• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Sadly the guy I got my cello bags from closed his business about a year ago.
  3. Kim Shook

Costco

We eat so much Costco chicken that I have a dedicated freezer bag for Costco chicken carcasses. When it gets full, I make stock.
  4. Kim Shook

Potato Chips!

We saw Mac n Cheese chips in the store yesterday and were a bit perplexed. In a chip wouldn't macaroni and potato taste basically the same? So they really are cheese chips?
  5. I have to wonder if these cause as much excess acid as the real duo does.
  6. I am going to be selling some confections at a local xmas market and am looking for some packaging suggestions - I was looking at the celo bags on chocolat-chocolat and wondering what size people have had success with in the past. I am looking at selling chocolate bark, mixed nut brittle and english toffee in a bag for $5 price point - any suggestions appreciated. The sizes I am looking at are roughly 4"x8" or 5"x10" or 5"x12". TIA
  7. You know what? I had to go ahead and try before I saw your answer and I ended up doing them on bake/steam at the recommended temp on the package and they were PERFECT. I find convection sometimes dry things out even if I back off the temp a bit. I've been experimenting with bake/steam a lot lately.
  8. Toliver

Potato Chips!

"Lay's Newest Flavor Is Grilled Cheese And Tomato Soup, So It's About To Get Real Cozy 'Round Here" Please take one for the team and report back if you find them.
  9. Well, at least it's a start. Ideally everyone will negotiate in good faith and perhaps a problem that has existed since the Spanish arrived can at least start to be resolved. Or is that too much to ask right now, given that there are centuries of mistrust and abuse to overcome? Nancy in Pátzcuaro
  10. Today
  11. Toliver

Costco

My Costco also sells just the cooked meat from the rotisserie chickens. I forget the cost but I believe it's a 2-pound package. When I get it home I just cut it in half and throw them in the freezer. Then when I need chicken meat for enchiladas, pot pies, stews, etc, I just take out one of the halves and let it thaw. Easy peasy. When buying a whole rotisserie chicken where you just want the meat, the trick is to remove the meat from the still-warm bird (after you've washed your hands, of course). If you refrigerate the chicken, the meat will stick like glue to the bones.
  12. Toliver

Food recalls

"Publix recalls Deli White American Cheese: It may contain foreign material"
  13. It's a dreary, foggy day here in Wellfleet. Luckily, the weather looks better for the rest of our stay. Yesterday we had a late lunch at Winslow's Tavern. We ordered a mix of new items and old favorites. Drinks--a crush and blush, and a new drink called the Last Word. It was....odd. It had gin, luxardo cherry, and benedictine. I would not get that drink again. The usual roasted oysters A tuna tartar. The tuna was an odd color and lacked in flavor. I don't think it was local, which is weird. Pear apple salad Burger with prosciutto and blue cheese crab burger Wild mushroom pasta with truffled egg Squid pasta Butternut squash and crispy lamb belly soup Niece of course ordered the triple chocolate mousse for dessert. We have been here so many times that the waitress did not even ask, she just brought it over Nephew had a malva pudding This morning my sister and I took the teens to breakfast at the Wicked Oyster. Niece got french toast, which she started eating before I got a picture. Nephew had blueberry pancakes Sister ordered an omelet stuffed with bacon, sour cream, and avocado I had chilaquiles Sister and niece left after breakfast because niece has school tomorrow. They will be back Friday. My brother and my husband's brother are leaving shortly and will be back Thursday night. So, it's just me, my husband, and my nephew for the next few days.
  14. Duvel

Dinner 2019

In the two weeks I am back in Germany, I probably consumed an entire pig as Mett ... its just the perfect food !
  15. ... Oh...my. I have no words. But I do have a question. You cook the apples in the caramel in the oven for 1.5 hours at 400F? I'd'a never thunk it. Looks like the sugar would burn. But obviously you have it down to a science. Saving this one.
  16. kayb

