• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. I made the "pineapple serrano gin" from Season. The name is a bit confusing (and might scare your guests); this is actually a gin cocktail that starts by infusing gin with pineapple and serranos. The technique is interesting, I have made pineapple gin in the past for the Violet Hour Riviera cocktail by just infusing chunks of pineapple into gin for a few days, but here he blitzes the pineapple and gin in a blender, adds sliced serranos and sugar, and infuses in the fridge for 1-2 days. After 1 day I was happy with the level of heat, so I proceeded to strain (he says to use a cheesecloth, I used a nut bag which is infinitely more practical). This results in a concentrated infusion with a nice color that is diluted with water (2 parts concentrate for 1 part water) and served on ice with a sliced serrano garnish. It's delicious! I am sure it would taste equally great with tequila or mezcal.
  3. Kerala

Dinner 2024

Fish pie. I made too much of the white sauce, so I made a central well in the pie to let it bubble up rather than boil over the sides. I mixed some of the excess sauce into the mash after some thought. Butter, flour, milk, cream, nutmeg, bay leaf, a handy bit of ground pepper and a pinch of salt... actually works great in mash!
  4. @Red Owl ... Your old post came up for me while reading a current message. Perhaps you can make a Dutch Baby as a shell for your fillings. The recipe is very similar to that of popovers, and for your purpose they might be a better choice. I make 'em in a small (five or six inch) cast iron skillet which fits easily into my Breville countertop oven. Actually, two of the small skillets will fit into the oven. Examples: https://www.lodgecastiron.com/recipe/basic-dutch-baby https://butfirstwebrunch.com/mini-cast-iron-dutch-babies/
  5. Thank you! They tasted good. Just not sure they were worth the extra dishes to clean. Interesting suggestion about the microwave... for those who have one (I don't! 😄). Maybe steaming would achieve the same result?
  6. johnnyd

Dinner 2024

Wok prep ready. Hanger, peppers and shitake. But now I want mountain lion...
  7. @Cooker Don't hold back. Cook now! The Mark Wiens Keralan fish curry is failsafe and easier, and will taste good! If it's not right, do it again a couple of times, and it will be better each time. You have the advantage of knowing when it tastes right. Equally with the fish molly, go for it! With both these dishes, the risk as an inexperienced cook from Kerala is overcooking rather than undercooking.
  8. rotuts

Dinner 2024

well , it dies bring up a point do we , humans , eat carnivore ? it seems so :
  9. Smithy

Dinner 2024

I’ve eaten black bear before and thought it quite good. I’d assumed that bears, being omnivores, wouldn’t fall into the same category as mountain lion, which as far as I know is an obligate carnivore. I’ve learned something today.
  10. Today
  11. Kerala

Dinner 2024

Fascinating. I'd never have thought to eat either bear or lion. To be fair I'll probably go to my grave never having eaten either. Interesting to know, though.
  12. They do look good though! I reckon you could trim the prep down and have an even better dish by skipping the peeling stage and simply microwaving them in a bowl covered with plastic wrap. This is probably my favourite way of dealing with asparagus as it gives beautiful bright green spears, with none of the flavour leached out into the boiling water. It’s easy to get doneness just right too.
  13. I love shrimp tacos - dust the shrimp in seasoned flour then fry to crisp up and just cook. Top with avocado, lettuce, pickled red onions and maybe a lime/sriracha mayo.
  14. At the moment, I'm just buying the corn and flour tortillas. Do you make yours? I wouldn't mind making them but I would need a tortilla press and I don't want to buy one unless I'm sure I'd use it. So for now, fillings and toppings. What do you top your fish tacos with? I was thinking of a mango/red pepper and maybe cucumber concoction.
  15. Yoda

Cake pan sizes

I made 2. Forst one was the test one, amd the second one i used my mother was very happy and everyoneloved it, so success
  16. if the taste works - go for it! I've found many/most cakes using melted chocolate tend to the dense side. the batter depth may also have inhibit the 'normal' rise . . . things rarely go perfect first time around - especially if you have to modify to size/amounts/etc. once one knows what to expect it makes for an easier prep.
  17. Yoda

