• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Thankfully wine may legally be delivered in New Jersey. Can you call up by telephone and order wine to be delivered? If not, the strains of Gillian Welch's opus Dry Town are running through my head: "Hundred miles 'tween me and Missoula..." Your only recourse may be the ballot box or burning tires in the street.
  3. Cookies, flatbreads, pastry. I think I know now what pin I'll plan to get but first I want to experiment with the Beranbaum pin while I can still return it.
  4. Whoops, guess I should have mentioned, I use the metal bowl and dough roller when I mix cookie dough. Haven't tried the plastic bowl & dual whisks for cookie dough (based on your results I'm even less inclined to try that combo). I hope the cookies are tasty!
  5. Today
  6. heidih

Rolling pin

If I could find my ndian one I'd send it to ya. What us your major use?
  7. The Matfer (no, I'm not going to pay $94.80 for a French nylon rod) is 13/4 inches in diameter by 195/8 inches long. That seems a more reasonable size. However I wouldn't mind 24 inches personally.
  8. Here's my version of his recipe.
  9. liuzhou

Dinner 2019

Last night. 窝窝头 (wō wō tóu) buns stuffed with beef and Hunan pickled vegetables.
  10. Perhaps this is it click wherre it says John T to go to linkk. Software maddening me....
  11. A friend of mine had a hollow one years ago. The whole point of the exercise was to fill it with ice cubes, so it would keep your pastry super-cold as you roll it. I can't say I was impressed with it. I have two, a tapered one and one with handles. The one with handles is about 16" wide without the handles, and the...uh...barrel?...of it (the business portion) is about 3, maybe 3 1/2" in diameter. Works pretty well.
  12. @Kim ShookDid @JohnT post his recipe somewhere? They look amazing.
  13. I mixed my first cookie dough in the Ankarsrum. The Ankarsrum did not mix as well as I would have liked. The cookie recipe was KAF Crystal Diamonds. The dough for Crystal Diamonds is flour, milk, lemon oil, yeast, and salt; then with butter beaten in in increments. The dough merrily climbed the center column and crawled into the gears. I suspect the end result will be OK, though with more mess and pain than I anticipated. Another observation: Stretch-tite plastic wrap sticks to the Ankarsrum plastic bowl. Sticks as in "can't get it off".
  14. robirdstx

Dinner 2019

Bone-in Pork Loin Chops (Sous Vide for 2 hours at 140F and finished on the Grill) with Baked Sweet Potato and Steamed Broccoli
  15. @kayb - I think Chex mix is such a great thing to make. Everyone loves it, but no one ever makes it anymore. Kind of like Rice Krispy treats - the store bought just isn't as good. I am so freaking late doing everything this year. I seriously don't know if it is going to get done. My #1 priority is getting gifts and cards in the mail before it is too late. Then food. Sigh. Some things I'm doing while I deal with wrapping and addressing. @JohnT's sausage rolls (ready for the freezer) and baby quiche for Christmas breakfast: They are a little pale because I bake them just short of done since I bake them to get them hot when they are served. Lemon chess tarts:
  16. Get there early for the cheese though. I went in the afternoon for I think Humboldt Fog and it was gone and the associate said it was sold out almost immediately in the morning. Some cheeses are more sought after than others.
  17. Anna N

Dinner 2019

Usually or perhaps I should just say often, lunch is dinner leftovers. But tonight dinner was lunch leftovers. Reheated in the CSO (Cuisinart steam oven) to perfection.
  18. " '12 Days of Cheese' Returns to Whole Foods in Time for Party Season" See the article for the list of specific cheeses that will be part of the sale.
  19. heidih

Rolling pin

Those are good questions. I also thnk it comes down to your height and your rolling table height and the diameter of your usual dough needs.. You are pushing from above and out - not squooshing forward. My fave is in garage buried but it is an Indian one. Less diameter, more control. Otherwise I use the old fashioned handle one but put my on the edges not the handles. My 2 cents. The reason buried is is cuz I tend to use base of palm or ith flat bread pull and move around I don't do rolled cut out cookies anymore.
  20. Kim Shook

Lunch 2019

Today - tuna salad and egg salad on toasted naan:
  21. JoNorvelleWalker

Dinner 2019

@Kim Shook my tuna in question was Whole Foods 365. But packed in oil. Always oil. Water packed tuna is gross.
  22. Kim Shook

