• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. flavorless chicken is very common. right now in my area its $ 1.49 / skinless/boneless Breast or Thigh 3 lbs min each package.
  3. Silky Smooth Chicken Breast

@dcarch interesting video thanks that's a lot of chickens all over the place ! must be a lot of CkSh*t also all over the place !
  4. only some of the MexChirizo is lymph nodes look at the ingredient list I don't know about TofuNodes.
  5. Today
  6. For a softer bread I think the Cuisinart electric knife would work pretty well.
  7. One Click Butter Cutter

All too familiar here but mine has not progressed as far. I can't place my hands together but thankfully I can still cut butter with a knife. Worse was frozen shoulder, believed by some to be the same disease, which made it difficult to cook or eat...details, I know. Sorry if too much information.
  8. Here is a video I found: https://www.google.com/search?num=100&as_q=slicing+salmon&gws_rd=ssl#gws_rd=ssl&kpvalbx=1&spf=1516253956225 Note there is a story to my salmon slicer: two friends were getting married. I wished to surprise them with smoked salmon at the reception. So of course I needed a salmon slicer. I did not find it at a thrift store. ...Turns out the salmon was pre-sliced.
  9. Well, I think in this case, the unit is demonstrating good precision, and the accuracy is irrelevant. I mean, it may well be doing a great job of accurately measuring the bottom of my pan, but until I can figure out how to cook under the pan, the number doesn't matter much. But the fact that the steam output stayed super consistent after the pan temperature stabilized does demonstrate that it's holding the arbitrary temperature pretty well.
  10. I Bought a Tutove--Now What?

Yeah, I'd rather have a Rorgue, too. $4,000 for a sheeter versus $70 for a pin? I'd rather have the $3,930 in Bitcoin Amazon stock.
  11. Precision induction: Tasty Onetop

OK, I get it. You're using the temperature setting as the arbitrary numerical setting, even if it's objectively inaccurate. I even get that, e.g., if the setting of 267F is lower than the setting of 286F, that might be valuable regardless. I just like to acknowledge arbitrary things as being arbitrary, rather than thinking that a sharp, pointy-number temperature setting is true. This stuff tempts users to think and talk and judge like they have beaucoup accuracy and precision, when maybe they don't. When they share temps for preps between owners of a different brand/model with a different sensor or algorithm (ControlFreak, Cue, etc.), what? Someone's an idiot? Everyone should buy the Tasty Cookbook because only that works true to their readings? Sounds like political discourse more than science. I just want to cook.
  12. In this case, I am essentially using surface temperature as an arbitrary numerical setting. You could replace the surface temperature controls with a color wheel and I'd be just as pleased. I'm just stating that the surface sensor regulates the pressure cooker better than any standard radiant or induction burner I've used in the past.
  13. Japanese curry

This recent scratch one from Serious Eats looks promising. I like how he analyzed the spice blend. Not as labor and time intentive as yours. http://www.seriouseats.com/2018/01/how-to-make-from-scratch-japanese-curry-thats.html
  14. Precision induction: Tasty Onetop

The better question is: Consistent with what? PICs have heretofore been wildly INconsistent with their temperature settings, even if they are repeatable between uses. In the typical PICs, the temperature settings have been a joke. What makes this one different? If you set 267F at the controls, what confidence do you have that it means 267F in the pan? Frankly, I'd rather have an arbitrary numerical setting that I've vetted than a false temperature setting. But if this appliance is accurate, then it could change my mind. Seems easy enough to test...
  15. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

I made Croque Monsieur for the first time tonight. Very tasty! I put cheap cherry brandy in the mornay sauce and it was delicious!
  16. I would like to make sure that one detail is clear. I had no intention of ever using this knife myself. I own a lot of knives for my own kitchen, not to mention the 20 or so I have for my faire kitchens. A new find at a thrift store would have to be rather special for me to buy yet another knife for myself. The last such purchase was a Shun carving knife. On a related note, I am a firm believer in buying tools that work well for my style of cooking. I am not interested in having tools that require me to adapt to how they would like to be used. I am very fond of this quote from Waiting for Godot, "There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the faults of his feet."
  17. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

Well, I'm not born and raised though I have lived here ever so short of fifty years. (And before that in Philadelphia, spending three months a year at the shore.) I may have memories of good local tomatoes but I sure haven't tasted one in decades.
  18. The value here is not control of internal temperature (which is regulated by the pressure valve) but ease of use. Setting a consistent pan temperature (rather than a consistent burner output) means less overshoot, and therefore less liquid lost through the pressure valve. And in a purely practical sense, it means less time fiddling with the burner.
  19. Japanese curry

I've made the curry a couple of times and I like it. It is however a lot of work. I wouldn't mine considering other curry recipes but I can't say I've found any others that are not based on a mix.
  20. The blade is too short to be effective that way. It is a 5 inch blade.
  21. I still prefer my CHEAP "scalloped" edge "slicers" for cutting bread or cake. They work on very hard, crusty artisan breads, dense pumpernickel that I want to slice extra thin, on brioche and panettone, cakes, sponge cakes and angel food cakes. They do the job with the least effort on my part which is GREAT for my arthritic hands. I have tried several other "bread" knifes and not one performed as well on ALL those types of bread. One might be fine on crusty bread but mashed softer breads. Non-serrated blades do okay on cakes but not on soft breads that might have a bit of tough crust and they don't work at all on crusty breads.
  22. After the countless threads on making stripes on shells--with no clear winner--is this the holy grail of striping?
  23. Yes, unless a knife is extremely sharp, serrations rule with crusty breads. Still, I'd still like to try a guillotine...
  24. Precision induction: Tasty Onetop

I'm not sure what to make of this. If the PC is burbling, and it's an Xpsi unit, don't you already know the water temperature at sea level? If you're at altitude, it might be slightly lower, but it's a known, right? Also, these button thermocouples are measuring the outside bottoms where the heat is induced, not the interface temp or the temperature of the food. Is there some algorithm that converts into a floor surface temperature? If so, does the algorithm know the difference between a cast iron pan and a thick clad one like Proline? It would be interesting to compare temperature readings from the button with those from a good contact probe inside across a range of pans.
  25. This - in a variety of widths.
  26. Very attractive. What did you use for the masking for the stripe?
  27. The Dish Towel

We grew up in Canada calling them tea towels, also!
  1. Load more activity