• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. Yeah, I backed the Spinzall on the first day (still hasn't arrived here yet) and ended up buying this juicer – which I've been very happy with. It even grinds nixtamalised corn for masa! I've had good results clarifying things like quinine in water through an Aeropress (five or six times!). Because you can add pressure – the Aeropress looks like a huge syringe minus the needle – it's much faster.
  3. Cheddar cheese, by an amazing coincidence, originated in the small town of Cheddar in Somerset, Western England. Unfortunately, the Chedderites were too busy making and enjoying their cheese to remember to apply for protection for the name. So, today Cheddar is made everywhere from Somerset to Inner Mongolia. In 2007, "West Country Farmhouse Cheddar" was granted protected status, but that only applies in the European Union. The USA, while bleating on about copyright protection for everything else, blatantly ignores European protection of foods and wines. Cheddar cheese sales in the UK account for over 50% of the market and is the second most popular in the USA (after mozzarella). Yet, few people have tried a real non-industrial, raw milk, cloth wrapped cheddar. Cheese author, Tenaya Darlington, aka all things cheese blogger, Madame Fromage, based in Philadelphia, has blogged a "Guide to Great British Cheddars" which has left me sitting here in China weeping over my plate of Inner Mongolian factory cheddar. Of those she mentions, I have only sampled two - The "Isle of Mull" and the "Montgomery" . Both were great, but the "Montgomery" is sublime. I can only agree with her notes -swoon-worthy cheese. Note: I have no connection with this blog or blogger, but merely pass this on in my determination to bust the ludicrous, ignorant reputation that the UK has for its food. We have some of the best in the world. (I'll be in England next February for a short time. Cheese and seafood are top of the list. Then I might go visit my family!)
  4. In natural disaster-related situations, I think there is value in having multiple cooking options available. My power was back within a day of the Whittier earthquake but it took more than a week before the natural gas was turned back on. Hence my choice to look into both a portable induction burner and a propane grill rather than one with a natural gas hook-up.
  5. Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

Thin crust, white clam pizza. HC
  6. "The Jesuits I was raised with" - my very favorite place in NOLA is the Jesuit Church - talk about inclusive of all faiths beautiful and embracing oops wrong cut & paste but a good TE D talk

7. Here's an article about a move of the state line to put South Carolina homes and businesses into North Carolina because some trees fell down years ago. A river did not even have to change course for this to become law. It's not pretty, and in some cases where elderly folks' health care has been put into limbo, heart wrenching. The government response is callous by any standard, I would think. It was wise of you to think of these repercussions, gfron1. I wish we had more wise people making decisions for us. It looks like you're having a lot of fun on your vacation. Thanks for taking us along.
  8. Yes us too would use leftover roast meat and chop it or put through the hand crank mincer.
  9. Gas had its advantages when dealing with hurricane induced power outages
  10. @ElsieD: Here's the link to the recipe I used. http://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a21033/vadouvan-curry-shrimp-recipe-opr0213/ Let me know how you liked it. I really appreciated my Instant Pot today - a windy rainy chilly day. I forgot to bring out soup bones from the freezer. A package of frozen pork neck bones, half a pot of water, 15 minutes under high pressure and I had great broth. Threw in a bag of Sher Li Hon (much like Chinese mustard greens), a few slices of ginger, and I had soup! Had pulled out a tray of top sirloin steaks bought on sale but had no inspiration, especially after a large bowl of soup. Cut off some thick strips, rubbed on Creole spices and seared on the cast iron grill. Broiled some steamed broccoli with shredded Habanero cheese, made a big salad, and supper was all she wrote!
  11. Drinks! 2017 (Part 1)

Rosebud (from The Art of the Bar) Essentially a tequila Manhattan with a rosewater rinse. Drinkable, but not adding this one to my rotation.
  12. Congratulations @Mmmpomps!
  13. Once I was off that rickety old ferry we were in Illinois. I learned that part of Missouri is in Illinois and part of Illinois is in Missouri. Look at the state line on Google maps and you'll see how the river has changed over the years. Little blips of land are on either side and down south - Kaskaskia Illinois is in Missouri. We wondered how they dealt with law enforcement and insurance and post offices and such. We hit up MODOC then an old limestone fort, but mostly we saw corn ready for harvest. We were there right as the combines were doing their thing. The old fort is deChartres which as mostly reproduction so not extremely interesting but allowed us a photo op in the cellaring room and I thought it was interesting seeing the list of medicines in their museum which were all things that are forageable. This didn't surprise me and in fact, one of my key aids in foraging is the book Native American Medicinal Plants by Daniel Moerman. Really fascinating book that has vast amounts of ancient wisdom. In Kaskaskia we found this super old church and it didn't seem like they were being very churchly with their pecan tree. I don't know but the Jesuits I was raised with would have encouraged you to eat those pecans if you needed them. The quirky stop of the day was at Chester, Illinois. Never saw this coming but was the home of the guy who created the Popeye cartoon. And interestingly, he didn't create Popeye as the cartoon, but rather Thimble Theatre which was about Olive Oil's family and at some point Popeye entered the scene and took over the show. Now the town has something like 20 different Popeye themed statues around town. After the day of driving we got home, I foraged some shiso and wild ginger. Tyler made a wild ginger simple syrup, muddled the shisho, added bourbon and a splash of club soda and we settled in for the night around the wood burning stove.
  14. A new Foodie

