• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. pastrygirl

flavored cocoa butter colors

I don't know. It would have to be pretty intense to get flavor from a thin layer of decoration, but freeze dried fruit can pack a punch. The PCB Creations site also shows it mixed with I'm guessing white chocolate in various dosages. Here is their brochure https://www.calameo.com/books/005802807fd1cdaab6c9b
  3. Darienne

Meeting-friendly snacks to bake

Our local bulk food store, The Main Ingredient, carries ginger bits and I quite like them. I could ask about their provenance if you like. And where Ken, the store owner, gets them.
  4. I love ginger snaps. I just got my last order of ginger bits from Penzey's via my niece in Syracuse. Last because she and her husband are moving back to Canada in June and I doubt I will pay the shipping charges to get more. Anyone know of a good Canadian source for the bits?
  5. keychris

how much do you need to add to taste it? there's literally like 0.1g of cocoa butter on the outside of a bonbon, so how much flavouring does PCB have to add to that to get it to a level you can actively taste? I just feel that the amount you need to add so that you can taste it effectively is rendering it to "not cocoa butter" in my head.
  6. pastrygirl

Yes, they contain freeze dried fruit powder, some have sugar and milk. Ingredients are listed on AUI's site, here's the strawberry I'm not sure about the pectin claim either, I thought you needed water for pectin to have effect. But why not add flavor? Why settle for just pretty when you can have pretty and delicious?
  7. Minus 11.0 C, which required another spoon. I'm sure it's phycological but if one sprinkles a few pistachios on top it looks and tastes like pistachio. I noticed in The Perfect Scoop, David Lebovitz roasts all his nuts except pistachio, because roasting causes the green color to turn brown.
  8. ditto. that machinery is just amazing.
  9. Isabelle Prescott

The Bread Topic (2016-)

They talk about professional bakers using the "high heat dry" milk. Well, I like the taste of home made bread much better that what the professional bakers make.
  10. Isabelle Prescott

The Bread Topic (2016-)

I'm going to do an experiment and make the same recipe with instant powdered milk and the same recipe with instant powdered dry milk that has been reconstituted and heated per The Fresh Loaf to see if it makes any difference. (Sometimes we complicate bread baking to a point of being ridiculous.🌭)
  11. keychris

I hate how they market this stuff. "Richer in pectin and natural fruit sugars, blah blah is less brittle". Yes, that's because you've added fruit powder to the cocoa butter. It's not pure cocoa butter any more. "No added colours" ... wtf? cocoa butter isn't red and orange and black naturally, so clearly there ARE added colours. What they mean is something like "no added things that you might perceive as nasty like titanium dioxide, don't worry it's all fruit based" I don't see the point of flavouring the cocoa butter, to me cocoa butter is purely decoration, not flavour.
  12. Today
  13. JoNorvelleWalker

Kitchen Scale Recommendations, 2011–

Update: YaeCCC responded promptly. This scale comes in three models, the difference being the maximum weight: 200 g, 300 g, or 500 g. I have the 500 g. As it turns out the calibration instructions provided are for the 200 g model, using the 200 g weight included in the box. There is no way any customer would guess how to calibrate the 500 g scale, but it was not difficult once I knew how. Why YaeCCC doesn't mention the procedure is a mystery.* Calibration also requires additional weights** not included with the scale. So not only are calibration instructions not provided, nor are the means to do so. I can only suppose they get a lot of tech support questions and returns. Calibration is at five points: 100 g, 200 g, 300 g, 400 g, and 500 g. As I said, not difficult. After a quick run through my 100 g weight measured 100.001 g. The scale runs on batteries or AC. Blessedly it does not auto turn off. The weighing platform is removable. The readings don't drift around. The scale has leveling feet and a built in bubble level. As scales go, I like it. I'm tempted to buy a higher range scale of the same type. Amazon has them up to 30 kg (though only 0.1 g resolution). *the amazon product description has been updated to include the calibration instructions! **which fortunately I have.
  14. chromedome

Bastard condiments?

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/new-heinz-condiment-mayochup-has-an-unfortunate-translation-in-cree
  15. KennethT

Best chicken?

The last time I bought chicken in Chinatown (quite a while ago) I think it was at Hong Li Meat Market on Mott St. north of Canal. Back then, Bo Bo listed the stores that sold their products on their website. The store was clean and well kept - they do cooked food in the front, and there's a meat market further back. They had silkies, old stewing chickens, black plume and white plume, plus quail, squab, etc... They weren't well labeled, but the bobo stuff has the yellow wing tag and the black plume look like they're a little scrawnier in the breast area... I had tried to ask questions, but I gave up since my Cantonese is a little rusty.... but they tried to be helpful... But it's been a while, so things may have changed...
  16. TicTac

Culinary Creations

I joined the Yan Fan Train during the Wok with Yan days....loved that guy. I will look further at another local Chinese supermarket next I go for rice noodles. I have a load of Ramps which I think would go really well in a Ramp Ho Fun.
  17. Kim Shook

Hello All

Hi, imperonester! Welcome to eGullet!
  18. JoNorvelleWalker

Best chicken?

