• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. chord

Dinner 2019

My first home-cooked dinner after a long trip away...pasta with chicken sausage and vegetables.
  3. Smithy

Butterflied Leg of Lamb

I just went through the "I hate lamb!!" drama again, followed by the discovery that the protestor doesn't really hate lamb. Thanks for another delicious treatment!
  4. Today
  5. Regardless of what happened, I cannot take the risk of using that plastic again. I wanted a wider triangle, and VinylEase comes in sheets, so you can make the design whatever you want. But I had to put those four molds aside to be washed (someday), got out four clean ones (I knew that large purchase of custom molds would come in handy), found some 1.5" wide PVC (electrician's) tape, and it worked well. It kept the cocoa butter out almost as well as VinylEase, and left no detectable residue. So what's a day lost here and there, as long as there's a lesson learned?
  6. That stinks. But you've used the tape successfully before? Masking tape can be hard to get off of things after several days, maybe sitting overnight was the problem and the adhesive cured or hardened.
  7. pastrygirl

Cocoa butter

It's ok, at least it's fresh ... and my EZ Temper will never be empty again!
  8. Duvel

Spelt

Thanks, @food mom. I understand the logic dismissing the no-knead approach from a timing perspective. The hydration however is fine from my view, and takes into account that you want to have a properly risen loaf and not the famously dense whole wheat / ancient grain type loaves of the olden days. The durch oven that @trfl employs certainly helps with the load structure and makes best use of the high hydration ... And yet you are looking at a pizza, something with a large surface area compared to volume, so higher hydration is even more your friend and will lead to a more expanded base (especially on the rim), instead of a cracker-type, dry crust. If you are looking at neoneapolitan (e.g. New York style) pizza, you want chewy, foldable base with a defined, expanded rim. One thing that you could try is to balance the moisture content by adding yoghurt, which will add structure and give some chewiness. I do add yoghurt to make whole wheat / rye flour crusts (e.g. for Kassler Speckkuchen), and it works pretty well. So would a poolish, that you could bring to the workshop. If you have more time to research (e.g. for your next workshop, not today’s) please have a look at the technique described for the complete wheat Neapolitan pizza dough (90% hydration, btw) ...
  9. sartoric

Camping, Princess Style

Just catching up now and have to say thanks @Smithy for your warts and all peek into road tripping. I picked up lots of ideas. We hope to do some of the same next year, albeit in Australia, and extra albeit towing an off-road caravan. Hope you enjoy spring when it arrives
  10. Kerry Beal

Cocoa butter

Ouch!
  11. Kerry Beal

collapsed chocolate shells?

Would be equivalent to 0.7
  12. pastrygirl

Cocoa butter

My supplier decided that cocoa butter is now special order so I had to buy a case. And now I have an excessive amount of cocoa butter, anyone need any? Cacao Barry cocoa butter pistoles with a best by date of April 2021 $66 for the 3 kg tub or $22 per kg plus shipping.
  13. Jaymes

Butterflied Leg of Lamb

Just looking for this recipe. Glad to have found it again.
  14. Jim D.

I have to ask: The only scale I have seen for Aw readings is between 0 (for something completely solid) to 1 (for complete water). Is there a different scale that results in a reading of 7?
  15. Yesterday
  16. Good results. Only complaint is that I was getting ready for work and I accidentally spun a few* minutes too long. The overrun is higher than I would like. For the 750 g of cream called for in the recipe I used: 90 g sugar 20 g trehalose salt 0.2 g locust bean gum 1 g lambda carrageenan 0.1 g Polysorbate 80 0.055 g (was trying for 0.05) glycerol monostearate 0.25 g Lebovitz called for 150 g of sugar. Far too sweet for my taste. I substituted 90 g sugar and 20 g of trehalose. *6
  17. Dante

Dinner 2019

Just a Thai yellow curry paste.
  18. Kerry Beal

yes - up to 50% of free water
  19. sartoric

Dinner 2019

Oyakodon- chicken and egg rice bowl.
  20. Sure! I use a pretty standard recipe: 4 cups sugar, 1 cup water, 2/3 cup corn syrup (or glucose). Bring to 310 (hard crack). This is a hot/dry recipe. You can use more acid for decorations and such if it is to be used quickly, but you may get cold flow if you store it. That recipe is 5 cups water, 1cup +2tbs water, and 3tbs vinegar, 1/2 cup corn syrup. Very similar to this...
  21. We have been at other schools where this has not been an issue. But yes, the list has the potential to be quite helpful.
  22. Kim Shook