Cake pan sizes

Lol, no wonder my cake came out dense I scaled the recipe to fit 6" pan. I cca halved the recipe and baked all at once in the 6" pan. I had to bake for a bit over than an hour. This is the result It's a shame they didn't describe how the texture of the cake should be. The cake came out very dense, but rich in flavour. I like it. I had to add a bit more milk than in recipe to get a "droopy wet consistency" like instructed. I skipped the chocolate chips (although I see some chocolate spots in the cake - not sure what that is?? If anyone knows? The chocolate was completely melted when i poured it into the batter (76% couverture chocolate)
  18. blue_dolphin

Breakfast 2024

Yesterday's lunch was the Virtuous Vegan Harissa Tofu Bowl with Farro from The Global Pantry Cookbook. Yes, good grief on the recipe name. And yet, I made the leftovers even more virtuous by cooking up more vegetables to throw in with my reheated bowl:
  19. 担担面 (dàn dàn miàn*) in Sichuan does not use peanut butter; it sometimes, but not always, uses sesame paste and is sometimes, but not always, garnished with raw peanuts. It is was originally a street food snack dish which with no standard recipe. All the recipes I've seen in English are very American-Chinese with ingredients from all over China that would be unlikely to be used by street vendors in Sichuan if even available. I’m reasonably certain peanut butter powder doesn’t exist in China; a search in Chinese on Chinese search engines reveals nothing. * The official Mandarin transliteration in China. Tan Tan is just an older, outdated transliteration never used in China and now mainly only used in America
  20. Take a look at Tacos Quesabirria. Here's one idea for it:
  21. Are you making both corn tortillas and flour tortillas for your tacos? Or are you buying them and looking for filling ideas? I'm a big fan of breakfast tacos and love using flour tortillas made with bacon fat. Potato & egg is a great combo. Chorizo, avocado, eggs and cheese. Bean, cheese and bacon. Also, of course, fish tacos, generally with freshly made corn tortillas.
  22. I recently decided to start making these. I had this preconceived notion that I didn't like them but then I had some and realized I was mistaken. I have had the book 300 Best Tacos on my bookshelf for I know not how long (or why) and dusted it off. The first recipe I made was Kalbi tacos with Asian Pear salsa. They were delicious but I used the marinade on a strip steak rather than short ribs. I'm looking to make more. Any good taco ideas out there?
  23. I've been collecting and experimenting with this noodle dish since just before leaving NYC for Cali., in 1967, when I first sampled the dish at Shorty Tang's place. There are about thirty variations in the collection and roughly one third to one half of them have both peanut butter and sesame paste. The dish goes by a variety of names and descriptions: Take-out Noodles, Dan Dan Noodles, Tan Tan Noodles, Sesame Noodles, and more. It's never seemed strange to me having both sesame paste and peanut butter in the dish.
  24. Honkman

Dinner 2024

Nice fusion of German and Mexican influences - Sauerkraut stew with white beans, fresh chorizo, chipotle in adobo, onion, garlic, bay leaves and cilantro. Served with some sour cream
  25. YvetteMT

Dinner 2024

I had the same notion before we started looking harder at them. We try very hard to eat what we hunt and this lion was not on the exception list! Mountain lion is highly regarded as some of the best game one can eat. The one thing one to be aware of is that they (and bears) are known for carrying Trich so handling of raw meat and cooking to temp is important. Fwiw, the texture is very similar to pork, the odor when raw is not unpleasant, no gamey odor. (The animal itself stinks!) We also eat black bear and it's delicious as well.
  26. Not a lot. It's not that common, but Skippy is available and there are Chinese brands, too. It is used in noodles sometimes, yes. However, the most common use here is in SE Asian style saté sauce and is used as a dip. More here. Here is a screen shot of a peanut and sesame sauce (with computer translation) from my local delivery app. First time I've seen it!
  1. Load more activity