• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. kayb

Making Food Gifts

Detailed mine over on the 2019 Holiday Cooking and Baking topic, here. Reckon we ought to ask the moderators to merge these two topics for simplicity?
  3. Best sauerkraut I ever made was when I bought four big heads of cabbage at the farmers market, came home, and made kraut that day. Those cabbages were better than six pounds each! I had more than 20 pounds of shredded cabbage, and my poor food processor was panting, and the kitchen floor and counters had cabbage everywhere! I went six weeks with it in a food grade plastic bucket, with one of those brewer's air-lock releases fitted into a hole I'd drilled in the top; perfect vessel. I'm down to one jar left (yeah, I know it kills the good probiotics when you can it, but I wanted shelf stable). Know that I'll be making more next spring!
  4. I unboxed and set up my new rotisserie today and plan to do a chicken on it tomorrow. This evening I’ll prepare the marinade and have it all ready. I’ve been impressed with how little grease and mess there is and no lingering odors in the the kitchen. Mine is definitely a keeper. Eager to try some Sous vide meats next.
  5. Well...we've begun. Peanut brittle. Crossing my fingers on this one. It's a recipe I haven't used, one where you use the microwave. Like @Kim Shook, I didnt get much foam, but I do have bubbles. Sweet and spicy nuts. Lawry's seasoned salt, smoked paprika, guajillo pepper, egg white. Chex mix! First of several batches I will make betwixt now and New Year's. As all the cooling/drying room is mostly taken, I believe I shall make a liquor store run before I take on anything else.
  6. I've been using my Control Freaks for a couple years now (one since Jan 2018 and the second from mid 2019) and I just using either Windex or a general spray cleaner. I've had no issues and they look pretty much brand new. One of the key things is to be sure to not put a pan on if there's any moisture on the surface (or other gunk) or it will be harder to clean. However even when grease/oil splatters and makes it's way under it's pretty easy to clean the surface. Just don't let it go through a bunch of cook cycles without being clean. I clean thoroughly after every cook.
  7. Sounds reasonable but like I say I am not an expert and haven't educated myself on the science of it. My point is that when Teonzo implied you can sous vide food directly in oil that is not true. The fish example is a specific technique and is not "sous vide".
  8. heidih

Making Food Gifts

How are you progressing? I do baked goods - my standards that people start hinting about around Thanksgiving to make sure they are on the "nice versus naughty list". Starting my deliveries today so they don' t get overwhelmed right at Christmas week. Serious Eats has a good summary of some of their simple (most) but interesting ideas https://www.seriouseats.com/roundups/homemade-food-gifts
  9. Have you checked the bookstore at Fleming College? They used to sell all kinds of things related to their culinary course. I have definitely seen toques, aprons and jackets there. This was years ago but I think the course is still being taught so you might want to have a look.
  10. Today
  11. @Anna N a long time ago , pre-SV i used to grill onion 1/4 era or 1/3ds on the grill charcoal w various other items , burgers ,meats etc. and i found for a 1/3 or 1/6th , ie cut the red onion in 1/2 , then in 3ds w a skewer in the onion to keep it together Id micro the skewered onions to do most of the cooking and use the grill for final browning w olive oil etc so everything was done at the same time grilling w 1/6th of a total onion took too much time and too much char. im not sure how this might help you on the PG but if you have many any sense of what im talking about im sure you can take the general idea and help you do the onions in the same amout of time as a SV chap best of luck !
  12. Welcome, Paul! Hope you find everything you need/want here! I'm looking forward to your contributions!
  13. I enjoy this so much! I am not allowing myself much break time (I am so far behind, I may have to postpone Christmas to February!), but THIS is on my "allowed" list!
  14. This is what I wanted for dinner yesterday evening but by the time I got around to thinking about it I had pretty much used up all my energy for the day. Did not want to miss another meal so it became lunch today. Loin lamb chops (SV’d), grilled onions, blistered Campari tomatoes.
  15. The really bad part is that was the first thought that I had (to look inside the dishwasher) but I thought "Nah, they would have done that".
  16. dcarch

Dinner 2019

Is that due to kitchen renovation over budget? Wonderful dinner! dcarch
  17. A fantastic concept and one that I and other family members are quite passionate about... If only there were an English version (copy and pasting an entire book to google translate.....no thanks!)
  18. Thanks for the laugh - 'the parts they needed were inside the dishwasher' 🤣 Too good. Sounds like something I would do (which is why I am allowed to laugh at it!!).
  19. It is no longer recommended to boil the single-use metal lids, assuming they have been purchased since 1969 when Ball switched from latex, which required softening to create a good seal, to plastisol, which does not need that step. In the questions on this page, Ball says they have never recommended boiling (212°F) lids, only simmering (180°F)
  20. This new dishwasher actually washes the dishes 😳
  21. While by no means was I preserving these due to an overabundance - I did try my hand for the first time at making pickled turnips (in the middle eastern style) and they came out fantastically! I also ran into a Russian couple loading a small shopping cart with our local farmers cabbages - me being me; I had to ask - "guessing someone is making sauerkraut!?" to which they laughed and confirmed. After some further chatting, I recognized why my initial batch failed (far too much salt) and she gave me some guidance and pleased to say my first successful batch has now been tasted! Though there is still a bit of a cabbage flavour, it is certainly fermenting and turning sour (the more the better!) Did I say how much I like pickley things!?
  22. Standard canning or "Ball" jars are cheap when purchased from a hardware store by the dozen and can be used year after year. If you are making jam or something with acid and sugar and are not instructed to boil the filled jars in a bath it is still a very good idea to sterilize the jars and the lids (not the rings) by covering them with water and boiling them for a bit of time. I usually keep them at a boil for ten or fifteen minutes and don't remove them from the hot water until just before filling. I agree with all the above that using regular glass jars is a bad idea. Most fruits for jams are seasonal and therefore you want to keep them for many months, sealed. I always count the pops of the lids to make sure they are sealed, and if any one jar doesn't pop properly, I just use that one first. Good advice above about checking for chipped rims; those jars won't seal adequately. And a word of caution: don't re-use lids, just the rings. If I were @Shelby and had a great garden I would can all kinds of stuff that needed a water bath. I've done it, and it's a lot of work, not to mention it is typically done in hot weather and you really work up a sweat. Not for the faint-hearted. Plenty of grannies on the farm have always done the heavy lifting of canning, but I would prefer to sit on a screened porch in a rocker and read a novel now that I've achieved granny age. Still waiting patiently for those babies, though!
  23. Hi Paul, and welcome to this forum.
  24. chromedome

Dinner 2019

Good enough. Lots of crisp skin. The bird of course was well done, because that's how this particular recipe works, but it was tasty enough and still moist. I bought two while they were on sale, and will probably do something different with the other one, but the results were perfectly acceptable.
  25. Okanagancook

Dinner 2019

As It happens, again, I made said five hour duck two nights ago....fail. Maybe it was my duck but the skin never really got crispy (fat was rendered though) and the meat got dried out. 😫 Don't know what I did. Followed instructions faithfully. How did yours turn out?
  26. I just remembered that a chef I know wears all kinds of patterned pants including, if I remember correctly, chili peppers. I have sent him a note, asking where he gets them. If he answers, I'll let you know.
  1. Load more activity