• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. you'll get close. both pancake and waffle recipes come in variations of ". . . . add melted butter / oil . . ." for 'bare' cast iron/aluminum my experience has been . . . they require when hot, pre-bake, brushed on oil/butter in the first months time. eventually, the fat builds up the slick polymer layer - but they will always need an oil/melted butter component to the recipe. there is a myth that non-stick coated plates don't require oil/butter in the mix. it's a myth . . . I do both baking powder and yeasted/Liege waffles using a non-stick - but a bit of butter makes for perfection. frankly I think the melted butter does a better job - at making for non-stick as well as for taste.
  3. Service delivery is 240V single split-phase with neutral wire, most circuits/outlets get half a phase. Certain appliances like electric ovens and dryers get high current 240V outlets. Since lower amperage 240V sockets aren't common (even though they are standard https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEMA_connector), nobody builds appliances for them, and so nobody installs them, and we complete the circle of dumb.
  4. Today
  5. Just saws this recipe this morning on CI. I can get the flour from Amazon so I'll be giving it a try. If anyone wants the recipe I can PM it to you.
  6. I’m enjoying The Dish with Kish too. Partly because I love watching Kish, and partly because I enjoy the behind the scenes and more informal vibe. And it’s fun seeing past favorite chefs again.
  7. NadyaDuke

Breakfast 2024

Used up some of the leftover chicken schnitzel (see Dinner thread) in a grilled sandwich with sharp cheddar. If I’d been thinking I would have added a relish, like the onion jam I bought on a whim.
  8. NadyaDuke

Breakfast 2024

Looks prettier than mine! Would you do the slow fried egg again?
  9. gulfporter

Dinner 2024

Indian curry with lime pickle, mango chutney, yogurt and cilantro.
  10. NadyaDuke

Dinner 2024

@Norm Matthews I’m definitely going to try a cut down version - thanks!
  11. liamsaunt

Dinner 2024

Spinach malfatti pomodoro.
  12. The vegetarians I know eat cheese (and wear leather, but not fur). I suspect that this is because originally, they were unaware of the rennet element, and if and when they did find out about it, they figured they may as well go on eating cheese. This is just my hypothesis: I've never asked! The vegetarians I know best (including everyone else in my immediate family, lifetime vegetarians) are neither intrusive nor political about it, so I've seen no point in bothering them about this.
  13. Just curious, @MetsFan5, do they offer you any way to provide feedback on the meals? Personal taste is one thing but burnt pasta or pasta soup sounds like a real failure of their products that I’d hope they'd want to correct. It is interesting that the pasta meals are their most popular as quick pasta dishes are my go-to meals to toss together in a hurry so I probably wouldn’t pick them. Thanks for all the updates!
  14. I have tried various sets from the meals. The Udon is as good but the rest is absolute trash. To be fair, I don’t have high expectations but one time the pasta burnt at the top and the other time it came out like a soup. That said, the proteins cooks well and are juicy and flavorful. From my experiences the over steams most of the time and then bakes and sometimes broils. Their Asian centric meals to me have been the best. Yet the pasta meals are there most popular. As someone who tends to make sauce from scratch I know I should stay away from Italian (for lack of a better term) meals.
  15. Rennet essentially remains in the whey so it is present in very limited amounts in the final cheese, but it is enough to generate concerns for those who don't want to enjoy dead animal products in their food. That's why it makes rennet-made cheese "not vegan" or "not vegetarian", but it is ok for "flexi..." or whatever terminology is correct to define those who does not negate all animal based products the right to be digested inside their stomachs (I often got lost, in case of doubt and need, I would directly ask regarding the product as much specific as I can )
  16. Well I'll keep my eyes open for the 'Home' arriving as a 240V unit. Breville are very limited to what information they will give to the public. I have a number of Breville appliances now (all good...have no problems with them apart from price...being a little high), good design usually & seem to go the distance. Personally, I think if the price difference was only US$300 & the benefit was basically automated programs I would have to think hard if I needed to purchase another unit going forward. The unit is smaller, they use a 'polymer' inside frame as opposed to metal, from the little I've seen the interface appears 'fussy' (as opposed to the clear pan / set temp screen of the commercial) but this is all summation because we don't know all the facts as yet. I'm lucky I have plenty of bench space to accomodate the larger foot print commercial unit, I don't find it particularly noisy (maybe when it is ramping up to deep fry it's noticable) & I have managed to save many programs for recall in the 'create' storage area. Anyway early days for me & nice to chat.
  17. That's interesting. I wasn't aware 240V was available to all households...as the majority of your appliances would be 120V, how does it work ? Are the outlets switchable or are there dedicated 240V outlets scattered throughout the house. When thinking about it, a cooker (oven/hotplates) would need more than 120V, aircon would be the same. I upgraded my house electrical system to 3phase about 15 years back when I installed a central aircon unit (415V 26kW reverse cycle) but of course I still have the normal 240V outlets throughout the house apart from a dedicated 415V outlet I had put in the garage. (handy for welders & heavy equipment etc) I would be doubtfull Brevelle uses a switching transformer, my box the unit came in specifically indicates 240V for the Aust / NZ market, but a look inside could be worth the trouble. For what its worth here is the compliance info on the bottom of the unit...I left the letters preceeding the serial # in the pic incase it's of interest. Another interesting point is, Breville don't sell this unit directly to the public on their website here or NZ. They are available but through a hotel / hospitality equipment suppier. It was no problem I ordered on a Monday & received on the Wednesday. Delivery included the unit was A$2049 which at the moment equates to US$1322 so pricing is similar.
  18. I will try to do it as soon as possible ... usually my wife or my mother cooks the meals for us ... so i never tried to learn cooking properly ... but maybe next year i will have to move to a different country and then i will have to cook food for myself ... so i better start learning this without wasting much time ... Thanks for your cooking tips
  19. Honkman

