• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Today
  2. C. sapidus

Dinner 2024

Rajas de chile Poblano, mushroom, and chorizo tacos with tomatillo salsa and shallot relish
  3. Yesterday
  4. AlaMoi

Dinner 2024

black-eyed peas over rice; diced green pepper&cucumber soaked from dry, simmered in chicken stock + diced smoke bacon
  5. Norm Matthews

Dinner 2024

I thought I posted yesterdays dinner but I don't see it. It was ribs in the smoker. They turned out really salty. I was so upset I probably forgot. I dumped out the rib rub I had made a few months ago and started over from scratch. So i did another rack today and they turned really well. I have a few theories about what went wrong but they are just guesses. Whatever went wrong that one time, at least it was only one time.(fingers crossed) The recipes are all on my blog but the potato salad recipe calls for 5 pounds and I made it with one potato so even though I used all the same ingredients I estimated the proportions. The BBQ bean recipe came form Gates BBQ restaurant and used 110 ounces of canned baked beans. I mixed all the the additional ingredients in a separate bowl, poured them into a bottle and refrigerated it so I can add just the right amount no matter what size the can of beans I use and still have more in the refrigerator for next time.
  6. Thanks everybody. Lots of suggested reading which I intend to do, I just haven't had time. I did make fish tacos last night. Pan-fried panko'd cod, with a pineapple salsa. Wow, was that good! Thanks, @blue_dolphin for the suggestion.
  7. The only time I ever got sunburnt. I'm sure dehydration and salt depletion played a part in making those souvlaki and plastic bottles of water amongst the most beautiful things I've ever tasted!
  8. @ElsieD, another source of excellent taco ideas would be to search the forums for posts by @C. sapidus that include the word taco and scroll through the list of posts. He's shared tons of them over the years from delicious looking tacos in the breakfast topic that might feature leftovers as well purpose-built tacos in the Dinner topic and else where that might be traditional Mexican or fusion cuisine!
  9. Welcome, @YvetteMT. Looking forward to reading more about you!
  10. Looking forward to this. I went to Athens Inter-Railing as a teenager lo, many moons ago. My budget was tiny, and there was a heatwave so it was 30C at dawn, but the souvlaki I had on the street has stayed with me as a highlight and reference point all these decades later.
  11. C. sapidus

Breakfast 2024

Mushroom and chorizo tacos with white onion, garlic, and chipotle in adobo. Cumin, cinnamon, feta, and half-and-half to finish, topped with cilantro and chopped salad. Mushrooms were fried in leftover garlic oil. I might make something similar for dinner.
  12. Ooh, that stopped me in my tracks. Like someone designed a snack just for me!
  13. @YvetteMT thank you for finally joining Im hopefully you will contribute your experience in adding your local bounty to your plate. looking forward to your future posts . Many of us ( I ) love pics. thank you advance
  14. I know exactly what you are asking and don't have the answer but this sort of query always reminds me of a comment by Niloufer Ichaporia King in her book, My Bombay Kitchen: 🙃 Edited to add that because I'm a looker upper, I looked it up and I think this response to the question touched all bases: That last line cracks me up!
  15. Me alleguede RobertM Chocolot Sue PEI and sister Jane Diana D curls Dallas VistaGardens Eat.Choui Wendy Peterson Britney Audrey Brown and Melanie Willow and a promising R handed employee Gwbyls +1 Anniebakes RanaNM Madam Bonbon Delna Matcha Wizard - aka Jenna Rob K JanM Omar C
  16. Can Boston Cream Pie be frozen? I'm thinking of making individual ones and am wondering if I can do this.
  17. mgaretz

Dinner 2024

Grilled pork chop with steamed corn in butter, steamed broccoli.
  18. blue_dolphin