Dinner 2019

@shain – I’ve never had sunchokes and that gratin looks so good. How would you describe the flavor? @Anna N and @liuzhou – I am quite sure that this anglophile would quite like stovies. @JoNorvelleWalker – no canned tuna shaming from me. Mr. Kim was mooning over some tuna in the fish case at the store Saturday. I opined that my favorite tuna was the round kind😄. And I’ll top you – I like plain old Starkist chunk light packed in water. (I actually like it packed in oil, but Mr. Kim and Costco insist on water). @gfweb – jumping on the bandwagon to say how much I love your house. I’d love to see more of it. There is nothing I like better than a stone house. Our very first owned home was an almost 100 year old stone farmhouse. Very casual and country, but I loved the history. @chromedome – I believe I will have to try that duck recipe. I am one of those folks who detests poultry cooked any lower than medium well. I just can’t make myself swallow it. I’m not cooking much lately, but we did have a lovely dinner with some dear friends who came back to town for a visit. We all love Greek, so we met at one of our old favorites, Demi's. Started with flamed saganaki: Maybe my favorite food in the entire world. Also, spanakopita: Some of the best I ever remember eating. We ordered something interesting sounding: Dried apricots stuffed with ricotta cheese, Spanish almonds, and a drizzle of balsamic reduction. All five of us agreed that these were very good, but a little bland. We thought that substituting goat cheese for the ricotta would be good. I’m going to give it a try with goat cheese, marcona almonds, and saba. Our entrees - sundried tomato, capers, and artichoke hearts on linguini: Paella – Spanish chorizo, mussels, shrimp, cod and calamari and topped with fried oysters: Spanish chorizo and ham soup with white beans, tomato, onions, garlic, and peppers and the spinach, kale, & arugula salad with apricots, red onion, cucumbers, tomatoes, and walnuts in a creamy feta dressing: Chicken souvlaki: One of the specials – monkfish with crabmeat and shrimp: Desserts were baklava: Sweet cheese empanada with vanilla ice cream: And egg nog crème brulee: Everything was absolutely delicious – better than any other time we’ve been. I was especially impressed with the paella. So many places where you can go wrong and each element was cooked so well.
  23. I have three rolling pins: an antique wooden one with handles, a coming-up-on antique metal one with handles, and a small 11x11/8 inch wooden one. I wanted a better pin for cookies and pastry. Last week the Rose Levy Beranbaum rolling pin was on sale and amazon delivered one this afternoon. The RLB pin is a hollow, plastic 18x2 inch tube; with rubber endcaps. It looks rather like a mailing tube. I can't say I am thrilled, but I will give a try before returning it. It seems light and flimsy. To my taste the diameter is too large and the length not as long as I would like. The plastic material is supposed to be non-stick but does not feel all that non-stick to me. My question: what length and diameter are ideal for a non-tapered rolling pin? Or does it come down to hand size and personal preference?
  24. Yesterday
  25. Yes there is a drip pan. The IR is built into the sides. I’m so impressed so far with the lack of mess and odor, plus it cleans up in the sink so easily. I have great expectation for the roti chicken. Hope to post some pics.
  26. Yep - it's a nice, little town. Kidding; it's a nice city, with a quite good food scene. We also did a self-guided (i.e. stolen from the 'net) tour around Oak Park, to see the houses designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, including his. And Milwaukee actually has a very interesting street; Burnham Street. It consists of affordable FLW designed homes; designed to compete with Sears Catalog Homes, for those less well-off perhaps than the people in Oak Park. They were called American System-Built Homes. Did not catch on. Oh, and a Calatrava designed Milwaukee Art Museum!
  27. I have no idea if it's still there or not, but 20-plus years ago, on my first trip to Chicago, and one of my first experiences in a higher-end restaurant than the local diner or burger joint, we went to Bistro 110 across from the old waterworks on Michigan. It remains one of the relevatory experiences in gastronomy that I can remember. I had some kind of a steak, which I little remember, except it was good. Likely a filet, but I don't recall. The port wine-foie gras reduction served with it was the most delicious thing I'd ever tasted in my life -- until they brought dessert. I ordered creme brulee, because everyone else at the table did. I had no idea what creme brulee was. It came in a wide, flat ramekin, perfectly caramelized crust, a handful of fresh berries scattered across the top. I swear, my eyes rolled back in my head. I wanted to lick the ramekin (but refrained). I've had some wonderful meals in Chicago since then, including one at the Berghof that I credit with reawakening my dormant interest in German food; steaks at Lawry's and Hugo's; pho at Le Coloniale; seafood at Shaw's Crab House (really? In the middle of the country? Very close to the best I ever had). But I shall never forget that meal at Bistro 110. We ate there many more times on subsequent trips, and I was never disappointed. Chicago remains one of my very favorite cities in the world.
  1. Load more activity