• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. That's why you use a bubble tea straw
  3. I use this tape; never had a fail, nor needed a heat gun!
  4. I solved that one by getting molds big enough to hold the cherry! And they are huge
  5. Today
  6. Can't stand un-quite places. Back in the 60's, 70's 80's there was place, Golden Belle, in Billings, Mt. 1880's decor. The kitchen has "a" chef and several high school age helpers. During their sophomore year their tasks were: pearl diving, peeling veg., bussing. Junior year they learned to cook in the kitchen - think puppets on a string. In their senior year they learned table side - 7 flaming dinners and 7 flaming deserts. No talking, no listening, un-busy hand at the small of the back. Liebfraumilch, Caesar for 2(tableside), Butterfly (sauce diablo base)(flamed ts), wild rice/baked pot. Crêpes Suzette(flamed ts), and Coffee Don Juan (flaming). The Chef reviewed the school Report Cards before the parents did. In my book the food was 5*, the service was 5*. Every year the maitre d' - "Do you remember [name] from last year? Received a postcard, he's a sous chef/woking at [name] in San Fran/Denver/NO". ----------------------- Second on my list is the Shadowbrook, followed by Sudpfanne.
  7. heidih

kamaboku

I grew up with this stuff in the 60's !!! Neighbor's husband was Japanese. A childhood memory and maybe why I still like surimi in general. Any other Westerners have a memory or cooking use?. I generally use it in a salad prep. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamaboko
  8. I think goose might be an Asian delicacy also just like duck. Maybe there is a lower price at Asian supermarkets where the sale volume might be higher (so price could be lower)?
  9. Oh I've got 'dipped with stems' down. I just can't find cherries small enough to use in my molds.
  10. We need to get @Chocolot to teach you to dip the cherries on stems. @Matthew Hayday does a pretty respectable job as well! Far better than I do
  11. (as a nubie) there was an earlier post about not being able to get tape to stick to a mold. What if you were to coat the underside of the mask with a very thin layer of coco butter, warm and apply. Then if it sticks too well hit it with a heat gun just enough to peel it loose.
  12. It's not if you come to Kansas and have the licenses .
  13. Thank you so much! I do make the green apple ice in an ice cream maker, but if you look at the recipe, you'll see that @Lisa2k says you can do it in a shallow tray. I happen to have a little cheapo ice cream maker (a hand me down from my MIL's neighbor) that doesn't make very good ice cream, but comes out once a year to make THIS. 😁 I, too, love the fact that it is made with dried figs. The window for fresh figs is so small and it never comes along at the same time as good apples in my area. I love finding dried fig recipes! I hope you get a chance to make this and enjoy it. The recipe looks a little complicated and there are a few steps, but each step is really simple and most can be done ahead of time.
  14. Take away fat, skin and bones, $160 x 4 = $600 per goose. Don't get goosed. :-) Too bad, it's illegal to catch a Canada goose. dcarch
  15. Years ago (I'm now retired) my work took me to Germany several times - once for 90 days, once overnight. Pils, eh. Hefeweizen, ya, OK. Alt, omg I've found my love. Asbach Brandy Cherries - now I understand the word "addiction" (my drug of choice). Now I have a problem - no one in Colorado Springs carries them. On-line they're about $1.50 per (plus shipping). A few weeks ago, searching the web for CCC, I ran across a video - roll your own. "L", I can do that. (little did I know, but hey I'm not that smart). So Amazon: a couple of polycarb. molds, Walmart for wafers, cherries, etc and a week later - I guess the rule is "one must hide one's mistakes by eating them...". But after raising my blood sugar to around 780 and 27 youtube videos - hey those look ... passable. So, right now I'm looking for advice, direction: ie. even if I cut my cherries in half they just fit in the mold - sans fondant. If I make 2 batches, empty, add cherry and seal 2 half shells together... I don't have tempering down as they're not as shiny as they should be and my attempts at coco butter (colored) have been a disaster. That's why I'm here.
  16. What I enjoyed one year was an array of nut oils in smallish sizes as a gift pack. Have not been in a while. Shall see.
  17. Mine did not have the cat or dog calendars--only the chocolate version. On the other hand, it was truffle heaven at TJ's when I went this week. I got truffle powder, truffle sauce and Black Truffle Alfredo Sauce. Also they had their holiday sets of honeys in really nice varieties.
  18. I have just discovered the joys of buying duck at the Asian market. Mucho cheaper. Now, if I could find a good local source for Toulouse sausages...
  19. Yeah. It’s a shame. Goose is one of my favourite meats but it’s priced way out of my pocketbook now.
  20. Simple economics. Supply and demand. Few people want it, so the price goes up making even fewer people want it.
  21. Entirely possible -- Tiger does make bread machines in Japan, though they're better known for rice cookers here. I think the current Breville bread machine has folding paddles.
  22. Geese are a pain in the arse to raise (unlike chickens) - they are called "guard geese" for a reason. Plus the sales volume is low. The only reason ducks are cheaper now I think is because of our high Asian population who drive sales.
  23. I don’t have the answer for you but I do know it is always been extraordinarily expensive compared to other meats. It’s been many years since I purchased a goose for Christmas and at that time it was $60 and that wasn’t even premium goose but just from the supermarket. edited to add: One goose does not feed very many people so adding to the expense!
  24. Its like $160 for a goose at D'artagnan, which isn't a cheap place, but still.
  25. liuzhou

Dinner 2019

Made me some rou jia mo. Normally this variant is made with beef, but I didn't have any beef so used pork. Pork, freshly toasted and ground cumin seed, red and green chillies, garlic, Shaoxing wine, soy sauce. One of the trio.
  26. liuzhou

Dinner 2019

I truly hope you don't mind if I offer a slight tweak to your methodology, in order to make the finished dish edible.
  1. Load more activity