• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. PureFizz vs SodaStream: your take?

Has anyone played with CO2 / N2O blends?
  3. For me, this is the utility of the fatties: I won't eat as many. They function like a true "side". Cause with [any variety] of French Fries, I'll eat a mountain of them in bliss, and then lick the salt off the plate after. It's not really the taste that gets me all fiended out, it's more like the texture or something. I don't know. But I get so lost in french fries I sometimes can't remember nothing about the protein.
  4. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

fish and chips, tartar sauce, spicy slaw and onion strings
  5. Burgers/Meatloaf--Cook-Off 10

But lots and lots of vegetables.
  6. St.Patrick , AKA CornedBeef 2018

Found some prepared corn beef briskets (flat -- no points available) at Wegmans for $3.99 per pound. Maybe they'll be marked down further this week.
  7. Burgers/Meatloaf--Cook-Off 10

@indag your ref. above might be off a bit. no turkey in the above as far as I can tell.
  8. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

Me too! My wife and I used to spend Easter weekend (I have Friday off) in NO basically just eating oysters, crawfish and gumbo...
  9. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

Majorly jealous.
  10. I myself am partial to the old fashioned crinkle cut fries. They remind me of my childhood when pretty much any hamburger joint served them but only a few places in town now do so. And like a good burger, I think the fries I make at home are the best, but if the restaurant has crinkle fries, I'll order them everytime over regular fries or steak fries. For years I was on a quest to find a fancy cutter for crinkle cut fries, but settled on an inexpensive hand held cutter. I like how the crinkle fries have ripples and the higher edges get more crispy. I do like regular French fries, curly fries not so much and thick cut, so-so. But if you're up to it as I am on occasion, fry your potatoes in beef tallow, (like McDonald's did for years). I guess you've all just inspired me to make some crinkle fries!
  11. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

We flew to New Orleans yesterday, for a cruise that departs on Saturday. We hit The Blind Pelican for happy hour and dinner. We each had a dozen chargrilled oysters for starters which were good, but took a while because of the large crowd of St. Patty's day Irish parade participants. They were worth the wait. I followed up with a dozen raw ones, which were wonderful. Hard to believe during happy hour, a dozen raw oysters are $3. Pretty hard to beat. We were up at 2 am so we were pretty beat and called it a night. I think under other circumstances, I would have had another dozen and some boiled crawfish. We will stay another three days after we return from the cruise, and have plans for those days that will more oysters and crawfish.. HC
  12. Today
  13. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

Following the Irish theme. I did mine in the slow cooker. Next time for sure I will SV it. Not that it wasn't good in the slow cooker....it was very good. Had to make more of @Mmmpomps potatoes @Kim Shook's scalloped tomatoes with an addition of cabbage Irish Cream Pie for dessert
  14. Burgers/Meatloaf--Cook-Off 10

I was mistaken when I mentioned upthread the Turkey Meatloaf recipe that I thought was super good. It was not a Tyler Florence recipe but is was by Bobby Flay. Turkey Meatloaf with Balsamic Glaze It really is wonderful.
  15. There was a time when Rayner was a regular participant on eG
  16. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

Thank You Liuzhou. I like to think I'm learning a trick or two... I mimic a beautiful picture I have seen here, take a photo... then I chuck the rest of his tea on the plate
  17. As Viscount Halifax said in the closing lines of Darkest Hour, "He mobilized the English language, and sent it into battle." A truly excellent piece of writing.
  18. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

@dcarch -- I ought to be used to your astonishing presentations by now, but sometimes, you do something that makes me sit up and say, "Wow." That plate did. Just gorgeous. I'm saying you certainly win the "loveliest corned beef" award. Again. Oh, and what's the pesto-looking stuff?
  19. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

@dcarch I was waiting for your CB pic. Its a Yearly event ! thanks
  20. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

Great picture, @CantCookStillTry
  21. A paragraph I could read over and over and over again whether or not I happen to like french fries.
  22. This seems relevant here. Jay Rayner
  23. thanks for the HeadsUp I have it requested from my library.
  24. Lunch! What'd ya have? (2018)

They are my favorties, too! Santa usually leaves a jar in my stocking!
  25. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

SV corned beef, 72 hours, medium rare and fork tender. Trimmed the corned beef for tomorrow's hash, and trimmed the cabbage for cole slaw. Left with a square meal on a cold day. Happy St. Patrick's Day to you all! dcarch
  26. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

Pork fillet was on special $15 per kg down from $28. I got two. Last year the butchers at the small town store I shop at didn't seem to know its worth and it was always $8 a kilo, it was, and still is, not very well prepared and you have to clean it up alot. But someone clued them in pricewise. Whole grain mustard dressed with creamed kale. Roasted to 155f with the probe and rested - hub gets nervous with pork.
  1. Load more activity