• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. The Soup Topic (2013–)

Very often the soup toppings is what makes the dish!
  3. @paulraphael, is there an alternative nowadays to the SV Dash app you used to get those charts? I tried to find this in the iOS App Store, but it doesn't seem to exist. I've been looking at doing SV chicken breast to 140F, but it takes way too long to get the core to 140F and then wait another 20 minutes to pasteurize. I assume most of the bacteria lives on the surface, so is it safe to let the core cook to 140F and then stop cooking, since the surface would have been at 140F for longer than 20 minutes?
  4. I Bought a Tutove--Now What?

It was $69 on Ebay. The seller told me after the fact that they retail for $275. I don't know of she's a pastry pro. Coincidentally, when an acquaintance in San Francisco heard I'd bought this one, she told me she has a few in her vintage cookware shop. Anyone who's interested, let me know, and I'll put you in touch.
  5. $75. ouch even $25 would be pushing it
  6. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

Roasted chicken and cauliflower. The bird was small, a little less than three pounds, so cooking time was the same as the cauliflower. Both pans were pre heated. Salsa verde on the side.
  7. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

Why go out when you can make a gorgeous pie like that?
  8. Notice she tried to fool us by posting some pictures twice.
  9. This is apparently a $75 lunch - subsidized $45 by the event - eaten in a few short minutes before my tempering demo lunch and learn.
  10. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

White clam pizza, inspired by our many trips to Frank Pepe's in New Haven and waiting in line for them to open. More than once, we made the hour long drive only to see the "No clam pies today" sign on the door. Not a good thing! HC
  11. Today
  12. Here in West Michigan -- where my students always tried, always unsuccessfully, to be granted an official "excused" for opening day of firearms deer-hunting season -- Arby's has offered a venison sandwich.
  13. Yesterday
  14. Russet Potato Flavor

You have to buy Costco's bag of onions to find a bad one. Because there will be one. Always.
  15. I Bought a Tutove--Now What?

I'm curious - how much did you pay for it? Did you buy it from a pastry chef? I have never heard of but but it looks like an interesting piece of equipment.
  16. Russet Potato Flavor

Not from the Costco ones
  17. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

Charlie seldom ever makes any suggestions for dinner so I was sure to make one when he asked. He said it's a Soul Food recipe called Smothered Chicken. We had it with rice and he had already helped himself before I remembered to take a picture.
  18. That is because it's a KFC "idea" ? Or because the combination is odd ? I had crawfish etouffee over fried chicken last month in Baton Rouge and I liked it, so I don't find the concept too horrendous...
  19. I Bought a Tutove--Now What?

OK, for the less incurious, I found this in Larousse Gastronomique: "Professional pastrycooks use various specialized rolling pins; fluted metal pins to pattern the surface of caramel or almond paste; fluted wooden pins to roll out puff pastry (this keeps the pieces of butter separate and ensures uniform distribution)...' From The Cooks' Catalogue (1st ed., Beard, Glaser, Wolf, Kafka, Witty, eds): "In the loose amalgam which is pastry dough, the fat must always, by one means or another, retain its separate identity--it must not, in other words, soak into the flour. When a flour-and-water dough is stacked in hundreds of layers separated by layers of butter--that is, when it is being transformed into puff pastry--the segregation is even more essential. And although any good-quality plain rolling pin can be used to make puff pastry, the ultimate instrument for this purpose is the French grooved rolling pin with the trade name Tutove: the manufacturer proudly calls it a "magic rolling pin" The magic lies in the 1/8" grooves which run lengthwise on the wooden roller; the rounded ribs separating the grooves distribute the butter evenly between the layers as the dough is rolled and as the layers become thinner and thinner and multiply in number with subsequent folding and rollings. The bite of the grooved pin is also effective in softening the dough when the pin is used to beat it after it has been chilled between workings. Made of hardwood, with black plastic handles, this is an expensive piece of equipment, but worth the price if you intend to make puff pastry: bouchees, puff-paste croissants, vol-au-vents, napoleons, crust for beef Wellington, or any number of delights." From Child & Beck: "The French Tutove pin is sometimes available in import stores; its cannellated syurface is designed especially for distributing butter evenly throughout the dough when you roll puff pastry or croissants."
  20. That's how I do it--sometimes I don't even core it. Works like a dream.
  21. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

In a case of when the hell did I last go grocery shopping, we have part of a leftover black bean and chicken quesadilla topped with a ragout of chorizo, New Mexico green chile (from my now dead garden) 3 teeny green tomatoes (garden) onion, corn, and a teaspoon of tomato paste
  22. Apparently it is even easier if you core the cabbage and then freeze it. I haven’t tried that method because I don’t have room in my freezer for a head of cabbage but I’ve read enough about it to think it might be worth an attempt if you do have space.
  23. Cooking with Six Seasons by Joshua McFadden

^^ it's gorgeous.
  24. Thanks for all that information! I love cabbage rolls but almost never make them because of the hassle with the cabbage leaves, your method looks so much easier and I will try it!
  25. Dipped into boiling water. It just happens that it was the largest pot that I had easily available to me at the time.
  26. When you say blanched in the IP, do you mean steamed actually? or dipped into boiling water?
  27. California Farmers' Markets

I've been sick for the past couple of weeks and am getting over a cold, sorry. But we went to the market today so... This is puntarelle, a type of chicory. The traditional prep is in insalata di puntarelle, a salad with anchovy and lemon that's common in Rome. These were selling for $3/lb. Each turnip is no bigger than an American quarter coin. When they're young like these, they're sweet and tender, and need very little treatment to bring out their excellence. Today we bought: Oroblanco grapefruits, kumquats, curly-headed endive, potatoes, purple-white turnips, cauliflower and scallions. Then we went inside the Ferry Building and saw No, we didn't buy any. On the other hand, we got some veal shoulder (for Saturday dinner) and pecorino cheese.
  1. Load more activity