Dinner 2019

Tuesday night dinner started with a salad: Kroger had some of there Ukrop’s (a now-closed local grocery store revered by the Richmond VA area) prepared foods on sale the other night and we picked up a baked spaghetti intending it for a few lunches for Mr. Kim during the week. It turned out to be a fortunate thing because I was hit with what has turned out to be the worst cold I’ve ever had. So – a little while in the oven and: Quite tasty baked spaghetti: I have been in a codeine coma on the couch since then and haven't cooked a thing.
  23. Kim Shook

Breakfast 2019

I found a recipe for “Mini Sausage Quiches” that I wanted to try out. I thought it might do for when I was hostess for coffee hour at church sometime. I had to make a lot of adjustments to the original recipe. They turned out something between a quiche, a breakfast biscuit and a breakfast casserole. They were quite good, though and reheat very well. I have no idea what is going on with the monsters in the 2nd row. I think they are overly sausage-y and not eggy enough. And they are awfully fiddly. You are supposed to cut ONE roll of Crescent rolls into 48 pieces and line 48 mini muffin cups with the dough. I found this endeavor completely impossible and ended up using almost 2 rolls of dough. Which made mine a little overly bready, I think. This is definitely a work in progress, but I think I can get them where I want them with a little more work.
  24. scott123

Mozzarella: what to do with it?

I don't know how long you plan on keeping it around for, but, in the future, if you want to prolong the shelf life, it's best to keep it in the packaging until you need it. Also, brick mozzarella is only as good as it's melt, and slices melt especially poorly- it's super easy to end up with rubbery tasteless cheese. Even if you can't grate them by hand, I might put them back in the food processor for a handful of pulses on the chop setting. I tend to have a lot mozzarella around and use it for any Mexican dishes that require melted cheese, like enchiladas. It also fries up really well in a non stick pan. Take it until golden brown and you'll get crunchy crackers when it cools.
  25. food mom

Spelt

You are correct, Duvel, I should have stipulated which kind of crust I am looking for at the very beginning. I would start with a thin-crust pizza, old New York-style. This is why I think that the recipe @trfl suggested would not do. First off, it is meant for a gadget that no one here has (the closest we get are the clay Romertöpfe, which are not much in everyday use here these days), which, as I read the device description, deals with a moist enviornment. Not what is desired in a pizza oven. Second, the recipe calls for a 16-hour rising period, not something to do in a class. Yes, I could tell them about it, or pre-prepare a dough, but that's not what people are paying for. Third, spelt dough is already a "wet" dough. I wouldn't want to up the hydration, but decrease it. I've just found some old clippings titled "American Liquid Measure Conversion Chart" and "Am. Volume Measure Conversion Chart" (unfortunately no note of source, but easy enough to find, I'd think) which says to decrease the liquid in the recipe by 10-15%. Here we have five International Standard grades of Spelt - 630 contains 12-14% gluten, and is most widely used - which are all used for different end products. I visited the mill today, talked with the saleswoman there, and she suggested using a combination of the two lowest grades (Dunst and Grieß, the Omnipotent Wiki has a chart under "flour"), to give more structure to the dough. So I'll do that, but early next week, as tomorrow is the class, Sunday is the European vote, and Monday it should rain. Thanks to all for help/input. Will let you know how things turn out. Happy weekend, -betsy
  26. gulfporter

Grocery Shopping

We've been gone from our MX home for a month (FL and Portugal) and we're still tired, time-zone impaired and generally discombobulated. Went to the small produce market looking for some zucchini. I buy them now and then, but thought these a bit smaller than usual. Get them home and start to peel. Not zucchini. They are Persian cucumbers (googled ) and I think the best cucumber I have ever had! Glad I made that mistake 😋
  27. Samin Nosrat was recently a guest on Dax Shepard's podcast, Armchair Expert. If you haven't listened in the past, they are very long interviews. Samin's pretty articulate and I enjoyed listening to this episode. Amongst other topics, she talks at some length about her next book.
  28. Shelby

Dinner 2019

Salmon with capers, garden asparagus and pasta Thai pork lettuce wraps and sweet and sour tofu Strawberries from my wonderful egg person's patch for dessert
  1. Load more activity