• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. If I tried that I'd have chocolate all over my scale.
  3. JoNorvelleWalker

Dinner 2020

I'd probably go with the shrimp too...though my doctor told me not to eat shrimp.
  4. liuzhou

Dinner 2020

I'll go with the shrimp, please.
  5. I have to wonder why the Control Freak has this problem and the Paragon mat does not.
  6. Today
  7. That's pretty much the way I do it minus the fancy chocolate squirting machine. I'm pretty sure I've dedicated more time to figuring out ways to minimize the mess of chocolate work than I have to practicing techniques. I hate a big mess to clean up. When I do bars, there's no scraping at all involved. I toss the mold on a scale, add chocolate to the weight needed for that particular mold and just zero the scale and repeat for each cavity. I gave the acetate capping thing a try a few years ago and struggled mightily with it. I'm sure that was all me and I just needed to practice it more but I like the "just enough chocolate to fill the spaces" approach enough that I'll probably never get back to attempting the acetate again.
  8. demiglace

Potato Chips!

@CantCookStillTry will tell you more but that pic is a snack cake next to the chips.
  9. Thank you for throwing in the photos of the desert flowers. It's all new to me.
  10. liamsaunt

Dinner 2020

My brother gave me a sous vide for Christmas andI have used it once: to pasteurize eggs for a salad dressing. I cook my meat (that I don't eat) your way 🙂 So tonight, for the first time that I can recall, my husband and I were alone for dinner on Saturday night. I usually do not take pictures on weekends because I normally have anywhere from 6-12 people here eating and everyone has stuff they will or will not eat. I admit I am part of the problem. I will not eat most meat. But tonight, it was just me and hubby. And we still could not agree! So, choose your dinner! Waygu flat iron steak with fries and marinated tomato salad Or, blackened shrimp with remoulade and same sides
  11. LOL!! I literally just got them in the mail today. They are Misen 8, 10, & 12” non-stick.
  12. To be honest? You probably need to replace the pans. I use the Anolon Nouvelle Copper Hard Anodized Nonstick skillets. Super pans for induction (or other). I also have a pair of All-Clad non stick skillets (8 and 10") and like them both. The smaller pan is a bit lighter and can tip slightly when empty. The only real solution to the problem you describe is a different pan. The Anolon Nouvelle are really great pans for the money.
  13. Robenco15

Dinner 2020

Bolognese with handmade Tagliatelle
  14. You can totally mix up a big batch of your own colored cocoa butter and then just melt and retemper when you need to use it.
  15. So, I used to use acetate, but I think mine is too stiff and I would get cracks in my caps that I never get when I cap without the acetate. it’s also kind of messy. If I cap without acetate and work really quickly I can get almost no chocolate running down the sides of my mold, à la Susanna Yoon. https://www.instagram.com/p/BdXxdFYBV2_/?igshid=w37n31ueril1 I decided that plus the wastefulness of the acetate made it a less attractive option for me. It is super helpful if you have a very runny filling, you’re in a rush and your ganache is still too soft, or if you overfill, as was mentioned above.
  16. My name is Silvia,and I love cacao transformation, and always willing to learn new ways to do it. www.nomnomcacao.com
  17. OK upon re-reading intern doesn't have a long time there. I would look to the authors, email, social media if applicable,and try to correspond. Probably a 1 in 70 chance but it gets you In the game. From a research perspective look at general first from the link and then dial down. The time frame is not ideal but foot in the door can often yield interesting connections..https://guides.library.harvard.edu/c.php?g=311003&p=2081838 He or she had enough writing skill to get the grant so hone the research/connection skills and go for it Passion for a subject can pry open sticky doors. IMPORTANT - of not already done get a pass code to access the online library. Should be at least temp access if grant processed.
  18. I don't think it misses it at all - they are specifically focused not on producing a specific flavor profile, but on reproducing the profile you like. So as @weinooputs it, if you like dreck, then their advice will help you make the same terrible espresso every time! IMO you can gloss the math sections of the paper and still get a lot out of it, it's really interesting work.
  19. Yesterday
  20. scubadoo97

Dinner 2020

Tonight wife’s away dealing with her elderly parents. Good time to make some shrimp which she dislike Butter poached shrimp over green tea soba noodles
  21. scamhi

Dinner 2020

Which CSO are you using @Ann_T?
  22. Nice young mustard greens. We used to have a window sill collection of those mustard mugs...and back in the day when Trader Joes had those stone crocks of course mustard - red wax sealed - home decor at its finest All the offices had them as pen/pencil holders when that was a thing. Nice memory.
  23. We're getting better at the burger timing. Last night he was in charge and I left him to it, once I got the camp stove running. (It's getting cranky.) We have finally emptied the squeeze bottles of mustard (coarse Dijon, and horseradish) from home so I pulled two jars out from storage and let my darling pick. The jalapeño mustard is one of the things my DIL egged me into buying last September.The mustard in the stein is a Dusseldorfer mustard that I find once in a while at good grocery stores . It's sharp and delicious, one of my favorites. My darling flinched at the idea of jalapeño mustard on his spicy-hot burgers (half beef, half hot Italian sausage), so it went back into the cupboard. In other news: spring is coming to the desert. We're seeing the first tiny flowers. We're also spotting fresh young mustard greens. A handful, foraged from a huge patch, made it into our salads.
  24. Margaret Pilgrim

Dinner 2020

Awfully glad to hear this I don't own a sous vide system. Nor do I to to a restaurant for THEM to use one.
  25. Owtahear

Dinner 2020

I've learned, great beef....that's all you need. Salt and Pepper. Nothing more.
  26. Hi, i have the book - it’s really good. One of our friends has taken his class and he is really good at what he does great panettone section as well as brioche, much less on croissant. You can also find good stuff with Johann Martin, the new bellouet and conseil book. once you get a few ideas the rest follows. I heard of a school in San Fran for croissants work. Because truly 90% is the ensemencent that will make the croissant layers remarkable
  1. Load more activity