• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. I found this article about arancino/arancina really interesting
  3. liuzhou

Cooking plain old chips

Hey, can we please remember that Yukon Gold potatoes are American and seldom available elsewhere (or only at high prices)! I'm fairly certain the OP is British (going by some language and the use of Celsius temperatures) where YG potatoes are far from mainstream. No one where I am has even heard of them! I would suggest it is better to refer to specific traits of the potatoes rather than one cultivar. Waxy, floury, etc. For what it's worth Maris Piper are my go to variety for chips in the UK. (King Edwards are OK , too). Not that I've lived there for decades.
  4. Today
  5. JoNorvelleWalker

The Bread Topic (2016-)

This week's bread... was weird. It wouldn't mix. In my defense I had just come home from the doctor and I was a little out of it. Not sure where I went wrong. I had to do several folds by hand to build the necessary strength. Note the bread never got very brown, even with additional time in the oven. Some things I do not understand. Tasted OK though.
  6. JoNorvelleWalker

Dinner 2019

No, I am not stalking my friend @chefmd For one thing amazon sold this to me as a ribeye.* Contrary to the label it didn't even taste dry aged. For another, contrary to @chefmd I cooked mine before serving: Bearnaise: Satisfactory, but I don't care for possibly-dry aged strip steak being pawned off as dry-aged ribeye. *Amazon awarded me a $5.00 credit.
  7. It's gariguette season, so the fraisiers are going to keep on coming. No kids involved this time, though. It was too hot to bake anything, so the base is a failed combination of diced madeleine, white chocolate, butter and lemon zest. Way too dense, and I should have known better. The rest is as normal, and as good Fraisier (with some lemon) Gariguette strawberries White chocolate chantilly Madeleine concoction Candied citron I'll keep trying with a no-bake base, but I think I'll need a completely different approach. It'll be difficult to get the softness, and I don't want to add any crunch at all.
  8. Duvel

Dinner 2019

Picture perfect ...
  9. Duvel

Grub Street Jessica Knoll

I like the write up too ... but somehow the notion of “cold brew with almond milk” doesn’t go well with me. Must be a big city thing 😉
  10. Excellent, I love pryanik - but I've only ever had the commercial stuff. Could you send me your recipe? I'd love to try it
  11. Ann_T

Dinner 2019

Baked Bagels today. For dinner.
  12. Here you go! Make sure to read the intro notes - I did some things differently from the original recipe.
  13. MArkF

Cooking plain old chips

Couple of things.... Make sure the the potatoes are rinsed well in cold water. Dry them after.Too much starch on the chip will cause them to brown too quick. Make sure they are at room temperature. If to cold on the inside, it will take longer to cook. Also, do not cut your chips too thick. I had that cause trouble too. Here in California, most prefer to rinse/soak...1st cook at 160C until soft and rubbery followed by 180C until brown and crispy. I appreciate that you do not want to double fry, but make the best French fries. I make both fires and chips this way with Yukon golds with no issues. mark
  14. Chocolot

funnel dispenser

They are just under an inch. With chocolate, they are at least an inch. The caramel just pops out. They don't deform unless I have undercooked my batch. They are from Chef Rubber and about $100 each. There are three of them in the pix. They are also great with meltaways. There are 88 pieces per mold.
  15. Wonderful article by George Mahe, Rob! The Post-Dispatch piece is blocked...says I am using an ad blocker. I am not.* One less rag I would ever wish to read. *I do use an ad blocker on my iPad. But this is not my iPad.
  16. I love collards but I have only recently been introduced to them. Recipe?
  17. Made collards again in the IP for Easter dinner: Seriously, the best collards I've ever made.
  18. Carnitas, made in the IP Mini, then broiled. Some sauce from the pot spooned back over. Served with Spanish rice and refried beans.
  19. mgaretz

Dinner 2019

A few recent meals. Tri-tip hash with potatoes, onions and spinach: Panko-crusted pork chops, air-fired in the BSOA with tater-tots (same time, temp and pan) and steamed spinach with butter. Carnitas, made in the IP Mini and then broiled and sauced, served with Spanish rice and refried beans.
  20. Okanagancook

Farmers Markets 2018

Well, you will just have to move out here to paradise! Does the Niagara region produce enough fruit to supply southern Ontario....as a kid growing up in Toronto, I do remember Niagara fruit and also travelling there looking at the rows and rows of fruit trees whiz by the car window.
  21. ElsieD

Farmers Markets 2018

Sadly, peaches, apricots and cherries don't grow around here.
  22. Okanagancook

Farmers Markets 2018

I love this. We have the same thing around here with eggs, peaches, apricots and cherries.
  23. Okanagancook

Pan-roasted duck breast

Reporting back....wow, the duck breasts were quite large from premium ducks from the Frazier Valley just east of Vancouver. I did an equilibrium brine for a day and left them uncovered in the fridge to dry for 12 hours. They were put in a cold cast iron pan...two breasts per pan, and cooked on low for about 20 to 25 minutes draining the fat a couple of times. They were flipped and cooked for about 3 minutes until the requisite 125 F, then put on a rack covered loosely to rest for 10 minutes. Served with plums cooked in red wine and some spices such as allspice, cloves and cinnamon; Marcella Hazel polenta, stirred love’nly for the whole time and roasted endive plus green salad. It was outstanding. Probably the best duck I have had and most of this due to the quality of the meat. The skin was rendered beautifully.
  24. ElsieD

Farmers Markets 2018

Yesterday we came across this unmanned stall with a cash box. There were three sizes of maple syrup for sale, all being sold on the honor system. A little later I stopped at my egg farm place where I bought 4 dozen free range eggs, also on the honor system. Usually the chickens are running around outside (no boundaries) but yesterday they were inside. Not enough to,peck away at yet, I guess.
  25. Okanagancook

Easter Menus

Isn’t it great when you take a chance on a new recipe and it turns out to be brilliant.
  26. Toliver

Easter Menus

I roasted a small prime rib for Easter thanks to a local grocery store's coupon. If ever I meet Martha Stewart, I will kiss her toes for her prime rib recipe which I found on the internet. While I used my mom's herb rub on the roast, I used Martha's cooking times and the prime rib turned out perfectly. The crust was crunchy and "crackley" and the interior was a nice medium rare.
  27. Okanagancook

Dinner 2019

Very photogenic!
  1. Load more activity