Breakfast 2019

Much as I love my pug Lucy, she ain't getting the remains of the runny yolk. She does love eggs, though; periodically I'll boil her one for a treat.
  17. I never thought about their being such a thing as pork brisket. I'd corn it, SV it, then coat it in coriander and black pepper and smoke it. Pork pastrami! Anything that's a frozen food that I want crispy, I do on convection. Just comes out crispier, to my mind.
  18. That's a bit misleading, actually - what's happened is that the Government has agreed to strike Decree 883, which contained not only the gas subsidies that the North American media fixated on, but also the other austerity conditions including cuts to temporary contract workers' salaries (these people are overwhelmingly indigenous), the opening of native lands to mining and gas concession, and a host of other measures that disproportionally hit the most impoverished sectors of the country. The striking of Decree 883 is only the opening of peace talks: it was the basic condition demanded by CONAIE (the indigenous federations) to come to the table. Roads are now partially opened in some areas of the country, although my own city remains largely isolated, but it's still a huge sigh of relief. However, the indigenous leaders have signalled that this is still only the first step - it's not over until everything has been hashed out, and a new deal can be hammered out that doesn't put the majority of the burden of austerity on the backs of those least able to support it.
  19. I'm sorry. I didn't pick up on that. Please forgive.
  20. it was a bit of a joke. pls ignore. sorry
  21. mgaretz

Dinner 2019

Shrimp (cold) over wilted spinach, with warm, roasted beets, sherry vinaigrette dressing (also warm) and pistachios.
  22. Wine is lost on me. I do not drink wine voluntarily.
  23. I'm not sure your meaning? I was a Prime member for many years before the WF purchase. Amazon shows my earliest purchase from them is books in 1998. I buy lots of merchandise thru Amazon and use the Prime Video entertainment offerings (I am a cord cutter and do not pay for traditional cable). I amortize with the convenience of getting the things I want when and where I want them. Not having to drive around to 3-4 stores to locate something or being on endless phone hold with a brick and mortar store when a sales associate forgets about you. I buy what I need and what I want, within the means I have. Nothing I purchased recently was something I won't use. I am an Amazon stock holder, in my 401k and other funds. I think its OK they do well for me in all aspects.
  24. @lemniscate certain " table wines " I think are excellent value at TJ's their Varnish-Shaw's wine keeps Tj's in business not for us. for me a Table-Wine is inexpensive , dry , no oak , and no ' benzene ' I define ' benzine ' as flavors , chemical like , that don't reming me of grapes. I prefer grape flavor , not so much cherries , tobacco , etc. these are not chit-chat wines , but decent ones to enjoy w a meal andy meal , or while Re=Hydrating studying e.g..
  25. There are some things I consistently buy at TJ's. I will try lots of the new offerings all the time, but there are some things that always come home with me. My go-to's at TJ's over the years are their jarred Salsa Verde. It's a tomatillo based salsa. I like their cottage cheese a lot. The flax seed corn chips. The white cheddar popcorn (probably not dental work friendly at the moment for you @Shelby) The little tiny stroopwafels called caramel bites are great. I like the frozen mango chunks. I like their TJ's rebranded Unibroue beers (Providential, Audiciter, Vintage Ale) so good and so inexpensive for Unibroue. Gerolsteiner mineral water. The dried pineapple rings, mango slices, coconut cashews, roasted sunflower seeds......the nut and dried fruit offerings are really good. +1 on the Chimay cheese, it's buttery. Unexpected Cheddar is so good. The aged Goudas they offer. They have a good version of Pub Cheese spread. Easy to go a little crazy in their cheese bin. The Everything Crackers and Cornbread crisps to go with the cheeses. Their tricolor radiattore pasta is my favorite shape ever. I like their canned Marinara pasta sauce. The garlic stuffed olives. I don't buy the fresh meats, prepared meals or sandwiches or salads at TJ's. I know people really like their frozen pizzas and orange chicken. I don't buy those things either. I usually only buy fresh apples at TJ's when they carry the Jazz variety. Wine seems to fly out the door at TJ's. I see people buying cases every time I shop.
  26. rotuts

Dinner 2019

@Ann_T Tow of my three favorite food groups : Hot Turkey and Trimmings Club Sandwich's and the one not represented : Mea Loaf dinner w trimmings in my case Turkey rather than Beef Loaf : TML.
  27. As far as Prime Membership goes for me...I split it with my parents. So I definitely make up the cost. I buy more at Whole Foods now simply because of the sale deals. They became competitive on the items that I often buy. I never considered it my primary grocer, I continue to use it for selected items. And since I eat lunch there at times, the $2 off the salad and hot bar from 11-2 during the week is a nice bonus deal.
  1. Load more activity