• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Anna N

Breakfast 2019

Fatoot samneh but made with sordough bread and a duck egg. Still good but better with pita. Must replenish.
  3. Anna N

Sous Vide Short Ribs

I think the beauty of sous vide short ribs is the opportunity to choose the consistency of the end product. Short ribs cooked to be steak-like are a revelation.
  4. Today
  5. gfweb

Sous Vide Short Ribs

To me, SV short ribs are very different from braised.Equally tender, but a very different taste. I prefer the braised in red wine with aromatic veg. SV short ribs are tasty meat, but braised is more than the sum of its parts.
  6. liamsaunt

Dinner 2019

Pot pie with shrimp, scallops, peas, and fennel
  7. You can find some discussions and explanations in this thread. Teo
  8. Nicolai

Dinner 2019

Artsy Farsty private dinner..... We had a nice dinner with a modern French styling prepared and served by a private Chef and we ate everything including the kitchen sink. First the printed menu as it makes things look more posh: Started with a salad or should I say une salade or Premier Plat which makes it even more pompous. The assaisonnement was perfect to work with the watermelon - Goat cheese and Passion fruit. This was followed by a medley of sea food and cut with a Sorbet of Soursop and Yuzu pearls which was heavenly The main were a kind of surf and turf which I personally find ridiculous. Filet Mignon and a Josper Prawn are too far away in taste and I do not see the point. They were both nice but there was only a single sauce which was for the Filet Mignon. Two dishes on the same plate. No dice for me. and finally the kitchen sink dessert and we had to roll back home.... The winners were the salad and the Sorbet.....
  9. CantCookStillTry

Dinner 2019

Red Thai Curry on the Bubble. I use the Mae Ploy Red Paste, but have to double the meat because my mens are carnivores and prefer Bites to Broth.
  10. There are a hundreds comments across dozens of threads about cooking beef short ribs by sous vide. I hope the admins dont mind me starting a thread dedicated to this topic to help consolidate some of the knowledge out there. I just picked up a ChefStep Joule this past week and want to break it in cooking some short ribs that are in the freezer. The times and temperatures I have seen vary wildly. What is the consensus here? Are their any good recipes I should check out? Right now my plan is to follow the information on Modernist cuisine's website and cook the ribs for 72 hours at 62c. I will give it a dry rub before going in the bag https://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/72-hour-braised-short-ribs/. I will then place them on the grill with barbecue sauce for a quick sear. This is subject to change based on new information from the peanut gallery. Thanks!! Dan
  11. JoNorvelleWalker

Dinner 2019

A fresh bowl of Momofuku ranch.
  12. Hello! I just have a quick question. Usually, I've been using an airbrush to color my molds. I've had to increase my production recently so, I purchased a Grizzly mini HVLP spray gun with metal cup. I've read that people usually leave it a warmer so that the cocoa butter doesn't set too quickly while spraying. Still though, on the first couple of times I've tried to use my spray gun, I've been finding that this little filter gets (picture shown) clogged first. I just wanted to ask if everyone that uses a spray gun leaves this on or is it okay just to leave it off? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
  13. Hello everyone! Could anyone please help me troubleshoot my soft butter caramels? I made two separate batches and let them sit over night. I cut and wrapped all of them, but the next day I found one of the batches looking like the caramel on the left, leaking butter. Any advice on what could have caused this? Any help is appreciated.
  14. Thankfully wine may legally be delivered in New Jersey. Can you call up by telephone and order wine to be delivered? If not, the strains of Gillian Welch's opus Dry Town are running through my head: "Hundred miles 'tween me and Missoula..." Your only recourse may be the ballot box or burning tires in the street.
  15. Cookies, flatbreads, pastry. I think I know now what pin I'll plan to get but first I want to experiment with the Beranbaum pin while I can still return it.
  16. Whoops, guess I should have mentioned, I use the metal bowl and dough roller when I mix cookie dough. Haven't tried the plastic bowl & dual whisks for cookie dough (based on your results I'm even less inclined to try that combo). I hope the cookies are tasty!
  17. heidih

Rolling pin

If I could find my ndian one I'd send it to ya. What us your major use?
  18. The Matfer (no, I'm not going to pay $94.80 for a French nylon rod) is 13/4 inches in diameter by 195/8 inches long. That seems a more reasonable size. However I wouldn't mind 24 inches personally.
  19. Here's my version of his recipe.
  20. liuzhou

Dinner 2019

Last night. 窝窝头 (wō wō tóu) buns stuffed with beef and Hunan pickled vegetables.
  21. Perhaps this is it click wherre it says John T to go to linkk. Software maddening me....
  22. A friend of mine had a hollow one years ago. The whole point of the exercise was to fill it with ice cubes, so it would keep your pastry super-cold as you roll it. I can't say I was impressed with it. I have two, a tapered one and one with handles. The one with handles is about 16" wide without the handles, and the...uh...barrel?...of it (the business portion) is about 3, maybe 3 1/2" in diameter. Works pretty well.
  23. @Kim ShookDid @JohnT post his recipe somewhere? They look amazing.
  24. I mixed my first cookie dough in the Ankarsrum. The Ankarsrum did not mix as well as I would have liked. The cookie recipe was KAF Crystal Diamonds. The dough for Crystal Diamonds is flour, milk, lemon oil, yeast, and salt; then with butter beaten in in increments. The dough merrily climbed the center column and crawled into the gears. I suspect the end result will be OK, though with more mess and pain than I anticipated. Another observation: Stretch-tite plastic wrap sticks to the Ankarsrum plastic bowl. Sticks as in "can't get it off".
  25. robirdstx

Dinner 2019

Bone-in Pork Loin Chops (Sous Vide for 2 hours at 140F and finished on the Grill) with Baked Sweet Potato and Steamed Broccoli
  26. @kayb - I think Chex mix is such a great thing to make. Everyone loves it, but no one ever makes it anymore. Kind of like Rice Krispy treats - the store bought just isn't as good. I am so freaking late doing everything this year. I seriously don't know if it is going to get done. My #1 priority is getting gifts and cards in the mail before it is too late. Then food. Sigh. Some things I'm doing while I deal with wrapping and addressing. @JohnT's sausage rolls (ready for the freezer) and baby quiche for Christmas breakfast: They are a little pale because I bake them just short of done since I bake them to get them hot when they are served. Lemon chess tarts:
  27. Get there early for the cheese though. I went in the afternoon for I think Humboldt Fog and it was gone and the associate said it was sold out almost immediately in the morning. Some cheeses are more sought after than others.
  1. Load more activity