• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Shelby

Dinner 2019

A couple of meals. It's getting hard to think of new meal ideas that I can eat (needs to be soft, no salad...no crunch) and not bore Ronnie to tears lol. I think he's had his fill of pasta (but he's probably getting that tonight...lol) Anyway, been doing a lot of things with venison burger. Stroganoff, goulash..stuff like that. Needed scalloped potatoes after seeing @gfweb's Venison meatloaf to go with Last night surf and turf--venison steak for Ronnie and shrimp for me....I cheated and tried to eat a bit of steak too. You should see how long it took me. I was still sitting at the table this morning when Ronnie got up for hunting lol (kidding). my sad little plate lol Yes. The sprouts are cooked to death. But I can eat them that way I MISS SALAD.
  3. Hi. Remember me? I can't believe it's been since June that I've made any whole wheat bread. My poor mill has been staring at me all this time, wondering what it did to deserve such non-usage. I can only say that the garden did so good that I canned a lot lot lot and then my periodontal stuff has kicked my butt. I didn't realize how bad I felt for such a long time until I got on antibiotics. Ahhhhh the wonders of medicine lol. Anyway. I put an end to my mill's misery and made bread yesterday . I decided to go with the Serious Eat's recipe again--and the 4th time would have been the charm had I not screwed up and forgot to add water and oil in the last step (banging head against table repeatedly). I can't believe I did that. I realized my mistake right after I put the dough in the pan to rise for the last time. The dough felt really good so I decided to go ahead and bake. Dough after second rise I'm not sure my screw up really hurt too much thankfully..... I'm back on the bread wagon and I'm going to try new grains and recipes next.
  4. Pain de Mie for my eldest grandson's lunch sandwiches at school - he doesn't like to eat the school dinners. Daft boy! My wife and I walked up with it to his home, and there were two first for us; (1) eldest grandson (5 years old) read us a book for the first time, and (2) youngest grandson (1year old) walked for 14 steps for the first time. Two very proud grandparents...
  5. Anna N

Breakfast 2019

I suspect you may well be right. All I had on hand were breadcrumbs made from the equivalent of Wonder bread. Sad.
  6. If it's plain cheese and looks OK and smells OK, I'd probably give it a taste and see. I'd be more wary of a cheese with inclusions like peppers and stuff. You can also consider whether you want to take advice from someone who cut mold off all sides of a piece of Cabot extra sharp cheddar, grated up the clean remains and put it in my breakfast yesterday 🙃
  7. Today
  8. kayb

Mixing bowls

I wondered when I read that on another thread what in the name of God you were going to do with that large a bowl. Except, it would be excellent for mixing up large quantities of Chex mix.
  9. Super Moon Bakehouse at @Alleguede’s request Not quite as good as last visit We will be weighing that stray croissant when we get back
  10. Might be a little more than my budget given that I seem to have to buy meals for four people every single time we’re out!
  11. https://ny.eater.com/2019/5/29/18638988/kawi-momofuku-hudson-yards-david-chang-restaurant-review-eunjo-park
  12. Kerry Beal

Breakfast 2019

I think the choice of breadcrumbs matters a lot. The first time I made it it was much more impressive than the second time
  13. Ann_T

Dinner 2019

@robirdstx, best photo of a baked potato. Moe had asked for a salad for dinner. So I stopped on my way to work and picked up some shrimp and made him an Avocado and Shrimp salad for dinner. Found @Okanagancook,s instructions on how to cook shrimp in the steam oven. And blueberry pie for dessert.
  14. Margaret Pilgrim

Dinner 2019

In a good way or bad way? Grated,, salted, rinsed and squeezed, sauteed in butter.
  15. Anna N

Breakfast 2019

Had to try the eggs with breadcrumbs and vinegar. Not nearly as enamoured of it as others seem to be.
  16. thank you again for the menus. I get to pretend what I might order and not have to deal w """" NYC """"" Sweet enough for now My OS is not quite up to snuff yet for further comment.
  17. I don't know if there are published spectrum data for these COB chips other than "cool white" and "warm white". I have both, but mostly I use cool white. They seem to work well. I use them almost year round. In the winter for growing salads, and spring for starting seedlings. None has failed so far. In my setup, I use two chips per fixture. that's 300 watts total. That does generate a lot of heat. So a heavy duty heatsink and powerful fan is a must. 110V muffin fans are not powerful enough, You can find cheap used powerful 12vDC computer room rack fans on ebay (mine was $3.00 each). However, they are noisy, so I used a 12vDC power supply + an adjustable low voltage regulator(controller) to slow down the fans. I was lucky to have found (ebay) those heatsinks. Actually it was one huuuuge heatsink that I cut to size. I use two fans in case one fails. That would instantly fry the LED chips. Those half -round clear plastic round lenses work well to focus the chips (ebay). 300 watts of LED can light up your whole apartment. May be you can get by with 50W to 100W. You can buy them rather them making them. dcarch
  18. On sale at Amazon today for $12.94 hardcover. I am a Prime member, so your price may vary.
  19. liuzhou

Dinner 2019

I bought some live wild prawns in the market, so Prawn Fried Rice.
  20. There are trains. I wouldn’t do it. NJ transit is unreliable at its best and down right awful in general.
  21. I was about to say the same thing. It’s -4° in her hometown right now!
  22. Duvel

Dinner 2019

What happened to that zucchini ?
  23. JoNorvelleWalker

Dinner 2019

Last night's dry aged ribeye and Momofuku ranch called out for a reprise, plus this time with radicchio. No Treviso, whatever that may be, was harmed. I go through ranch rather quickly but this evening I received a thirteen quart Vollrath bowl from amazon.
  24. Something in the very back of my mind tells me there is a train from the airport to the heart of The Iron Bound. The name Iron Bound refers to the confusion of the railroad tracks. When we were there my Bolivian friend spoke Spanish to the waiter in the Portuguese restaurant. She said most of the staff of these restaurants were actually from South America.
  25. Reviving this thread. all I want is Advil. And broth. I’ve found better than boullion (can’t spell it’s late) to taste pretty poorly. I’ve mixed a cup of boiling water and tbsp of their powder version. It’s almost fishy.
  26. So I refused to have gum surgery with actual surgery. So it will be done with lasers on Monday. Part one of two. I don’t anticipate it being horrific and I’m more concerned about the atheistic since we leave to go to my inlaws on Friday. I’ve been eating everything I know I won’t be able to like bagels and burgers. After Monday I’ll need to eat mush.
  1. Load more activity