hard part is waiting for the two different stages of dough rising. I took some to the local gym the other morning to give to my early workout buddies. They loved them, but it was kind of odd handing these out before they worked out! Beware please. They are really decadent and sweet so you may have to eat one in about 4 different times during the day! Ingredients For the dough and filling- 3/4 cup warm water, 105-110 degrees 1 envelope dry yeast 4 tbsp. softened butter 1 large egg 1 tbsp. dry milk powder 2 1/2 cups bread flour 1/4 cup granulated sugar 1/2 tsp. salt 6 tbsp. melted butter 1/2 cup dark brown sugar 1/2 tsp. cinnamon 1/8 tsp. ground cloves 1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg For the caramel and nuts- 10 tbsp. butter 1 cup dark brown sugar 2 tbsp. light corn syrup 1 cup chopped pecans Instructions Make the dough- Pour the warm water into the bowl of a heavy mixer with the dough hook attached. Sprinkle the yeast over the water and stir to combine. Allow the yeast to start to activate and bubble, about 5 minutes. Add the softened butter, egg, dry milk, 2 cups of the bread flour, salt and pepper. Attach the dough hook and begin to combine the ingredients. The dough will be soft and sticky. Add additional flour just until the dough forms a very soft ball. Knead in the mixer until soft and elastic, about 8 minutes. Spray a large plastic tub with cooking spray and turn the dough into the tub. Loosely place the lid on the tub and place the dough in a warm place to rise and double in size. The dough should double in size in about 3 hours. Flour a work surface and turn the dough out of the bowl. Roll the dough into a rectangle about 10" x 14" and 1/3" thick. Brush the dough with the melted butter and sprinkle with the dark brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Beginning at the long edge, slowly roll-up the dough into a log. Pinch the ends of the dough log to seal the edges. Cut the dough log into 8 equal size rolls. Make the caramel and bake the rolls- Heat a saucepan over medium heat. Add the butter and melt. Once the butter is melted, stir in the brown sugar and corn syrup. Let the caramel come to a simmer and cook for 3 minutes. Pour the caramel into the baking dish and sprinkle the chopped pecans over the top. Place the sliced rolls on top of the pecans and caramel. Cover and let the rolls rise again until doubled, about one hour. Heat the oven to 325. Bake the rolls just until they start to turn golden brown, about 20 minutes. Remove the baking pan from the oven. Use a spatula to place the rolls on top of the cookie rack placed over a baking sheet. Spoon any caramel and nuts left in the baking panover the top of the rolls. Serve the rolls warm while the caramel is still hot and sticky. Recipe Notes These Caramel-Pecan Sticky Rolls are easy to re-heat the next day. Put them in the microwave and give about 30 seconds to re-melt the caramel. Or wrap in foil and re-heat in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes.
  17. An update/expansion of the Sunflower Crisp salad mix recall: https://www.inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-12-12/eng/1576180047004/1576180047316
  18. Yesterday I baked the last four. I decided to coat 2 of the molds with the beeswax mixture the other with butter. The ones coated in beeswax are on the left the ones coated in butter are on the right. They were baked at 400F for 70 minutes. Surprisingly , the ones coated in butter were shinier than the ones coated in beeswax and had the same crunch. I wasn't expecting that. Next up is the Pierre Herme recipe.
  19. I have arthritis in my hands and my right shoulder so I stopped using juicers that require force years ago. I have used electric juicers since. I had one, that was more expensive with a METAL REAMER that did not work as well as the plastic reamers - it was not as "sharp" as the plastic reamers. They have all worked just fine for me. Most have a "standard" sized plastic reamer and do a fine job, start reaming with pressure and reverse if there is a slight shift one way or another. The plastic reamers become less "sharp" with repeated heavy use and I do a lot of juicing of lemons for some things that I prepare regularly. For me they last about 4 years, maybe 5 and they are cheap enough that I can toss them and order another without agonizing about it. Currently I have a Black & Decker - I think the last one was also a Black & Decker, before than I had another INEXPENSIVE one, I think this one cost about $15.00 and the next one will be about the same. I did have one that was 10.99 one of Amazon's "gold box" specials, made by Aroma, that lasted longer than any of the others.
  20. I wanted to see Angelo Sosa and Kevin Gillespie Angelo: "I made luuuv to that duck. I basted it, caressed it, massaged it etc. etc. It's so sexy" [paraphrasing] Anthony Bourdain: "I have no idea what you are talking about. But it tastes great." [paraphrasing]
  21. Would you be able to post a picture of the black powder that you use to make the color cocoa butter?
  22. I'm surprised a Voltaggio is entered. I'd think he stands only to lose unless he wins it all.
  23. Just try again, with a new batch that hasn't been heated over 70C. The key, as @pastrygirl said above, is to generate crystals in your cocoa butter. These crystals are completely melted at 45C, so why bother going higher? You generate the crystals by cooling the cocoa butter *with movement*. So you either stir it as it cools or provide some other movement e.g. going through a spray gun. This stuff takes practice as well, don't lose enthusiasm if it doesn't work out immediately
  24. Thanks, @Toliver. Joe Sasto, Lee Ann Wong and Eric Adjepong were favorites of mine so I'll be looking forward to watching. Also glad to see that it looks like Gail will be back as a full-time judge.
  25. "Bravo's Top Chef Brings Back All Stars for New Season — See Who Will Be Returning to the Kitchen" This season is the second time they've had an All-Star cast. The article lists the contestants who will be appearing (reappearing?) this season.
  26. This is a great reference: Jean-Pierre Wybauw - "Fine Chocolates Gold" Teo
  27. Wow Excellent ! not to be a Noob : I used to get Excellent Results w Tj's Fz cannels w respect but they no longer carry them maybe in the Spring Ill join in and make my onw for go to France even better Mon treal cheers hopefully their is a snail on at least one face.
  1. Load more activity