Dinner 2024

Mushroom stew with cremini, white mushrooms, portobello, shiitake and oyster, shallots, garlic, thyme, paprika, rosemary, coriander, tomato paste, cilantro, chickpea flour (which gave a really nice velvety texture) and vegetable broth
  20. Here's what's on my aluminum sheet pan, the stuff is slick and nothing sticks to it. It's also quite resilient, hasn't come off despite scrubbing for several years now. Is this a reasonable goal on the waffler? Somehow, I suspect it won't be possible...
  21. haresfur

Dinner 2024

Yes, I'd call that a schnitzel, or in the vernacular of my country, "a schnitty"
  22. That's interesting. I did a quick check for recipes and found a few. Seems easy enough to make but it would be nice to compare them with what you come up with. Thanks so much.
  23. If you did end up with extra apple butter, you can use it in cake or muffin recipes. Do a Google search for baking with apple butter or apple butter in cakes, etc. Or ask here for a recipe! 🙂
  24. There is also something called applestroop, or apple syrup. If you're interested, I can find a Dutch recipe for you tomorrow. It tends to have fewer spices and may be better as a glaze than apple butter.
  25. Thanks so much for your suggestions and info. I will start with a small batch on the stovetop, and keep it simple for the first batch. The recipe you've linked to seems like it will be a good starting point.
  26. Thanks so much for the link and the translation. For some reason, truly unknown to me, I thought the origins of apple butter were in England. Since I've only had apple butter once, probably about 50 years ago, and never as a glaze of any sort, I really don't know what I'm looking for. However, when I make apple sauce, I like to keep it simple, and never add sugar or flavorings with the sometimes exception of a touch of lemon juice. I'll start simply with a small batch on the stovetop. I don't own a slow cooker, although I understand that the Instant Pot can be used as one. Maybe I'll look into that. Anyway, thanks again.
  27. YvetteMT

Dinner 2024

Elk steak, mushrooms, scalloped potatoes
  1. Load more activity