Breakfast 2024

The Global Pantry Cookbook is this month's book for the cookbook group I participate in so I tried their version of avocado toast sprinkled with a gremolata made with orange zest and furikake in addition to the usual parsley and garlic. It was OK but if I want a "global pantry" ingredient on my avocado toast, kimchi gets my top vote! The poached egg was not part of the recipe but I can never resist the opportunity to add a runny yolk!
  19. For a while we tried making corn tortillas. The presses are inexpensive, so it's worth the experiment. I too have not found a source for good ones. Even making them ourselves, the best ones used fresh masa from a Mexican market rather than the powdered Masa Marina that's easy to come by. So more often we make hybrid fish burritos, since I can get packaged flour tortillas that are pretty good. The topping is pretty much standard: a slaw of regular cabbage with the addition of cilantro and lime juice and my version of crema, which consists of creme fraiche mixed with a little Siggi's yogurt. We used to have a large Mexican supermercado that made their own crema and you could opt for salty or plain. For heat sometimes if I'm lazy I just use Tapatia in it or on the side, but in summer when there are good tomatoes I make a simple fresh salsa for a topping. In New Orleans I was blown away by the Cajun-Viet crossovers. So for my fish or shrimp burritos I sometimes use a hot cajun blackening seasoning before frying. Or if I'm feeling more like Mexican I marinate the fish in achiote paste before sautéing in butter or oil. I like deep fried fish but I'm too lazy to bother, and now I'm happy with my version.
  20. Ann_T

Breakfast 2024

I'd be happy with just these for any meal.
  21. Ann_T

Breakfast 2024

Last night's bake, sliced and toasted for Moe's breakfast.
  22. Katie Meadow

Breakfast 2024

You and @blue_dolphin make the most complex and healthy breakfasts I could ever imagine. I never cease to be amazed. Most of my breakfasts are just toast, buttered, often with our marmalade. If it weren't for my husband that would be it, with maybe some fruit. But he makes great pancakes and great biscuits and great bread, But now I'm back from NM and the frozen green chile we brought back actually managed to stay frozen. It's a pint container, certified Hatch chile and nothing else in the ingredients. And it's hot! So breakfasts have been scrambled eggs with green chile. God, I miss NM. It was so beautiful.
  23. liamsaunt

Dinner 2024

Penzey's fajita seasoning. I had a gallon sized bag of beets that I needed to use up before they went bad, so I made beet gnocchi with beet sauce and broccolini. My sister, husband and I all enjoyed it, but my nephew was absolutely horrified. He thinks beets are the worst vegetable in existence, so he got spaghetti and meatballs instead.
  24. The other are smoked chicken wings. The bacon was very good. I gave my venison supplier a pound and he returned with 2 pork bellies. It is cut and weighed out and ready to start curing this afternoon.
  25. liuzhou

Dinner 2024

Squid with snow peas, garlic, ginger, chilli, Chaoshan fish sauce, soy sauce, coriander leaf and Chinese chives. Rice.
  26. liuzhou

Dinner 2024

Shunyi. It's a suburb of Beijing. That said, dog isn't eaten so much in Beijing. Your pork may have been cooked in a similar manner but I'm sure (I hope) it didn't taste similar. It's chewy and rather off-tasting. Like nothing I've ever eaten before or since.
  27. chromedome

Dinner 2024

I had a young Chinese gent work for me at my restaurant, a recent graduate of the culinary program at our community college. I guess he was from somewhere in the environs of Beijing, but the name of the place meant nothing to me and he explained that it was where they'd held the rowing events at the Beijing Olympics. Not that this matters. I was gifted a Big Green Egg at around this time (long story, which I may or may not have told) and was doing barbecue on Fridays. The first time I smoked a pork shoulder for pulled pork, I gave samples to the servers and to him. He chewed it thoughtfully for a moment and commented that it was not unlike they way they cooked dog back where he was from. The servers were horrified. The poor guy had no idea he'd offended them, and thought it odd that they were so short with him for the rest of the night. I explained to him afterward that this was a cultural thing, and that he should probably just avoid the subject around locals.
  1. Load more activity