• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. liuzhou

Dinner 2019

Cauliflower stir fried with 晒兰 (shài lán), green and red chillies, garlic, ginger, Shaoxing wine and soy sauce. Served with rice and wilted spinach.
  3. Today
  4. weinoo

Dinner 2019

I also wonder if I'm better off buying frozen wild Alaskan salmon - usually it's sockeye or Coho, not my favorites as they can also dry out very quickly in cooking.
  5. weinoo

Dinner 2019

Yes. This was definitely salmon geared to the mass-market. Like the chicken breast of fish. I've also had pretty good farmed stuff; some of the Norwegian and Scottish fish is quite good.
  6. Anna N

Lunch 2019

Yes there is a fair bit of pork but it’s quite tasty. I did report back on the duck egg in the breakfast topic. It was a little overcooked to my mind but I wondered if that was the reheating. I put it into a 50°C bath for 15 minutes.I was wondering how you went about doing the reheating before service.
  7. chromedome

Dinner 2019

It certainly can't hurt to try. It's quite striking the difference aquaculture practices make. There are two salmon-rearing operations in my immediate vicinity, and when I opened my restaurant I tried them both head-to-head. One is among the largest players in salmon production, and they cater primarily to the price-sensitive mass market. Theirs was just sad...pale in color (not that color *really* matters) and equally insipid in flavor. The other was a smaller operation targeting a higher-end market niche, and theirs was vastly superior in every respect. Better color, better flavor, thicker fillets, firmer texture. Their cultivation practices were better as well, with pen densities at less than 1/3 of the populations stocked by their larger competitor. They also produce their own feedstocks, as opposed to buying feed. You'll have little trouble guessing which supplier I opted to use...
  8. I had a similar mishap with my most recent pot of steel-cut oats. Thought I'd turned the pot off, but instead somehow had just lowered the induction hob to its lowest setting. Left it to "cool" for an hour, and returned to a smell of overdone oatmeal cookies. About 2/3 of the pot was salvageable, though I deliberately didn't scrape out as much as I could have in order to limit the whiff of scorched-ness. Too damned cheap frugal to throw it out, so that's been my breakfast the past two days and I'll finish it tomorrow. Next batch will be babysat with the vigilance one normally reserves for a 3-year old with ADHD and a bellyful of chocolate-covered espresso beans.
  9. That's what crossing the border feels like for a Canadian. There's many a hard-drinking New Brunswicker who can cite in detail exactly how much you're allowed to bring back after a given length of visit, and I'm sure the same holds true for border areas of the other provinces. If "Two-buck Chuck" had a Canadian equivalent, it would be "Ten Buck Chuck" or something like that (or maybe "twelve-buck").
  10. nickrey

Lunch 2019

Seems to be a lot of pork in the green pepper duck terrine. How did the duck egg go?
  11. heidih

Cooking Goose

Oddly appealing. Thank you. The oatmeal is an interesting touch. - says the girl reading her laptop in bed hugging a bowl of butter and sugar cuz it is so freakin cold and I want to make the cookies. Seems to be working - butter has softened.. The things we do for friends...
  12. Duvel

Cooking Goose

You fry chopped onions in goose/duck fat or lard until well browned. Add finely chopped kale, add stock (ideally same animal, but any will do), bit of salt and nutmeg. Boil. Boil more. Together maybe 2h, then adjust seasonings, maybe pepper as well. Refridgerate overnight (this is important). Next day reheat, add a bit of oatmeal to adjust to a smooth consistency, boil for about 30 min more. Final adjustment of seasoning. Enjoy !
  13. heidih

Cooking Goose

How do you prepare the green cabbage? I am so so duck and goose feeling deprived...
  14. Duvel

Cooking Goose

I am doing the same with two ducks this year. Planning on SV at 135h for two hours, though. Shouldn’t matter ... For the confit I use the pretteatment of Keller’s Bouchon. Sauce is regular red wine reduction with some red currant preserve stirred in. Sides will be very traditional - potato Knödel with brown butter and roasted breadcrumbs, red cabbage with apples and a serving of Grünkohl (of course).
  15. My solution is no different then what's mentioned above, I temp the item, wipe as cleanly as I can on a paper towel, and put the thermometer in water. Whatever remains on the probe dissolves pretty quickly. I should mention that most of the boiling I do is for hard candy, so after a while I've gotten into the habit of just temping once to make sure it doesn't go too far, I can tell by the bubble size when I'm nearing the end. I know we all have our preferences, but I was never a fan of clipping a thermometer to the side of the pan. For me, it gets in the way of washing down the sugar crystals for pulled sugar, and impedes stirring for items like taffy or caramel.
  16. Delivery guy got a piece of pumpkin bread and was thrilled with the prospect of a touch of curry (South Asian lad). My Linzer squares turned into more of a brittle when a conversation with elderly neighbr droned on. I thought oven off - but nope. Salvaged 90% of sheet pan.. Tomorrow cookies and then baklava - hopefully kumquats ripe and mud not too gloopy.
  17. For the first time in, I believe, forever -- I neglected to score my boule. Comes from two weeks of attempting to bake rye. I am so ashamed. I desperately need a more capacious steam oven.
  18. Franci

Dinner 2019

Simple tonight. Grill key west jumbo shrimp and some crudités
  19. You eat your breakfast about when I serve dinner.
  20. My 2 cents: You don't need a thermometer for peanut brittle. You can go by sight and smell. I look for the boiling bubbles to be straw colored. If I used a thermometer, it would be the thermapen. You simply wipe the probe with a cloth towel between tests, if you are worried about it. My recipe is similar, but calls for butter, vanilla and salt. Once temp is reached, I remove from heat and stir in butter. vanilla and salt. This causes it to steam briefly. Then I add soda. It foams up almost to the top of the pot. Pour out and after a minute, I stretch to make it thin.
  21. Ann_T

Breakfast 2019

Didn't make dinner last night so I made it for breakfast. Grilled Pork Chop with potato gratin cooked in chicken broth, squash and Brussels sprouts.
  22. Margaret Pilgrim

Dinner 2019

Fresh cheese, red onion, EVOO Butter lettuce, EVOO, banyuls vinegar Packaged Italian sausage ravioli, butter and cheese
  23. Okanagancook

Cooking Goose

I made this about 10 years ago and have note "excellent sauce" on the recipe: https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/roast-goose-with-oranges-and-madeira-966 or you could make a port sauce. I don't SV duck breasts so can't advise but they should be similar to the way you do duck. Your sides sounds great...maybe some braised leeks too or a salad as this will be pretty rich. Nice price, I might add.
  24. heidih

Cooking Goose

I am a retro idjit.Just slow roast the dang goose. Drain and save fat for whatever, Sauce - something berry tart. Sure I am In the minority Please report back. And do prick rigourasly during process as the pricks tighten up as roast goes on. Then super high heat at end to crisp skin. And with the carcass - duck ramen is nice.
  25. robirdstx

Dinner 2019

Grilled Lamb Chops and Asparagus with a Salad
  26. So now Breville has both Joule and PolyScience circulators? Wonder how that will shake out.
  27. That makes sense. The rest of the cake is rather bland. I'll make sure to grind it, next time. Thanks!
  1. Load more activity