• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. BeeZee

Your spice cabinet

Pasilla chiles, rehydrated, would be great used in homemade enchilada sauce if you like Mexican food...
  3. JoNorvelleWalker

Dinner 2020

For round Swedish meatballs. Seriously. https://forums.egullet.org/topic/159240-a4-box-induction-cooker/?do=findComment&comment=2229532
  4. I'm interested in a recipe for ginger tea. Do you just steep ginger in hot water, or do you also add some black or green tea?
  5. JoNorvelleWalker

Dinner 2020

But the A4Box takoyaki pan is induction!
  6. Great. Thank you! I had a feeling it was the amount of fat.
  7. Margaret Pilgrim

Dinner 2020

Understand. Husband feels the same at Matt.
  8. Ann_T

Dinner 2020

@Margaret Pilgrim, I have saved a mushroom lasagna recipe that a friend gave me years ago. I'm not really a fan of lasagna, but I'm sure I would love a mushroom version. But unfortunately Matt doesn't like mushrooms. And it isn't like he doesn't keep trying. Every few years he will taste them again just in case his tastes have changed. Not so far.
  9. rotuts

Dinner 2020

I think @JoNorvelleWalker pointed these pans out a while go I have the 3.25" deep pan , and the 1.7" pan. they also have a 3" deep pan. better check ' around ' @Shelby or your Amazon history ! but two would be nice. a nano-watt bulb deep inside me went off and I checked first . what a tasty remember from @Ann_T that there is no excuse , except Sloth , to making Lasagna in the CSO.
  10. Didn’t see fish but yes to sprinkles - Apparently missed that picture set up tomorrow
  11. lindag

Dinner 2020

I got mine from Amazon. It's this one. Make sure you get the 8x10" to fit the CSO.
  12. Margaret Pilgrim

Dinner 2020

A future possibility, fpr Matt: mushroom ragu. Many years ago I invited a work associate and husband to dinner on a Friday night. Knowing his Friday meat proscription, I made a hearty sauce, substituting a ton of chopped portobello mushrooms for the meat and made an enormous lasagne. It was, I thought, sublime, cheesy, "meaty" and robust. Everyone chowed down except the husband who took a fork full and quietly ate all the sides. The next day I asked my friend about it and she said that he was obdurate in not eating meat on Friday. Wish I had asked the night before.
  13. Today
  14. Shelby

Dinner 2020

Brilliant! I see I'm going to be searching Amazon in a few minutes to see if they have this. Your lasagna looks wonderful. It was really warm yesterday (snow coming though YAY ) so Ronnie smoked a chicken. Potato salad Pesto pasta salad And baked beans
  15. kayb

eG Cook-Off #84: Ginger

Thanks for the candied ginger recipe, @andiesenji. I'll stock up on ginger next time I'm at the big Asian market (SO much cheaper there!) and try this. Have also saved the triple gingerbread recipe.
  16. Ann_T

Breakfast 2020!

Breakfasts from the past few days. Yesterday morning started off with a cappuccino at 4:00AM with a butter tart made by a friend's mom. Followed by burgers and fries a few hours later. Sunday, I put a pot of Pork Bolognese sauce on early morning. And Moe spaghetti for breakfast. Valentine's day Breakfast - Greek Ribs.
  17. Ann_T

Dinner 2020

Last night's dinner. I had promised Matt that I would make him lasagna in my new TeamFar lasagna pan. A gift from a friend. (Thank you @FauxPas). This pan is the perfect size for baking in the CSO. And deep enough for a four layer lasagna. Lasagna weighed 6 3/4 lbs not counting the pan. Matt doesn't eat meat so I made a four layer cheese lasagna. Moe and I had ours topped with the pork bolognese sauce.
  18. Thank you for the detailed comments on each title! I guess I'll finish Professional Baking, then look towards The Professional Pastry Chef and/or French Patisserie. I also actually have RLB's Baking Basics, but of course I'll need to put Baking Bible on my radar for more involved recipes. And the Kaffeehaus suggestion looks wonderful - I'll admit most of my (very limited) knowledge of pastries so far is mainly just French patisserie, but I want to ensure I'm not ignoring the rest of Europe and that looks like exactly what I want. Your suggestions are much appreciated!
  19. liuzhou

Dinner 2020

Had an excess of cooked rice so fried it with Hunan ham, egg, etc.
  20. Nopalito has a recipe for yogurt-based crema that's become my go-to since I usually have yogurt on hand. Start with: 1 cup whole-milk Greek yogurt 3 teaspoons lime juice 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt adjust lime and salt to taste
  21. The Dutch love their whipped cream and other dairy products. Cheese! Kerry did your hotel breakfast include smoked fish? Was there a section of sweet bread toppings... chocolate sprinkles, apple syrup, hazelnut spread, etc.? Looks like a nice breakfast selection. Hope you get to show us the rest of it soon. When does/did your setup for the show start?
  22. Great thread! A few hundred km from my spice cabinet, but I have managed to find some more or less hard to find stuff here in the UK I got the whole chillies on a whim - any ideas of what to do with them would be appreciated.
  23. The best book on the how and why is the one by Paula Figoni, so you already covered that. Some personal comments on some titles: Bo Friberg - "The Professional Pastry Chef" This is great for getting the correct foundations on classic pastry. Underscore "classic", nothing modern here, but you need foundations before building the roof. Ecole Ferrandi Paris - "French Patisserie" As Jo wrote, this is really good if you want an overview on both classic and modern. Regan Daley - "In the Sweet Kitchen" This is overlooked, but it's the only one that talks about how to work with flavors, all the others are technique based. Michel Suas - "Advanced Bread and Pastry" This has some great explanations about bread and viennoiserie, it's for professionals though. The other sections are skippable. Wayne Gisslen - "Professional Baking" I liked it quite much, but if you have the ones by Friberg and Suas then you won't find much more knowledge. The Culinary Institute of America - "Baking and Pastry: Mastering the Art and Craft" It's good but not as much as the ones above, if you have the ones above then it's redundant. Nick Malgieri - "How to Bake" I gave it a look but did not impress me enough to spend money on it. Sarah Labensky - "On Baking" Same as Malgieri. French Culinary Institute - "The Fundamental Techniques of Classic Pastry Arts" This was a big disappointment, I really regret having spent money on it. Jacquy Pfeiffer - "The Art of French Pastry: A Cookbook" I had the chance to give it a read and it did not seem any better than the one by the French Culinary Institute. There many other books in this vein, like the ones by Cordon Bleu, Richard Bertinet, Philippe Urraca, Eric Keyser... Neither one of them impressed me after a quick look, so I left them there since I already have many more than I really need. Once you have 3-4 titles of this kind you are really covered. Beware I'm talking about the explanations, not the recipes. I never tried any recipe from these books. If you are looking for recipes for the home use, then these 2 are classics: Rose Levy Beranbaum - "The Baking Bible" Rose Levy Beranbaum - "The Cake Bible" If you like Austrian and Hungarian pastries then this is a must: Rick Rodgers - "Kaffeehaus: Exquisite Desserts from the Classic Cafés of Vienna, Budapest, and Prague" Teo
  1. Load more activity