• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. You know that’s not the way we work!
  3. But is there fan noise or not? As much as I adore my Paragons I wouldn't situate one on my dining table. (I infer you don't often serve takoyaki nor cheese fondue.)
  4. Margaret Pilgrim

Dinner 2019

Low energy led to a fruit bowl and fridge crawl ->: mango, brown sugar and chili Redux of tri-tip, sliced and flash seared, hash-browns, zucchini pancake with salsa and sour cream ] eta. yes, husband likes a little butter on his hash-browns...
  5. Looks delicious! Will try to do this. Many thanks.
  6. To me it feels like an induction version of my large electric skillet. I'm not in the market for such a thing, but I can certainly see the utility of it.
  7. I don’t see the point unless you’re like @Smithy and are traveling much of the time and don’t have access to a full size kitchen. Does that help?
  8. Today
  9. Will no one save me from myself?
  10. No doubt I should have more closely RTFM. I will play around with it some more, but keep the caramels on the range for now.
  11. And honestly if it's really an amazing bottle of Cab, a 2017 is rather young to drink.
  12. At the moment the only way I'd be tempted is if the A4 were silent in operation. Is it?
  13. As reported earlier in the thread with the Paragon set to 375F (190C) in rapid precise mode, I measured 201C with my thermocouple. That accuracy was more than acceptable for my purpose. For applications where accuracy is important I would not suggest using rapid mode. (The instruction booklet says the same thing.)
  14. I bought that same pan about a year ago, it’s a bargain for that price. Sorry it’s so costly there.
  15. Yesterday
  16. @robirdstx, look at that crust. Love all the blisters.
  17. That same pan is $17.99 on Amazon.com and $63.58 on Amazon Canada.
  18. I took the plunge and bought one a few weeks ago - I could not resist the price. It has taken the place of my old Burton unit and I have not looked back. So far I have used it primarily for eggs (specifically that wonderful fried pita and scrambled egg dish that @Anna N found) and grilled cheese sandwiches, which are so foolproof it’s dangerous. Tonight I wanted to put the probe through its paces so I decided to make a batch of @Kerry Beal’s EGCI caramel. Typically when I make it on the stovetop, the sugar/glucose hardly colors at all during the first cook (to 145c/293f), and the final product is a light-to-medium caramel color. Using the Paragon on Rapid Precise, it developed quite a bit of color in the first phase of cooking - distinctly amber with a definite toasted sugar fragrance - and was quite deep in color by the end of the second stage (121c/250f). I ended up sticking my usual probe thermometer in the pot as it cooked, and when the paragon finally reached 250 my trusty probe read 273! The final product is quite dark - several shades darker than normal. I kept a little bit outside the frame to check flavor and texture. It has quite a dark caramel flavor, not bitter but getting close. I was pleasantly surprised by the texture, which is chewy and not too stretchy and dissolves quite quickly without getting stuck in the teeth overmuch. I figured it was possible my probe was affected by the induction, so I put some water in another pan and set it to 212 on Rapid Precise, with both my probe and the Paragon probe. When the water was at a full boil my thermometer read 212, but the Paragon didn’t get above 210 even after several minutes. Not sure if that’s an acceptable variation, but I think I will stick to my stovetop for my next batch of caramel.
  19. @blue_dolphin, it's also possible those clerks didn't know good wine! In that case I'm being irresponsible repeating that story. Please report back when you try the wine!
  20. Roughly based on my recipe for lemon cake. This makes one not very large cake in a 25x10 cm (10x5 inch) pan. Please tell me if you make it - I really hope that you will like it! For pecan mixture: 35g toasted pecans, finely chopped (you want them large enough to have texture in the cake) 35g dark brown sugar 1 tsp cinnamon 1 tsp cocoa powder Topping: A handful of whole or chopped raw pecans Maple syrup for glazing (apx. 4 tsp) For batter: 140g white flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 2 large eggs 170g light brown sugar (I substitute with a mix of half dark brown sugar and half white sugar) 1/4 teaspoon salt 1 medium apple (not too tart - I used a Gala apple), peeled and cut into small dice (apx. 150g0 200g sour cream 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon 1/2 teaspoon vanilla paste/extract optional: A small amount of maple flavor extract optional: A few drops of almond extract Method: Heat oven to 170 deg C (340 deg F). Grease one the cake pan. Mix together the pecans with cinnamon, cocoa and sugar. Set aside. Prepare 2 mixing bowl: one of them should be quite large. In the smaller bowl, mix flour and baking powder. In the large bowl, beat the eggs with sugar and salt until the sugar is melted and the mixture is aerated. Mixin the sour cream, apple, cinnamon and extracts. Sieve flour and baking soda mixture over the liquids. Fold from the bottom up just until uniform. Do not over mix. Pour half of the batter into the greased pan. Sprinkle the pecan mixture evenly. Pour the rest of the batter on top. Cover with the raw pecans. Bake for apx 50-60 minutes. A skewer should come out cleanly. The cake should rise and get a tan color. Avoid over baking. Brush the cake with maple syrup. Let cool a little. I find the cake to taste best when it's slightly warm. Serve with tea or coffee. Keep covered or wrapped in nylon. You may heat it briefly, if serving on following days.
  21. KennethT

Dinner 2019

Fantastic!
  22. Well, if that's the case, no one should feel like they were missing out on anything. And don't feel so bad that I wasn't able to get more. I did go to another TJ's store. They had received 9 cases of the wine on Friday night and it was all gone by mid-day on Saturday, although I did see a case behind the counter with a note that said, "Save for Customer." The staff at the 2nd store raved about it, too. Along the lines of different tastes, I had a miss with these Raspberry Stars. $4.99 for the box. It wasn't apparent to me from looking into the box that these are sandwich cookies so I was surprised when I got them home and opened the box. Also, I was expecting a thinner, firmer shortbread but these are just thick, soft and so tender. You can't break a piece off, they just smush into crumbs. I had my doubts about them back at the store, but the gal who pointed them out couldn't stop raving about them so I decided to give them a try. A different young woman at the checkout told me they were the best cookies and she was in love with them. The flyer suggested dipping them into melted chocolate. I'm afraid that would just be a waste of chocolate.
  23. Yeah. That's my take on it.
  24. heidih

Dinner 2019

We have a local Ikebana master. https://southcoastbotanicgarden.org/event/ikebana-flower-arranging/2020-01-21/
  25. robirdstx

Lunch 2019

Pork Fried Rice
  1. Load more activity