Welcome, Hasmek! Please tell us more about yourself, to the extent that you're willing to share. What do you like to cook, or to eat? Where do you like to do your cooking and/or eating? In this topic you can range freely about other aspects of your life (family, pets, favorite mode of transportation) and give the other members a better image of yourself. If you have technical questions, feel free to contact a host (I am one) by Private Messenger or ask in the Moderation and Policy Discussion forum.
  15. lol, @Jim D. I have a whole fresh spool when I need it. I caramelize the sugar then add warmed cream, etc. For 90 pieces, heat 600 g heavy cream, 150 g butter, 170 g lyle's golden syrup (or whatever liquid sugar), salt and other flavors as desired. Caramelize 700 g sugar as dark as you like then add liquid*. I cooked to 258F, poured into a 9" square pan & cooled at room temp overnight. It was a nice mid-high 60's in the kitchen today, finally better pastry-making weather! I could see it not going as well if the caramel was soft and the kitchen is warm, or hard caramel and cold kitchen. And you probably need to wrap as soon as they're cut, they do stick together a little bit so I wouldn't cut them and leave them sitting around. But the caramel wasn't any firmer than the butter ganaches I make, and a far cry from the semi-solid gianduja that I've broken too many strings on. *I always do wet caramel and just keep an eye on it while I do something else.
  16. Welcome, Miss Mick! Tell us a bit more about yourself! What do you like to cook, what do you like to eat, do you cook for others, where and how do you cook...you get the idea...any information you're willing to share will help other members get to know you.
  17. Thanks I thought he was a confirmed bachelor and I thought I'd never go down that path again...we're getting married in PEI ...how could I say no when this is on the menu....I had these at the shellfish festival last week:
  18. Back home from a short trip to PEI where I unexpectedly got engaged! The man wasn't even there Influenced by Shelby's porcupine meatballs I did a play on them: Instant Pot Porcupine Teriyaki meatballs with garlic green beans. Meatballs: 1 lb of ground beef mixed with 3/4 cup of white rice salt and pepper Garlic powder Worsteshire Form into balls Layer half into IP Add Teriyaki sauce about 3/4 of a cup and 1/3 cup of water add rest of meatballs on top Liquid should not cover top row so the rice sticks out Manual high pressure 15 minutes and 10 natural pressure release Green beans were done on saute but I think 0 pressure and quick release would be fine.
  19. @pastrygirl, Do you mind posting the recipe you use for making these caramels? Is this type of caramel always made--to simplify it, I'm sure--by mixing everything together at the beginning, then cooking it to a certain temp? That is the recipe Greweling gives. This is unlike the other type, where sugar is caramelized first, then cream is added and cooked to temp? I've never fully understood how the two types differ. And I've not had reliable success with making caramels that can be cut--they flow back together or are too firm to eat. I would sooner slash my wrist with my guitar than cut caramels with it. You are braver than I. Get in touch when you run out of replacement guitar wire.
  20. A new Foodie

Hi Everyone, I call myself a foodie and lover of all foods and food trends. I'm looking to learn from this online community.
  21. Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

Cleaning out the fridge before heading across the pond. Tonights dinner was grocery store "fresh" pappardelle with 2 containers of grape tomatoes, mushrooms , garlic and basil
  22. Drinks! 2017 (Part 1)

The female form in the Suffragette photo is ironic.
  23. Stuffed Poblano Pepper

I also used a few poblano peppers from a local farmer that were amazing! Now all I'm getting are waxy, tasteless peppers from Sysco and the breading isn't staying on them either. We are probably pulling the dish until it's fixed...or until next season.
  24. Stuffed Poblano Pepper

Thank you everyone for your feedback! Obviously I'm not making traditional Chili Rellenos, just trying to make a decent dish with some great flavors! It tastes great, but the plating I cannot take to the next level for some reason. Any suggestions on plating? It tastes delicious covered in fundito but the presentation stinks!
  1. Load more activity