When possible I source my poultry from Griggstown Quail Farm. Almost (but not quite) close enough to walk to. Sadly due to life's vicissitudes it's more often Shoprite and Purdue. Though I have been able to find Bell & Evans from amazon. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griggstown_Quail_Farm
  19. minas6907

Are you sure these are flavored and those colors aren't just creatively named? Or maybe I'm just reading things wrong, but I don't see any indication of the extra ingredients that would flavor them, It just says no preservatives, no added flavors and no added colors.
  20. JoNorvelleWalker

Dinner 2019

Have you discussed this with your marriage counselor or a dietician?
  21. ElsieD

Hello All

And hello to you too. Welcome to the forum.
  22. impeperonester

Hello All

Hi all, I'm imperonester. I'm generally interested in the discovery of new things and particularly invested in Latin cooking and meat curing. I've been getting started on a few projects myself and am exited to join the conversation.
  23. Ann_T

Dinner 2019

I wasn't hungry last night so it was a good time to make Moe something he likes more than me. A salad. Grilled Prawns with avocado.
  24. btbyrd

Best chicken?

Chicken flavor is down to genetics, feed, and lifestyle. Most chicken at the grocery store fails in one or more of these categories. Bell and Evans make a quality air-chilled product, but achieving excellent flavor is not their goal. They still use fast-growing birds slaughtered early before they could live a bird-life, walking around and foraging on land. Living a bird life that's longer than 6 weeks or so is crucial to developing good chicken flavor. In America, we grow breeds that were selected to pack on white meat as fast as possible so the birds can be killed as early as possible. These are the "chickens of tomorrow," and they're why Americans think chicken doesn't taste like anything. The best chicken I can find in my local grocery are the poulet rouge birds on offer from Joyce Farms. To get anything "better," I have to go to the farmer's market. Which I do, sometimes. It isn't often that I get to crow about industrialized animal agriculture, but I am happy to have Joyce Farms in my community bringing quality product to demanding consumers and chefs at a scale most small farmers cannot hope to deliver. They're a North Carolina brand I am proud to represent in my kitchen, and I know many local chefs who are just as proud to represent them on their menus. And apparently their product is in demand in New York City, which pleases me greatly. Here's an overview of their program: And here's a closer look at a particular farm who is producing in the Joyce Farms program. This farm is just under an hour drive from my house, not that I've been there myself. I don't know if this chicken is the best, but it's certainly the best thing I've ever been fortunate enough to find in a grocery store. Bell and Evans and Smart Chicken (or anything else air-chilled, frankly) are a step down, but an acceptable substitute. And sometimes, I admit, I buy the freakshow modern chicken because I am weak willed and/or weak budgeted. It's hard to feed a huge crowd on heritage birds, but maybe that's how it should be.
  25. DJ Silverchild

Question on Using Guitar Cutter - Chablon

I am definitely referring to Gianduja. Their dark gianduja is too firm to cut with a guitar.
  26. eugenep

Best chicken?

I read about the Bobo online and cross checked it here on Egullet and I think I read your post so I wanted to try the Bobo. I got mine at Chung Shing Meats, 19 Catherine St, in Chi-town. I didn't see any label to identify it as White or Black plume. The birds were 3.80 lb to over 4lbs in size. You think a seller of the Black plume would make a difference and where should I buy that? The owners of Chung Shing Meats should upgrade their facilities. The chicken might be alright but the place didn't have a clean look to it so I think that's the biggest reason for not going for another one unless there's a Black plume seller nearby?
  27. paulraphael

Best chicken?

The best I've had is Bo Bo. Specifically their black plume chickens. I don't imagine these are the best you can find at all costs (who knows what that would be ...) but I find they strike a great balance between quality and affordability. The black plumes are a hybrid between heritage breeds and modern chickens. They mature slowly enough to develop real flavor, but no so slowly as to be priced like a delicacy. They're also humanely raised and very well fed, and always sold with the head on (so you examine the eyes for freshness). Last I checked they were below $5/lb, but this was a while back. They have scrawny breasts (but ones that actually taste good) and burly legs. Mostly I buy Murrays or Bell & Evans, since they're at my local store. I consider these the entry level of chicken that actually tastes like chicken. But they're not remarkable in any way. These brands are well-raised, but actually use the same breed that's raised by Purdue and every other supermarket brand ... ones bred to grow to 4lbs in 6 weeks on 8lbs of feed ... or something close to that. Flavor isn't a real priority. At least the good brands don't actually taste bad. Even the very expensive all-organic, fully buzzword-compliant birds at places like Whole Foods tend to be this same breed (cornishX hybrids). At specialty markets and farmers' markets I often see the pure heritage breeds. I'm sure they're amazing, but I have yet to indulge (not counting the gobsmackingly pricey Amish farm heritage turkeys I've splurged on for thksgiving.
  1. Load more activity